Forums/Armchair-GM

Big Columbus Trade

Created by: JacobSmells
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 31, 2020
Published: Jan. 31, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Columbus isnt likely to do this trade unless they think Peeke is ready to replace Savard and they believe that bracco is ready to jump in and help their NHL team, because theyre still in the thick of things and fighting for the playoffs. Ceci is just a salary equalizer
Lines are for playoffs when salary cap doesnt matter, until then to stay cap compliant leafs will need to send engvall and sandin back to marlies when everyone is healthy
Trades
CBJ
  1. Bracco, Jeremy
  2. Ceci, Cody
  3. 2020 4th round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$79,678,810$0$70,000$1,821,190
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$1,062,500$1,062,500
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 31, 2020 at 12:29 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Leafs decline as they have no interest in trading Ceci who has found a new home in Toronto and is starting to look rock solid on defence.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 12:30 a.m.
I just vomited in my mouth.
CBJ could and would trade Savard for a decent prospect and a 1st before the package above, or a scoring winger. Someone would pony up for a shut down right side D man who plays with an edge when needed, eats up big minutes, and doesn’t take many penalties. Good all around team guy.
gregb569 liked this.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 12:34 a.m.
Quoting: TMLSage
Leafs decline as they have no interest in trading Ceci who has found a new home in Toronto and is starting to look rock solid on defence.

please tell me you are being sarcastic / joking
Jan. 31, 2020 at 12:38 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Wqrrior

No, Ceci is the best Leaf defensive RHD right now....You must be reading too much on CapFriendly about Ceci and not watching the games. Now I don't think CBJ should do the deal because of Savard's term and the fact Bracco will probably never be an NHLer.
TMLSage and oneX liked this.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 12:41 a.m.
Jacob Smells
Quoting: Bluejackets2000
I just vomited in my mouth.
CBJ could and would trade Savard for a decent prospect and a 1st before the package above, or a scoring winger. Someone would pony up for a shut down right side D man who plays with an edge when needed, eats up big minutes, and doesn’t take many penalties. Good all around team guy.

I would like you to google the following trades: Subban to NJ trade, Faulk to St. Louis trade, Niskanen to Philly trade, Braun to Philly trade, Oleksiak to Dallas trade, Ian Cole to Columbus trade, and Sami Vatanen to NJ trade
TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 12:49 a.m.
Jacob Smells
Quoting: palhal
No, Ceci is the best Leaf defensive RHD right now....You must be reading too much on CapFriendly about Ceci and not watching the games. Now I don't think CBJ should do the deal because of Savard's term and the fact Bracco will probably never be an NHLer.

I promise you, you would like Savard just as much Ceci and he has another year left on his contract
Jan. 31, 2020 at 12:55 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Actually ceci hasn’t been bad. He has steadily been getting better. Has been solid defensively and making smarter plays offensively. To trade for savard only to lose ceci and Dermott from the lineup is not really any further ahead.

Not that it fixes the value of this trade.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 12:58 a.m.

Under Keefe, Ceci has been solid. Could he be better? I suppose but I think you and most of capfriendly are hung up too much on his 4.5 million cap hit and not really paying attention to his play.

Think of how bad he was in Ottawa and how he is with the Leafs. Definitely alot better.
palhal and TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 12:59 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: JacobSmells
I promise you, you would like Savard just as much Ceci and he has another year left on his contract

I never said the Leafs wouldn't like the trade, and never said Savard isn't better than Ceci. Agree with you having Savard for another year is beneficial to any team. But I did say right now Ceci is the best defensive RHD the Leafs have right now.
oneX and TMLSage liked this.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:02 a.m.
Columbus declines. Savard LD term makes him more valuable then Ceci is. Ceci is good when protected from the top 6 of an opposing team, in Columbus he’d have to be second pair and Jones can’t play vs everyone top six all night. Peeke isn’t ready, if he were he’d be in the NHL now... Columbus also has no need for Bracco and he hold no value to the as we have no need for RWs... Bracco would end up back in the AHL again as he’d need to be in a top 9 role and isn’t great at 4th duties.

Savard is Columbus best defensive defenseman and even though Ceci is getting better he’d be a rental, and as Columbus is in the thick of the playoff race we’d want to get better... not even and lose a guy like that as a UFA at the end of they year again...

If Columbus falls out of the playoff picture bug time by the deadline how about a Savard for Ceci and Brooks as Columbus needs to find a second line center and Brooks could be that at his max potential,and a conditional 2nd that if Toronto misses the playoffs it becomes a 3rd.
Friendly_Cannon liked this.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:06 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Quoting: oneX
Under Keefe, Ceci has been solid. Could he be better? I suppose but I think you and most of capfriendly are hung up too much on his 4.5 million cap hit and not really paying attention to his play.

Think of how bad he was in Ottawa and how he is with the Leafs. Definitely alot better.

Part of Ceci's problem with Ottawa, is he played on a bad team with some below average NHL Dmen. That can make any Dman look bad when his face is smacked against the class constantly.
Thanks for pointing out fans obsession with Ceci's cap hit, like it's the only overpaid paid contract in the league. Gee, I look at the Sharks with their three Dmen making 26.5m with term that takes them to mid and late thirties.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:09 a.m.
Edited Jan. 31, 2020 at 2:09 a.m.
I would like you to google the following trades: Subban to NJ trade, Faulk to St. Louis trade, Niskanen to Philly trade, Braun to Philly trade, Oleksiak to Dallas trade, Ian Cole to Columbus trade, and Sami Vatanen to NJ trade

Ceci is crap on blades. Just because you say he’s good doesn’t make it so. He has better +\- numbers this year, but hey he is on a much better team with a better playing partner. Go figure, his numbers HAVE to be better because they couldn’t get any worse. Bracco is on his final entry level year and hasn’t even played a down yet. CBJ already has one of those, in Milano, who has “upside” and skill. Yet still can’t find his way into the lineup. Everyone knows Leafs are desperate for a quality D man, especially on the right side. Not to mention that Savard has term left, so not a true rental. So bring an offer, the only thing that package above gets you is a dial tone.
A team at/above playoff bar is not trading a shut down guy for nothing they want or need...spare parts and a 4th.
The Subban deal was not a comparable. Nashville was going to lose him for nothing, and his scoring dropped down to like 30 points his final year. Nashville got what they could for an aging top tier D knowing they weren’t going to get more, didn’t want to lose him for nothing, and didn’t want to re-up him at his asking price of like $10m USD, and if I remember correctly the trade was made during the NHL draft.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:12 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Ajp_18
Columbus declines. Savard LD term makes him more valuable then Ceci is. Ceci is good when protected from the top 6 of an opposing team, in Columbus he’d have to be second pair and Jones can’t play vs everyone top six all night. Peeke isn’t ready, if he were he’d be in the NHL now... Columbus also has no need for Bracco and he hold no value to the as we have no need for RWs... Bracco would end up back in the AHL again as he’d need to be in a top 9 role and isn’t great at 4th duties.

Savard is Columbus best defensive defenseman and even though Ceci is getting better he’d be a rental, and as Columbus is in the thick of the playoff race we’d want to get better... not even and lose a guy like that as a UFA at the end of they year again...

If Columbus falls out of the playoff picture bug time by the deadline how about a Savard for Ceci and Brooks as Columbus needs to find a second line center and Brooks could be that at his max potential,and a conditional 2nd that if Toronto misses the playoffs it becomes a 3rd.

Sorry, Ceci has been playing fine despite the rumour of this top 6 nonsense. Seems like so many fans that all the Leafs Dmen need "sheltered", and that no one can play against the other teams top six. Who did Keefe have out for the last minute and half against Dallas with Dallas down by a goal and the goalie out.....Ceci.
Now I agree Columbus doesn't do that trade. Your suggestion about Brooks....don't think he could ever be a NHL 2nd line centre. He might have a problem being a NHL difference maker at all.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:16 a.m.
Sorry, Ceci has been playing fine despite the rumour of this top 6 nonsense. Seems like so many fans that all the Leafs Dmen need "sheltered", and that no one can play against the other teams top six. Who did Keefe have out for the last minute and half against Dallas with Dallas down by a goal and the goalie out.....Ceci.
Now I agree Columbus doesn't do that trade. Your suggestion about Brooks....don't think he could ever be a NHL 2nd line centre. He might have a problem being a NHL difference maker at all.

Honestly I’ve always liked Ceci. He got a bad rap in Ottawa and at the beginning of the season. If you’ve be willing to sell him at the deadline I hope Columbus would pick him up as he could be 3rd pair with Nuttivaara and make a great top 6 D core.

As for brooks I was going off what I saw in juniors, he was really good for his team and was the driving force on the team if I remember correctly.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:25 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Honestly I’ve always liked Ceci. He got a bad rap in Ottawa and at the beginning of the season. If you’ve be willing to sell him at the deadline I hope Columbus would pick him up as he could be 3rd pair with Nuttivaara and make a great top 6 D core.

As for brooks I was going off what I saw in juniors, he was really good for his team and was the driving force on the team if I remember correctly.

Your right about Brooks as junior...but as we have seen good high juniors or even good high scoring AHLers often don't have NHL skills. Brooks was bypassed in two NHL drafts and was a fourth rounder in an overage season. Wish him well, but like Bracco, don't think either will be major contributors in the NHL if at all.
Ceci: Leaf are in a playoff race, are razor thin with NHL Dmen depth especially with Reilly out. Ceci just can't be traded because he is needed (I've saying that since October). Actually I've said Barrie has been the Leafs worse Dman this season. Both have picked up their game and the Leaf three RHD have shown they can be NHL competent. The Leafs left side is their strongest.
Sure going to be a dogfight in the both Conferences for playoff spots. Might have trouble making trades as only a few teams might be considered sellers at TDL.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:28 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Quoting: Bluejackets2000
Ceci is crap on blades. Just because you say he’s good doesn’t make it so. He has better +\- numbers this year, but hey he is on a much better team with a better playing partner. Go figure, his numbers HAVE to be better because they couldn’t get any worse. Bracco is on his final entry level year and hasn’t even played a down yet. CBJ already has one of those, in Milano, who has “upside” and skill. It still can’t find his way into the lineup. Everyone knows Leafs are desperate for a quality D man, especially on the right side. Not to mention that Savard has term left, so not a true rental. So bring an offer, the only thing that package above gets you is a dial tone.
A team at/above playoff bar is not trading a shut down guy for nothing they want or need...spare parts and a 4th.

The reality of the situation is that the Leafs have no interest in trading Ceci and will most likely be resigning him as a UFA after the season ends as he is really developing into a great defenceman under the coaching of Sheldon Keefe with the Leafs. I have stopped drinking the Savard kool-aid as realized it was making me sick. If he is such a great defenceman then why is he in so many trade rumours of leaving Columbus?
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:34 a.m.
GM - Canucks

Agree with your comments. I really, really like Adam Brooks and he put up absolutely mind boggling points playing for Regina Pats in final year with Sam Steel of the Ducks. I do not think the book is yet out on him in the NHL as only played 5 games but has 3 points. He is a good 2 way centre and played for Sheldon Keefe with the Marlies so still think he has a chance to play in 3rd or 4th line centre role for the Leafs but his real chance may be comming next year.

Do not think Leafs can risk trading Ceci at this point because he is playing really good hockey now on the right side. He is a former 1rst round draft choice with good size and is only 26 years old and I think the Leafs are really going to try to resign him as a UFA after the season.
oneX liked this.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:37 a.m.
The reality of the situation is that the Leafs have no interest in trading Ceci and will most likely be resigning him as a UFA after the season ends as he is really developing into a great defenceman under the coaching of Sheldon Keefe with the Leafs. I have stopped drinking the Savard kool-aid as realized it was making me sick. If he is such a great defenceman then why is he in so many trade rumours of leaving Columbus?

He’s really only in trade rumblers from Toronto fans going to Toronto. We in Columbus have no intent in wanting to trade him.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:44 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Edited Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:57 a.m.
He’s really only in trade rumblers from Toronto fans going to Toronto. We in Columbus have no intent in wanting to trade him.

That makes total sense. I think with Jones, Werenski and Savard that Columbus has a really solid defence core which has been a team strong point. I also think Tortorella is doing an absolutely brilliant job coaching the team after all the player losses and should be a finalist for the coach of the year award.
Friendly_Cannon liked this.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 4:47 a.m.
Watches no games

I don't know what eyes you have if you think Ceci looks defensively solid. He's always behind the play and his stick must be allergic to the ice or something. On top of that he's in the bottom 10% of almost any defensive category, while Savard is more or less the polar opposite - an advanced metric gem that would be very highly rated if he didn't play for the jackets.

What's so interesting is that Savard is basically what Ceci would look like if he was good at everything he's not good at. Being large and a former first rounder has literally no positive effect on your hockey ability in a vacuum - ask Brayden Point. There are players that use their size with functional physicality, Ceci is definitely not one of them.
gregb569 liked this.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:31 p.m.

Even still, Savard is the better defenseman and TOR should do that trade in an instant... to see TOR declining this deal is laughable as it is heavily one-sided.

A defenseman who is cheaper, more reliable and on longer term is an upgrade on somebody who has been marred with inconsistency.

I'm not low on Ceci like most people are, but I know that he is not in the same category as Savard in any conversation.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 2:21 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Even still, Savard is the better defenseman and TOR should do that trade in an instant... to see TOR declining this deal is laughable as it is heavily one-sided.

A defenseman who is cheaper, more reliable and on longer term is an upgrade on somebody who has been marred with inconsistency.

I'm not low on Ceci like most people are, but I know that he is not in the same category as Savard in any conversation.

Oh, a agree with you that Columbus shouldn't do the deal. One more year of Savard isn't compensated enough by Bracco and the 4th. And Savard is better than Ceci.
But it's rubbish to say in the opening post that Ceci is just cap equalization.
Feb. 1, 2020 at 3:08 a.m.
Quoting: MelonVK
I don't know what eyes you have if you think Ceci looks defensively solid. He's always behind the play and his stick must be allergic to the ice or something. On top of that he's in the bottom 10% of almost any defensive category, while Savard is more or less the polar opposite - an advanced metric gem that would be very highly rated if he didn't play for the jackets.

What's so interesting is that Savard is basically what Ceci would look like if he was good at everything he's not good at. Being large and a former first rounder has literally no positive effect on your hockey ability in a vacuum - ask Brayden Point. There are players that use their size with functional physicality, Ceci is definitely not one of them.

See this tells me you haven't been watching Ceci at all. Under Keefe he's been better. In no way am I comparing him to Savard...Leafs have Ceci and people like to hate on him because of the cap hit or whatever other silly reasons.

I fully believe Ceci will be with the Leafs for the rest of the season for a few reasons. Now whether he stays beyond this season...that's kind of up in the air as of right now.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll