Forums/Armchair-GM

If Sullivan and Rutherford realize Riikola is a lot better than Jack Johnson

Created by: Chigurrhh
Team: 2019-20 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 26, 2020
Published: Jan. 26, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Anaheim was supposedly interested in Jack when he was a free agent. He certainly fits what Bob Murray likes and Bob was willing to actually give the Penguins something for Gudbranson. I don't think it should take that much to get them to take Jack Johnson.

And if they are tanking to get a high pick, there is no better tank commander. Expert at tipping pucks into his own net.

Obviously, a trade like this would have to wait until Dumoulin came back. Then the Penguins have a replacement 4LD in Del Zotto, who isn't good but also isn't signed beyond this year.
Trades
ANA
  1. Johnson, Jack
  2. Miletic, Sam
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (PIT)
  4. 2022 3rd round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
Miletic isn an AHL All-star this year.
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$72,306,625$132,500$3,700,000$9,193,375
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$874,125$874,125
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 26, 2020 at 10:35 a.m.
Rikola is a giveaway machine, also i dont think johnson has that much negative value, i mean we traded gudbranson and hes a lot worse than jj and we didn't add anything
Jan. 26, 2020 at 10:36 a.m.
Did Miletic actually go to the all-star game? The only WBS guy I saw was Agozino, bc I remember thinking I wish Miletic would have made it over him
Jan. 26, 2020 at 10:37 a.m.
Quoting: Mathmanmatt141
Rikola is a giveaway machine, also i dont think johnson has that much negative value, i mean we traded gudbranson and hes a lot worse than jj and we didn't add anything

Guddy is miles better than JJ, and when Riikola was paired with Marino they were dominant, and when he's been paired with CHAD RUHWEDEL he's been able to firm a competent pairing
Jan. 26, 2020 at 10:56 a.m.
Shibbal18
But he doesnt make as much as Johnson
Jan. 26, 2020 at 11:02 a.m.
Anaheim won’t want Jack Johnson, they already got Gubranson. I bet that Rutherford was trying To trade Johnson there but ANA said they wanted Gubranson instead, because of the contract and he was a right shot guy with some talent, just big and slow.
Jan. 26, 2020 at 11:20 a.m.
Chiggy
Quoting: AFOX10900
Did Miletic actually go to the all-star game? The only WBS guy I saw was Agozino, bc I remember thinking I wish Miletic would have made it over him

Miletic ended up being his replacement.
Dan10900 liked this.
Jan. 26, 2020 at 11:21 a.m.
Chiggy

Riikola is having a better season by pretty much every metric. A third pairing guy with good results and couple of giveaways is not an issue.

Johnson is also worse than Gudbranson. Not sure where you are getting the opposite. Gudbranson is also younger and right handed.
Dan10900 liked this.
Jan. 26, 2020 at 11:45 a.m.
Much like with Simon getting top line duties or Kessel getting the boot... Johnson's position on the team has nothing to do with the coach or GM.
Jan. 26, 2020 at 12:29 p.m.
Chiggy
Quoting: Yojimbo
Much like with Simon getting top line duties or Kessel getting the boot... Johnson's position on the team has nothing to do with the coach or GM.

Odd then that they tried to trade him multiple times before the season, including a Minnesota trade that only didn't happen because Kessel turned it down.
Jan. 26, 2020 at 12:41 p.m.
god like
Quoting: Chigurrhh
Odd then that they tried to trade him multiple times before the season, including a Minnesota trade that only didn't happen because Kessel turned it down.

yes they tried everything to dump JJ before this year. JJ play has been a lot better this year. still getting rid of cap hit would be a good thing.
Jan. 26, 2020 at 12:51 p.m.
god like
Riikola is having a better season by pretty much every metric. A third pairing guy with good results and couple of giveaways is not an issue.

Johnson is also worse than Gudbranson. Not sure where you are getting the opposite. Gudbranson is also younger and right handed.

Riikola is alot more valuable than JJ younger more athletic, cheaper, more room to improve. JJ has been hits leader and shot blocker while covering Letangs ass while dumoulins been out. still dump JJ asap
Jan. 26, 2020 at 3:15 p.m.
Banned
the logic here tells it all.
"Riikola is so much better than JJ.....but we should wait to do this until Dumo is back"
Why is that? Because JJ is actually playing much better than Riikola would on those top line minutes until Dumo gets back?
I mean right there doesn't that say it all.
I mean if he was so much better why wait. Hell move him now.
But it doesn't make any sense. And even you know it, but you just want to hate on the guy.
Jan. 26, 2020 at 3:37 p.m.
Chiggy
Quoting: pharrow
the logic here tells it all.
"Riikola is so much better than JJ.....but we should wait to do this until Dumo is back"
Why is that? Because JJ is actually playing much better than Riikola would on those top line minutes until Dumo gets back?
I mean right there doesn't that say it all.
I mean if he was so much better why wait. Hell move him now.
But it doesn't make any sense. And even you know it, but you just want to hate on the guy.

Letang has played with Riikola occasionally in the past few games and the results are fine. Rutherford has expressed his preference for seeing how the team looks healthy before making moves. It makes sense that this would happen after Dumoulin comes back, especially because Dumoulin can then jump back on the PK.

Jack Johnson is bad and has a bad contract. He seems like a nice guy but he's bad at hockey. There's a ton of evidence out there that says this. He's literally scored on his own net multiple times this year. He looks terrible by pretty much every metric. I'm sorry that you like him and wish him to do well.

I don't hate him. I just want to be rid of him because he's bad.
Jan. 26, 2020 at 4:15 p.m.
Banned
Letang has played with Riikola occasionally in the past few games and the results are fine. Rutherford has expressed his preference for seeing how the team looks healthy before making moves. It makes sense that this would happen after Dumoulin comes back, especially because Dumoulin can then jump back on the PK.

Jack Johnson is bad and has a bad contract. He seems like a nice guy but he's bad at hockey. There's a ton of evidence out there that says this. He's literally scored on his own net multiple times this year. He looks terrible by pretty much every metric. I'm sorry that you like him and wish him to do well.

I don't hate him. I just want to be rid of him because he's bad.

"I don't hate him. I just with he wouldn't do well" tears of joy

go read some click bait press wanting to chase JJ out in your little hate group.

Yes he's an over paid 3rd pairing guy. Many teams have worse players though.
Jan. 26, 2020 at 4:35 p.m.
Chiggy
"I don't hate him. I just with he wouldn't do well" tears of joy

I see you struggle with English as well as having rational thought. You really are the worst user here.
Jan. 26, 2020 at 8:14 p.m.
Banned
I see you struggle with English as well as having rational thought. You really are the worst user here.

no rational person could read what you wrote and walk away with that interpretation. You can be mad that I point it out but you wrote it.

" I'm sorry that you like him and wish him to do well.

I don't hate him."

Basically says, I wish him to do awful and hate him.

It's ok you are a JJ hater. Just admit it. It's not the PC internet world. You are allowed to not like people.
You clearly hate him, as a player, that's alright.
Admitting a problem is the 1st step to recovery.
Jan. 26, 2020 at 8:49 p.m.
Chiggy
Just admit it. It's not the PC internet world. You are allowed to not like people.

Well, yes. I've made it clear that I don't like you very much. And I really dislike the way Jack Johnson plays and the negative impact he has everywhere on the ice.

You seem to want to ignore this evidence due to your bias. You like him. That's ok. But you don't have to ignore reality.
Jan. 26, 2020 at 9:09 p.m.
Banned
Well, yes. I've made it clear that I don't like you very much. And I really dislike the way Jack Johnson plays and the negative impact he has everywhere on the ice.

You seem to want to ignore this evidence due to your bias. You like him. That's ok. But you don't have to ignore reality.

no bias, he was awful last year. Playing on his off side.
But no one can really say that this year. He did ok for a 3rd pairing guy.
Many guys played worse on other teams.
Hell you got guys in this league already in the minus 20s and 30s.
You are complaining about JJ. It could be much worse. Especially how poor some of the goaltending has been.
Jan. 26, 2020 at 9:13 p.m.
Chiggy
no bias, he was awful last year. Playing on his off side.
But no one can really say that this year. He did ok for a 3rd pairing guy.
Many guys played worse on other teams.
Hell you got guys in this league already in the minus 20s and 30s.
You are complaining about JJ. It could be much worse. Especially how poor some of the goaltending has been.

He played on the left side for half the year last year and was still horrible! There's another example of you just making things up. It's ridiculous.

Many guys other guys in the league being bad is not a good reason to have him on your team if you ideally are one of the top teams. Boston has David Backes. They waived him. You don't have to keep these guys on the roster.

Talking about +/- like that is also very stupid. Put him on a team like Detroit and he would also have an extreme minus. It's a terrible stat to begin with and you make yourself look bad by using it like that.

He's the worst player in the organization that isn't on a <$1 million contract. Getting rid of that is a good thing.

Every time you comment here you fabricate and twist everything. Debate and discourse is ok. What you do is not.
Jan. 26, 2020 at 9:30 p.m.
Banned
He played on the left side for half the year last year and was still horrible! There's another example of you just making things up. It's ridiculous.

Many guys other guys in the league being bad is not a good reason to have him on your team if you ideally are one of the top teams. Boston has David Backes. They waived him. You don't have to keep these guys on the roster.

Talking about +/- like that is also very stupid. Put him on a team like Detroit and he would also have an extreme minus. It's a terrible stat to begin with and you make yourself look bad by using it like that.

He's the worst player in the organization that isn't on a <$1 million contract. Getting rid of that is a good thing.

Every time you comment here you fabricate and twist everything. Debate and discourse is ok. What you do is not.

actually he played much better on the Left last year. You make things up.
He went from a -20 something playing on the right last year to like a -3 on his Left.
Clearly there was improvement and most people recognized that last year, but apparently not you.
Hell even started the year off ok with Schultz, which was amazing in itself given how bad Schultz is in the defensive zone. But that got messed up due to injury and then he went to the right side and it was down hill from there till he went back to the Left. Remember how bad it was when they benched him in the playoffs. I mean really, that was so bad it lasted 1 game.
But hey, reality isn't for everyone.
Jan. 26, 2020 at 10:47 p.m.

I mean Riikola isn’t a giveaway machine. Idk where you got that? He’s not even averaging 1 giveaway per game. Letang is the giveaway machine on the defense.
But I agree with the rest in that JJ doesn’t have negative value like the typical JJ haters seem to believe.
I’d also be ok with trading him for a similar return that Guddy got too.
Goavs141 liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 12:06 a.m.
Chiggy
actually he played much better on the Left last year. You make things up.
He went from a -20 something playing on the right last year to like a -3 on his Left.
Clearly there was improvement and most people recognized that last year, but apparently not you.
Hell even started the year off ok with Schultz, which was amazing in itself given how bad Schultz is in the defensive zone. But that got messed up due to injury and then he went to the right side and it was down hill from there till he went back to the Left. Remember how bad it was when they benched him in the playoffs. I mean really, that was so bad it lasted 1 game.
But hey, reality isn't for everyone.

He was horrible on both sides last year. Matt Murray was better in the second half of the season and the puck went in a lot less (another reason why plus minus is trash). The other team was still generating lots of chances with him on the ice.

Stop using plus minus. Stop pretending a bad player isn't bad. It really isn't difficult.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 12:42 a.m.
Banned
He was horrible on both sides last year. Matt Murray was better in the second half of the season and the puck went in a lot less (another reason why plus minus is trash). The other team was still generating lots of chances with him on the ice.

Stop using plus minus. Stop pretending a bad player isn't bad. It really isn't difficult.

Being bad and not being a top pair player are two different things. I'm sorry you don't get that.
He had the fewest number of goals given up on the team when he was on the 3rd pair.
How can you complain about that.
And giving up shots doesn't mean anything. Teams will allow you to have all kinds of garbage shots.
The real issues are how many fast breaks was he allowing the other way, how many really bad turn overs was he at fault for. And the truth is, those numbers were low.
Stop complaining. You act like other teams have Bobby Orr on their 3rd pairing.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 9:48 a.m.
Chiggy
Being bad and not being a top pair player are two different things. I'm sorry you don't get that.
He had the fewest number of goals given up on the team when he was on the 3rd pair.
How can you complain about that.
And giving up shots doesn't mean anything. Teams will allow you to have all kinds of garbage shots.
The real issues are how many fast breaks was he allowing the other way, how many really bad turn overs was he at fault for. And the truth is, those numbers were low.
Stop complaining. You act like other teams have Bobby Orr on their 3rd pairing.

Please stop being ignorant. Please stop evaluating players based on goals scored while they are on the ice. Understand that that ice time, shooter performance, goalie performance are things that impact this.

Please understand that there are metrics that tell you how dangerous the shots are when a player is on the ice.

The ignorance is amazing.

It's a really bad player that is a lot worse than a replacement level player. It's really that simple.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 10:09 a.m.
Banned
Please stop being ignorant. Please stop evaluating players based on goals scored while they are on the ice. Understand that that ice time, shooter performance, goalie performance are things that impact this.

Please understand that there are metrics that tell you how dangerous the shots are when a player is on the ice.

The ignorance is amazing.

It's a really bad player that is a lot worse than a replacement level player. It's really that simple.

You keep saying this. But funny how just about every game I watch he's making solid plays.
But hey, you keep judging him off last year and keep hating him. And I'll keep over here knowing he's played solidly in a 3rd pairing role.
Not that I want to keep a 3rd pairing guy that cost 3+ million a year, I don't. But at least it's not as bad as what a lot of other teams have out on the ice.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll