Forums/Armchair-GM

The next 11 days are the biggest of the season TDL moves

Created by: exo2769
Team: 2019-20 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 5, 2020
Published: Feb. 5, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I'm selling because the next 11 days are the most important of the entire season...and we just lost ground to NSH and MIN...when we needed to win. We also didn't gain any ground on WPG either. Toews/Kane didn't play terrible, but let's be fully accountable. There didn't play well when they needed to.

BOS, WPG, EDM, VAN, CGY, WPG. You need 9 points here. 3 wins and 3 OT losses. If you lose 1 game outright...you need 4 wins. The Hawks can't walk away with 7 points because that VERY like means WPG or CGY gained ground on the Hawks....the teams in this race.

Oh and WPG's schedule is STL, OTT, CHI, NYR, SJS, CHI, LAK, OTT... 6 of those games are either CHI or Bottom feeders. CHI can't give WPG...ANY Points.

Oh and CGY's schedule is NSH, VAN, SJS, LAK, ANA, CHI, ANA...6 (OF SEVEN) teams with a worse record than CGY...

The playoffs started yesterday for CHI...they're down 1 game.
Trades
CHI
  1. 2020 4th round pick (DET)
Additional Details:
TBL is just a placeholder
TBL
    I'm just suggesting that Stan should work his way into a 3-way trade for a cap hit this year...like the Brassard trade and Vegas. Take on some minor 1 year cap issues that you can easily handle, but don't expect too much. a 3rd/4th rounder to help out other teams is fine.
    CHI
    1. Mrázek, Petr
    2. 2020 1st round pick (TOR)
    3. 2020 2nd round pick (NYR)
    4. 2020 3rd round pick (BUF)
    Additional Details:
    Ship Mrazek to the MOON!

The attempt is a poor mans Hamilton. Yes Yes, Gus is no where close to Hamilton, but he probides a lot of elements than CAR needs. VERY cheap cap hit. 100% provides offense. Can be pair with a defensive minded Dman...like CAR has...and obviously the big fish...Lehner @ half cap.
    CAR
    1. Gustafsson, Erik
    2. Lehner, Robin ($2,500,000 retained)
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$81,500,000$53,321,686$0$7,877,500$28,178,314
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,475,000$2M)
    C
    UFA - 1
    $2,625,000$2,625,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    C, RW
    RFA - 3
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 3
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 2
    $775,833$775,833 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,538,462$5,538,462
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    RFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    G
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $3,850,000$3,850,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $3,333,225$3,333,225
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $3,125,000$3,125,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
    $1,450,000$1,450,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 3
    $6,875,000$6,875,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $4,550,000$4,550,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 5, 2020 at 8:52 a.m.
    Jetsfan
    I like it when someone else thinks the same...I was doing the same for our schedule...The Jets(If they play well) have a great chance to be in a WC spot come the 24th...smile
    Feb. 5, 2020 at 8:53 a.m.
    exo2769
    Edited Feb. 5, 2020 at 9:43 a.m.
    Quoting: Jetman
    I like it when someone else thinks the same...I was doing the same for our schedule...The Jets(If they play well) have a great chance to be in a WC spot come the 24th...smile

I don't want to "like" this, but I agree. cheers
    Feb. 5, 2020 at 8:56 a.m.
    Pop Pop
    I can't see Carolina moving a 1st and 2 2nds for rentals but getting lehner would be a win.
    exo2769 liked this.
    Feb. 5, 2020 at 8:58 a.m.
    exo2769
    Quoting: Jfstompers
    I can't see Carolina moving a 1st and 2 2nds for rentals but getting lehner would be a win.

You're probably right, but I do think CAR is in the PERFECT position to make a move like this. They have Four...ish (working off the top of my head) 1st round prospects trying to get an NHL roster spot next year. Their stars are locked up LONG term. 1 draft class won't break their farm system AT ALL...so solve your biggest problems. BUT yeah, I hear ya. It's a lot to give up.

***EDIT*** I revised it, make any difference in your opinion?
    Feb. 5, 2020 at 9:02 a.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    The Canes are in about the same position as the Hawks...unlikley to the playoffs. I can't see them giving up all of that. The Leafs depending on how long Anderssen their season might be finished anyway. You've heard my rants about Ceci. Leafs can't really trade a Dman without getting one in return.
    exo2769 liked this.
    Feb. 5, 2020 at 9:07 a.m.
    exo2769
    Edited Feb. 5, 2020 at 9:16 a.m.
    Quoting: palhal
    The Canes are in about the same position as the Hawks...unlikley to the playoffs. I can't see them giving up all of that. The Leafs depending on how long Anderssen their season might be finished anyway. You've heard my rants about Ceci. Leafs can't really trade a Dman without getting one in return.

CAR is in a very unique position. I have been watching a number of their games this year. I like CAR (and AZ) right behind my team the Hawks. Their defense is really good. Their offense is really good. They have the worst goalie tandem in the entire NHL and I would 100% take Howard Bernier over Mrazek Reimer. Getting a Goalie in my opinion changes the entire dynamic of this team. They have a great farm system. The checkers are good. Their stars are LOCKED up for a long time. They have the pieces to keep the organization running smoothly while also going for it.

***EDIT*** As a side note...CAR has been in goalie purgatory for what...a decade now? Just pay up to get him and put ALL of that to rest, no?

TOR is also in a unique position. Anderson will come back at some point this year. I hear you on Ceci. I don't think he's been as bad as people say on here at all. He does have a large cap hit. I'm not sure I have a good solution for that problem because I don't think a Gilbert of Koekkoek would solve what were talking about. Maybe Hainsey back? IDK, but having a backup with clearly some solid playoff experience will help Anderson in SOO many ways. Just nights off too.
    Feb. 5, 2020 at 9:20 a.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Quoting: exo2769
    CAR is in a very unique position. I have been watching a number of their games this year. I like CAR (and AZ) right behind my team the Hawks. Their defense is really good. Their offense is really good. They have the worst goalie tandem in the entire NHL and I would 100% take Howard Bernier over Mrazek Reimer. Getting a Goalie in my opinion changes the entire dynamic of this team. They have a great farm system. The checkers are good. Their stars are LOCKED up for a long time. They have the pieces to keep the organization running smoothly while also going for it.

TOR is also in a unique position. Anderson will come back at some point this year. I hear you on Ceci. I don't think he's been as bad as people say on here at all. He does have a large cap hit. I'm not sure I have a good solution for that problem because I don't think a Gilbert of Koekkoek would solve what were talking about. Maybe Hainsey back? IDK, but having a backup with clearly some solid playoff experience will help Anderson in SOO many ways. Just nights off too.

Big game tonight for Hutchinson and the Leafs. Hutch has won his last three starts, can he be the guy. It's funny Leaf fans always need whipping boys. Last Hainsey was the perfect partner for the reckless Reilly. My early seasons posts about the Leafs being weaker defensively has been true. Hainsey, Zaitsev and Gardiner......are better than the three replacements, Barrie, Ceci and Holl. Plus the injuries to Dermot, Muzzin and Reilly have really stetted a razor thin depth defence
    Actually when considering the forwards had injuries to Hyman, Johnson, Mikheyvov, Tavares and Marner: and the Leafs started the season with the worse coach in the NHL, the Leafs have been done remarkably well this season.
    Carolina. Wonder if Jimmy Howard might be the guy for Carolina...maybe even the Leafs.
    exo2769 liked this.
    Feb. 5, 2020 at 9:25 a.m.
    exo2769
    Quoting: palhal
    Big game tonight for Hutchinson and the Leafs. Hutch has won his last three starts, can he be the guy. It's funny Leaf fans always need whipping boys. Last Hainsey was the perfect partner for the reckless Reilly. My early seasons posts about the Leafs being weaker defensively has been true. Hainsey, Zaitsev and Gardiner......are better than the three replacements, Barrie, Ceci and Holl. Plus the injuries to Dermot, Muzzin and Reilly have really stetted a razor thin depth defence
    Actually when considering the forwards had injuries to Hyman, Johnson, Mikheyvov, Tavares and Marner: and the Leafs started the season with the worse coach in the NHL, the Leafs have been done remarkably well this season.
    Carolina. Wonder if Jimmy Howard might be the guy for Carolina...maybe even the Leafs.

I made the DET reference more so because Bernier even against PHI the other night was pretty decent. Made good saves. Has a pretty terrible team in front of him. Howard, while I could easily see DET retaining AND accepting a MUCH smaller trade price...He's still got the worst GSAA in the entire NHL. I'd more so suggest TOR doing this than CAR. CAR needs a starter. That's not Howard. If Hutch plays well...ok...if not then it's not a huge price to pay for Howard...heck I'm sure Mike Green retained could be in the mix too.
    palhal liked this.
    Feb. 5, 2020 at 11:12 a.m.
    Drumman44
    Good analysis.

As @palhal mentioned, Carolina is on the outside looking in for the playoffs as well. I can see them making the move for Lehner only if an extension is in place.
    exo2769 liked this.
    Feb. 5, 2020 at 12:30 p.m.
    We can do better for Crow then a cap dump and Bracco who's a borderline AHL/NHL player. I don't know much about the other guys.
    Feb. 7, 2020 at 11:57 a.m.
    In my opinion, you can not sell both net-minders. It sends the wrong message to the team, who have done many things right and find themselves battling to make the playoffs. It sends the wrong message to the fan base. “We are five points out, but we are going to pack it in, cause we can get players and pics at the TDL that may better the club tomorrow.” Two years out of the postseason extends to three, and this organization has suddenly reversed its culture to win, especially after the last decade (which no doubt has been the teams most competitive and successful in its history)

To move Lehner, (I really don’t see problem signing him) it will need to be a draft pic, and or prospects which can impact the franchise now, as it would if Lehner signs. I can’t see Bowman moving Lehner at TDL unless the return nets the Hawks, say the 10th or better overall pick. To make this deal, there will need to be more enticements ( picks and or prospects)
    Feb. 7, 2020 at 12:03 p.m.
    Quoting: DrumMan44
    Good analysis.

As @palhal mentioned, Carolina is on the outside looking in for the playoffs as well. I can see them making the move for Lehner only if an extension is in place.

Yes, it will cost a team a lot to get Lehner, so I agree there will be a contract extension in place.
    Feb. 7, 2020 at 6:29 p.m.
    exo2769
    Quoting: Hawksince71
    In my opinion, you can not sell both net-minders. It sends the wrong message to the team, who have done many things right and find themselves battling to make the playoffs. It sends the wrong message to the fan base. “We are five points out, but we are going to pack it in, cause we can get players and pics at the TDL that may better the club tomorrow.” Two years out of the postseason extends to three, and this organization has suddenly reversed its culture to win, especially after the last decade (which no doubt has been the teams most competitive and successful in its history)

To move Lehner, (I really don’t see problem signing him) it will need to be a draft pic, and or prospects which can impact the franchise now, as it would if Lehner signs. I can’t see Bowman moving Lehner at TDL unless the return nets the Hawks, say the 10th or better overall pick. To make this deal, there will need to be more enticements ( picks and or prospects)

I'm not saying your wrong. Nor am I saying I'd hate for Bowman to go for it. I do think this team is better than they are playing. BUT, I do ultimately have a different opinion. Right now is their competition..
    Just for the wild card. Sure BOS is a potential cup contender, but that's it. All the other teams right now are wild card bubble teams. If you can't make it into a playoff position in the next 9 days...the players did NOT do enough. It's on Kane's disappearance the last two games...when they needed him. It's on toew's disappearance when they needed him. I LOVE those guys as Hawks and I'm not saying trade them. I'm saying this team CAN'T cut it...because they've proven them can't cut it against wild card competition. Not even cup contender competition.
    Feb. 8, 2020 at 10:09 a.m.
    Quoting: exo2769
    I'm not saying your wrong. Nor am I saying I'd hate for Bowman to go for it. I do think this team is better than they are playing. BUT, I do ultimately have a different opinion. Right now is their competition..
    Just for the wild card. Sure BOS is a potential cup contender, but that's it. All the other teams right now are wild card bubble teams. If you can't make it into a playoff position in the next 9 days...the players did NOT do enough. It's on Kane's disappearance the last two games...when they needed him. It's on toew's disappearance when they needed him. I LOVE those guys as Hawks and I'm not saying trade them. I'm saying this team CAN'T cut it...because they've proven them can't cut it against wild card competition. Not even cup contender competition.

To simply tank is the wrong direction. They are a bubble club, but with goaltending they have had all season, their is potential to have post season success. I have said all season, fix the power play, and this team would be in the playoffs.

This team is what I call “an artificial rebuild”, a kind of work on the fly. The Hawks goaltending this season at time made a bad club respectable. If the goaltending wasn’t there, then the club would have been forced into accepting a “full blow rebuild”.

Considering how the team has played over the last month, to how poorly they played in November, trading UFA’s simply because you receive players and picks back doesn’t strengthen your team. To me that is the definition of a general manager: To make the team better. The fate of this club is in their own hands. However, if Chicago is still looking on the outside of a play off spot after the trading deadline, there all some things to consider: #1 In March, they have 4 road games. Yes, they haven’t played great at home, but I would try and win at win in March than on the road. #2 their last 4 game are against teams outside their division.

I have never once said this team is a cup contender, but in my opinion, this team isn’t that far from being competitive. At least, what I currently see. Three scoring lines, and much better defensively (compared to last years train wreck) Boston, was a good test to how evaluate this team. The Bruin’s speed (forecheck) created all kinds of problem for the Hawks in their zone. Passes were not sharp, puck support and management was not there. Colliton said the 3rd period was the Hawk’s best. I thought it was the 2nd. But in a tight game like that, the difference can be the power play. There have been too many 1 goal games where the difference could be Chicago scoring on the power play. You are going to win too many hockey’s when your power play ranks 28th. Imagine how many game could have been won if the team was middle of the road. Dallas is currently 15th, with 19.5%. Chicago is 15.2%.
    Feb. 8, 2020 at 11:39 a.m.
    exo2769
    Quoting: Hawksince71
    To simply tank is the wrong direction. They are a bubble club, but with goaltending they have had all season, their is potential to have post season success. I have said all season, fix the power play, and this team would be in the playoffs.

This team is what I call “an artificial rebuild”, a kind of work on the fly. The Hawks goaltending this season at time made a bad club respectable. If the goaltending wasn’t there, then the club would have been forced into accepting a “full blow rebuild”.

Considering how the team has played over the last month, to how poorly they played in November, trading UFA’s simply because you receive players and picks back doesn’t strengthen your team. To me that is the definition of a general manager: To make the team better. The fate of this club is in their own hands. However, if Chicago is still looking on the outside of a play off spot after the trading deadline, there all some things to consider: #1 In March, they have 4 road games. Yes, they haven’t played great at home, but I would try and win at win in March than on the road. #2 their last 4 game are against teams outside their division.

I have never once said this team is a cup contender, but in my opinion, this team isn’t that far from being competitive. At least, what I currently see. Three scoring lines, and much better defensively (compared to last years train wreck) Boston, was a good test to how evaluate this team. The Bruin’s speed (forecheck) created all kinds of problem for the Hawks in their zone. Passes were not sharp, puck support and management was not there. Colliton said the 3rd period was the Hawk’s best. I thought it was the 2nd. But in a tight game like that, the difference can be the power play. There have been too many 1 goal games where the difference could be Chicago scoring on the power play. You are going to win too many hockey’s when your power play ranks 28th. Imagine how many game could have been won if the team was middle of the road. Dallas is currently 15th, with 19.5%. Chicago is 15.2%.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that what you're talking about is more so trying to go back in time to figure it out vs what are we going to do going forward. The Hawks are in Last place in the central today. For real, the players are letting it slip away. WPG, MIN, CGY...all their schedules are FAR easier in the next 2 weeks. I just dont see how a GM can look at his team and think they're real contenders when they keep losing ground and losing time. Get some MAJOR draft capital for the guys are likely about to lose for nothing. AT LEAST Gus and 1 of those goalies.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll