Forums/Armchair-GM

Hopefully Billy G has seen enough

Created by: JayTea
Team: 2019-20 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 2, 2020
Published: Feb. 3, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Brodin, Staal, and Foligno are all playing well enough to be players teams looking to load up for the playoffs would want, plus they all have next year still on their deals so teams acquiring them get 2 playoff runs.

Zucker and Dumba don't really fit into what the team's long term strategy should be, but trading them should wait until the draft at the earliest since there's no rush to move either of them.

Also Dubnyk should start every game between now and the end of the season. Even the back to backs.
Trades
MIN
  1. Backes, David
  2. 2020 1st round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
Boston adds a couple prospects not named Studnicka.
MIN
  1. van Riemsdyk, Trevor
  2. 2020 1st round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Carolina adds a prospect or two, nothing franchise altering. Minnesota probably tries to flip TVR for a pick.
MIN
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (FLA)
Additional Details:
Can be any team wanting a physical player who plays defense for a playoff run.
MIN
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (WPG)
Additional Details:
Can be any team looking for playoff depth.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$81,500,000$67,761,924$0$1,100,000$13,738,076
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,487,500$1,487,500
C
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, C
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$916,666$916,666 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 3
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,187,500$5,187,500
RD
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,166,667$2,166,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
UFA - 4
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 3, 2020 at 8:49 a.m.
I don't see Canes trading Edmundson, at least not for that. Put TvR on that spot and it would look better.
JayTea liked this.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 8:57 a.m.
I could see Boston offering a Backes, 1st, and a pair of prospects for Staal.
JayTea liked this.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 8:58 a.m.
14m in dead cap
Quoting: KubaH
I don't see Canes trading Edmundson, at least not for that. Put TvR on that spot and it would look better.

Works for me! I was only thinking of the roster spot and cap space. Edmunson is probably too good and might hurt the Wild by blocking a shot or something.
MNBassman liked this.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 9:07 a.m.
MNBassman
I don’t want the Wild getting any current NHLers back in trades unless they are under 23, or a cap dump (like Backes) to get more assets out of the trade. I want them to get as young (and bad) as possible so they can completely rebuild this mess.
JayTea liked this.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 9:11 a.m.
Foligno could get a 2nd by himself. Physical guys always get overpaid for at the TDL.

If Backes doesn't come with at least a 2nd+ then Bos can keep him. $4m and $1m in dead cap is his buyout.

1+ years of Staal, who is still a 60p+ top-6 center making chump change, better get more than 2 2nds.

The Car trade doesn't make much sense for either team.
Wildwinswhen and MNBassman liked this.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 9:34 a.m.
Toronto should have kept Marleau for this final season, instead of sacrificing their first. Matthews & Marner are exceptional hockey players, but should each see $10+ M immediately after the ELC? I can go back say why sign a 37 year old $6.5 M for 3 year. It is a mess in Toronto. I sorry for being a little off topic. I needed to vent.
MNBassman liked this.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 9:36 a.m.
14m in dead cap
Quoting: MNBassman
I don’t want the Wild getting any current NHLers back in trades unless they are under 23, or a cap dump (like Backes) to get more assets out of the trade. I want them to get as young (and bad) as possible so they can completely rebuild this mess.

In the case of getting a roster guy from Carolina, they could flip that player for a pick. I didn't include that because I have no idea what Carolina's defensemen are worth.

Quoting: wabit
Foligno could get a 2nd by himself. Physical guys always get overpaid for at the TDL.

If Backes doesn't come with at least a 2nd+ then Bos can keep him. $4m and $1m in dead cap is his buyout.

1+ years of Staal, who is still a 60p+ top-6 center making chump change, better get more than 2 2nds.

The Car trade doesn't make much sense for either team.

I think you're overvaluing Foligno. GMs aren't giving up assets like they used to. Backes isn't a big enough problem for the Bruins to justify a lot more like you've suggested. If they buy him out, his cap hit isn't bad for a team that doesn't really have other problem contracts. Getting anything out of them, especially moving up in a deep draft, is a win.

Maybe you get more from Staal. He vanished last time he was traded and look how he played last year when rumors had him on the trade block. I think GMs would hesitate to give up a 1st, unless it's under the scenario @Gofnut999 suggested which I'd rather take. I just didn't think the Bruins would have a ton of interest.
MNBassman liked this.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 9:45 a.m.
Bravo on the bruins trade. i dont think foligno is the target but the description in it thank you. crazy how dumb people are that think its similar.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 9:56 a.m.
Quoting: JayTea
In the case of getting a roster guy from Carolina, they could flip that player for a pick. I didn't include that because I have no idea what Carolina's defensemen are worth.

I think you're overvaluing Foligno. GMs aren't giving up assets like they used to. Backes isn't a big enough problem for the Bruins to justify a lot more like you've suggested. If they buy him out, his cap hit isn't bad for a team that doesn't really have other problem contracts. Getting anything out of them, especially moving up in a deep draft, is a win.

Maybe you get more from Staal. He vanished last time he was traded and look how he played last year when rumors had him on the trade block. I think GMs would hesitate to give up a 1st, unless it's under the scenario @Gofnut999 suggested which I'd rather take. I just didn't think the Bruins would have a ton of interest.

Here is the thing with Boston and Backes. If they use a significant pick to move Backes and get nothing in return they are screwing themselves. It severely limits the capital they have to work with to make other moves as they are highly unlikely to trade a 1st and a 2nd from the same draft. The only way they could do the above is if LA would accept a 21 2nd and prospect for Toffoli or something similar with other teams accepting a 21 pick.

Boston wanted Staal last year and had a deal in place that Fenton backed out of. It’s not the RW they need but Bjork is looking like it might not be as necessary as that once was. Staal takes 3C, Coyle slides to RW. It works for both teams if the prospects can be agreed upon.

Be pretty hard pressed to get a 2nd straight up for Foligno.
JayTea liked this.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 10:16 a.m.
14m in dead cap
@Gofnut999 @MNBassman @KubaH

Fixed the trades. Be nice if they could get more, but I'd consider these minimum to get a serious conversation going.
MNBassman liked this.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 10:17 a.m.

Last time he was traded NYR used him as a 3rd line winger. I have no problem not trading Staal. I actually think its a very bad idea. The guy is on a great contract, he wants to be in MN, and he's not blocking anyone prospects from playing time.

If you want another comparable for Backes; that's not Marleau; use Orpik. He cost a 2nd and Grubauer for WSH to get rid of. His buyout was only $2.5m and $1.5m.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 10:23 a.m.
14m in dead cap
Last time he was traded NYR used him as a 3rd line winger. I have no problem not trading Staal. I actually think its a very bad idea. The guy is on a great contract, he wants to be in MN, and he's not blocking anyone prospects from playing time.

If you want another comparable for Backes; that's not Marleau; use Orpik. He cost a 2nd and Grubauer for WSH to get rid of. His buyout was only $2.5m and $1.5m.

So hold on to him and lose him for nothing after next year? That's worse asset management than trading for a lower return than you think he's worth. The team needs to accept anyone below a certain age isn't in the team's future and they need to move them for futures with the goal of being ready to seriously compete once Suter and Parise are off the books. They had a good run, but this team isn't winning anything without SERIOUS changes.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 10:28 a.m.

I use Steve Mason. Grubbauer was getting traded anyway and the package was looking to be a pair of picks. Caps gave up the 2nd pick to move Orpik instead.

Mason was moved with a 25 point FW a 4th and 7th for a fringe player. So Backes, Kuraly, 4th, 7th for Anas. Or would you rather add something of value to build on as you are not going to be competitive during Staals contract?
JayTea liked this.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 10:29 a.m.
14m in dead cap

As a Caps fan, I can say that isn't a fair comparison because the Caps cap situation was worse than Boston's that year. They absolutely had to unload Orpik. Boston will be fine if they buy Backes out.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 1:15 p.m.
As a Caps fan, I can say that isn't a fair comparison because the Caps cap situation was worse than Boston's that year. They absolutely had to unload Orpik. Boston will be fine if they buy Backes out.

Then they can buy him out if they won't pay to get rid of him. MN is already wasting enough cap by overpaying Spurgeon, Parise, Zucc, and Rask. Spending another $4m-$6m in dead cap limits what MN can do with other trades because they will be pushing the cap again.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 1:20 p.m.
14m in dead cap
Then they can buy him out if they won't pay to get rid of him. MN is already wasting enough cap by overpaying Spurgeon, Parise, Zucc, and Rask. Spending another $4m-$6m in dead cap limits what MN can do with other trades because they will be pushing the cap again.

And what do you imagine they'll do with the cap space next year to make the team better in the long run? Sign another UFA vet who will be too old before the team is ready to compete again?

Use the cap space for a year to take on a problem contract and get something out of it. Taking on Backes for 2 months this year and all of next season does absolutely nothing to set the franchise back. In the scenario above, they have $8m in cap space minus 3 league minimum healthy scratches. Koivu's $5.5m comes off the books this summer. That's more than enough to make a trade if one presents itself.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 1:38 p.m.
And what do you imagine they'll do with the cap space next year to make the team better in the long run? Sign another UFA vet who will be too old before the team is ready to compete again?

Use the cap space for a year to take on a problem contract and get something out of it. Taking on Backes for 2 months this year and all of next season does absolutely nothing to set the franchise back. In the scenario above, they have $8m in cap space minus 3 league minimum healthy scratches. Koivu's $5.5m comes off the books this summer. That's more than enough to make a trade if one presents itself.

Signing Kaprizov+Kunin+Greenway+Soucy will be $10m or more. The team has a 3C (JEE) and a couple of bad 4C (Backes/Rask), and no sign/trade for even a low 2C like Haula.

The worst part is you're taking Backes for free. 1st+ for Staal alone would cover the that part of your trade.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:14 p.m.
14m in dead cap
Signing Kaprizov+Kunin+Greenway+Soucy will be $10m or more. The team has a 3C (JEE) and a couple of bad 4C (Backes/Rask), and no sign/trade for even a low 2C like Haula.

The worst part is you're taking Backes for free. 1st+ for Staal alone would cover the that part of your trade.

They don't need a low 2C. Play the guys they have, sign a cheap reclamation project like Staal was when they got him. The goal is to be bad, I don't think you get that part. We want them drafting in the top 5. Aim to compete in 5 years when Suter and Parise are gone.

It's not taking Backes for free. @Gofnut999 suggested a 1st and 2 prospects so the 1st and 1 prospect is for Staal, the 2nd prospect is for Backes. Maybe they get more, but I highly doubt any team is paying more. Teams aren't parting with assets like they were when Fletcher gave up a package for Hanzal.
Gofnut999 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll