SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Winnipeg Jets

how do we move on from byfuglien

Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:32 p.m.
Cold spaghetti
Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:34 p.m.
bigZ
I think Frank Servalli or someone on twitter said that they are expected to have a mutual contract termination? So it opens cap space for the Jets before the deadline?
Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:34 p.m.
You move on in 2021/2022
Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:38 p.m.
Quoting: bigZ98
I think Frank Servalli or someone on twitter said that they are expected to have a mutual contract termination? So it opens cap space for the Jets before the deadline?

A mutual termination of contract only removes the cap hit if Buff walks away from the money. Early retirement becomes a recapture penalty, buy out has cap repercussions, really it's only next season left so could probably pay to have a team hit the cap floor and Buff just sits and gets paid or wait out next season and it's free and clear
Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:38 p.m.
weaponize the cap space going into the TDL and ride the wave

Just an example, take on the Backes contract and gain an solid asset in the process. That sort of line of thinking
bunzy1034 liked this.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:39 p.m.
Spleenmaster1002
I think it’s a wait and see until the deadline. I’m assuming Chevy has defensive rentals he’s looking at but waiting until then to make a decision whether to pull the trigger on a Vatanen or Dillon. IMO we wait out the season, draft a good centre prospect and hope to get a top-4 RHD in free agency. I’ve got high hopes in Heinola and Samberg, and I think at least one of those two should be ready on opening day next year. If we run:

Jomo-Pionk
Niku-UFA
Samberg/Heinola-Poolman

I think we’re fine. A little on the young side, but still talented.

Forwards I don’t worry about. 2C is always a question mark, but Little should be fine for the job.
bunzy1034 liked this.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:41 p.m.
bigZ
Quoting: Boomer125
A mutual termination of contract only removes the cap hit if Buff walks away from the money. Early retirement becomes a recapture penalty, buy out has cap repercussions, really it's only next season left so could probably pay to have a team hit the cap floor and Buff just sits and gets paid or wait out next season and it's free and clear

https://www.tsn.ca/trade-bait-winnipeg-jets-and-dustin-byfuglien-heading-toward-split-1.1437152

Literally says here mutual contract termination. So they might be getting 7.6mill in cap
Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:41 p.m.
Cold spaghetti
Quoting: Spleenmaster1002
I think it’s a wait and see until the deadline. I’m assuming Chevy has defensive rentals he’s looking at but waiting until then to make a decision whether to pull the trigger on a Vatanen or Dillon. IMO we wait out the season, draft a good centre prospect and hope to get a top-4 RHD in free agency. I’ve got high hopes in Heinola and Samberg, and I think at least one of those two should be ready on opening day next year. If we run:

Jomo-Pionk
Niku-UFA
Samberg/Heinola-Poolman

I think we’re fine. A little on the young side, but still talented.

Forwards I don’t worry about. 2C is always a question mark, but Little should be fine for the job.

I think if we were going to make a trade we should try and look at something more long term. I would look at Dumba, i mean it might cost a good amount but I think he would be a perfect fit
Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:42 p.m.
https://www.tsn.ca/trade-bait-winnipeg-jets-and-dustin-byfuglien-heading-toward-split-1.1437152

Literally says here mutual contract termination. So they might be getting 7.6mill in cap

Well not the first time I've been wrong lol, so that's a positive for the Jets
Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:43 p.m.

I dont think any of that applies to Buff, this isn't a Luongo, Weber, old CBA contract
capfriendlyaccount liked this.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:44 p.m.
Spleenmaster1002
Quoting: bunzy1034
I think if we were going to make a trade we should try and look at something more long term. I would look at Dumba, i mean it might cost a good amount but I think he would be a perfect fit

Yeah for a trade we definitely should be looking long term like a Dumba or a Manson.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:46 p.m.
bigZ

Imo they should wait until the off season since there are a ton of UFA defensmen coming up instead of trading for someone as soon as the space becomes available
Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:46 p.m.
bigZ

Imo they should wait until the off season since there are a ton of UFA defensmen coming up instead of trading for someone as soon as the space becomes available
bunzy1034 liked this.
Feb. 3, 2020 at 2:48 p.m.

If they make a trade it won't be a blockbuster at this point unless it's something they really can't walk away from and revisit in the offseason. I can see them inquiring about pending UFA d men at the deadline
bunzy1034 and bigZ98 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll