SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Drafting Based on Team Needs

Drafting Based on Team Needs

Draft Class: 2020
Created By: bbell080
Published: Jan. 31, 2020 at 3:20 p.m.
Description
Based on the latest Bobby Mac rankings and team needs (as I see them) here are the picks. I gave the top 3 based on the odds of winning. Detroit has the tops odds as last place. Ottawa's two picks give them the next best shot at winning. And the Kings have the third best odds.
Lottery Winners:
  1. Logo of the Detroit Red WingsDetroit Red Wings
  2. Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsOttawa Senators
  3. Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLos Angeles Kings
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Every team's top need is a left-winger if Lafreniere is on the board.
2Logo of the Ottawa Senators-The Sens desperately need a true 1C, and while someone in the system could maybe fill that role, Byfield definitely projects as one, and more good centres are always a plus.
3Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-A possible challenger for that number two slot, Stutzle provides the rebuilding kings with a speedy forward who can shift wherever they need in the Top 6
4Logo of the New Jersey Devils-The Devils have two great young centres and they need to get some young running mates to go with them, Raymond fits the bill
5Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-The Ducks could use a great young defenceman to learn from Fowler and build for the future
6Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the San Jose SharksPicking Rossi to either shift to the wing in the NHL, or perhaps to move Norris to the wing longer term
7Logo of the New York Rangers-Great triggerman to complement the existing young forward core
8Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-I don't know how to fix Buffalo, but giving Eichel a great young winger should help?
9Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Minnesota is OLD, especially up front, so picking a solid young forward like Lundell will help transition them away from the Staals and Parises of the world.
10Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-The Habs sprint to the podium and draft the heir apparent to Carey Price, who is coincidentally seen as the best goalie prospect since Carey Price
11Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Chicago might actually make the playoffs after all, and picking a good young winger to pair with Kirby Dach makes sense now and in the future
12Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-The Jets have to pick a defenceman here, and I have them taking the top-ranked guy not named Drysdale. I could see them picking a lot of other D-men here, but I think if the draft is today, it's Sanderson
13Logo of the Nashville Predators-The Preds are good on D and likely in net for the foreseeable future, so I have them taking the best forward available
14Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Vegas takes a pure goal scorer who they can groom behind Mark Stone and pair with Glass for the next 10+ years
15Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Arizona CoyotesAgain the Devils look for running mates for Hughes and Hischier, and they pick a winger who looked great at the WJC and who I think would be rated higher if he was playing in a league other than DEL
16Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-The Oilers need to find some wingers, and I think Holloway would look great beside McDavid or Draisatl
17Logo of the Calgary Flames-After Monahan, the Flames are a little thin at the centre position (especially when Bennet is on the wing) so they pick the best centre out of the WHL here
18Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Philly has a pretty balanced prospect pool, and good youth at most positions, so they take the offensively gifted Amirov here
19Logo of the Dallas Stars-Wallinder has size and skill and will make a great 1-2 punch on the left side in Dallas with Heiskanen
20Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsDaws' performance this year in the OHL and at the WJC shows he has the tools to succeed if he can put it together at the next level. Carolina has loved reclaiming goalies who have not lived up to their potential elsewhere in recent years, but I think Daws would be a good pick and help them stabilize their goaltender position for years to come.
21Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-With their second pick, the Canes pick their future 2C and snag a player who would likely be going much higher if not for his concussion issues
22Logo of the Florida Panthers-The Panthers have a lot of young forwards and Knight and Bobrovsky are their goalies for the next 10-15 years, so they take a talented defenceman with good size here who could maybe partner with Ekblad somewhere down the line.
23Logo of the Tampa Bay LightningLogo of the Vancouver CanucksThe Lightning have good depth in the organization, and getting a good young forward here only bolsters that depth.
24Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Poirier is a solid young defenceman that would likely go higher in a different year, but this is a draft with so many talented forwards that he falls into the Blue Jackets lap.
25Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-The last time the Avs won the Stanley Cup there was a guy named Bourque playing for them. Now there is no relation, but Bourque could one day be the 2C in Colorado and help them back to the promised land.
26Logo of the New York Islanders-NYI picks a solid forward prospect who could play anywhere in the Top 6.
27Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-TBL are a deep organization, and Schneider makes them a bit deeper on the blueline
28Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-The Pens need to start planning for the future at the centre position, and while Sourdif is not going to match the production of Crosby or Malkin, he could develop into a solid 2C.
29Logo of the Boston Bruins-There's a really old guy playing on the blueline in Boston who could retire any day now. Barron is a modern defenceman with some size and he could ease the pain of the day when Big Z exits the league
30Logo of the St. Louis Blues-The Tarasenko injury this season has shown how important it is to have players who can slide up into the Top 6 when required. Mysak hasn't played much in the OHL this season, but he does have 4 goals in 5 games played. He'd be a good pickup to build depth in the organization and maybe take a Top 6 role one day
31Logo of the Washington Capitals-Third German off the board, and this time it's the Caps picking one. Reichel provides some depth at forward and can be a big part of the core of the future Caps when players like Ovechkin hang them up
Jan. 31, 2020 at 6:16 p.m.
True Reverse Retro
Between Heiskanen, Lindell, and Thomas Harley the Stars have no need to use their 1st Round Pick to draft their 3rd LD in the last 4 years. Dallas' biggest need is offense. They'll go after guys like Jacob Perreault, Jack Quinn, Kasper Simontaival, or Zion Nybeck
MasterMatt23 liked this.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 6:33 p.m.
Not so Fasth
I doubt Montreal would take Askarov. Primeau seems fine at the moment

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll