Forums/Armchair-GM

Suzuki for Calder Run

Created by: Billy739
Team: 2019-20 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 7, 2020
Published: Feb. 7, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Since being moved to Center he's been heating up and currently sits 4th behind 2D and an injured forward .

MTL i've learned upon a little research hasnt had a Rookie of the Year winner since Ken Dryden to kick of the Decade of Decadence with cup after cup. For this reason i feel its important to invest in a Shadow for Suzuki to help protect him by going hit for hit with players instead of drawing penalties with fights . These players often have a skill set similar to Armia's we can take advantage of .

my 1st choice is Anderson from CBJ as he's the most affordable option who's a pending RFA we can set our own terms with .

my 2nd choice is Rousell because he's able to do it all like a swizz army knife and protects his team despite often giving up 3-5 inches in height to the guys he fights he's the only player in the NHL to battle Weber to not one but two draws .

3rd and probably the most obvious option is going to be Kreider which for many reasons makes no sense for MTL . i just dont see it being a fit . (then again i said that about Shaw)

I'm going with Anderson but if you have feedback on alternatives or who you'd perfer out of the 3 to play this role as Suzuki's Shadow , please post them below .

Also i realize playoffs are a long shot but that's not really the motivation here this year entirely.
Its to make history 50 years after our lad Rookie of the Year and HOF Legend Ken Dryden did .
Its to have something saying that this decade will be different for MTL's prospects and most important should give Suzuki a huge boost towards remaining a top 6 player .

If Kovalchuk and Anderson can create enough space for him to take the rookie race lead, i dont know what can .
Trades
CBJ
  1. Weal, Jordan
  2. 2020 2nd round pick (MTL)
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
Weal is a plug move out in this deal so MTL free's up 1.4m extra this summer to re-sign Domi, Anderson and Mete among others .
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$70,399,642$0$1,107,500$11,100,358
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$350,000$350,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 3
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,350,000$2,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 7
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$257,500$258K)
G
RFA - 3
$748,333$748,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 7, 2020 at 7:27 p.m.
Kulak-Petry
Scandella-Mete

Please.

It’s an overpayment IMO, 2nd rd pick Weal and a guy like J.Olofsson on the Reserve List and Former 2nd rd pick. We are logged at Center and he’s the odd man out
Feb. 7, 2020 at 7:40 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: GMs
Kulak-Petry
Scandella-Mete

Please.

It’s an overpayment IMO, 2nd rd pick Weal and a guy like J.Olofsson on the Reserve List and Former 2nd rd pick. We are logged at Center and he’s the odd man out

who's odd man out?

they sent down KK followed by Suzuki taking his place with 6 points in 5 games and a +3 while playing 18 minutes + on average .
we got to take advantage of this

No Kulak's a plug not a regular player and the coach doesnt trust him making him useless to us .
Mete got injured last year playing RD , he didnt miss a game but he went fast first into the boards when he turned his back to an opponent skating towards Mete who was gaining possession along the boards. Its one thing to play on your off side if you have size and muscle to battle or like Brodie and Ghost have an amazing back band but for Mete our only LD prospect worth a crap you're trying to kill him .

if anyone stick Kulak there , if he's injured its no loss to us
but if Mete is the fans will riot

i know its an overpayment but not by as much as you're gonna say .
he's having a down year after publicly saying he wanted out of CBJ
their coach is known as the biggest dick in the league and this wouldnt be the first player
to leave Torts system just to succeed elsewhere

Andresons an RFA who's still young so if shaw got two 2nds you gotta figure that means Anderson is especially if they're taking Weal who even Weise is producing as much as with more impact on our team .
Daredevil514 liked this.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 7:43 p.m.
Quoting: Billy739
who's odd man out?

they sent down KK followed by Suzuki taking his place with 6 points in 5 games and a +3 while playing 18 minutes + on average .

No Kulak's a plug not a regular player and the coach doesnt trust him making him useless to us .
Mete got injured last year playing RD , he didnt miss a game but he went fast first into the boards when he turned his back to an opponent skating towards Mete who was gaining possession along the boards. Its one thing to play on your off side if you have size and muscle to battle or like Brodie and Ghost have an amazing back band but for Mete our only LD prospect worth a crap you're trying to kill him .

their coach is known as the biggest dick in the league and this wouldnt be the first player

Andresons an RFA who's still young so if shaw got two 2nds you gotta figure that means Anderson is especially if they're taking Weal who even Weise is producing as much as with more impact on our team .

Just to get facts straight he never said he wanted out of cbj.
GMs liked this.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 7:43 p.m.
who's odd man out?

The odd man out I was saying is Jacob Olofsson, throw him with (1) 2nd round pick and Jordan Weal
Billy739 liked this.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 7:44 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: The_Cannon
Just to get facts straight he never said he wanted out of cbj.

let me clarify , media speculated that he did due to a grow rift between him and torterella .
usually these things are motivate by an agent reaching out or leaking a comment to get their phones ringing .
Feb. 7, 2020 at 7:47 p.m.
who's odd man out?

I really like Anderson too! I made a post not so long ago (wich was definitly an overpayment) but I think we need this guy! His skills set is everything we lack and it's maybe the best time to get him right now in term of value. Im skeptical tho about CBJ wanting to let him go since they are in playoff right now and he's part of the team identity + they don't have a lot of offensive depth. Anyway, judging by this year only it's an overpayment but judging by his hole career, I do it right now, doubt CBJ does tho!
Billy739 liked this.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 7:48 p.m.
Billy739
The odd man out I was saying is Jacob Olofsson, throw him with (1) 2nd round pick and Jordan Weal

he's you're classic 4th line Center and he's good at it making his name based on hits and faceoffs in Sweden which is why he's called upon so often internationally .

he's not a guy you want gone he's a Colton Scisson type you'd like to keep at a decent cap long term .

Ikonen like his brother is more hype then anything because although the skills there they cannot handle the more physical style of hockey on small ice .
if only they'd come over and pack on some muscle but i think like his brother if he comes over at all it will be a 1 year AHL stint at best .
GMs liked this.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 7:50 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Daredevil514
I really like Anderson too! I made a post not so long ago (wich was definitly an overpayment) but I think we need this guy! His skills set is everything we lack and it's maybe the best time to get him right now in term of value. Im skeptical tho about CBJ wanting to let him go since they are in playoff right now and he's part of the team identity + they don't have a lot of offensive depth. Anyway, judging by this year only it's an overpayment but judging by his hole career, I do it right now, doubt CBJ does tho!

i think you're right but come draft who knows where MTL and CBJ heads are at.
but that would kill the post so shhhhhh , let just pretend for Suzuki's Calder Trophy Hope's sake :P
Feb. 7, 2020 at 7:53 p.m.
he's you're classic 4th line Center and he's good at it making his name based on hits and faceoffs in Sweden which is why he's called upon so often internationally .

he's not a guy you want gone he's a Colton Scisson type you'd like to keep at a decent cap long term .

Ikonen like his brother is more hype then anything because although the skills there they cannot handle the more physical style of hockey on small ice .
if only they'd come over and pack on some muscle but i think like his brother if he comes over at all it will be a 1 year AHL stint at best .

True, J.Olofsson is a perfect 4th line center, 6’3 190 pounds at 19 yo, a better Jacob De La Rose
Billy739 liked this.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 7:55 p.m.
let me clarify , media speculated that he did due to a grow rift between him and torterella .
usually these things are motivate by an agent reaching out or leaking a comment to get their phones ringing .

To be fair that this was speculation due to his struggling performance and being demoted to the 4th line it had nothing to do with torts as far as The public was concerned. And it’s also a pipe dream for old school Canadian media (especially when referring to Toronto) and that was just what they needed to get the speculation going. As of recent weeks he’s been taken off most trade boards.
Billy739 liked this.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 8:45 p.m.
HABS FANS
I'd say cousins j.olofsson 2020 3rd and 2021 2nd
Feb. 7, 2020 at 10:21 p.m.
Quoting: GO_HABS_GO28
I'd say cousins j.olofsson 2020 3rd and 2021 2nd

That’s worse
Feb. 7, 2020 at 10:23 p.m.
Columbus would rather just have the picks but if we have to take Weal to that’s fine... he’d hopefully be claimed on waivers... Anderson never said he wanted out, it was his Jack off of an agent...

Also if Suzuki is to get into the Calder race it won’t be hard, winning it is a different story entirely. Makar or Q.Hughes is going to win the Calder unless both of them magically break their legs are are out for the remainder of the season.
Billy739 and Viqsi liked this.
Feb. 7, 2020 at 10:36 p.m.
HABS FANS
That’s worse

Cousins is better than weal no?
Feb. 7, 2020 at 10:41 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Ajp_18
Columbus would rather just have the picks but if we have to take Weal to that’s fine... he’d hopefully be claimed on waivers... Anderson never said he wanted out, it was his Jack off of an agent...

Also if Suzuki is to get into the Calder race it won’t be hard, winning it is a different story entirely. Makar or Q.Hughes is going to win the Calder unless both of them magically break their legs are are out for the remainder of the season.

i mean Olofsson was ahead of both for large stretches this season and got injured
beyond that they could win but Suzuki's climbed from double digit points behind them up the top 10 into 4th overall just 6 behind them .

the more he skates with Kovalchuk the hotter he gets.
7 points in the past 6 playing 4 of those exclusively with Kovy-Armia including 4/5 and the other 3 with Domi swapping in before they moved him back to Center .

but honestly we could give him a guy like Marcus Foligno and create space its just he's not a skill guy he's a blue collar goal scorer who's usually collecting garbage goals ,tip ins or rebounds.
i wanted more skill and speed but a tough hitter who's got almost triple Anderson's production will work to i just wanted skill over grit and RFA over UFA.

that said the only man to man handle Tom Wilson multiple times will work to
its always nice to have a guy who can drop the gloves and score goals its just to bad he's only got 1 year left before UFA when he'll be 30
the timing isnt the best and Anderson fits in better long term however a short term win is all i need realy
Feb. 7, 2020 at 10:45 p.m.
Billy739
Edited Feb. 7, 2020 at 10:54 p.m.
Quoting: GO_HABS_GO28
Cousins is better than weal no?

yeah and so is Weise who's produced at the same rate and made a bigger impact .

its why during injuries Weal's been scratched multiple times
as Suzuki rises , Weal loses his PP spot , his ice time and his usefulness
he was brought in to help with faceoffs from wing but the new rule changes boned him as he's responsible for 2 faceoff penalties this year and probably the habs Claude Julien hates the most as he's also caused a few of the double digit 'too many men ' penalties we've had this year .

Weal last year was solid
Weal this year is less usefull then Weise

Weal has 63 shots in 39 games for 9 points and a -8
Weise has 9 shots in 14 games for 4 points and a +/- of 0

Weise actually has Chemistry on his line designed much like BOS Merlot line of veterans young and old alike .
Cousins-Thompson-Weise have made scratching Weal something we think less on then we did scratching Peca or Hudon the last few years.(where are they, right no one wants them either )
Feb. 8, 2020 at 10:48 a.m.
mostly harmless
Quoting: Ajp_18

I'd honestly rather keep him than take two 2nds myself, even tho that's arguably fair. I'm just not interested in "fair" with Andy. smile

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll