Forums/Armchair-GM

Top in the Pacific

Created by: BeterChiarelli
Team: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 5, 2020
Published: Feb. 6, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Tatar bolster's the McDavid line and provides the Oilers with a dynamic one-two punch. Teams will be forced to split their premium defenders and defensive forwards to contain both lines each night. My understanding is that with retention AND taking back a contract, Tatar is worth a 1st Round Pick plus Puljujarvi. Due to the status of this draft, I've instead opted to even out the draft capital moving between Montreal and Edmonton in exchange for no retention on Tatar.

Nash is added to Tippett's shutdown third line, further enabling it to consume the toughest minutes and stagnate a team's top line. Fourth line eats sheltered offensive zone minutes and would be actively deployed against fourth-line competition. Once Wennberg is healthy, Nash is likely to be moved into a lesser role with the Blue Jackets: Khaira can PK for Columbus as well as Nash does and Columbus recoups a draft pick and some savings in return.

Russell is likely to waive for Winnipeg, and given everything currently wrong with that team, they're getting Russell at a fair price here, especially considering Byfuglien just up and left. Important thing is that he's no longer impeding Jones from icetime and the Oilers find much-needed savings for next season.

I would risk some sort of Mike Richards-esque recapture penalty in the offseason to dispose of the human garbage known as Brandon Manning. Cap space now is more important than that scumbag collecting a paycheck.
Trades
EDM
CGY
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (EDM)
EDM
    Contract terminated
    WPG
    1. Russell, Kris ($1,000,000 retained)
    EDM
    1. Tatar, Tomas
    2. 2020 3rd round pick (MTL)
    MTL
    1. Chiasson, Alex
    2. Puljujärvi, Jesse [Reserve List]
    3. 2020 1st round pick (EDM)
    CBJ
    1. Khaira, Jujhar
    2. 2020 4th round pick (EDM)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$77,836,164$0$2,740,000$3,663,836

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $4,800,000$4,800,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $12,500,000$12,500,000
    C
    UFA - 7
    $1,950,000$1,950,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 2
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 6
    $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $900,000$900,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $808,333$808,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
    C
    UFA - 1
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $720,000$720,000 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $4,167,000$4,167,000
    LD
    UFA - 4
    $4,166,666$4,166,666
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,750,000$2M)
    G
    NTC
    UFA - 1
    $720,000$720,000 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,900,000$1,900,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $2,835,000$2,835,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $741,666$741,666
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $870,000$870,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 6, 2020 at 9:48 p.m.
    Brace for the Storm
    MTL doesn't even consider that. They (rightly) want a big piece coming back for Tatar
    Feb. 6, 2020 at 9:50 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
    MTL doesn't even consider that. They (rightly) want a big piece coming back for Tatar

This mentality is absolutely laughable.

How big of a piece are they looking for beyond a 1st Round Pick? Nevermind that Habs fans have valued Puljujarvi at Fonstad and their 2020 2nd Round Pick.

This is a phenomenally weak take, and I highly doubt that Montreal is going to ask for much more than I've offered, nor will they receive more for Tatar. Educate yourself.
    Copenhagen and CD282 liked this.
    Feb. 6, 2020 at 9:57 p.m.
    No way we should terminate Mannings contract, what if Nuge or Drai said something stupid on the ice, terminate their contract too
    Feb. 6, 2020 at 10:01 p.m.
    Brace for the Storm
    Quoting: BeterChiarelli

How big of a piece are they looking for beyond a 1st Round Pick? Nevermind that Habs fans have valued Puljujarvi at Fonstad and their 2020 2nd Round Pick.

This is a phenomenally weak take, and I highly doubt that Montreal is going to ask for much more than I've offered, nor will they receive more for Tatar. Educate yourself.

A Maksimov like prospect. Puljujarvi doesn't have enough upside to have a decent trade value right now. He's worth an early 3rd rounder IMO at best. Maybe a late 2nd...
    Feb. 6, 2020 at 10:02 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: Copenhagen
    No way we should terminate Mannings contract, what if Nuge or Drai said something stupid on the ice, terminate their contract too

Because Manning has a history of being a piece of sh*t.

It has zero to do with RNH or Draisaitl being hockey players and Manning being a goon on skates: why should any team be obligated to pay for a guy (that can barely play at an AHL level to begin with) when he's done nothing over his career but damage the NHL brand? He's intentionally hurt players and dipped into racism. If the NHL's serious about expanding their brand, every team should be allowed to nuke a contract if a player crosses those lines. There's no place for it in society, so why go out of your way to make room for it in the NHL?
    Feb. 6, 2020 at 10:05 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    A Maksimov like prospect. Puljujarvi doesn't have enough upside to have a decent trade value right now. He's worth an early 3rd rounder IMO at best. Maybe a late 2nd...

Puljujarvi has a higher ceiling AND a higher floor than Maksimov. He's also seen NHL icetime. His pace in Liiga has him on par with most quality 3rd line NHL'ers right now. You won't find a more NHL-ready forward in Edmonton's system right now. Put the biases aside and take the numbers for what they are.

Are you aware that Puljujarvi is like only a year older than Maksimov, right? He's not a 25 year-old burnout as a lot of people on this site like to project him as.
    CD282 liked this.
    Feb. 6, 2020 at 10:07 p.m.
    Brace for the Storm
    Puljujarvi has a higher ceiling AND a higher floor than Maksimov. He's also seen NHL icetime. His pace in Liiga has him on par with most quality 3rd line NHL'ers right now. You won't find a more NHL-ready forward in Edmonton's system right now. Put the biases aside and take the numbers for what they are.

Are you aware that Puljujarvi is like only a year older than Maksimov, right? He's not a 25 year-old burnout as a lot of people on this site like to project him as.

Puljujarvi hasn't done anything on the north american ice tho... he has to prove that he's capable of playing well on a smaller rink
    Feb. 6, 2020 at 10:08 p.m.

It has zero to do with RNH or Draisaitl being hockey players and Manning being a goon on skates: why should any team be obligated to pay for a guy (that can barely play at an AHL level to begin with) when he's done nothing over his career but damage the NHL brand? He's intentionally hurt players and dipped into racism. If the NHL's serious about expanding their brand, every team should be allowed to nuke a contract if a player crosses those lines. There's no place for it in society, so why go out of your way to make room for it in the NHL?

Well I totally agree, but it sets a presidence, you do one, you do all. that is why I think the oilers are doing the right thing.
    Feb. 6, 2020 at 10:13 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Well I totally agree, but it sets a presidence, you do one, you do all. that is why I think the oilers are doing the right thing.

The Kings gave Richards the boot because he had a drug problem. Notice how more players are taking advantage of the NHLPA's substance abuse program now compared to a decade ago? Turns out, there's consequences to being a piece of sh*t in the NHL.

I'd be thrilled if it was my team that got to set the standard. A hardline stance on racism is needed in about every facet of life these days. It's not free speech, it's garbage. There's no room for hate.

Puljujarvi hasn't done anything on the north american ice tho... he has to prove that he's capable of playing well on a smaller rink

If you'd kindly notice how anyone on the Flames has managed to not produce when stapled to Milan Lucic, you might find yourself a few more strides closer to reality. The second Puljujarvi was able to get away from him, his shot rates and on-ice metrics skyrocketed. Damn the kid for not having a shooting percentage if you must, but he's absolutely warranted a second look at a chance in the NHL. Montreal would be a great place for him given the quantity of Finns in the organization AND that they'd be a rebuilding franchise with a reason to give him the icetime he should be used in.
    Feb. 6, 2020 at 10:13 p.m.

As my stats man @CD282 said Puljujarvi posted 0.72 P/GP in the AHL as an 18-year-old.
    Zadina posted 0.59 P/GP in the AHL as a 19-year-old.
    Athanasiou posted 0.58 p/GP in the AHL as a 20-year-old.
    Mantha posted 0.53 P/GP in the AHL as a 20-year-old.
    Bertuzzi posted 0.42 P/GP in the AHL as a 20-year-old.
    Veleno is posting 0.37 P/GP in the AHL as a 20-year-old right now.
    Feb. 6, 2020 at 10:20 p.m.

It's not enough for the some fact Tatar has another year left, Habs would like to ice a team as well next season, which is why if Holland calls Bergiven it's Nurse or don't bother, now 12 months from now if Edmonton happens to stumble into the playoffs and Habs are on the outside a B prospect and a couple 2nds get it down
    Feb. 6, 2020 at 10:22 p.m.
    As my stats man @CD282 said Puljujarvi posted 0.72 P/GP in the AHL as an 18-year-old.

And Jeremy Bracco has been a point per game player in back to back seasons so hand over your 1st and he's yours
    Feb. 6, 2020 at 10:24 p.m.
    Quoting: Boomer125
    And Jeremy Bracco has been a point per game player in back to back seasons so hand over your 1st and he's yours

Bracco does not score which translates to stay the &*&* in the AHL forever.
    Feb. 7, 2020 at 3:57 a.m.
    Columbus needs centers, so they probably decline.
    Feb. 7, 2020 at 4:26 a.m.
    Edited Feb. 7, 2020 at 5:19 a.m.
    I'm not sure where you pulled your value for a Tatar trade, but recent trade deadlines point to a 1st being fair value in trades for rentals of Tatar's caliber (better and worse forwards have been the main piece of deals with a 1st as the main part of the return, but he is in the upper half of that group of players), and Puljujarvi at this point doesn't buy the extra year plus sending a cap dump, along with recieving a 3rd.
    Drop the 3rd from MTL, and add a 3rd in 2022 that becomes a 2nd in EDM wins a playoff round with Tatar playing 50% of playoff games or Tatar resigns. That works out to a 1st to rent Tatar for this playoff run plus a cap dump, and then Puljujarvi (and if his trade value was more than a 2nd I think he would have been dealt by now) along with at most a 2nd the extra season of Tatar. That's an incredible good deal for EDM and probably barely enough for MTL to bother to keep negotiating with EDM, but it's a good lowball initial offer from EDM. Considering what it would cost for let's say Kreider this season, and then either needing to make another trade or find a UFA to sign to fill that role in the offseason Tatar won't by a cheap acquisition.
    Feb. 7, 2020 at 4:40 a.m.
    Molson beer is meh

Tatar has 51pts in 56games and signed next season..... if someone like Kreider, 35pts in 50games and who's a UFA in a few months, is rumored to get a 1st and a good prospect (something close to the Kevin Hayes trade from last year), Tatar holds way more value.

The only person with a phenomenally weak take here is you...
    Feb. 7, 2020 at 7:36 a.m.

I don't think there's provision in the CBA for terminating a player contract due to racism. I imagine they've looked into it, don't you think? In any case, Manning is a UFA this summer and off the books entirely; at this point he's buried in the AHL and I wouldn't be surprised if they just HS'd him for the rest of the season. The Oilers would literally only save about $360k in cap space if they terminated the contract anyhow, so there isn't any reason to do it from that perspective either.

Whatever you think of the player, there's no reason to risk a penalty on next year's cap just to remove his name from the 50-man 5 months early.
    Copenhagen liked this.
    Feb. 7, 2020 at 7:46 a.m.
    As my stats man @CD282 said
    Puljujarvi posted 0.72 P/GP in the AHL as an 18-year-old.

Quoting: Boomer125

Nylander posted 0.86 P/GP in the AHL as an 18-year-old.
    Puljujarvi posted 0.72 P/GP in the AHL as an 18-year-old.
    Bracco posted 0.64 P/GP in the AHL as a 20-year-old (he turned 21 towards the end of the season).

Can you spot the anomaly?
    Copenhagen liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll