Team: 2020-21 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 8, 2020
Published: Feb. 8, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Lessons learned:
People hate signing Taylor Hall
People don’t like Michael Amadio

This is more about setting up a sustainable roster that could add a free agent after extending Hughes and EP than making a splash.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,250,000
2$3,000,000
2$2,000,000
2$1,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$5,500,000
3$5,500,000
1$2,000,000
2$2,000,000
2$2,750,000
Trades
VAN
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (PHI)
  2. 2021 4th round pick (SJS)
SJS
  1. Beagle, Jay
  2. Demko, Thatcher
Additional Details:
Team isn’t important, but I doubt San Jose is on Beagle’s no trade list. Also, they need a goalie. The main thing is using Demko as a way to package Beagle’s contract. I’d rather a 3rd and 4th than one 2nd.
VAN
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (ANA)
ANA
  1. Baertschi, Sven
  2. Myers, Tyler
Additional Details:
See logic in previous trade.
VAN
  1. Rodrigues, Evan [RFA Rights]
BUF
  1. Benn, Jordie
Additional Details:
Your classic “players need a change of scenery” trade
WSH
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (VAN)
Additional Details:
Tanev is great but will get hurt. Jensen can play up the lineup. He’s also cheap enough that if a young d is ready for a full-time role, he could live in the press box or be moved in trade. #champagneproblems
Buyouts
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$81,326,878$1,700,000$4,000,000$173,122
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RW
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LW
UFA - 1
$4,125,000$4,125,000
C
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$4,375,000$4,375,000
RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$891,666$891,666 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
G
UFA - 6
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 8, 2020 at 4:49 p.m.
That sharks deal is done
Feb. 8, 2020 at 4:57 p.m.
Pop Pop
Do you really think they're actually looking into myers or is it you don't love him?
Feb. 8, 2020 at 5:03 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Yet another case of D man signed and already looking to trade him.

Poor Myers in this case.
oneX liked this.
Feb. 8, 2020 at 5:07 p.m.
Canucks
That Sharks trade is so bad for the Canucks.. wow.

"Tanev is great but will get hurt." Pretty much every Tanev injury has been blocking a shot aside from Getzlaf falling on his ankle with all of his body weight on a fluke play. He allows Hughes to play his style of game and with the team being better he isnt having to lay out in front of clappers as much anymore.
remowilliams liked this.
Feb. 8, 2020 at 7:15 p.m.
Quoting: Jfstompers
Do you really think they're actually looking into myers or is it you don't love him?

It’s me. I think management expect he will replace Stetcher or Tanev.

Quoting: Trickster
Yet another case of D man signed and already looking to trade him.

Poor Myers in this case.

Yeah it’s bad because as people I really like the guys I’m trying to get rid of.

Quoting: Tmclean64
That Sharks trade is so bad for the Canucks.. wow.

"Tanev is great but will get hurt." Pretty much every Tanev injury has been blocking a shot aside from Getzlaf falling on his ankle with all of his body weight on a fluke play. He allows Hughes to play his style of game and with the team being better he isnt having to lay out in front of clappers as much anymore.

Don’t look at me. Dumping a bad contract and getting a 2nd (or here, two picks) is about as good as I see it getting for Demko. The Canucks have minimal leverage with the expansion draft around the corner and the goalie trade market has changed in the past several seasons.

As for Tanev, he kills penalties; it’s only a matter of time.
Feb. 10, 2020 at 11:38 a.m.
Quoting: Butlrr
It’s me. I think management expect he will replace Stetcher or Tanev.

Yeah it’s bad because as people I really like the guys I’m trying to get rid of.

Don’t look at me. Dumping a bad contract and getting a 2nd (or here, two picks) is about as good as I see it getting for Demko. The Canucks have minimal leverage with the expansion draft around the corner and the goalie trade market has changed in the past several seasons.

As for Tanev, he kills penalties; it’s only a matter of time.

why would the canucks want to trade away a top PK centre(who ranks in the top 5 in faceoff %) and our goalie of the future for a 3rd and 4th . how does the expansion draft hurt us canucks only have 2 NMC's (1 forward and 1 dman) so they will be able to protect the ones they want(ep,bo,bb,miller,jv ferland w/nmc, ) and they still have another forward spot plus 2 d spots after Myers. these trades do not help the team get better . let leivo sign elsewhere if they don't trade him. they have hoglander ready to step in after this season(and podklozin next year) resign Markstrom without a NMC and protect the one you want to move forward at the draft and we are still in good shape.
Feb. 10, 2020 at 5:04 p.m.
Quoting: krms33
why would the canucks want to trade away a top PK centre(who ranks in the top 5 in faceoff %) and our goalie of the future for a 3rd and 4th . how does the expansion draft hurt us canucks only have 2 NMC's (1 forward and 1 dman) so they will be able to protect the ones they want(ep,bo,bb,miller,jv ferland w/nmc, ) and they still have another forward spot plus 2 d spots after Myers. these trades do not help the team get better . let leivo sign elsewhere if they don't trade him. they have hoglander ready to step in after this season(and podklozin next year) resign Markstrom without a NMC and protect the one you want to move forward at the draft and we are still in good shape.

I disagree with nearly all of this, obviously.

1. If Jay Beagle was an effective NHL player, he still makes 3 million a year to play on the fourth line (for two more seasons!), is 34 years old and is on a team with cap issues. It’s worse than that though. He is a poor even strength player. His line has been utterly destroyed since November. The biggest issue the team has right now is two defensively poor bottom six lines.

2. The Canucks can either protect Markstrom or Demko, not both. I doubt Markstrom signs without a NMC (why the heck would he?). If they sign Markstrom, it’s highly unlikely Demko isn’t claimed if he’s on the team.

3. Look at recent goalie trades for value. Demko for two picks and salary relief seems fair to me, but clearly we see Beagle differently.

4. Leivo is one of the few effective bottom six forwards the team has and got injured at the worst possible time in terms of maximizing his contract in free agency. He’s found money. In fact, I’d argue that (if he stayed healthy) he’s the sixth best forward on the roster today.

5. I’m going to assume you’ve followed the Canucks prior to 2017, but if you haven’t, having young players integrate seamlessly like Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes is the exception. To expect Hoglander to walk onto the roster and make a positive contribution (hell, even assuming he doesn’t go to Utica!) is beyond optimistic.

6. Think about how you would make the team better while keeping space for Hughes and EP’s second contracts without removing significant salary first. Gotta walk before you can run.
Feb. 10, 2020 at 6:33 p.m.
Quoting: Butlrr
I disagree with nearly all of this, obviously.

1. If Jay Beagle was an effective NHL player, he still makes 3 million a year to play on the fourth line (for two more seasons!), is 34 years old and is on a team with cap issues. It’s worse than that though. He is a poor even strength player. His line has been utterly destroyed since November. The biggest issue the team has right now is two defensively poor bottom six lines.

2. The Canucks can either protect Markstrom or Demko, not both. I doubt Markstrom signs without a NMC (why the heck would he?). If they sign Markstrom, it’s highly unlikely Demko isn’t claimed if he’s on the team.

3. Look at recent goalie trades for value. Demko for two picks and salary relief seems fair to me, but clearly we see Beagle differently.

4. Leivo is one of the few effective bottom six forwards the team has and got injured at the worst possible time in terms of maximizing his contract in free agency. He’s found money. In fact, I’d argue that (if he stayed healthy) he’s the sixth best forward on the roster today.

5. I’m going to assume you’ve followed the Canucks prior to 2017, but if you haven’t, having young players integrate seamlessly like Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes is the exception. To expect Hoglander to walk onto the roster and make a positive contribution (hell, even assuming he doesn’t go to Utica!) is beyond optimistic.

6. Think about how you would make the team better while keeping space for Hughes and EP’s second contracts without removing significant salary first. Gotta walk before you can run.

so you would rather resign a 30yo goalie and punt 24yo one for cap space and 3rd and 4th round picks no thanks. QH and EP need to be resigned next year and there is over 20m coming off the books at that point. then the following year there is another almost 15m coming off in time to resign BB. hoglander doesn't have to step in be like BB QH and EP have been the last 3 years they are deep enough that he can learn and he may play the up and down to Utica that Gaudette did as the roster isn't devoid of talent with out Leivo. there are young players on the cusp of the NHL roster and the vets give these players time to mature without ridiculous expectations put on them.
how do you figure Stetcher is going to sign for that cheap. he is probably traded at the draft to free up space on the blueline

as for watching the canucks prior to 2017 ive been watching them long enough to remember them going to the finals in 82/94 and 2011.

The Canucks are not going to make wholesale changes like this unless they are getting a major player back and none of these trades help
Feb. 10, 2020 at 9:47 p.m.
Quoting: krms33
so you would rather resign a 30yo goalie and punt 24yo one for cap space and 3rd and 4th round picks no thanks. QH and EP need to be resigned next year and there is over 20m coming off the books at that point. then the following year there is another almost 15m coming off in time to resign BB. hoglander doesn't have to step in be like BB QH and EP have been the last 3 years they are deep enough that he can learn and he may play the up and down to Utica that Gaudette did as the roster isn't devoid of talent with out Leivo. there are young players on the cusp of the NHL roster and the vets give these players time to mature without ridiculous expectations put on them.
how do you figure Stetcher is going to sign for that cheap. he is probably traded at the draft to free up space on the blueline

as for watching the canucks prior to 2017 ive been watching them long enough to remember them going to the finals in 82/94 and 2011.

The Canucks are not going to make wholesale changes like this unless they are getting a major player back and none of these trades help

Goalies are weird. I’m open to playing either but Markstrom has the team’s trust and has been more durable. Don’t get to keep both indefinitely and if you keep Demko you lose an opportunity at some assets. But fine, point taken.

The 20 million going to QH and EP is because the Canucks are losing a top 6 forward and top 4 D that will also need replacing, plus a raise to Demko if you make him the guy. The money isn’t there to add beyond the core, so expect less depth than more in 18 months unless one of Rafferty, Hoglander, Podkolzin, or other are an immediate home run.

The vets give the youth a chance to mature on a playoff bubble team.

I’m glad to be chatting with a longtime fan. In memoriam: Hunter Shinkaruk, Jordan Schroeder, Cody Hodgson, Fedor Fedorov, Anton Rodin, Sergei Shirokov, Patrick White, Niklas Jensen, I’m getting tired of typing this. The point is, the odds are against our top prospects and a survey of Canucks history should make that super apparent.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll