Forums/Armchair-GM

If Sullivan and Rutherford realize Riikola is a lot better than Jack Johnson

Created by: Chigurrhh
Team: 2019-20 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 26, 2020
Published: Jan. 26, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Anaheim was supposedly interested in Jack when he was a free agent. He certainly fits what Bob Murray likes and Bob was willing to actually give the Penguins something for Gudbranson. I don't think it should take that much to get them to take Jack Johnson.

And if they are tanking to get a high pick, there is no better tank commander. Expert at tipping pucks into his own net.

Obviously, a trade like this would have to wait until Dumoulin came back. Then the Penguins have a replacement 4LD in Del Zotto, who isn't good but also isn't signed beyond this year.
Trades
ANA
  1. Johnson, Jack
  2. Miletic, Sam
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (PIT)
  4. 2022 3rd round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
Miletic isn an AHL All-star this year.
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$72,306,625$132,500$3,700,000$9,193,375
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$874,125$874,125
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 27, 2020 at 11:29 a.m.
Chiggy
Quoting: pharrow
You keep saying this. But funny how just about every game I watch he's making solid plays.
But hey, you keep judging him off last year and keep hating him. And I'll keep over here knowing he's played solidly in a 3rd pairing role.
Not that I want to keep a 3rd pairing guy that cost 3+ million a year, I don't. But at least it's not as bad as what a lot of other teams have out on the ice.

"funny how just about every game I watch he's making solid plays."

Funny how that data all says that he contributes much more negative than positive. This is the bias I was talking about. You want him to succeed and have confirmation bias whenever you see him make a decent play.

"But at least it's not as bad as what a lot of other teams have out on the ice.'

You keep saying this but it doesn't make sense. The idea is for the team to be a lot better than the rest of the league. Also, most t teams do not have a regular defenseman that has such a negative impact.

This isn't normal.

EOqcBVsX4AEM-19?format=png&name=900x900

This is a actually a pretty decent improvement from last season. Problem is that it's still really bad.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 11:51 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Chigurrhh
"funny how just about every game I watch he's making solid plays."

Funny how that data all says that he contributes much more negative than positive. This is the bias I was talking about. You want him to succeed and have confirmation bias whenever you see him make a decent play.

"But at least it's not as bad as what a lot of other teams have out on the ice.'

You keep saying this but it doesn't make sense. The idea is for the team to be a lot better than the rest of the league. Also, most t teams do not have a regular defenseman that has such a negative impact.

This isn't normal.

EOqcBVsX4AEM-19?format=png&name=900x900

This is a actually a pretty decent improvement from last season. Problem is that it's still really bad.

honestly, your attempts are pathetic. They are so isolated and meaningless.
Take a guy like Jake Muzzin.
Are we all suppose to believe he's a bad defense man too?

https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/teamShotLocDefWi/1920/TOR/muzzija89/wrap

That's just from one team looking at the defense.
Where the truth is, these bias charts don't account for a lot of issues. Like the fact that without JJ on the PK there is a lot more activity directly in front of the net.
https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/teamShotLocDefWoPK/1920/PIT/johnsja87/wrap
compared to with him.
https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/teamShotLocDefWiPK/1920/PIT/johnsja87/wrap
Directly on his side.

So you can keep looking at graphs that you are incapable of really understanding but think are meaningful because they have some colors but really it's clear you don't get it.
There are Bright red areas on a lot of guys heat maps.
It doesn't mean they are "bad defense men" or what ever you want to call it.
Because the truth is if you look at the 5v5 map without JJ
https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/teamShotLocDefWo/1920/PIT/johnsja87/wrap

There is a whole lot less red from way outside the net.
And you add that with poor rebound control from a goalie and of course there is going to be more shots where JJ is at.
You aren't going to win every puck down there and the goalies aren't giving help by controlling the shots from the outside.

But let me guess, all those outside shots are JJ fault too?
Seems to me there is a lot more to be talking about there than that.
You just want to blame one guy as your scapegoat, there are guys like you everywhere.
But truth is there are a lot of defensemen in the league who's maps look the same. Can find one on just about every single team. And even if you put in a new body back there, there is no guarantee that it gets any better because clearly they aren't getting the help to actually succeed. As if shots flying from the perimeter and lack of rebound control is going to stop from whoever else you put on the ice. It's not.

If you bothered to actually look at the goalie maps you'd realize the vast majority of the shots on the penguins are coming from the the side circle out. to the center of the ice.

Because they know they are going to get rebounds there. Mainly because the glove hand is on the other side side.
If you could actually figure that out maybe you'd start to understand what the fancy colors you are looking at mean.
Because it's pretty clear looking at that heat map that they aren't getting support from the forwards.
And hence battling for pucks below.
But you know, JJ is the only one in the whole league who's chart looks like that. Keep believing that. You can find guys like that on every team. And worse.
Jan. 28, 2020 at 12:02 a.m.
Chiggy
honestly, your attempts are pathetic. They are so isolated and meaningless.
Take a guy like Jake Muzzin.
Are we all suppose to believe he's a bad defense man too?

https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/teamShotLocDefWi/1920/TOR/muzzija89/wrap

That's just from one team looking at the defense.
Where the truth is, these bias charts don't account for a lot of issues. Like the fact that without JJ on the PK there is a lot more activity directly in front of the net.
https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/teamShotLocDefWoPK/1920/PIT/johnsja87/wrap
compared to with him.
https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/teamShotLocDefWiPK/1920/PIT/johnsja87/wrap
Directly on his side.

So you can keep looking at graphs that you are incapable of really understanding but think are meaningful because they have some colors but really it's clear you don't get it.
There are Bright red areas on a lot of guys heat maps.
It doesn't mean they are "bad defense men" or what ever you want to call it.
Because the truth is if you look at the 5v5 map without JJ

There is a whole lot less red from way outside the net.
And you add that with poor rebound control from a goalie and of course there is going to be more shots where JJ is at.
You aren't going to win every puck down there and the goalies aren't giving help by controlling the shots from the outside.

But let me guess, all those outside shots are JJ fault too?
Seems to me there is a lot more to be talking about there than that.
You just want to blame one guy as your scapegoat, there are guys like you everywhere.
But truth is there are a lot of defensemen in the league who's maps look the same. Can find one on just about every single team. And even if you put in a new body back there, there is no guarantee that it gets any better because clearly they aren't getting the help to actually succeed. As if shots flying from the perimeter and lack of rebound control is going to stop from whoever else you put on the ice. It's not.

If you bothered to actually look at the goalie maps you'd realize the vast majority of the shots on the penguins are coming from the the side circle out. to the center of the ice.

Because they know they are going to get rebounds there. Mainly because the glove hand is on the other side side.
If you could actually figure that out maybe you'd start to understand what the fancy colors you are looking at mean.
Because it's pretty clear looking at that heat map that they aren't getting support from the forwards.
And hence battling for pucks below.
But you know, JJ is the only one in the whole league who's chart looks like that. Keep believing that. You can find guys like that on every team. And worse.

There are many issues with what you wrote here but I'm just going to focus on the fact that you seem incapable of reading or interpreting a chart.

Red on the outside is good. It means that this is where teams are taking shots (more than average). These are lower percentage shots. Good defensive teams keep their shots to the outside.

Johnson's heat map tells us that compared to the average defensemen, there are a lot more shots coming from the crease when he's on the ice. This is partially because he concedes the space and lets players stand there and also because he's very bad at defending from that spot. I shouldn't need to explain this to you.

How can you blame poor rebound control on what happens when JJ is on the ice when it's not true when he's off the ice? You aren't making any sense.

I shouldn't expect much from someone that doesn't even know how to use the word "bias" properly.
Jan. 28, 2020 at 12:09 a.m.
Banned
There are many issues with what you wrote here but I'm just going to focus on the fact that you seem incapable of reading or interpreting a chart.

Red on the outside is good. It means that this is where teams are taking shots (more than average). These are lower percentage shots. Good defensive teams keep their shots to the outside.

Johnson's heat map tells us that compared to the average defensemen, there are a lot more shots coming from the crease when he's on the ice. This is partially because he concedes the space and lets players stand there and also because he's very bad at defending from that spot. I shouldn't need to explain this to you.

How can you blame poor rebound control on what happens when JJ is on the ice when it's not true when he's off the ice? You aren't making any sense.

I shouldn't expect much from someone that doesn't even know how to use the word "bias" properly.

No you seem incapable of reading the chart. Because if you look at the 5v5 with and without JJ you realize that that the chart without JJ the whole outside is a lot less Red than with him.
Which means there are shots coming from everwhere when he's on the ice.
In general there are more shots when he's on the ice. And when you wake up and realize that the forwards aren't suppressing their shots. Then clearly there are going to be scrums for pucks and shots on the inside. This is not hard to figure out.
My god, you have no comprehension of the game at all.
Without
With
https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/teamShotLocDefWi/1920/PIT/johnsja87/wrap

Can you figure out the Fing difference?

Tell me, where are the forwards suppressing the shots? They are non existance.
When forwards don't suppress shots what happens next....oh yeah, the scrum for the shots and eventual rebounds. DUH!!!!!!!!!!
Jan. 28, 2020 at 1:16 a.m.
Chiggy
Edited Jan. 28, 2020 at 1:24 a.m.
No you seem incapable of reading the chart. Because if you look at the 5v5 with and without JJ you realize that that the chart without JJ the whole outside is a lot less Red than with him.
Which means there are shots coming from everwhere when he's on the ice.
In general there are more shots when he's on the ice. And when you wake up and realize that the forwards aren't suppressing their shots. Then clearly there are going to be scrums for pucks and shots on the inside. This is not hard to figure out.
My god, you have no comprehension of the game at all.
Without
With
https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/teamShotLocDefWi/1920/PIT/johnsja87/wrap

Can you figure out the Fing difference?

Tell me, where are the forwards suppressing the shots? They are non existance.
When forwards don't suppress shots what happens next....oh yeah, the scrum for the shots and eventual rebounds. DUH!!!!!!!!!!

"In general there are more shots when he's on the ice. "

It's almost like.....he's really bad or something. And it's a waste of energy to explain to you why he is bad. When you are bad at getting the puck out of your zone and bad at defending, the results are bad.

Your inability to understand that he is a significant negative impact and your attempts to justify it by blaming rebounds and forwards is absurd. This is what happens when he's on the ice. It's isolated. And it happens regardless of who he plays with.
Jan. 28, 2020 at 5:08 a.m.
Banned
"In general there are more shots when he's on the ice. "

It's almost like.....he's really bad or something. And it's a waste of energy to explain to you why he is bad. When you are bad at getting the puck out of your zone and bad at defending, the results are bad.

Your inability to understand that he is a significant negative impact and your attempts to justify it by blaming rebounds and forwards is absurd. This is what happens when he's on the ice. It's isolated. And it happens regardless of who he plays with.

it's almost like you can't defend your arguments so you keep trying to avoid them and then say "you can't understand"

You have not made one coherent point in this whole argument.
You say "its his fault there is a big red spot in the heat map in the front of the map"
Then you refuse to recognize all the shots coming from the outside leading to the scrum in the front of the net because the goalies are bad a puck control that leads to those shots.

So you just babble some other mess out trying to defend it.
I hate to break it to you, there are 4 other guys on the ice not getting the puck out of that end. 4
Yet you keep wanting to blame it on him.
Here is reality for you. The outside shots, are not JJ fault. Period. That is where it starts.
The goalies not being able to settle the puck and control it, is not JJ fault. Period.
These are where the problems are starting from.
No he's not Bobby Orr, but he really isn't the issue on the ice either.
You want to say "he's bad at getting the puck out of your zone" my god, the whole freaking team is bad getting the puck out of their zone. Have you missed that ALL YEAR LONG.
It's not just JJ. And it doesn't just fall on him.
To be honest, he's not nearly as bad as you want to make him.
Up until he got put on the 3rd pairing he actually was over 50% on his corsi.

You sit here talking nonsense non stop.
A. he is currently playing way above his head. And has been left there doing that for some time due to Dumos injury.
But for someone who has no business there, he's at least done a better than expected job at doing it.
B. When he's on the 3rd pairing where he belongs, his game and the results have been really pretty solid this year. To the point where even the hating news media can't deny it and have had to swallow their pride.
"This year the offensive contributions are still among the worst on the team, but the defensive contributions have been ... pretty good."
"But he has improved his game, he is more than just a passenger defensively this season, and he deserves credit for that."
https://www.pensburgh.com/2019/12/16/21023928/lets-have-an-honest-objective-talk-about-jack-johnson

So please, take your closed minded and closed eyes, your blinded hate for the guy and just shove it.
You are clue less. You hate the guy and that's that.
The writer of that article has done nothing but rip JJ since they signed him. And even he has had to admit he's not that bad.

The truth is, anyone with any slight bit of hockey knowledge knows he's not that bad of a player. Yes he's over paid for a 3rd pairing guy. And there is no way he should have been signed to a 5 year deal.
But why the hell are you blaming him for that. That's not his fault the GM make a stupid mistake. Hell you might as well blame Crosby for that. But you'll never do that.

The reality of it is, he has helped the team not hurt it nearly as much as you want to claim.
And when Dumo comes back and he goes back where he belongs in a 3rd pairing role, the team will look better.
Period.
So please, take that ignorance and disappear with it and your arrogant ass comments.
Jan. 28, 2020 at 9:21 a.m.
Chiggy
it's almost like you can't defend your arguments so you keep trying to avoid them and then say "you can't understand"

You have not made one coherent point in this whole argument.
You say "its his fault there is a big red spot in the heat map in the front of the map"
Then you refuse to recognize all the shots coming from the outside leading to the scrum in the front of the net because the goalies are bad a puck control that leads to those shots.

So you just babble some other mess out trying to defend it.
I hate to break it to you, there are 4 other guys on the ice not getting the puck out of that end. 4
Yet you keep wanting to blame it on him.
Here is reality for you. The outside shots, are not JJ fault. Period. That is where it starts.
The goalies not being able to settle the puck and control it, is not JJ fault. Period.
These are where the problems are starting from.
No he's not Bobby Orr, but he really isn't the issue on the ice either.
You want to say "he's bad at getting the puck out of your zone" my god, the whole freaking team is bad getting the puck out of their zone. Have you missed that ALL YEAR LONG.
It's not just JJ. And it doesn't just fall on him.
To be honest, he's not nearly as bad as you want to make him.
Up until he got put on the 3rd pairing he actually was over 50% on his corsi.

You sit here talking nonsense non stop.
A. he is currently playing way above his head. And has been left there doing that for some time due to Dumos injury.
But for someone who has no business there, he's at least done a better than expected job at doing it.
B. When he's on the 3rd pairing where he belongs, his game and the results have been really pretty solid this year. To the point where even the hating news media can't deny it and have had to swallow their pride.
"This year the offensive contributions are still among the worst on the team, but the defensive contributions have been ... pretty good."
"But he has improved his game, he is more than just a passenger defensively this season, and he deserves credit for that."
https://www.pensburgh.com/2019/12/16/21023928/lets-have-an-honest-objective-talk-about-jack-johnson

So please, take your closed minded and closed eyes, your blinded hate for the guy and just shove it.
You are clue less. You hate the guy and that's that.
The writer of that article has done nothing but rip JJ since they signed him. And even he has had to admit he's not that bad.

The truth is, anyone with any slight bit of hockey knowledge knows he's not that bad of a player. Yes he's over paid for a 3rd pairing guy. And there is no way he should have been signed to a 5 year deal.
But why the hell are you blaming him for that. That's not his fault the GM make a stupid mistake. Hell you might as well blame Crosby for that. But you'll never do that.

The reality of it is, he has helped the team not hurt it nearly as much as you want to claim.
And when Dumo comes back and he goes back where he belongs in a 3rd pairing role, the team will look better.
Period.
So please, take that ignorance and disappear with it and your arrogant ass comments.

"Then you refuse to recognize all the shots coming from the outside leading to the scrum in the front of the net because the goalies are bad a puck control that leads to those shots."

1. There are more shots coming from everywhere when he's on the ice. This is what happens when one of your D is a possession black hole and can't get the puck out.

2. Your theory about goalies being bad a puck control doesn't hold any weight because it doesn't happen when Jack ins't on the ice.

4. Blaming everyone else for his inadequacies just makes your argument weaker.

3. You keep repeating this even though I've explained that it's really stupid.

4. I give up.
Jan. 28, 2020 at 10:29 a.m.
Banned
"Then you refuse to recognize all the shots coming from the outside leading to the scrum in the front of the net because the goalies are bad a puck control that leads to those shots."

1. There are more shots coming from everywhere when he's on the ice. This is what happens when one of your D is a possession black hole and can't get the puck out.

2. Your theory about goalies being bad a puck control doesn't hold any weight because it doesn't happen when Jack ins't on the ice.

4. Blaming everyone else for his inadequacies just makes your argument weaker.

3. You keep repeating this even though I've explained that it's really stupid.

4. I give up.

There you go again. I mean really. Muzzin must suck as a defense man according to you, because you know. There is a red dot on his heat map.

It's just nonsense. Even his harsh critics in the media have broken down to the facts that he's not that bad. The trib caved, the blogs have caved. But you keep with it.
Frustrated that I won't join on your little hate spree.
I mean really. It is what it is.
And you have no real response because that's all it is.
Jan. 28, 2020 at 11:24 a.m.
Chiggy
There you go again. I mean really. Muzzin must suck as a defense man according to you, because you know. There is a red dot on his heat map.

It's just nonsense. Even his harsh critics in the media have broken down to the facts that he's not that bad. The trib caved, the blogs have caved. But you keep with it.
Frustrated that I won't join on your little hate spree.
I mean really. It is what it is.
And you have no real response because that's all it is.

Muzzin having bad results in the relatively small sample this year and on a team where everyone is pretty bad defensively doesn't really tell us a whole lot. These Johnson results are bad every year and with every team he is on.

My response: You want him to be good. He's not good.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll