Forums/Armchair-GM

Cut free from the anchors

Created by: Jco5ta5
Team: 2019-20 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 31, 2020
Published: Jan. 31, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Goal of this exercise is to cut ties with the 4 players who are going to sink this ship during the next 6-8 years.

COL trade: SJS gets Graves who is doing quite well this year plus a 1st round pick for a player who can help out on Colorado's left side which is where they need it with Johnson and Makar playing RD. This works too as Byram is waiting in the wings for probably next year so the loss of Graves isn't terrible as Byram is for sure an upgrade there and Vlasic is a good veteran leader along with Johnson.

NYI: This was a trade of bad contracts and swap of RD. NYI has the money to make it work and EK goes back to the Eastern Conf where he flourished with OTT. EK is still a force to be reconked with. For SJS, they get another first and Boychuk is definitely not that great but at least he's only signed for 3 years and not 6-8.

NJD: a swap of poor contracts and a change of scenary for PK Subban might bring some semblence of his former self back. The money is roughly equal but Sharks are off the hook after 3 years.

CAR: this is the least likely to go through/the most likely to get everyone all mad at me. Jones is signed for 5 years but behind a stellar defense, he could rebound to his former self that took this team to the SCF in 2016 and the WCF in 2019. SJS retains $2M yearly for the next 5 years sweetens the deal and SJS gets another 1st round pick.

I am not a SJS fan though I live in the Bay Area so I follow them. Let me know what you think. People aren't going to like this. Short term, these hurt, but in 5 years, y'all will be thanking me.
Trades
SJS
  1. Graves, Ryan
  2. 2020 1st round pick (COL)
SJS
  1. Boychuk, Johnny
  2. 2020 1st round pick (NYI)
SJS
  1. Reimer, James
  2. 2020 1st round pick (TOR)
CAR
  1. Jones, Martin ($2,000,000 retained)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$64,882,417$660,750$212,500$16,617,583
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 8
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$735,000$735,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,635,000$1,635,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Islanders
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
UFA - 3
$960,000$960,000
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$675,000$675,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:17 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Wow most of these are terrible.
Vlasic might be the worst contract in the entire league, you aren't getting ANYTHING of value unless you happen to find Peter Chiarelli 2.0 in a front office, and even then he might still cost you to get out from.
Reimer has solen the starting job iirc, and Jones is crap so on top of being bat **** insane alone, you aren't getting a first or anything of value back.
I'll be honest with you, I don't hate the Burns trade. Still don't think the Devils do it but on premise it isn't totally awful.
But once again with Karlsson, you aren't getting a 1st back for him with that contract.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:18 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
You're right about that Carolina trade. Reimer is having a better year than Jones, who has had inconsistent seasons for more than just this year, so why would Carolina pay the premium of a first-round pick for the privilege of seeing if Jones can turn his career around? Carolina fans and more than a few neutrals would question a Reimer-for-Jones trade straight up.
MisstheWhalers and CheeseFees liked this.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:23 p.m.
I like how they are called anchors. Then traded for 1st rd picks + each....
Klara, MisstheWhalers, KINGS67 and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:28 p.m.
I wouldn’t touch that vlasic contract with a 10 foot pole, and you want legit assets including a 1st, drinking and capfriendly don’t mix

Also love how in justification of avs and their left side you just ignore girard. Byram girard Are the avs top 4 lhs dmen for the next decade
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:35 p.m.
Wait, you just signed Karlsson like, yesterday.
To a very long term and big money deal.
You gave up a lot to get him, and then to re-sign him.
Now, he is not very good...an anchor as you describe him...and you want to Just unload him for less than half of what you paid for him lass than 1 year ago???
Are you serious???
You couldn’t picture this scenario before you pulled the trigger last summer? I mean he is not some magazine or candy bar at the check-out aisle. This couldn’t have been an impulse buy. Some serious collaboration, thoughtful consideration, and tire kicking must have gone into the decision to bring him to Silicone Valley.
What happened? I am just so shocked.
I did not see this one coming.
I am really pulling for you, that you can bring the average of your team down below 32. Good luck my hockey friend.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:42 p.m.
You sir have probably made the worst trades on this site... to think you can get 1sts for any of those players is laughable. Maybe you’ll get lucky with a top 5 pick.... oh wait.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:45 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: Bluejackets2000
Wait, you just signed Karlsson like, yesterday.
To a very long term and big money deal.
You gave up a lot to get him, and then to re-sign him.
Now, he is not very good...an anchor as you describe him...and you want to Just unload him for less than half of what you paid for him lass than 1 year ago???
Are you serious???
You couldn’t picture this scenario before you pulled the trigger last summer? I mean he is not some magazine or candy bar at the check-out aisle. This couldn’t have been an impulse buy. Some serious collaboration, thoughtful consideration, and tire kicking must have gone into the decision to bring him to Silicone Valley.
What happened? I am just so shocked.
I did not see this one coming.
I am really pulling for you, that you can bring the average of your team down below 32. Good luck my hockey friend.

To be perfectly honest I was not the one who signed him to the deal. So I personally have no qualms about him leaving.
Bluejackets2000 liked this.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:47 p.m.
Quoting: Jco5ta5
To be perfectly honest I was not the one who signed him to the deal. So I personally have no qualms about him leaving.

Not saying you did. I have much empathy. CBJ had horrible draft history with top picks and signings for a whole decade-plus 2000-2012.
It was hard to let Bob go, but the right decision. Panarin was a different story, wanted to keep him but a caged bird wanted to fly.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:47 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: KINGS67
You sir have probably made the worst trades on this site... to think you can get 1sts for any of those players is laughable. Maybe you’ll get lucky with a top 5 pick.... oh wait.

Well I wouldn’t call them the worst trades, it’s a pretty big site. Burns and Karlsson are/were perennial Norris trophy candidates. To think they can’t get a first from a desperate GM looking to win now isn’t out of this world.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:48 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: coga16
I wouldn’t touch that vlasic contract with a 10 foot pole, and you want legit assets including a 1st, drinking and capfriendly don’t mix

Also love how in justification of avs and their left side you just ignore girard. Byram girard Are the avs top 4 lhs dmen for the next decade

They weren’t ignored. I just didn’t talk about them. Vlasic can be LD3 with Girard and Byram above him.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:49 p.m.
Log off the internet
That NJ trade is genuinely interesting
Jco5ta5, CheeseFees, Random2152 and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:51 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: Random2152
Wow most of these are terrible.
Vlasic might be the worst contract in the entire league, you aren't getting ANYTHING of value unless you happen to find Peter Chiarelli 2.0 in a front office, and even then he might still cost you to get out from.
Reimer has solen the starting job iirc, and Jones is crap so on top of being bat **** insane alone, you aren't getting a first or anything of value back.
I'll be honest with you, I don't hate the Burns trade. Still don't think the Devils do it but on premise it isn't totally awful.
But once again with Karlsson, you aren't getting a 1st back for him with that contract.

I recognize the contracts are terrible which is why I’m trying to trade them ASAP while they still have value. Ask 31 NHL GMs if they’d like to have any of these three D guys on their team and you’d get 31 yes’s. Karlsson and Burns are/were perennial Norris candidates. Why wouldn’t they be able to fetch a 1st rounder?
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:51 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: Hedman77
That NJ trade is genuinely interesting

Thanks. 1 of 4 trades didn’t upset the masses. Honestly though, not sure what NJD would want with Burns.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 9:52 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: Nick623
I like how they are called anchors. Then traded for 1st rd picks + each....

What do you like about it? They will be. Having 4 players on the team makin this money is a giant anchor. But splitting them up amongst 4 teams is fine. Every team has a bad contract. It just happens for various reasons.

That said, these anchors are still solid above average hockey players. Specifically Karlsson and Burns have years of good hockey left. They improve most teams immediately. So yes, they can fetch a 1st rounder to a playoff team looking for an advantage and in turn I had to take back some salary.

You think Karlsson isn’t an improvement over Boychuk you’re crazy.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 10:19 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
What do you like about it? They will be. Having 4 players on the team makin this money is a giant anchor. But splitting them up amongst 4 teams is fine. Every team has a bad contract. It just happens for various reasons.

That said, these anchors are still solid above average hockey players. Specifically Karlsson and Burns have years of good hockey left. They improve most teams immediately. So yes, they can fetch a 1st rounder to a playoff team looking for an advantage and in turn I had to take back some salary.

You think Karlsson isn’t an improvement over Boychuk you’re crazy.

Before you go slinging big-ticket players around, you have to look at the effect their hits have on the receiving team. The Islanders have to re-sign Barzal, Pulock and Toews and find replacements for 4 skaters and Thomas Greiss. By my very preliminary analysis, NY will have $15MM in cap space (assuming a $2MM cap rise) after those contracts expire. I would be shocked if the three main players cost less than $11MM in the aggregate and the rest will be tied up in entry-level replacements. Trading Boychuk for Karlsson would put them in the hole by roughly the difference in the two contracts. Many teams are in a similar situation, so, no, I don't think 30 other GM's would be eager to have Karlsson.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 10:23 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Before you go slinging big-ticket players around, you have to look at the effect their hits have on the receiving team. The Islanders have to re-sign Barzal, Pulock and Toews and find replacements for 4 skaters and Thomas Greiss. By my very preliminary analysis, NY will have $15MM in cap space (assuming a $2MM cap rise) after those contracts expire. I would be shocked if the three main players cost less than $11MM in the aggregate and the rest will be tied up in entry-level replacements. Trading Boychuk for Karlsson would put them in the whole by roughly the difference in the two contracts. Many teams are in a similar situation, so, no, I don't think 30 other GM's would be eager to have Karlsson.

I respect what you say. It's absolutely true. But maybe they also move Leddy to make some room for Karlsson and Toews? I'm just saying hypothetically. I'm not saying it should be done before everyone goes off on me again. While I get that I can't just offload $11.5M on a team without thought, it's also not my job to make NYI whole after a single trade. That's for NYI to worry about. My job with this post is to offload the four bad contracts while they still have some semblence of value as NHL players whereas in 3 years they won't and then you're truly stuck.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 10:24 p.m.
They weren’t ignored. I just didn’t talk about them. Vlasic can be LD3 with Girard and Byram above him.

You absolute did talking about helping out the avs left hand side yet no mention of girard, or zadorov or cole, you know all
Lefties under contract . Just randomly byram and graves
Jan. 31, 2020 at 10:31 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I respect what you say. It's absolutely true. But maybe they also move Leddy to make some room for Karlsson and Toews? I'm just saying hypothetically. I'm not saying it should be done before everyone goes off on me again. While I get that I can't just offload $11.5M on a team without thought, it's also not my job to make NYI whole after a single trade. That's for NYI to worry about. My job with this post is to offload the four bad contracts while they still have some semblence of value as NHL players whereas in 3 years they won't and then you're truly stuck.

Okay, now we're all on the same page. This is a very good strategy no matter how much of it is wishful thinking. I think virtually everyone would agree with you that San Jose needs to offload these anchors. The question is whether they will be able to.
Jco5ta5 liked this.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 10:51 p.m.
You call Vlasic an anchor then expect Avs to give up a good young d-man in Graves plus a first? Explain that backwards logic
Jan. 31, 2020 at 11:15 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: Chopper02
You call Vlasic an anchor then expect Avs to give up a good young d-man in Graves plus a first? Explain that backwards logic

I call them all an anchor collectively because having 4 bad contracts (not even putting Kane's contract in here) will sink the ship eventually. Right now though Vlasic is still a serviceable NHL defenseman. I would say COL's area of strength is their depth at D so they can definitely deal from that strength however I see your point that using their strength to gain an asset such as Vlasic is a step backwards for them.

Look man, I was just trying to test things out is all. You and everyone else on this website who think they're basically Joe Sakic can put the pitchforks away.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 11:42 p.m.
I call them all an anchor collectively because having 4 bad contracts (not even putting Kane's contract in here) will sink the ship eventually. Right now though Vlasic is still a serviceable NHL defenseman. I would say COL's area of strength is their depth at D so they can definitely deal from that strength however I see your point that using their strength to gain an asset such as Vlasic is a step backwards for them.

Look man, I was just trying to test things out is all. You and everyone else on this website who think they're basically Joe Sakic can put the pitchforks away.

I'm just saying there's no way Colorado does that deal. Why would they want a 32 old defensemen whose contract already looks terrible for another 6 years while giving up first and Graves? Dont think any team will be willing to take that contract, not just the Avalanche
Jan. 31, 2020 at 11:43 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: Chopper02
I'm just saying there's no way Colorado does that deal. Why would they want a 32 old defensemen whose contract already looks terrible for another 6 years while giving up first and Graves? Dont think any team will be willing to take that contract, not just the Avalanche

Looking back, I agree. What I was going for was a team with cap space looking to add depth for the playoffs. You lose sight of other important factors along the way.
Jan. 31, 2020 at 11:49 p.m.
Looking back, I agree. What I was going for was a team with cap space looking to add depth for the playoffs. You lose sight of other important factors along the way.

I get the point, but that was not a good way to go about it. Honestly, I dont see any of these trades working out to achieve what the Sharks need. I know the Sharks wouldn't want to part with a guy like Hertl, but thay might be their best shot.
I'll give credit for the Jones trade, although likely Carolina wont have to give up the first. There could be something to it though
Feb. 1, 2020 at 1:46 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
So many teams close to the cap. It cost the Leafs a first to get rid of one year of Marleau's anchor. Sharks have too many cap anchors to get rid of.(an no other team wants_ Just gotta ride out those contracts. Maybe you get a compliance buyout before the Seattle draft.
Feb. 1, 2020 at 11:33 a.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: palhal
So many teams close to the cap. It cost the Leafs a first to get rid of one year of Marleau's anchor. Sharks have too many cap anchors to get rid of.(an no other team wants_ Just gotta ride out those contracts. Maybe you get a compliance buyout before the Seattle draft.

I’d argue that a 39 year old Marleau is a different player than a 31 year old Erik Karlsson but I see your point. Fact is Burns, Karlsson and to a lesser extent Vlasic and Jones still have value because they’re 30-32 years old so still have good years ahead of them. Marleau was a pylon.

I think the same thing about the compliance buyouts with the next CBA and possibly asking Seattle to take a contract. But I think as we’ve seen with Vegas, they can be good immediately and don’t have to be a dumping ground while they get their feet wet. So I’m not hopeful in that regard.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll