Forums/Armchair-GM

Zuccarello Trade Ideas

Created by: MNBassman
Team: 2020-21 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 3, 2020
Published: Feb. 3, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Im curious about two things: 1) would Zuccarello waive his NMC if the Wild commit to a rebuild (as they should) and 2) how much salary would the Wild have to retain to trade him?

Consider the trades below as players I would like to pursue in a trade for Zuccarello...
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,250,000
2$1,250,000
3$2,000,000
1$850,000
4$1,850,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
MIN
  1. Anderson, Josh [RFA Rights]
CBJ
    Zuccarello ($2m retained)
    MIN
    1. Virtanen, Jake [RFA Rights]
    VAN
      MIN
      1. Puljujärvi, Jesse [Reserve List]
      EDM
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        25$83,000,000$74,132,758$0$0$8,867,242
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the Minnesota Wild
        $7,538,462$7,538,462
        LW
        NMC
        UFA - 5
        $2,000,000$2,000,000
        C
        UFA - 2
        $5,500,000$5,500,000
        LW, RW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 3
        $1,625,000$1,625,000
        C
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $1,900,000$1,900,000
        LW, C, RW
        UFA - 1
        $3,000,000$3,000,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1
        $1,487,500$1,487,500
        C
        UFA - 1
        $2,875,000$2,875,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1
        $1,900,000$1,900,000
        C, RW
        UFA - 1
        $1,000,000$1,000,000
        C
        UFA - 2
        $2,000,000$2,000,000
        RW, C
        RFA - 2
        $925,000$925,000
        LW
        UFA - 1
        $6,000,000$6,000,000
        RW, LW
        NMC
        UFA - 4
        $1,250,000$1,250,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 2
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $7,538,462$7,538,462
        LD
        NMC
        UFA - 5
        $6,000,000$6,000,000
        RD
        UFA - 3
        $2,166,667$2,166,667
        G
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $4,166,667$4,166,667
        LD
        NMC
        UFA - 1
        $7,575,000$7,575,000
        RD
        NMC
        UFA - 7
        $785,000$785,000
        G
        UFA - 2
        $2,250,000$2,250,000
        RD
        UFA - 1
        $1,250,000$1,250,000
        G
        UFA - 2
        $850,000$850,000
        D
        UFA
        $700,000$700,000
        LD/RD
        UFA - 1
        $1,850,000$1,850,000
        LD/RD
        UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:24 p.m.
        I dont think teams want a NMC heading into the expansion draft, Unless its voided once he waives it, you might be stuck with him
        Linie057 liked this.
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:25 p.m.
        Banned
        Quoting: coga16
        I dont think teams want a NMC heading into the expansion draft, Unless its voided once he waives it, you might be stuck with him

This
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:26 p.m.
        Banned
        Zucc isn't waiving his NMC, And i doubt teams want his NMC with the expansion draft coming up in 2021.
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:26 p.m.
        MNBassman

I agree. If he agreed to waive it to the team he was traded to, what scenario do you see as making sense?
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:27 p.m.

teams only have the "opt-out" if the player is traded before the NMC contract starts. even if zucc waives, the new team will have his full NMC.
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:29 p.m.
        Columbus declines. We already have several players like Zuccarello. We’d rather keep Anderson who plays a much different style and has a size factor we don’t really have on the right side, outside of him.
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:30 p.m.
        Quoting: MNBassman
        I agree. If he agreed to waive it to the team he was traded to, what scenario do you see as making sense?

To get the best value back at least 1m retention starts to become tempting. Zucc at 4 years 5m aav...would be hard press to find that UFA value for a2nd line winger.
        Thats how I see it at least, give a team an option they cant find in UFA
        MNBassman liked this.
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:33 p.m.
        Quoting: grok
        teams only have the "opt-out" if the player is traded before the NMC contract starts. even if zucc waives, the new team will have his full NMC.

good to know. So no team really wants that unless they are getting rid of a NMC in a deal as well
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:33 p.m.

I believe this is true. Zuccarello has and will always have a NMC no matter where he goes. Making him very unattractive for a team until the expansion draft business is settled. After that, if he can still play, I could see some team making a move for him but it surely won't be for the guys you mentioned.
        MNBassman liked this.
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 3:14 p.m.
        Xx_Zegras46_xX
        Would you do Kase for Zucc
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 3:22 p.m.

good to know. So no team really wants that unless they are getting rid of a NMC in a deal as well

Quoting: F50marco
        I believe this is true. Zuccarello has and will always have a NMC no matter where he goes. Making him very unattractive for a team until the expansion draft business is settled. After that, if he can still play, I could see some team making a move for him but it surely won't be for the guys you mentioned.

Not true.

What is a No-Move Clause (NMC)?
        A No-Move Clause (NMC) can be added to a player's contract in the years after they are eligible for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency (7 Accrued seasons or 27 years of age), and has the following properties:
        - Player cannot be traded without his consent (however, the clause can specify a modified no-trade clause that limits the NTC to a certain number of teams)
        - Player cannot be placed on waivers without his consent
        - Player cannot be assigned to the minors without his consent
        - Player is not exempt from a buyout or contract termination
        - The clause can travel with the player even if he consents to being traded or is claimed on waivers
        -- This requires that the acquiring team sign an addendum to the contract ensuring that the clause does in fact travel with the player (written by the player's agent)
        -- If the acquiring team refuses to sign the addendum, and the player waives his clause anyway, at that point the clause may be nullified

- If the player is traded before the clause takes effect, the acquiring team can opt to void the clause

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#nmc
        MNBassman liked this.
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 3:42 p.m.
        Quoting: CD282
        Not true.

A No-Move Clause (NMC) can be added to a player's contract in the years after they are eligible for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency (7 Accrued seasons or 27 years of age), and has the following properties:
        - Player cannot be traded without his consent (however, the clause can specify a modified no-trade clause that limits the NTC to a certain number of teams)
        - The clause can travel with the player even if he consents to being traded or is claimed on waivers
        -- This requires that the acquiring team sign an addendum to the contract ensuring that the clause does in fact travel with the player (written by the player's agent)
        -- If the acquiring team refuses to sign the addendum, and the player waives his clause anyway, at that point the clause may be nullified

- If the player is traded before the clause takes effect, the acquiring team can opt to void the clause

lol ok if the player deliberately agrees to waive it and not keep it going forward also, the team claiming him doesn't have to keep it either. I kind of feel that was a given. That involves the player agreeing to not have it any longer.

If Zuccarello decides he still ants the NMC clause but will waive it for the purposes of a single trade only, his agent will make that part of the trade process. Meaning it will stay with him and his contract.
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 3:59 p.m.
        lol ok if the player deliberately agrees to waive it and not keep it going forward also, the team claiming him doesn't have to keep it either. I kind of feel that was a given. That involves the player agreeing to not have it any longer.

If Zuccarello decides he still ants the NMC clause but will waive it for the purposes of a single trade only, his agent will make that part of the trade process. Meaning it will stay with him and his contract.

Not a given. The statement @grok made is false.
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 4:04 p.m.
        Not a given. The statement @grok made is false.

Are you sure? It happened with Subban awhile back. His NTC was not honored once he was traded to Nashville, before his NTC kicked in. If the players NTC/NMC has not kicked in yet, the team trading for him apparently has the right to not honor it. Once its in play however and the player wants to keep it, there is nothing a team can do to "remove" it without the players consent.
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 4:09 p.m.
        Are you sure? It happened with Subban awhile back. His NTC was not honored once he was traded to Nashville, before his NTC kicked in. If the players NTC/NMC has not kicked in yet, the team trading for him apparently has the right to not honor it. Once its in play however and the player wants to keep it, there is nothing a team can do to "remove" it without the players consent.

I posted the FAQ sheet from this site above. Re-read that and it should answer your query.
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 4:29 p.m.
        MNBassman
        Quoting: MDA_47
        Would you do Kase for Zucc

In a heartbeat!
        Stgstg55 liked this.
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 4:34 p.m.
        MNBassman
        Not true.

Thank you for this! There has been a lot of confusion about this on this site...and I’ve probably been the one most confused.
        CD282 liked this.
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 5:01 p.m.
        I posted the FAQ sheet from this site above. Re-read that and it should answer your query.

Yeah i see that but im saying Zucc can agree to be traded WHILE also keeping his NMC if he wants to. As per stating it in the trade agreement prior to being traded. Right?
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 5:23 p.m.
        MNBassman
        If I was Zuccarello and the team I just signed a 5 year deal with decided to tear it down and rebuild, I would definitely waive my NMC and waive it for the team acquiring me if that’s what it would take to get moved. However, I would only do this to go to a contending team.
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 6:23 p.m.
        Yeah i see that but im saying Zucc can agree to be traded WHILE also keeping his NMC if he wants to. As per stating it in the trade agreement prior to being traded. Right?

Sure, but the statement I was responding to was "teams only have the "opt-out" if the player is traded before the NMC contract starts" which is incorrect. There is a way to trade an NMC'd player and have the clause removed, but it requires all parties to agree.

So as you say it's possible for the player to agree to the trade while not agreeing to remove the clause. It's hard to see Edmonton (or anyone) doing that right now because it impacts the expansion draft charts - they'd really have to like the player. This is one of the reasons why the Lucic-Neal trade was so good for Edmonton: Lucic needs to be protected while Neal does not.
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 6:26 p.m.
        Sure, but the statement I was responding to was "teams only have the "opt-out" if the player is traded before the NMC contract starts" which is incorrect. There is a way to trade an NMC'd player and have the clause removed, but it requires all parties to agree.

So as you say it's possible for the player to agree to the trade while not agreeing to remove the clause. It's hard to see Edmonton (or anyone) doing that right now because it impacts the expansion draft charts - they'd really have to like the player. This is one of the reasons why the Lucic-Neal trade was so good for Edmonton: Lucic needs to be protected while Neal does not.

Lol Ok fair enough. Semantics it is. wink
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 7:53 p.m.
        He'd only waive for the Rangers I bet.
        Wildwinswhen liked this.
        Feb. 3, 2020 at 8:46 p.m.
        MNBassman
        Quoting: BLIvingston33
        He'd only waive for the Rangers I bet.

Maybe Dallas too.
        Wildwinswhen liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question: