Forums/Armchair-GM

LEAFS AND HAWKS MAKE BLOCKBUSTER TRADE

Created by: TMLSage
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 4, 2020
Published: Feb. 4, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Interested in your thoughts of which team win this potential trade if both players agree to waive their no trade contracts.
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$77,391,310$0$70,000$4,108,690
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 4, 2020 at 2:15 a.m.
dubas gets fired
Feb. 4, 2020 at 2:19 a.m.
Edited Feb. 4, 2020 at 2:25 a.m.
Comparing their careers...

Toews = Captain of 3X Cup Winner, Conn Smythe and Selke Trophy, Messier Leadership Award, ESPY Best NHL Player Award......Legend

Tavares = Captain...Great Player
Feb. 4, 2020 at 2:25 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Quoting: Wqrrior
dubas gets fired

Quoting: ChiHawk
Toews = Captain of 3X Cup Winner, Conn Smythe and Selke Trophy, Messier Leadership Award, ESPY Best NHL Player Award......Legend

Wqrrior
Not so sure Dubas would get fired if Toews actually helped bring a Stanley Cup back to Toronto having superior leadership and defensive skills and is actually only 2 years older than Tavares.
ChiHawk liked this.
Feb. 4, 2020 at 2:31 a.m.
Caps fan idk why

Toews achievement are team related. He’s far from the better player. Legend? Doubtful Crosby Malkin Ovechkin Kane are legends toews great player amazing captain not even close to legend. It’s laughable I’m sorry. Backstrom is 2x the player
mhockey91 liked this.
Feb. 4, 2020 at 2:35 a.m.
Edited Feb. 4, 2020 at 2:57 a.m.
Quoting: Capitalfail67
Toews achievement are team related. He’s far from the better player. Legend? Doubtful Crosby Malkin Ovechkin Kane are legends toews great player amazing captain not even close to legend. It’s laughable I’m sorry. Backstrom is 2x the player

Like most fans on here, seems to be a common issue realizing the value of forwards that play a defensive game first. Toews is a stud defensively, one of the best in the game at the dot, and one of the best leaders on the ice hands down. Hawks don't win 3 cups without him, and if you honestly think differently then you aren't watching closely. If you think Backstrom is twice the player you are on drugs, Backstrom is great (albeit an assist machine next to someone we don't need to mention) but it's a tough comparison between Toews and him. To call Backstrom twice the player tells me you don't watch enough hockey.

Is Toews a Crosby, Ovy, Kane, Malkin, no, but he is HOF player without a doubt and all those guys are legends in most players minds.
TMLSage liked this.
Feb. 4, 2020 at 2:57 a.m.
Neither team would do this
And i also don’t know why either player would agree to waive their NTC
Wqrrior liked this.
Feb. 4, 2020 at 3:01 a.m.
Quoting: TMLSage
Wqrrior
Not so sure Dubas would get fired if Toews actually helped bring a Stanley Cup back to Toronto having superior leadership and defensive skills and is actually only 2 years older than Tavares.

I agree - Toews' career in total is incomparably better.

But right now I want the younger guy who isn't gradually fading. Trading for Toews in the long run is disastrous. Fortunately, evaluating this isn't necessary as Toews is a career hawk and his accomplishments will be limited to the city of chicago
TMLSage liked this.
Feb. 4, 2020 at 3:09 a.m.
GM - Canucks
Edited Feb. 4, 2020 at 3:15 a.m.

Capitalfail67
I am going to have to disagree with your comments as I actually think Toews is the better player. Toews has superior defensive and leadership skills than Tavares and captained the Hawks to 3 Stanley Cup wins and helped Canada win a couple of Olympic Golds and other international tournaments during his career. Tavares may be a better player offensively but he can not also play in a shut down role like Toews.

How can you say that Toews is not a legend when he has won more Cups and awards than most of the players you named except for Crosby. Did you know that Toews is the only player I know that a team allowed to take all 3 shoot-out attempts for it and he scored all 3 times in a 2007 World Juniors game win over the USA and not sure how you can say that is not a legend.

I live on the Westcoast in Canada and I can assure you that Toews in a legend across Canada whereas Backstrom is just a good hockey player and I know Toews is also a legend in Chicago and USA.

There is absoluetly no way that Backstrom is twice the player of Toews and I think you meant the other way around. You need to google Jonathan Toews and start doing some serious independent research on the player to get yourself up to speed with his achievements.
ChiHawk and Juice liked this.
Feb. 4, 2020 at 4:23 a.m.
What in tarnation
Capitalfail67
I am going to have to disagree with your comments as I actually think Toews is the better player. Toews has superior defensive and leadership skills than Tavares and captained the Hawks to 3 Stanley Cup wins and helped Canada win a couple of Olympic Golds and other international tournaments during his career. Tavares may be a better player offensively but he can not also play in a shut down role like Toews.

How can you say that Toews is not a legend when he has won more Cups and awards than most of the players you named except for Crosby. Did you know that Toews is the only player I know that a team allowed to take all 3 shoot-out attempts for it and he scored all 3 times in a 2007 World Juniors game win over the USA and not sure how you can say that is not a legend.

I live on the Westcoast in Canada and I can assure you that Toews in a legend across Canada whereas Backstrom is just a good hockey player and I know Toews is also a legend in Chicago and USA.

There is absoluetly no way that Backstrom is twice the player of Toews and I think you meant the other way around. You need to google Jonathan Toews and start doing some serious independent research on the player to get yourself up to speed with his achievements.

If I recall correctly, in 2009 World Championships in a game against Finland and Canada Jarkko Ruutu took also 3 attempts in a shootout. Think only two of them went in, but Finland won it regardless.

Also Oshie in 2014 Sochi Olympics against Russia. I think he also had 3 or more attempts.

It's not impossibly rare to see some player getting the responsibility in a shootout. There's some other examples too.
Capitalfail67 and TMLSage liked this.
Feb. 4, 2020 at 5:16 a.m.
What was the big reason Tavares signed in Toronto? It's his hometown right? How do you get him to waive for any team?
Feb. 4, 2020 at 7:32 a.m.
At first I dismissed it for Toronto, but then I thought about it. Toews has a shorter contract and isnt much older than tavares.

Would be a trade you'd see in the early 90s
ChiHawk and TMLSage liked this.
Feb. 4, 2020 at 7:42 a.m.
Like most fans on here, seems to be a common issue realizing the value of forwards that play a defensive game first. Toews is a stud defensively, one of the best in the game at the dot, and one of the best leaders on the ice hands down. Hawks don't win 3 cups without him, and if you honestly think differently then you aren't watching closely. If you think Backstrom is twice the player you are on drugs, Backstrom is great (albeit an assist machine next to someone we don't need to mention) but it's a tough comparison between Toews and him. To call Backstrom twice the player tells me you don't watch enough hockey.

Is Toews a Crosby, Ovy, Kane, Malkin, no, but he is HOF player without a doubt and all those guys are legends in most players minds.

Toews is by no means a legend. He is one of the better two-way forwards we've seen in the last 20 years. Fedorov was amazing and in my opinion superior to Toews in just about every aspect. Is he a legend? I think not.
That being stated. Not sure Dubas gets fired either like the other guy suggests. Even though Toews doesnt save a ton of money cap wise, salary wise he does, plus when his deal expires, Matthews will need a new contract. It weirdly makes sense both short and long term.
ChiHawk liked this.
Feb. 4, 2020 at 9:25 a.m.
Caps fan idk why
Capitalfail67

Backstrom
GP G A P +/-
940 241 672 913 119

Toews
GP G A P +/-
925 341 458 799 194

Yeah toews is much better huh? Maybe you should look up backstrom?

Malkin Crosby and Ovechkin has more awards? Ovechkin just in rockets has more awards. Cups don’t count as an individual measuring tool. Takes 22 guys to win a cup. Toews isn’t a legend and should be mentioned in the same breathe as guys like Malkin Crosby Ovechkin. That’s embarrassing you think he’s in the tier of talent.

Backstroke is “good” but is completely outplayed Toews his entire career who is a “legend”. Solid points
Feb. 4, 2020 at 9:56 a.m.
Xx_Zegras46_xX
Why are Maple leafs fan so interested in dumping Tavares already
Feb. 4, 2020 at 10:25 a.m.
Quoting: Wqrrior
I agree - Toews' career in total is incomparably better.

But right now I want the younger guy who isn't gradually fading. Trading for Toews in the long run is disastrous. Fortunately, evaluating this isn't necessary as Toews is a career hawk and his accomplishments will be limited to the city of chicago

I agree objectively Tavares is younger and probably the better player for the next 3 years of Toews's contract although Toews is playing extremely well the last couple of seasons. Prior to that, for two seasons he was dealing with back issues and his production was down.
Feb. 4, 2020 at 10:32 a.m.
Backstrom
GP G A P +/-
940 241 672 913 119

Toews
GP G A P +/-
925 341 458 799 194

Yeah toews is much better huh? Maybe you should look up backstrom?

Malkin Crosby and Ovechkin has more awards? Ovechkin just in rockets has more awards. Cups don’t count as an individual measuring tool. Takes 22 guys to win a cup. Toews isn’t a legend and should be mentioned in the same breathe as guys like Malkin Crosby Ovechkin. That’s embarrassing you think he’s in the tier of talent.

Backstroke is “good” but is completely outplayed Toews his entire career who is a “legend”. Solid points

You are doing EXACTLY the error I said a lot of people do on here and that is purely evaluating players on goals and points...dumb mistake when people on here don't consider forwards that play a strong defensive game. Toews is hands down better defensively, at the dot, as a PK kiiller, and as a leader over Backstrom.

Is he as good as Crosby or Ovy, of course not but that doesn't take away the fact that he's one of the best two way forwards, leaders, forward PK killers, and at the dot the game has seen in the last 12 years. The guy is going to the HOF and that makes him a legend as all HOF players are. Ask anyone who's played professionally with a HOF player if they think they are a legend.
TMLSage liked this.
Feb. 4, 2020 at 10:38 a.m.
Quoting: MDA_47
Why are Maple leafs fan so interested in dumping Tavares already

Because we lost a big game to the Panthers last night and the sky is falling
Feb. 4, 2020 at 10:41 a.m.
Xx_Zegras46_xX
Quoting: Juice
Because we lost a big game to the Panthers last night and the sky is falling

Rakell for Tavares
Juice liked this.
Feb. 4, 2020 at 10:47 a.m.
I would think it's obvious that the Leafs don't trade Tavares for Toews. You want to compare 2015-2020 Tavares to 2010-2015 Toews? Sure, I'll take Toews in his prime over Tavares in his prime. Today, that'd be a silly deal.

I'll also take Toews' career over Backstrom. I think Backstrom is severely underrated but Toews brought a lot more to the ice than simply points.
TMLSage liked this.
Feb. 4, 2020 at 10:47 a.m.

In 2014-15, I thought Tavares could have won the Hart. And he has never been able to raise his level of play in the post season. The difference between being good and great, is having that ability to raise your lever of game and make your team mates better.

And since I am talking about Tavares. I hated that signing. The Leafs did not need another forward. Tavares signed, and the experts pronounce the Leafs as the Stanley Cup favourites. And I thought, yeah only if Tavares plays defence. ( that is not a knock on Tavares, but Leaf should have used the money to get a stud on defence.

TOEWS ... when it is said and done, Toews will be remembered as one of the best 200 feet centres in the history of the game.
ChiHawk and TMLSage liked this.
Feb. 4, 2020 at 11:10 a.m.
Caps fan idk why
You are doing EXACTLY the error I said a lot of people do on here and that is purely evaluating players on goals and points...dumb mistake when people on here don't consider forwards that play a strong defensive game. Toews is hands down better defensively, at the dot, as a PK kiiller, and as a leader over Backstrom.

Is he as good as Crosby or Ovy, of course not but that doesn't take away the fact that he's one of the best two way forwards, leaders, forward PK killers, and at the dot the game has seen in the last 12 years. The guy is going to the HOF and that makes him a legend as all HOF players are. Ask anyone who's played professionally with a HOF player if they think they are a legend.

Backstrom is better offensively but he’s also great defensively. Both after you adjust offensively and defensively backstrom would still be the better player. “Leader” toews on a team with a ton of leadership guys. Better leader is a ghost stat. How’s his leadership the last 5 years? What site do you use to measure leadership?
Feb. 4, 2020 at 11:15 a.m.
Backstrom is better offensively but he’s also great defensively. Both after you adjust offensively and defensively backstrom would still be the better player. “Leader” toews on a team with a ton of leadership guys. Better leader is a ghost stat. How’s his leadership the last 5 years? What site do you use to measure leadership?

Clearly everyone disagrees with you here. Who's the "ton of leadership guys"? There's Toews and Seabs and recently Lehner...Kane maybe very recently but Kane was never a leader over the last 12 years and Keith pretty much keeps to himself. Last 5 years??? So you measure leadership in terms of cup wins LMAO
Feb. 4, 2020 at 11:44 a.m.
Caps fan idk why
Clearly everyone disagrees with you here. Who's the "ton of leadership guys"? There's Toews and Seabs and recently Lehner...Kane maybe very recently but Kane was never a leader over the last 12 years and Keith pretty much keeps to himself. Last 5 years??? So you measure leadership in terms of cup wins LMAO

Okay so Chris Kunitz is a better leader than Toews? Seem logical. People disagree with me? Nobody is saying he’s not a great 2 way player. He’s just not better all around than backstrom. He’s also grossly overrated. He’s a “HOF” bc he played with great players not bc he’s a great player. He won 1 Selke in 2013. Get over yourself. Measure it cups haha typical hawks fan. You guys were good for 5 years and now you suck and you can’t come to terms with it so you live in those 5 years. I actually feel bad for you.
Feb. 4, 2020 at 12:02 p.m.
Okay so Chris Kunitz is a better leader than Toews? Seem logical. People disagree with me? Nobody is saying he’s not a great 2 way player. He’s just not better all around than backstrom. He’s also grossly overrated. He’s a “HOF” bc he played with great players not bc he’s a great player. He won 1 Selke in 2013. Get over yourself. Measure it cups haha typical hawks fan. You guys were good for 5 years and now you suck and you can’t come to terms with it so you live in those 5 years. I actually feel bad for you.

Look at how many people agree with what I'm saying versus you. All around, Backstrom isn't nearly as good at the dot, defensively, on the PK, and nowhere near the team leader. You probably aren't close enough to the team to understand the leadership Toews brings. Even on Team Canada you can argue Toews, despite not wearing the C, was the leader. BTW...i've been highly critical of Toews more then any Hawks fan I know, but I also know when to give credit where credit is due.

Hawks were the team of the decade...good for a solid 8 years. No team was better and no team in the cap era was or has been as dominant. I know hoping on the Capitals band wagon has been fun for you as of late but the Capitals don't even come close to what the Hawks accomplished.

Don't feel bad for me, look in the mirror bud. I've been around this sport for 35 years, I take a lot of what folks like you say with a grain of salt...comparing players purely on points and goals is laughable for those that don't know the sport well and then calling Toews not a leader or only a HOF because of players around him...you clearly don't know hockey all that well.
TMLSage liked this.
Feb. 4, 2020 at 2:48 p.m.
What in tarnation
Look at how many people agree with what I'm saying versus you. All around, Backstrom isn't nearly as good at the dot, defensively, on the PK, and nowhere near the team leader. You probably aren't close enough to the team to understand the leadership Toews brings. Even on Team Canada you can argue Toews, despite not wearing the C, was the leader. BTW...i've been highly critical of Toews more then any Hawks fan I know, but I also know when to give credit where credit is due.

Hawks were the team of the decade...good for a solid 8 years. No team was better and no team in the cap era was or has been as dominant. I know hoping on the Capitals band wagon has been fun for you as of late but the Capitals don't even come close to what the Hawks accomplished.

Don't feel bad for me, look in the mirror bud. I've been around this sport for 35 years, I take a lot of what folks like you say with a grain of salt...comparing players purely on points and goals is laughable for those that don't know the sport well and then calling Toews not a leader or only a HOF because of players around him...you clearly don't know hockey all that well.

Imo Pens was the team of the decade...Blackhawks close 2nd though.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll