Forums/Armchair-GM

Big changes - thoughts - NYR WPG COL

Created by: yikes
Team: 2019-20 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 30, 2020
Published: Jan. 30, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Sharks are done. I wholeheartedly believe SJS is done, the team knows it now and Wilson does too. Your “starter” blew the game, sunk the team when they were playing well.

This team has no confidence and Jones has no confidence. He needs a change of scenery. He needs to be bought out or traded. There is clearly something wrong; he is not our goalie anymore and I believe/ HOPE to see changes made in the coming weeks.
Trades
SJS
NYR
    Through process on this trade.

Georgiev is worth minimum a 2nd

Labanc is worth a minimum a first/ should fetch more then Kreider (better contract, RFA, younger, not a huge difference in points on a brutal team).

Andersson is worth nothing/ more valuable to the team then to another team (like a 4th or less).

Howden is struggling and could also use a change of scenery. Worth more then andersson but obviously not more then Georgiev.

Basically offering Georgiev and Howden for Labanc and true + a pick for lias andersson
    SJS
    1. Kamenev, Vladislav
    2. 2020 4th round pick (COL)
    COL
    1. Marleau, Patrick
    2. Thornton, Joe ($1,000,000 retained)
    SJS
    1. Ho-Sang, Joshua
    2. 2020 4th round pick (NYI)
    NYI
    1. Karlsson, Melker ($1,000,000 retained)
    SJS
    1. 2020 2nd round pick (WPG)
    2. 2020 3rd round pick (WPG)
    WPG
    1. Dillon, Brenden ($1,627,200 retained)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$81,500,000$67,930,407$660,750$1,265,000$13,569,593
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the San Jose Sharks
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 6
    $925,000$925,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the New York Islanders
    $874,125$874,125
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    Logo of the New York Rangers
    $863,333$863,333
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $736,666$736,666 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    C, LW
    RFA - 2
    $700,000$700,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LD/RD
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $1,900,000$1,900,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $5,280,000$5,280,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 6
    $792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
    G
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $960,000$960,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $675,000$675,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $800,000$800,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 8
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    C
    UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:02 a.m.
    Jetsfan
    No thanks. Its like us trading Kulikov, Appleton and a 3rd for your 2nd and Labanc
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:04 a.m.
    EklundCelebriniSmith
    Quoting: Jetman
    No thanks. Its like us trading Kulikov, Appleton and a 3rd for your 2nd and Labanc

Dillon isn’t kulikov but ok; I just picked Roslovic based of the past inner rumblings of a trades request I will change it if he’s back as a main piece of the team
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:06 a.m.
    Yeah that's an easy no from Rangers and it's easy to see why in your rationale....

Howden is younger than True. He's the same age as Blitchfield and Gregor. And unlike all the Sharks I just listed, Howden has performed at the NHL level, logging big minutes in ****ty situations. He's on the #1 PK unit. Not sure why we'd sell him short for a guy like True who can't get out of the AHL.

I'd say the easiest thing to do is drop Howden and the pick from the trade.

Georgiev + Lias for Labanc and True seems fair for everyone.
    Root liked this.
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:07 a.m.
    EklundCelebriniSmith
    Quoting: Sagecoll
    Yeah that's an easy no from Rangers and it's easy to see why in your rationale....

Howden is younger than True. He's the same age as Blitchfield and Gregor. And unlike all the Sharks I just listed, Howden has performed at the NHL level, logging big minutes in ****ty situations. He's on the #1 PK unit. Not sure why we'd sell him short for a guy like True who can't get out of the AHL.

True has no relation to howden. It was true for lias.

Lias doesn’t bring much value as to why I picked howden.

Labanc for lias Georgiev isn’t fair imo and so if I were to counter i would say

Howden Georgiev for Labanc True
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:08 a.m.
    Jetsfan
    Quoting: yikes
    Dillon isn’t kulikov but ok; I just picked Roslovic based of the past inner rumblings of a trades request I will change it if he’s back as a main piece of the team

Dillon has 13 points in 52 games, Kulikov has 5 in 31...thats 9 in 52...so no, not quite. The only major difference is that Kulkiov is injured often...but both are UFA's so its not that big of a deal for 2 months...
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:09 a.m.
    True has no relation to howden. It was true for lias.

Right...which means you're treating Howden like a throw in...the difference in value between Labanc and Georgiev is minuscule.
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:09 a.m.
    EklundCelebriniSmith
    Dillon has 13 points in 52 games, Kulikov has 5 in 31...thats 9 in 52...so no, not quite. The only major difference is that Kulkiov is injured often...but both are UFA's so its not that big of a deal for 2 months...

Points Isn’t the main value of a defender
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:10 a.m.
    EklundCelebriniSmith
    Right...which means you're treating Howden like a throw in...the difference in value between Labanc and Georgiev is minuscule.

I edited my comment sorry re read it

As to minuscule I also disagree
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:10 a.m.

He has already tied his goals from last year in less games ..thats not struggling thats developing in his 2nd year on a ****ty team.
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:15 a.m.

But it’s not fair. Anderson is worth nothing and Georg is not worth Labanc by himself. The rangers would need to add something to make the sharks consider a trade and that something is not a third or a guy who refuses to even try at the AHL level
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:16 a.m.
    Jetsfan
    Points Isn’t the main value of a defender

Nope...exactly my point..both are defensive D's...who play about 20 mins per game...Kulikov has a negative aura around him as his salary is too high and he was injured a lot over the last few years...but as a player, he is a decent D.
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:18 a.m.
    I edited my comment sorry re read it

As to minuscule I also disagree

I mean that's OK. Allow me to retort. The last 3 goaltenders traded to be
    1. Under 27
    2. Have at least 50 Career Starts
    3. Finish in the top 15 in GSAx over the 2 years before they were traded (it's the main stat to properly evaluate goaltenders)

Are Frederik Andersen, Cory Schneider, and Philip Grubbauer.

Freddy Andersen: Traded for a Late 1st + 2nd round pick
    Cory Schneider: Traded for 9th overall Pick (which if you're trying to trade up, costs around a Late 1st + 2nd ++)
    Philip Grubbauer: Traded WITH Brooks Orpik for a 2nd. (Which following the precedent set by Marleau for trading buyout pieces with a year left and making 7% cap hit....is worth a Late 1st).

Basically, all of these goaltenders were traded for what amounts to as a Late 1st AND a 2nd round pick....

Georgiev also checks off those 3 boxes. And the main difference between him and all the other goalies listed is that he's 23 and the other goalies were traded when they were 26....That's a pretty big difference, in terms of health and team control. If anything, he should probably be worth MORE than a 1st + 2nd.....

So when you say minimum 2nd for Georgiev. You might want to add a 1st to that...
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:20 a.m.
    EklundCelebriniSmith
    Nope...exactly my point..both are defensive D's...who play about 20 mins per game...Kulikov has a negative aura around him as his salary is too high and he was injured a lot over the last few years...but as a player, he is a decent D.

Dillons current ask is a 2nd (maybe more) we’ll see what happens. His corsi and advanced stats are great for such a bad sharks team. They’re positive.

With retention he’s under 2 million. Dillon is a asset with doesn’t have injury issues. Plays hard, sandpaper, 2nd in d hits, safe and sound and smart and seems to keep improving in the last 3 seasons. He’s not going to your top guy but he’s going to be a guy you trust and enjoy having on your team.

Just thinking you’ve tossed Dillon aside. As I said if I was mistaken about Roslovics situation then I would change my suggested trade (which I did).
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:22 a.m.
    Quoting: papishark
    But it’s not fair. Anderson is worth nothing and Georg is not worth Labanc by himself. The rangers would need to add something to make the sharks consider a trade and that something is not a third or a guy who refuses to even try at the AHL level

Really think you're missing the nuance of the Andersson situation. He hates Quinn. He beat out Howden in 2 preseasons in a row convincingly and got passed over. And then refused to play him this year with anyone except Michael Haley and Brendan Smith despite crushing the AHL 2 years in a row. Then Quinn makes some public comments about not liking the "European Style of play" and wants more NA on his team (real Don Cherry/Darryl Sutter stuff). So Lias says, what's the point of me busting my ass if this coach is literally never going to give me a chance. And now he's waiting til the coach gets fired while over in the SHL.

Don't think the Rangers will actually trade him since his value is way higher than his market value.
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:40 a.m.
    I wouldn't trade Lias. I'd honestly fire Quinn before I trade Lias. Lias is a player. A diva, no doubt, but a player. We'll regret trading him for scraps. I'd do Georgiev and Howden for Lebanc and a 3rd. Get Howden off of our team, please.
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:42 a.m.
    EklundCelebriniSmith
    1. Under 26
    3. Finish in the top 15 in GSAx over the 2 years before they were traded (it's the main stat to properly evaluate goaltenders)

Cory Schneider: Traded for 9th overall Pick (which if you're trying to trade up, costs around a Late 1st + 2nd ++)
    Philip Grubbauer: Traded WITH Brooks Orpik for a 2nd. (Which following the precedent set by Marleau for trading buyout pieces with a year left and making 7% cap hit....is worth a Late 1st).

Basically, all of these goaltenders were traded for what amounts to as a Late 1st AND a 2nd round pick....

Georgiev also checks off those 3 boxes. And the main difference between him and all the other goalies listed is that he's 23 and the other goalies were traded when they were 26....That's a pretty big difference, in terms of health and team control. If anything, he should probably be worth MORE than a 1st + 2nd.....

So when you say minimum 2nd for Georgiev. You might want to add a 1st to that...

1. Under 27

My main thing I’d like to notice is:

Schneider posted a 1.96 and 2.11 GA, 927 and 937 sv%.
    Main two seasons prior to being traded

Freddy had a 2.38, 2.30, 2.29, and a 923 919 and 918 sv% before being traded.

Georgiev has a 3.15, 2.91, 3.11 and .918, .914, .910.

These two previous guys posted WOW numbers

Now understandably he’s younger and what not. But we can look back on the Cory trade as man NJD shouldn’t have done that.

Ana had to move Freddy for gibson but I don’t think the leafs would trade what they did for Freddy for Georgiev given the situation.

A lot of this is opinion as well when It comes to trades. I value Labanc are more then a first and you value Georgiev as more then a first. Lias isn’t worth really anything as why I chose howden. Georgiev is good don’t get me wrong but the talk around Freddy was THIS GUY IS AN NHL starter, this is your man. I don’t see this talk for Georgiev otherwise he wouldn’t be shopped. He’s good and will be a nhl player but NYR clearly believe he isn’t their starter compared to what’s in the pipeline. He’s expendable compared to a guy who hasn’t played an NHL season yet. Whereas Freddy and Schn lost to NHL Starters; not prospects. I know it’s a mess what I saying but. Georgiev is expendable due to a prospect, the other guys lost to NHL starters. I think that matters. Georgiev if he was a guaranteed nhl starter for 50-70 games I don’t think there would be such a market for him as the rangers could use that type of player.
    papishark liked this.
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:44 a.m.
    Servant of Chaos
    Yeah, people talking about how Howden's playing a big role on the Rangers are neglecting to mention he sucks. I'd gladly do Georgiev+Howden for Labanc without a second's hesitation. Maybe even add a late pick from the Rangers if the Sharks pay their air fare.
    yikes and saysthemachine liked this.
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:45 a.m.
    EklundCelebriniSmith
    Quoting: FreeTacosAreBestTacos
    Yeah, people talking about how Howden's playing a big role on the Rangers are neglecting to mention he sucks. I'd gladly do Georgiev+Howden for Labanc without a second's hesitation. Maybe even add a late pick from the Rangers if the Sharks pay their air fare.

I do respect their opinion if he not sucking but I read articles on his struggles as why I did mention he is struggling and the need of a Sharks centre to as to why I chose howden

Quoting: saysthemachine
    I wouldn't trade Lias. I'd honestly fire Quinn before I trade Lias. Lias is a player. A diva, no doubt, but a player. We'll regret trading him for scraps. I'd do Georgiev and Howden for Lebanc and a 3rd. Get Howden off of our team, please.
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:52 a.m.
    Quoting: FreeTacosAreBestTacos

hahahahahaha Howden is so bad. Maybe he'll turn it around? I don't care. He's one of Quinn's toys and he needs to be taken away. While we're at it, Quinn isn't an NHL coach. God, I hate this team.
    Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:57 a.m.
    EklundCelebriniSmith
    Quoting: saysthemachine
    hahahahahaha Howden is so bad. Maybe he'll turn it around? I don't care. He's one of Quinn's toys and he needs to be taken away. While we're at it, Quinn isn't an NHL coach. God, I hate this team.

Atleast you aren’t a sharks fan???
    papishark liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll