Forums/Armchair-GM

Min 1920 give trade feedback

Created by: MelonVK
Team: 2019-20 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 31, 2020
Published: Jan. 31, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Unsure about the trades. Maybe Dumba isn't as highly rated anymore, but I'm guessing he nets you a 1st and a solid prospect somewhere. I think he's the defenseman rated most highly compared to his on ice impact on this team.

Try to get a 2nd or 3rd for Koivu and give him a playoff run. Sign him again next year.

I think taking on Russel along with the prospect of Fiala next to McDavid could be enough for Edm's first?

Cheap F for trading down half a round or so is probably desirable to Pitt.

NYR and Georgie is interesting. He's doing really well, but they don't have that many options. Donato is a young F option, allowing them to trade a veteran player for a pick. Staal could reasonably waive for Min, and after the Shattenkirk fiasco maybe the rangers want to free up some cap space preemptively.

JEE gets the rest of the season at 2C, and that could be an interesting experiment.
Trades
MIN
  1. Kulikov, Dmitry
  2. Roslovic, Jack
  3. 2020 1st round pick (WPG)
MIN
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (FLA)
FLA
  1. Koivu, Mikko ($2,750,000 retained)
MIN
  1. Russell, Kris
  2. 2020 1st round pick (EDM)
MIN
  1. 2020 1st round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Greenway, Jordan
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (FLA)
NYR
  1. Donato, Ryan
  2. 2021 4th round pick (MIN)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$73,998,549$0$1,077,500$7,501,451
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,625,000$1,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,487,500$1,487,500
C
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, C
RFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 3
$687,500$687,500
RW
UFA - 1
$874,125$874,125
C
UFA - 1
$805,000$805,000 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RW, C
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
UFA - 2
$5,187,500$5,187,500
RD
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
G
UFA - 1
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,166,667$2,166,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 3
Logo of the New York Rangers
$5,700,000$5,700,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 31, 2020 at 6:31 a.m.
gregb569
PIT definitely accepts. Greenway to move down like 15 spots? Yeah I'll take that
Jan. 31, 2020 at 6:53 a.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: gregb569
PIT definitely accepts. Greenway to move down like 15 spots? Yeah I'll take that

I'm guessing it's closer to 20, but yeah I think that one is more than fair too.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:19 a.m.
Kafle
Russell has a no movement clause so you can’t send him down
CD282 liked this.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:31 a.m.
The return for all of these trades are unrealistically too high. Avoid moving Dumba when his value is an all time low.
CD282 liked this.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:34 a.m.
Quoting: kafle22

He's also an NHL player, he wouldn't get sent down on merit. In any case, that trade definitely won't get Edmonton's 1st.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:35 a.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: Hawksince71
The return for all of these trades are unrealistically too high. Avoid moving Dumba when his value is an all time low.

The Dumba and Fiala trades are terrible for the Wild. The other trades I would agree with you the returns unrealistic.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:18 p.m.
Watches no games

Fair, but that doesn't necessarily change the conceptual idea, no?
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:20 p.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: Paul13
The Dumba and Fiala trades are terrible for the Wild. The other trades I would agree with you the returns unrealistic.

Well, on the other hand people are disagreeing which trades are bad for which team, which is an indicator it's not all that wrong, no?
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:30 p.m.
Kafle
Quoting: MelonVK
Fair, but that doesn't necessarily change the conceptual idea, no?

As much as I like fiala, don’t think holland will trade a first and Russell for him.
He can pretty much retain 50% of his contract reducing the cap hit to 2 mil and still get a third for him
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:36 p.m.
Watches no games
As much as I like fiala, don’t think holland will trade a first and Russell for him.
He can pretty much retain 50% of his contract reducing the cap hit to 2 mil and still get a third for him

I'm not sure I agree, but I definitely used Russell as a negative asset here, if you have any other suggestions, let me know!
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:37 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Well, on the other hand people are disagreeing which trades are bad for which team, which is an indicator it's not all that wrong, no?

I still stand by my statement, but it is usually a pretty good indicator when both sides feel screwed.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:38 p.m.
Kafle
I'm not sure I agree, but I definitely used Russell as a negative asset here, if you have any other suggestions, let me know!

He can used as a 5,6,7 rental for the playoffs
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:41 p.m.
Watches no games
He can used as a 5,6,7 rental for the playoffs

For that money? I'd imagine most teams are cap strapped enough when renting to compete?
Jan. 31, 2020 at 1:45 p.m.
Kafle
The teams most likely are the avalanche, bluejackets and jets
Jan. 31, 2020 at 2:28 p.m.
Don't trade Fiala for a cap dump and a 1st that might turn out to be as good as Fiala. Fiala is the most dynamic wing the Wild have and he's finally learning how to play the NHL game.

Greenway is a guy to hold on to. He's cheap and at worst replaces Foligno in the coming years.

Dumba for a cap dump, a FWD that looks nice but isn't really anything special, and a mid-teens 1st; and to a Division rival, no thanks.

The cap starts to become a problem next year when you have to re-sign Kunin, Soucy, the goalie, and Kaprizov and you're paying $10m for d-men that aren't needed and are a downgrade.

JEE is already playing the 2C (shutdown line) position and has been since Koivu got injured earlier this year. The lack of PP time makes his ToI look low.

Koivu looks done as a hockey player. I doubt he waives his NMC and the return won't be good even if he did. He needs to retire this off-season, playing his whole career (1k+ games) all with just 1 team. He'll get his number in the rafters (it is the Wild afterall) and have a chance at the HoF due to his long NHL career and international play (WC gold and 2 Silver, OG Silver and Bronze).
Jan. 31, 2020 at 4:20 p.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: wabit
Don't trade Fiala for a cap dump and a 1st that might turn out to be as good as Fiala. Fiala is the most dynamic wing the Wild have and he's finally learning how to play the NHL game.

Greenway is a guy to hold on to. He's cheap and at worst replaces Foligno in the coming years.

Dumba for a cap dump, a FWD that looks nice but isn't really anything special, and a mid-teens 1st; and to a Division rival, no thanks.

The cap starts to become a problem next year when you have to re-sign Kunin, Soucy, the goalie, and Kaprizov and you're paying $10m for d-men that aren't needed and are a downgrade.

JEE is already playing the 2C (shutdown line) position and has been since Koivu got injured earlier this year. The lack of PP time makes his ToI look low.

Koivu looks done as a hockey player. I doubt he waives his NMC and the return won't be good even if he did. He needs to retire this off-season, playing his whole career (1k+ games) all with just 1 team. He'll get his number in the rafters (it is the Wild afterall) and have a chance at the HoF due to his long NHL career and international play (WC gold and 2 Silver, OG Silver and Bronze).

I took on cap dumps to be competitive after that point. I don't see the cap issue? And some easy 15 mil or so is coming off the books the year after? KK can only sign an ELC. Dumba is way inferior to Spurgeon but could probably fetch a better return, if you think you're winning a trade you should want to trade with your division rivals? I don't mind holding on to Greenway really, but I think he yields a better return than Foligno who's a defensive gem. Fiala is interesting, but he's had plenty of years to turn his dynamicism into production, and he doesn't look like he's really getting better. Atrocious defensive numbers as well, last time I checked. Koivu has no offense left in him, but he's never really been that good at it? I signed him to retire, but yeah idk if he'd play or even go this year.

I don't think you're really off on your points, but I think none of the reasons are enough to abandon the idea to trade any and/or all of the players mentioned.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:12 p.m.
I took on cap dumps to be competitive after that point. I don't see the cap issue? And some easy 15 mil or so is coming off the books the year after? KK can only sign an ELC. Dumba is way inferior to Spurgeon but could probably fetch a better return, if you think you're winning a trade you should want to trade with your division rivals? I don't mind holding on to Greenway really, but I think he yields a better return than Foligno who's a defensive gem. Fiala is interesting, but he's had plenty of years to turn his dynamicism into production, and he doesn't look like he's really getting better. Atrocious defensive numbers as well, last time I checked. Koivu has no offense left in him, but he's never really been that good at it? I signed him to retire, but yeah idk if he'd play or even go this year.

I don't think you're really off on your points, but I think none of the reasons are enough to abandon the idea to trade any and/or all of the players mentioned.

Koivu was fine for offense until really this year.

Here is the cap problem:
Kunin $3m-$4m
Kaprizov $3m (need to leave his potential bonus money alone)
Roslvic $2m-$4m (guessing here)
Soucy $2m-$4m (having a hard time pinning down his number)
Georgiev $2m
Strum $1m

There is too much dead cap between M. Staal and Russell. And you have Belpedio and Menell (800k each) that will need waivers next year. I'm not against trading anyone on the team for the right return, but stocking up on mid-late 1st round picks for current 22/23 yo NHLers isn't the way to do it. Trade the older players for the picks/prospects and build around the current young guys.

Fenton actually did a lot to put MN in rebuild year 3 or 4 instead of year 1. Granny and Coyle trades were good, Nino trade was bad (but understandable), and the Zucc contract was awful.
-Zucker ($5.5m) is the wing to trade, he's on a fair contract, but it's not good. He's also replaceable from in-house. Pick/prospects are fine.
-Fiala ($3m) is on a good contract and much more useful than Zucker. His game has improved a lot since the start of the season. He still does some dumb things, but not as often. He's as good of passer as Granny and a willing shooter (which Granny never was).
-Donato is on a fair contract, but if he's just going to be a 12/13 FWD, trade him.
-Dumba is at a sell low point right now. If you get a top-6 C for him make a trade, if not then hold on to him.
-Brodin is at a sell high point currently. Looking for similar trade to Dumba.
-Pateryn is on a fair deal, but he's not needed by MN. If something okay comes along trade him.
-Foligno is the last player I want to see traded. He adds so much to the team that isn't on the scoresheet. But if you get a nice overpay for him make the trade.
Feb. 1, 2020 at 10:58 a.m.
Watches no games
Koivu was fine for offense until really this year.

Here is the cap problem:
Kunin $3m-$4m
Kaprizov $3m (need to leave his potential bonus money alone)
Roslvic $2m-$4m (guessing here)
Soucy $2m-$4m (having a hard time pinning down his number)
Georgiev $2m
Strum $1m

There is too much dead cap between M. Staal and Russell. And you have Belpedio and Menell (800k each) that will need waivers next year. I'm not against trading anyone on the team for the right return, but stocking up on mid-late 1st round picks for current 22/23 yo NHLers isn't the way to do it. Trade the older players for the picks/prospects and build around the current young guys.

Fenton actually did a lot to put MN in rebuild year 3 or 4 instead of year 1. Granny and Coyle trades were good, Nino trade was bad (but understandable), and the Zucc contract was awful.
-Zucker ($5.5m) is the wing to trade, he's on a fair contract, but it's not good. He's also replaceable from in-house. Pick/prospects are fine.
-Fiala ($3m) is on a good contract and much more useful than Zucker. His game has improved a lot since the start of the season. He still does some dumb things, but not as often. He's as good of passer as Granny and a willing shooter (which Granny never was).
-Donato is on a fair contract, but if he's just going to be a 12/13 FWD, trade him.
-Dumba is at a sell low point right now. If you get a top-6 C for him make a trade, if not then hold on to him.
-Brodin is at a sell high point currently. Looking for similar trade to Dumba.
-Pateryn is on a fair deal, but he's not needed by MN. If something okay comes along trade him.
-Foligno is the last player I want to see traded. He adds so much to the team that isn't on the scoresheet. But if you get a nice overpay for him make the trade.

I don't think Zucker gets you proper value back either, as he's also a play driver and solid in both ends. Maybe Fiala does turn it around, and Min is in a position to take that chance, but a first in this years draft holds very high value. Sure, you can trade more veteran players, but usually teams buy a bit too highly on potential in my opinion. The Wild has the issue with their best players being 2-way or play driving, while teams somehow still trade for points, and I think it's hard to get a proper return for Brodin as well.

I did a mock for the following year where I fit a FA signing of Craig Smith in even, although it might be a bit too generous I think being a bit drastic here has a point to it.

I kind of agree with your trade assessments, but I'd stay for calling the Granlund and Coyle trades good, rather than just fine.
Feb. 1, 2020 at 12:54 p.m.
I don't think Zucker gets you proper value back either, as he's also a play driver and solid in both ends. Maybe Fiala does turn it around, and Min is in a position to take that chance, but a first in this years draft holds very high value. Sure, you can trade more veteran players, but usually teams buy a bit too highly on potential in my opinion. The Wild has the issue with their best players being 2-way or play driving, while teams somehow still trade for points, and I think it's hard to get a proper return for Brodin as well.

I did a mock for the following year where I fit a FA signing of Craig Smith in even, although it might be a bit too generous I think being a bit drastic here has a point to it.

I kind of agree with your trade assessments, but I'd stay for calling the Granlund and Coyle trades good, rather than just fine.

Zucker gets a 1st+prospect according to the experts. The TDL market possibly has Tatar, Tofolli, Zucker, Kreider, and Pageau for FWDs. Not much separates them other than Zucker has term and the others don't. Zucker having term might make it easier for a GM to justify spending TDL prices on him.

I don't like this year's draft class. After the top-4 (which is very good), there isn't much that interests me. Too many small wings and not much quality for centers or d-men.
Feb. 1, 2020 at 1:38 p.m.
Watches no games
Zucker gets a 1st+prospect according to the experts. The TDL market possibly has Tatar, Tofolli, Zucker, Kreider, and Pageau for FWDs. Not much separates them other than Zucker has term and the others don't. Zucker having term might make it easier for a GM to justify spending TDL prices on him.

I don't like this year's draft class. After the top-4 (which is very good), there isn't much that interests me. Too many small wings and not much quality for centers or d-men.

Oh man I disagree so badly. Small size or not, plenty of wingers looking great in Europe. I love the top 8-9 at the very least, and some guys look like steals later as well. I think some guys might slip because of their size, and that's a great place to look for value.
Feb. 1, 2020 at 2:57 p.m.
Oh man I disagree so badly. Small size or not, plenty of wingers looking great in Europe. I love the top 8-9 at the very least, and some guys look like steals later as well. I think some guys might slip because of their size, and that's a great place to look for value.

Small, skilled, wings are a dime a dozen in the AHL and Europe. Not many can make the jump to the NHL with success. Every year you hear about a great prospect not getting NHL time because he needs to be in the top-6 and can't play a bottom-6 role. Then a year later his ELC is up and he's going through waivers.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll