Caufield arrives in March

Created by: Blazingbat11
Team: 2019-20 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 27, 2020
Published: Jan. 27, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Book it!

Only debate is who does he play with? Suzuki and Domi? KK and Drouin? Danault and Tatar? or....wait for it.....plays on his off wing with Danault and Gallagher?!
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
Trades
MTL
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (FLA)
Additional Details:
Pick is conditional: If FLA make it to the 2nd rd of the playoffs. 3rd rd pick becomes a 2nd.
MTL
  1. 2020 4th round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Thompson, Nate
  2. 2020 5th round pick (FLA)
MTL
  1. 2021 4th round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$71,746,308$0$4,165,000$9,753,692
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 7
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$257,500$258K)
G
RFA - 3
$748,333$748,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$771,666$771,666 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 27, 2020 at 1:35 a.m.
How do you know? He can stay in college as long as he wants
Jan. 27, 2020 at 1:52 a.m.
I've watched him play quite a bit being a Badger fan. His game isn't ready for the NHL. It's not even a size thing, it's the lack of a 2-way game. His d-zone play is below average for the college level.

He'll need AHL time to round out his game.
a1111, CD282 and exo2769 liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 1:59 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: papishark
How do you know? He can stay in college as long as he wants

No idea if he comes or goes, just guessing. He did say from the get go (after the draft, and again at camp) that he wants to get to the NHL as fast as possible. And Bergevin also stated more times than I can count that he thinks Caufield only does one year in the NCAA. but how knows, people can change their minds. Look at Primeau, he intended to stay for a 3rd year in college. he did two. Poehling said he wanted to do his max 4 years, he did 3. Caufield said he wanted to do zero lol and basically had no choice but to do (at least) 1. Odds of Wisconsin's season ending in March are high, my guess after their done, Caufiled signs with the Habs, plays a few games, and perhaps tries to go to Laval with their playoff run if he can be eligible.
papishark liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 2:01 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: wabit
I've watched him play quite a bit being a Badger fan. His game isn't ready for the NHL. It's not even a size thing, it's the lack of a 2-way game. His d-zone play is below average for the college level.

no disagreement there, I'm not sure how AHL playoff eligibility works. but I see no issue with Caufield signing, playing a few Habs games to test the waters, then go to Laval for the playoffs
RobbStark03 liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 2:08 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
His defensive game needs work, no doubt. He won't be a perfect player.

But the goal scoring hype is real imo.

https://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/wisconsin-badgers-cole-caufield-hat-trick-notre-dame-college-hockey-012520
RobbStark03 liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 2:08 a.m.
Why on earth rush him? Habs rushed JK and look how that turned out so far. Caufield is far away from being an NHLER
Jan. 27, 2020 at 2:50 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: mhockey91
Why on earth rush him? Habs rushed JK and look how that turned out so far. Caufield is far away from being an NHLER

You entailing somehow the Kotkaniemi is a bust already? lol

Kotkaniemi's "sophomore slump" is real, but extremely overrated. The two injuries he's had didn't help. but if you actually take a deep look, it's not as bad as many (none Hab fans) claim it to be.
1. Kotkaniemi is still on pace to score more goals than he did in his rookie season, even if he will have played less games. Not to mention his shot output is ridiculously low (even for the amount of games he's played). Joel Armia has been getting praised all season for the amount of goals he's scoring... yet Kotkaniemi still has a better shooting% than he does... If KK would just shoot at the same pace as Armia, he'd have 14g in 35 games...
2. The majority of his assists last season came to feeds he was giving to Byron and Armia, by a large margin. This season Byron has sucked (than got injured) and Armia got promoted to the 2nd line with Domi. KK's main linemates this year have been Weal (Garbage) and Poehling (offensively struggling). Almost every Hab fan here could tell you the amount open nets KK has set up, but with no one to finish.
3. Kotkaniemi's defensive game is underrated, and Julien simply refuses to use him in defensive situations (which doesn't help his development either). Not to mention Julien's general use of KK is just getting frustrating to watch, and time and time again, the only excuse that comes out of Julien as to why he doesn't use him is "he's just a kid", literally no other explanation, every. single. time.

Kotkaniemi still needs to develop, no doubt about it (his transition game for me is his biggest weakness), but he still has off the charts skills, I just think when dealing with players of such high skills, the coach needs to make adjustments on how to best utilize them, Julien has been the complete opposite for the last year or so, where for the first half of last season, he wasn't (where ironically enough, that's when KK thrived, so did Drouin...)

TL: DR No Hab fan is worried with KK. He needs to continue to fill out his frame, work on his skating and he'll be just fine.
RobbStark03 liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 2:58 a.m.
Quoting: Blazingbat11

Kotkaniemi's "sophomore slump" is real, but extremely overrated. The two injuries he's had didn't help. but if you actually take a deep look, it's not as bad as many (none Hab fans) claim it to be.
1. Kotkaniemi is still on pace to score more goals than he did in his rookie season, even if he will have played less games. Not to mention his shot output is ridiculously low (even for the amount of games he's played). Joel Armia has been getting praised all season for the amount of goals he's scoring... yet Kotkaniemi still has a better shooting% than he does... If KK would just shoot at the same pace as Armia, he'd have 14g in 35 games...
2. The majority of his assists last season came to feeds he was giving to Byron and Armia, by a large margin. This season Byron has sucked (than got injured) and Armia got promoted to the 2nd line with Domi. KK's main linemates this year have been Weal (Garbage) and Poehling (offensively struggling). Almost every Hab fan here could tell you the amount open nets KK has set up, but with no one to finish.
3. Kotkaniemi's defensive game is underrated, and Julien simply refuses to use him in defensive situations (which doesn't help his development either). Not to mention Julien's general use of KK is just getting frustrating to watch, and time and time again, the only excuse that comes out of Julien as to why he doesn't use him is "he's just a kid", literally no other explanation, every. single. time.

Kotkaniemi still needs to develop, no doubt about it (his transition game for me is his biggest weakness), but he still has off the charts skills, I just think when dealing with players of such high skills, the coach needs to make adjustments on how to best utilize them, Julien has been the complete opposite for the last year or so, where for the first half of last season, he wasn't (where ironically enough, that's when KK thrived, so did Drouin...)

TL: DR No Hab fan is worried with KK. He needs to continue to fill out his frame, work on his skating and he'll be just fine.

I didn't say he was a bust. I simply said Habs shouldn't have rushed him to the NHL so quick. he clearly doesn't look like an NHL pro this year and playing 4th line minutes isn't helping his development
CD282, exo2769 and ColonelX liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 3:47 a.m.
a11111
Edited Jan. 27, 2020 at 8:31 a.m.
Quoting: Blazingbat11

Sounds all good . But you can add his number of assistance (2) in decline ! The fact that at least one injury seem to be faked while his play was abyssal .He's got the worst minus (-12) of all team and have been given the Finns line a good amount of time + regular first gig PP where he play like a sniper in the middle but his (too long) stick isn't even in position .
Talking about that playing a 12 foot pole might be ok on olympics dimension rings but in tight window i don't see him outplay a lot of guys in Nhl .
KK gonna develop into some Martin Hanzal , Mikko Koivu kinda players , but this is down the stretch he's very raw . He's been awful in faceoffs also .
Im not discouraged but i can't help myself and think about Quinn Hugues-Shea Weber or a Domi-Tkachuck duo .
Let's hope it's learning curve for the teenager but a terrible year let's face it . 8 pts in 35 ! But he does look lost on the ice sometimes .
I would have send him to world junior for his own mental sake .
Jan. 27, 2020 at 7:32 a.m.
john_michael
All interesting takes here. May I just answer your question about who Caufield should play with when he comes ? For some reason, I'd like to see a line Drouin - Suzuki - Caufield. Drouin is a great passer, he'll feed Caufield every time. The defensive game might be the weakness of this line, reason why I would like to have Suzuki in the middle. Any thoughts ?
Jan. 27, 2020 at 8:29 a.m.
exo2769
Edited Jan. 27, 2020 at 8:43 a.m.
Quoting: wabit

Having seen a couple games myself (not all and probably not as many as you) I think he and Turcotte need another go around. That team with the talent they have shouldn't be in last place in the Big Ten. The team with the most 1st round picks in the WJC wasn't an NHL team. It was the Badgers...that doesn't include Dylan Holloway either. All prospects develop at different paces/rates. Nothing against any individual's talent at all. He'll be a scoring machine. Just needs a little more time to develop.

***EDIT*** I guess MSU dropped a bit below them...2nd to last now.
mhockey91 liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 9:15 a.m.
Evans truther
We need to stop rushing guys in but even more important stop burning all their ELCs! We need to develop our youth outside of the league so when their game's good enough for the NHL they aren't already past their ELC, that's how the new league works. If
mhockey91 and exo2769 liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 9:18 a.m.
Quoting: ColonelX
We need to stop rushing guys in but even more important stop burning all their ELCs! We need to develop our youth outside of the league so when their game's good enough for the NHL they aren't already past their ELC, that's how the new league works. If

nailed it
Jan. 27, 2020 at 9:22 a.m.
v5 CBJ GM
If Kovalchuk is traded it means:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Suzuki
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Byron - Thompson - Caufield
Jan. 27, 2020 at 10:16 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: MaxDomi13
If Kovalchuk is traded it means:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Suzuki
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Byron - Thompson - Caufield

Having Caufield on the 4th line with those bruisers...He'll get injured. MTL fans shouldn't want these lines.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 12:27 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: exo2769
Having Caufield on the 4th line with those bruisers...He'll get injured. MTL fans shouldn't want these lines.

Then what
Lehk on 4th line
exo2769 liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 12:50 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: MaxDomi13
Then what
Lehk on 4th line

I'm speaking more from the point of view that Caufield is a pure top 6 winger skill. He's going to be a great player, but he needs to play with other talent. I mentioned earlier that he needs to develop more before he comes to the NHL. I stick with that. Keep Developing him and keeping his ELC/RFA years in MTL control until MB knows 110% sure he's ready. Why rush him? That's all. Just my opinion that if he goes to the 4th line he's not really getting the right type of development against very physical lines.

***EDIT*** another way of looking at it. He's a goal scorer. Right now a pure goal scorer. How many Ozone starts is the 4th line going to get? That's all.
Jan. 28, 2020 at 12:00 a.m.
Quoting: exo2769
Having seen a couple games myself (not all and probably not as many as you) I think he and Turcotte need another go around. That team with the talent they have shouldn't be in last place in the Big Ten. The team with the most 1st round picks in the WJC wasn't an NHL team. It was the Badgers...that doesn't include Dylan Holloway either. All prospects develop at different paces/rates. Nothing against any individual's talent at all. He'll be a scoring machine. Just needs a little more time to develop.

***EDIT*** I guess MSU dropped a bit below them...2nd to last now.

They've done odd things in UW this year. This team just isn't meshing together. Tons of talent, but they aren't playing well together at all. Part of that is probably the talent on the team is all young (Fresh and Soph). It as expected to be somewhat of a down year, but not this bad, because of the players ages.
exo2769 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll