Forums/Armchair-GM

McAvoy Trade Value

Created by: Sonuvabirch69
Team: 2019-20 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 26, 2020
Published: Jan. 26, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
As heard in recent days, Charlie McAvoy could be on his way out of Boston due to his disappointing season.
Trades
BOS
    Anyone and Anywhere
    NYR
      Charlie McAvoy
      Buyouts
      Retained Salary Transactions
      Buried
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the BOS
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$81,500,000$78,396,667$0$2,432,500$3,103,333
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Boston Bruins
      $6,125,000$6,125,000
      LW
      NMC
      UFA - 6
      $6,875,000$6,875,000
      C
      NMC
      UFA - 3
      $6,666,667$6,666,667
      RW
      UFA - 4
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $7,250,000$7,250,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $1,250,000$1,250,000
      RW, C
      UFA - 1
      $3,200,000$3,200,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$450,000$450K)
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $1,275,000$1,275,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 2
      $2,800,000$2,800,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 2
      $850,000$850,000
      LW, C
      UFA - 2
      $700,000$700,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 2
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $5,250,000$5,250,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $4,900,000$4,900,000
      RD
      UFA - 3
      $7,000,000$7,000,000
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $2,750,000$2,750,000
      LD
      UFA - 4
      $2,850,000$2,850,000
      RD
      UFA - 2
      $2,750,000$2,750,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $2,000,000$2,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,750,000$2M)
      LD
      NMC
      UFA - 1
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $725,000$725,000 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
      RD
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 3:08 a.m.
      GM Hockeysaurus Rex
      I wouldnt believe that. Down seasons for young players happen all the time.
      aedoran liked this.
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 3:19 a.m.
      Where did you hear this?
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 3:28 a.m.
      Banned
      Rangers already gave to many good RHD’s. Unless Boston wants Trouba again that’s probably not happening.
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 3:44 a.m.
      Quoting: aedoran
      Where did you hear this?

Let’s just say, there are a bunch of things going around involving McAvoy, right now.
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 4:10 a.m.
      AJC13
      Quoting: ICantHaveFunWithMyUsername
      Let’s just say, there are a bunch of things going around involving McAvoy, right now.

Rumor does have it that "there are a bunch of things going around involving McAvoy right now." Personally I believe Boston wants to acquire Kreider and sign him long term. McAvoy would open up salary cap space and bring back a high draft pick and a prospect(s) to offset what would be traded for Kreider. Basically an indirect hockey trade of Kreider for McAvoy.
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 5:08 a.m.
      Banned

It's like dealing with the fake news. Where one networks reports it from an "undisclosed" source and then the other fake news networks then "confirm" it in a circular bs scheme
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 5:20 a.m.
      AJC13
      Quoting: pharrow
      It's like dealing with the fake news. Where one networks reports it from an "undisclosed" source and then the other fake news networks then "confirm" it in a circular bs scheme

I agree completely on what it's like dealing with fake news. But Boston does have a history of trading young players out with expensive contracts as soon as their game slips a little bit. Going back to Thornton, Doogie, and others along the way.
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 6:15 a.m.

So there is no source?
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 6:19 a.m.
      Banned
      Quoting: AJC13
      I agree completely on what it's like dealing with fake news. But Boston does have a history of trading young players out with expensive contracts as soon as their game slips a little bit. Going back to Thornton, Doogie, and others along the way.

A. If you think 4.9 million for a guy playing top line minutes is "expensive" than you have no idea what you are talking about.
      B. His whole year is just screwy. He doesn't have a consistent partner. I have seen him paired a lot with Chara who is a pylon. Other times with Krug, who isn't really good in his own end, which is why he gets almost 70% of his starts in the Ozone.
      I mean really, one guy can only do so much.
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 7:14 a.m.
      Bandwagon fairweathe
      A. If you think 4.9 million for a guy playing top line minutes is "expensive" than you have no idea what you are talking about.
      B. His whole year is just screwy. He doesn't have a consistent partner. I have seen him paired a lot with Chara who is a pylon. Other times with Krug, who isn't really good in his own end, which is why he gets almost 70% of his starts in the Ozone.

Mcavoy to Winnipeg please, could be one helluva a partner for morrissey and that blueline would be rebuilt rather quick, with heinola and samberg waiting in the wings and hopefully niku’s game has some leaps and bounds in it.
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 7:27 a.m.
      So there is no source?

The source is some hack in Boston looking for clicks and views.

22yr old 1st pairing d-men playing 23+ a night while having to worry about d- coverage because the opposition can blow past your old and slow d-partner..... and still on pace for close 30pts.

Remember when people were claiming Boston was trading Carlo because of a down year? Same crap just a different name inserted.
      aedoran liked this.
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 8:45 a.m.
      AJC13
      Edited Jan. 26, 2020 at 9:02 a.m.

$5 million being paid for the next 3 years to a 21 year old is expensive. If you believe otherwise you have no idea what you're talking about. McAvoy just turned 22, how much more could he have been payed when he signed the contract this offseason? Boston payed him the max contract to be the best D-man on the team and make everyone around him better. I don't care how "screwy" you believe his whole year has been and neither does Boson. Boston never has cared and probably never will. That is why if you look at what Boston has done in past history, as soon as a young player's game starts to slip that they just signed (or are about to sign) to an expensive (Max) contract, Boston trades him while he still has trade value. Like what they did with Thornton, Doogie, Tyler Sagan, and many others. Boston could receive in trade around what they will give up to acquire a home town boy like Kreider or someone else. Boston probably figures they like their depth chart better with Kreider or someone else than McAvoy.

Look at the ages of the Boston players, they are a win now team. Signing a 21 year old for $5 million for 3 years is risky. As past history dictates and with Boston being a win now team, they don't have the patience to wait for McAvoy to find his game because if he doesn't, McAvoy will lose all of his trade value. Krug is a top D-man, in spite of how he plays in his own end and Chara is not a complete pylon. Sometimes inexplicably a 21 year old goes into a slump for a year or two. That's the risk of signing a 21 year old for 3 years at $5 million. Same thing happened to Skjei on the Rangers and now he's got no trade value because he went into a slump for 2 years. Now he's just finally starting to play like the player NYR signed him for 5 years at $5 plus million. The Rangers were rebuilding, it made sense for them to hold on to him and wait until he found his game. Boston is a win now team and would probably rather have a for certain dominant player like Kreider than wait for McAvoy to find his game. This is just what Boston does, they always have. To not learn from history makes you a fool. Maybe Boston doesn't trade McAvoy, but to say I don't know what I'm talking about when through out history Boston has repeatedly done what I'm suggesting might happen, is completely idiotic.
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 9:12 a.m.
      @AJC13 dougie, and Seguin weren’t traded because of slumps or poor play. Dougie was moved because he wasn’t going to sign unless Freddie (his brother) was signed. Seguin was traded because he was a circus act off the ice. And Thornton was moved because they wanted to build around Bergeron. If you can find me 5 RHD thats on his second contract, under 25 y.o and plays top pair minutes for under 5 mil by all means I’ll agree his contract is expensive but tbh for what mcavoy can be and the role he’s playing he’s on a good contract, granted that it’s a bridge deal. But to call his contract expensive is definitely an overstatement
      MisstheWhalers liked this.
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 9:18 a.m.
      Edited Jan. 26, 2020 at 9:40 a.m.
      Where did you hear this?

Rumor does have it that "there are a bunch of things going around involving McAvoy right now." Personally I believe Boston wants to acquire Kreider and sign him long term. McAvoy would open up salary cap space and bring back a high draft pick and a prospect(s) to offset what would be traded for Kreider. Basically an indirect hockey trade of Kreider for McAvoy.

Source is Jimmy Murphy from Boston Sports Now who is a hack. Says an unnamed scout said don’t be surprised if Mac is traded.

And they would not trade Mac to make cap space for Kreider. They’d have to replace Mac as well.

Let’s say it was being considered. I could see them using Mac in a big package to go after Manson and either Kase or Rakell, or even all 3 from Ducks then create some cap space to go after Kreider. Not likely to happen, but they are not trading Mac for futures.
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 9:30 a.m.
      Quoting: ON3M4N
      The source is some hack in Boston looking for clicks and views.

22yr old 1st pairing d-men playing 23+ a night while having to worry about d- coverage because the opposition can blow past your old and slow d-partner..... and still on pace for close 30pts.

Remember when people were claiming Boston was trading Carlo because of a down year? Same crap just a different name inserted.

Except that was just dumb fans being dumb fans. There was never any mention in the media of Carlo being traded. And he was never as bad in his own end as Mac has been. I believe Murphy about as much as i believe in Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, or God. So.....
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 9:34 a.m.
      Quoting: Gofnut999
      Except that was just dumb fans being dumb fans. There was never any mention in the media of Carlo being traded. And he was never as bad in his own end as Mac has been. I believe Murphy about as much as i believe in Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, or God. So.....

The same guy talking about trading McAvoy did the same thing last year with Carlo....that's where the fans got it from.

Your right though Murphy is as believable as Santa and the easter bunny
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 9:48 a.m.
      MisstheWhalers
      Quoting: Birtle34
      Mcavoy to Winnipeg please, could be one helluva a partner for morrissey and that blueline would be rebuilt rather quick, with heinola and samberg waiting in the wings and hopefully niku’s game has some leaps and bounds in it.

And then he's gone after two seasons cause he doesn't/won't want to play in Winnipeg, not worth the risk.
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 9:56 a.m.
      AJC13
      Quoting: ngikas
      @AJC13 dougie, and Seguin weren’t traded because of slumps or poor play. Dougie was moved because he wasn’t going to sign unless Freddie (his brother) was signed. Seguin was traded because he was a circus act off the ice. And Thornton was moved because they wanted to build around Bergeron. If you can find me 5 RHD thats on his second contract, under 25 y.o and plays top pair minutes for under 5 mil by all means I’ll agree his contract is expensive but tbh for what mcavoy can be and the role he’s playing he’s on a good contract, granted that it’s a bridge deal. But to call his contract expensive is definitely an overstatement

I believe it's a great contract, but it's still expensive and the max a 21 year old D-man would be paid. Your missing the point... McAvoy is being paid top dollar and he better produce. Boston does not want to get stuck paying top dollar for a player that loses his trade value, like for example the Rangers did with Skjei. There are many other examples other than the 3 I listed of Boston trading away similar players, but it's irrelevant. Just don't be surprised if it becomes an indirect hockey trade of McAvoy for someone like Kreider.
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 11:09 a.m.
      john_michael
      We all agree it won't happen. McAvoy is part of the next wave of great D in this league. I wouldn't be worried about his season personnally.

That being said, just for fun, let's imagine his value on the market. Considering the Bruins are cup contender, they would probably be looking for an equivalent talented player, a forward I would guess. It would be a trade like the Ryan Johansen - Seth Jones trade. Boeser ? Barzal ? Meier ? Something like this maybe.
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 11:36 a.m.
      Isles7
      I believe it's a great contract, but it's still expensive and the max a 21 year old D-man would be paid. Your missing the point... McAvoy is being paid top dollar and he better produce. Boston does not want to get stuck paying top dollar for a player that loses his trade value, like for example the Rangers did with Skjei. There are many other examples other than the 3 I listed of Boston trading away similar players, but it's irrelevant. Just don't be surprised if it becomes an indirect hockey trade of McAvoy for someone like Kreider.

The only way the bruins would trade mcavoy is if they are getting a blue chip prospect in return, like a kaapo kaako or Trevor zebras from the ducks. It’s not happening.

Mcavoy is an elite defender that is struggling to put up points this season. Trading a 21 yr old top pairing defenseman that had elite underlying defensive metrics (while having most of his zone starts in the defensive zone) on a team that reached the Stanley cup finals is absurd. I’d take mcavoy on my team over guys like provorov and werenski any day.
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 1:51 p.m.
      Bandwagon fairweathe
      Quoting: MisstheWhalers
      And then he's gone after two seasons cause he doesn't/won't want to play in Winnipeg, not worth the risk.

They would still have some team control beyond that, but yes I understand the love/hate of wpg for players. I was just dreaming of how nice that blueline could be in a few seasons
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 2:10 p.m.
      MisstheWhalers
      Quoting: Birtle34
      They would still have some team control beyond that, but yes I understand the love/hate of wpg for players. I was just dreaming of how nice that blueline could be in a few seasons

Northeastern US born players typically want to play pro in that region and really don't want to be in western Canada, it's just the way it is so don't even dream about it.

Colin Miller from Sault St. Marie is a guy the Jets should target, that's where Maurice is from, maybe he'll actually play him, it worked for the clearly
      terrible Thorburn... Lol
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 2:45 p.m.
      Banned
      $5 million being paid for the next 3 years to a 21 year old is expensive. If you believe otherwise you have no idea what you're talking about. McAvoy just turned 22, how much more could he have been payed when he signed the contract this offseason? Boston payed him the max contract to be the best D-man on the team and make everyone around him better. I don't care how "screwy" you believe his whole year has been and neither does Boson. Boston never has cared and probably never will. That is why if you look at what Boston has done in past history, as soon as a young player's game starts to slip that they just signed (or are about to sign) to an expensive (Max) contract, Boston trades him while he still has trade value. Like what they did with Thornton, Doogie, Tyler Sagan, and many others. Boston could receive in trade around what they will give up to acquire a home town boy like Kreider or someone else. Boston probably figures they like their depth chart better with Kreider or someone else than McAvoy.

Look at the ages of the Boston players, they are a win now team. Signing a 21 year old for $5 million for 3 years is risky. As past history dictates and with Boston being a win now team, they don't have the patience to wait for McAvoy to find his game because if he doesn't, McAvoy will lose all of his trade value. Krug is a top D-man, in spite of how he plays in his own end and Chara is not a complete pylon. Sometimes inexplicably a 21 year old goes into a slump for a year or two. That's the risk of signing a 21 year old for 3 years at $5 million. Same thing happened to Skjei on the Rangers and now he's got no trade value because he went into a slump for 2 years. Now he's just finally starting to play like the player NYR signed him for 5 years at $5 plus million. The Rangers were rebuilding, it made sense for them to hold on to him and wait until he found his game. Boston is a win now team and would probably rather have a for certain dominant player like Kreider than wait for McAvoy to find his game. This is just what Boston does, they always have. To not learn from history makes you a fool. Maybe Boston doesn't trade McAvoy, but to say I don't know what I'm talking about when through out history Boston has repeatedly done what I'm suggesting might happen, is completely idiotic.

Quoting: ngikas

exactly this. What a bogus idea that he's expensive. Diding Rasmus Andersson get paid 4.5 and he's on what the 3rd pairing?
      Petterson on the penguins is going to get 4 range, he's on the 2nd pair. This is just nonsense. He was considered boston's best defenseman when he signed that deal.
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 3:05 p.m.
      AJC13
      exactly this. What a bogus idea that he's expensive. Diding Rasmus Andersson get paid 4.5 and he's on what the 3rd pairing?
      Petterson on the penguins is going to get 4 range, he's on the 2nd pair. This is just nonsense. He was considered boston's best defenseman when he signed that deal.

The Rangers might trade DeAngelo because his contract is going to have to increase to around $5 million next season and it might be too expensive for them to fit in under the cap. I'm not saying DeAngelo isn't worth upwards of $5 million, but the contract might be too expensive for the Rangers to fit in under the cap. I hope putting the explanation in a sentence that you could understand puts an end to your bogus idea that he's not expensive. Sooo shut up and quit ****ing like a Pharrow.
      Jan. 26, 2020 at 3:19 p.m.
      Banned
      The Rangers might trade DeAngelo because his contract is going to have to increase to around $5 million next season and it might be too expensive for them to fit in under the cap. I'm not saying DeAngelo isn't worth upwards of $5 million, but the contract might be too expensive for the Rangers to fit in under the cap. I hope putting the explanation in a sentence that you could understand puts an end to your bogus idea that he's not expensive. Sooo shut up and quit ****ing like a Pharrow.

you are clueless. 4.9 million for a guy playing top pairing is not expensive. You have no point to make at all.
      Chabot got 8 million a year. 8 Million. you are complaining about 4.9 for a guy on the top line. Just shut up.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll