Forums/Armchair-GM

2020-21 after Draft Day

Created by: Billy739
Team: 2020-21 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 6, 2020
Published: Feb. 7, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Kotkanemi needs to spend the year in Laval to develop into an all around Center who can jump right to top 6. He had a year and a half now its time to give the guys that were behind him in the depth chart last year a shot . (worked out with Suzuki )

Poehling at 3rd line Center between our 2nd most consistent wing pairing seems like it could work out and i'm hoping they can help him grow .

Evans i've liked for a while and no that his concussion issues seem to be behind him i think its time to give him an honest shot at taking Thompsons role . Between Byron and Glendenning he's got 2 solid mentors with speed who despite their size can hit with the best of them (it just doesnt hurt as much as a Thompson hit)

Worst case Scenario Kotkanemi succeeds in Laval to the point we have to call him up
MTL can at this point make a decision between moving Danault or Tatar to create space.
we dont have the cap to keep both anyways if we plan on keeping Gallagher , Armia and Petry who IMO are our must sign UFA's . i love Danault and Tatar but their value is at a career high and it will never get any higher where as Gallagher's Priceless , Armia still has potential to grow as a goal scorer and Petry is our anchor on Special teams and a big minute blue line player we need to absorb Webers minutes as he gets older .

MTL enters the 2020 draft in their back yard with the 5 OA and 10th OA picks . (we could grab Perfetti and Rossi if we're lucky or Drysdale and Askarov if we're smart )
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
3$950,000
7$4,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$3,500,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Mahura, Josh
  2. 2020 1st round pick (ANA)
Additional Details:
At Draft ANA trades its #5 OA pick for Domi's RFA rights and #41 OA pick in 2020 .
ANA
  1. Domi, Max [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
if Stepan can get #6 OA and D'angelo from ARZ
then MTL ask is reasonable and using similar pick and similar type prospect.
MTL
  1. Schneider, Cory ($1,375,000 retained)
Additional Details:
equal cap and term
best case scenario one or both succeed with new teams
worst case scenario they get a new AHL club
NJD
  1. Alzner, Karl
Additional Details:
no harm and slim chance of success is better then 0% chance by doing nothing
MTL
  1. Miller, Colin
Additional Details:
former Claude Julien guy being brought in with hopes he can play as a 3rd pair RD with modest minutes and buy Fleury time to develop fully . (best case he plays real well and we let Seattle take him , worst case he sucks and takes kulaks #7 D role . )
BUF
  1. Juulsen, Noah [RFA Rights]
  2. 2021 3rd round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
honestly at his cap i think even this is overpaying .
like MTL has on their side BUF gamble is if Juulsen gets healthy again or not after a puck to the eye . (i think he will but i've been wrong before with Bozon)

other options are Hudon or G,Olofsson
basically players being pushed out of MTL by the crop of junior players who turned 20 and cant play junior in 2020-21 .
MTL
  1. Glendening, Luke
Additional Details:
Good Center/Winger who helps mentor the guys jumping to the NHL . like Shaw he's best utilized besides a young Center with holes in their faceoff game .
DET
  1. Fonstad, Cole [Reserve List]
  2. 2020 4th round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
potential to be a Byron at best or a Cousins at worst.
he's got a knack for hanging around in the OZ about 5-7 feet from the net and create's a lot of scoring chances .
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$70,878,809$0$1,275,000$10,621,191
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
UFA
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 6
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$3,875,000$3,875,000
RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
-$675,000-$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 7, 2020 at 12:11 a.m.
Banned
Pretty good article! The only exception is the fonstad trade. We can get a guy like glendening on the market on july 1st. There no need to trade a guy like fonstad who is a left winger and we don’t have much depth in our system at that position. Gorniak have regress in a major way this year. And harvey pinard is more a grinder type. Fonstad have great playmaking abilities, good vision and skate well enough to compete at a higher level
GMs and Billy739 liked this.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 12:49 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Sebybbq
Pretty good article! The only exception is the fonstad trade. We can get a guy like glendening on the market on july 1st. There no need to trade a guy like fonstad who is a left winger and we don’t have much depth in our system at that position. Gorniak have regress in a major way this year. And harvey pinard is more a grinder type. Fonstad have great playmaking abilities, good vision and skate well enough to compete at a higher level

Quoting: Sebybbq

there is when we got 41 contracts in laval right now and another half dozen guys to old for junior like Harvey-Pinard ,Mcshane , Hillis ,ext

Fonstads good but i had to make a call between keeping him or cutting Vedejmo to make room and to be honest Vedejmo's the better all around player who like Lehkonen is the coaches favorite guy.

even if we had an ECHL i just dont see how it works out unless he goes oversea's to develop
this is the cost of drafting so many extra picks 3 years straight going on 4 .

we've had to cut players like Bradley ,Audette , Tyszka , Walford , ext .
had we had a ECHL system we coulda developed them there for AHL call up .

Fonstad's good but he'll take years to make into a bottom 6 player
not worth the investment given its basically our strongest point today with Drouin and Lehkonen here for years .
unless its an undisputed top LW prospect we got to consider we dont have the space to develop them (unless we send them oversea's )
Pharow liked this.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 12:57 a.m.
Like you said Glendening is a hard worker, he is comfortable playing RW, C, LW and he is one those guys who is always smiling and is a very positive person in general. I don't know how Yzerman values him but I think Fonstad alone would work.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 1:05 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Billy739
there is when we got 41 contracts in laval right now and another half dozen guys to old for junior like Harvey-Pinard ,Mcshane , Hillis ,ext

Fonstads good but i had to make a call between keeping him or cutting Vedejmo to make room and to be honest Vedejmo's the better all around player who like Lehkonen is the coaches favorite guy.

even if we had an ECHL i just dont see how it works out unless he goes oversea's to develop

not worth the investment given its basically our strongest point today with Drouin and Lehkonen here for years .
unless its an undisputed top LW prospect we got to consider we dont have the space to develop them (unless we send them oversea's )

Quoting: Billy739

Cam hillis and cole fonstad have another year of eligibility in junior hockey. I think montreal will let them dominate their respective league at 20 year old. There will be a lot of roster spot in 2022 open in laval. There no need to rush those young players in montreal. Maybe ikonen, ylonen and Olofsson will stay another year developing in europe. There at least 5 players with contract in ahl that won’t be retain. Gustav Olofsson andrew sturtz, antoine waked, matthew peca, phil varone. As for laurent dauphin and riley barber they might get extension but that five spot open for next year in laval.
Billy739 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll