SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Sandin - Burn it or not?

Jan. 27, 2020 at 7:55 p.m.
There's been alot of rumors/speculation and reports of the Leafs talking to various teams for D and goaltending help so this got me thinking.

I know the Leafs are burning a year on Sandin's ELC so this is question about how you would handle the rest of this season.
If there's a trade on the table for whatever D/goaltending help, would you still burn a year off Sandin's ELC?

Let's assume for for the sake of this scenario that the Leafs are offered a D with term and under a decent contract.

So would you?

@Trickster , @Laudan, @Jamiepo , @Jack_ , @swinny, @Sign_em_up000000, @blowing_the_zone , @Jangle29 , @Random2152, @palhal, @tomato43 , @OldNYIfan , @BCAPP I want to hear what you lot have to say.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 7:59 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quick, send him down now!!!

I'm not burning the year, simply not worth it.

Play Marincin, who I hate, or Gravel, or Finnish guy
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 9:20 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: oneX
There's been alot of rumors/speculation and reports of the Leafs talking to various teams for D and goaltending help so this got me thinking.

I know the Leafs are burning a year on Sandin's ELC so this is question about how you would handle the rest of this season.
If there's a trade on the table for whatever D/goaltending help, would you still burn a year off Sandin's ELC?

Let's assume for for the sake of this scenario that the Leafs are offered a D with term and under a decent contract.

So would you?

@Trickster , @Laudan, @Jamiepo , @Jack_ , @swinny, @Sign_em_up000000, @blowing_the_zone , @Jangle29 , @Random2152, @palhal, @tomato43 , @OldNYIfan , @BCAPP I want to hear what you lot have to say.

So would you?

Of course you make the trade. Need an rhd with term.
Quoting: Trickster
Quick, send him down now!!!

I'm not burning the year, simply not worth it.

Play Marincin, who I hate, or Gravel, or Finnish guy

Then he puts up a goal and an assist in the first half. Beauty.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 9:25 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Jamiepo
Of course you make the trade. Need an rhd with term.

Then he puts up a goal and an assist in the first half. Beauty.

Not doubting Sandin talent.
100% believe in him.

Burn the year? Nope.
oneX and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 9:28 p.m.
100% believe in him.

Burn the year? Nope.

Yeah not sure any of the guys I tagged would doubt his talent...the question surrounds around burning an ELC year even if Dubas manages to find D and/or goaltending help.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 9:36 p.m.
A lot of things to consider here, first I wouldn't burn a year of Sandin but it don't matter what I think lol. It would all be depending on who the D was that was coming back and what we're giving up to get him... But hypothetically, if we can get a young(ish) rhd with term for a fair return than yeah, I'd pull the trigger same goes for a backup.

What do you want to see happen and what do you think will happen? Also, who do you have in mind for this scenario?
oneX and Trickster liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 9:41 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
100% believe in him.

Burn the year? Nope.

Burning the year isn't a huge deal. If anything it will help to keep his 2nd contract down. The real decision that we need to make is whether to sit him for 3 more games at some point so he doesn't play 40 and get to Ufa a year sooner. He is NHL ready now, mo is hurt and we need a d upgrade now. Burn it to the ground.
GenXHockey, oneX, tomato43 and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 9:43 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
100% believe in him.

Burn the year? Nope.

Yeah not sure any of the guys I tagged would doubt his talent...the question surrounds around burning an ELC year even if Dubas manages to find D and/or goaltending help.

There is a huge difference between looking at names and numbers and dealing with real people. Sandin is ready and can help the team. He’s in. Any gm would do the same. Shooting yourself in the foot to save a buck is not how the nhl is run.
oneX, BCAPP, tomato43 and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 9:43 p.m.

No doubt about his talent but alot of people on here seem to think he and lilly can step in and replace Rielly's minutes, much like how they were claiming Dermott was our top pair rhd. The kid will be good but it's going to take time for him to become that, also, does anyone else get the feeling that the FO isn't as high on lilly?

I'd like to take a moment and go off track here for a moment and say R.I.P Black Mamba his daughterand everyone else who was on that helicopter...so sad, I'm still in shock he was only 41 and his daughter was only 13???? his legend will live on!!!
Jan. 27, 2020 at 9:45 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
No doubt about his talent but alot of people on here seem to think he and lilly can step in and replace Rielly's minutes, much like how they were claiming Dermott was our top pair rhd. The kid will be good but it's going to take time for him to become that, also, does anyone else get the feeling that the FO isn't as high on lilly?

I'd like to take a moment and go off track here for a moment and say R.I.P Black Mamba his daughterand everyone else who was on that helicopter...so sad, I'm still in shock he was only 41 and his daughter was only 13???? his legend will live on!!!

Was anyone claiming Dermott was our top pair Rd? I'm a huge backer of him but we are all saying he will be a top 4 guy.
Trickster liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 9:46 p.m.
There is a huge difference between looking at names and numbers and dealing with real people. Sandin is ready and can help the team. He’s in. Any gm would do the same. Shooting yourself in the foot to save a buck is not how the nhl is run.

I get what you're saying, but there's a good chance we miss the playoffs and we would have burned a year for nothing.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 9:51 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
Was anyone claiming Dermott was our top pair Rd? I'm a huge backer of him but we are all saying he will be a top 4 guy.

Yeah, there was alot of people claiming he could play with Rielly (not anyone on the list) and I tried to caution them that I didn't think he was ready for the increase in minutes plus covering up for Reilly's defensive shortcomings while playing against the oppositions best players every night...at least not at this point in his career.
Trickster liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 9:53 p.m.
I get what you're saying, but there's a good chance we miss the playoffs and we would have burned a year for nothing.

That would hurt...burn a year and then not make the playoffs.
Sign_em_up000000 and Trickster liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 9:54 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Yeah, there was alot of people claiming he could play with Rielly (not anyone on the list) and I tried to caution them that I didn't think he was ready for the increase in minutes plus covering up for Reilly's defensive shortcomings while playing against the oppositions best players every night...at least not at this point in his career.

Playing with Rielly and being a top pairing dman are two very different things. I also think he should be playing with Rielly. Hell, my lines next year are:

Muzz-holl
Mo-liljegren
Sandin-dermott

The order written and who plays with who means nothing in terms of talent evaluation, rather who complements who best
oneX, GenXHockey and Trickster liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 10:02 p.m.
That would hurt...burn a year and then not make the playoffs.

It's a realistic possibility unfortunately.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 10:04 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Playing with Rielly and being a top pairing dman are two very different things. I also think he should be playing with Rielly. Hell, my lines next year are:

Muzz-holl
Mo-liljegren
Sandin-dermott

The order written and who plays with who means nothing in terms of talent evaluation, rather who complements who best

Agree 100% 3 solid pairs rather than 1-2-3.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 10:07 p.m.

Muzz-holl
Mo-liljegren
Sandin-dermott

This was when people thought that Muzzin and Barrie would be our second pair (myself included) but I don't think Dermott should be paired with Rielly IMO they wouldn't mesh well together over the long run, I'm sure they would be fine in short stretches but I think that's too much to put on dermy at this stage in his career.

Edit: I want to keep Sandin and Lily together because of the chemistry those two have together.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 10:11 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
This was when people thought that Muzzin and Barrie would be our second pair (myself included) but I don't think Dermott should be paired with Rielly IMO they wouldn't mesh well together over the long run, I'm sure they would be fine in short stretches but I think that's too much to put on dermy at this stage in his career.

Edit: I want to keep Sandin and Lily together because of the chemistry those two have together.

I (and pronman agrees) think lily would be the yang to riellys yin.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 10:12 p.m.
Agree 100% 3 solid pairs rather than 1-2-3.

This was under Babcock when it was 1,2,3 and not viewed as 3 solid pairings. You were one of the people I talked to about this at the time, obviously, things are different now but I still don't think Rielly and Dermott would make a good pairing at this point in Dermott's career. Just my opinion
Jan. 27, 2020 at 10:14 p.m.
I (and pronman agrees) think lily would be the yang to riellys yin.

Yeah, I think those two would pair nicely together. Do you get the feeling that the FO isn't as high on Lily anymore...or is it just me?
Jan. 27, 2020 at 10:17 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Yeah, I think those two would pair nicely together. Do you get the feeling that the FO isn't as high on Lily anymore...or is it just me?

I mean, we always knew he was unlikely to hit his ceiling due to injuries in key development years, but I see him as still being able to be 80% of Spurgeon, which is exactly what the doctor ordered for this team
Jan. 27, 2020 at 10:21 p.m.
I mean, we always knew he was unlikely to hit his ceiling due to injuries in key development years, but I see him as still being able to be 80% of Spurgeon, which is exactly what the doctor ordered for this team

Don't get me wrong, I haven't wavered on him but it seems like the FO has to me. I love the kid I think he's going to be a staple on our backend for years to come...assuming he doesn't get traded.
Trickster liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 10:23 p.m.

Just you imo. If the FO had soured on Liljegren, we would have heard rumors surrounding him but we haven't...unless you want to break some news?
Jan. 27, 2020 at 10:27 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Just you imo. If the FO had soured on Liljegren, we would have heard rumors surrounding him but we haven't...unless you want to break some news?

Missed the first, what happened to kappy tonight? Did it look bad?
Jan. 27, 2020 at 10:29 p.m.

No news to break thankfully, and hopefully, it's just me because I want to see this kid stick around for a long time. I'm probably reading too much into it but the first time they called him up he didn't play then he gets put in as our 7th D. I know we already have Holl, Barrie and Ceci but if this team wants to ice the best team than why not scratch Ceci and pencil in Liljegren? Otherwise why burn a year off of Sandin?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll