Forums/NHL Trades

(MIN/PIT) - Zucker for Galchenyuk, Addison, 2020 1st round pick

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 10, 2020 at 9:44 p.m.
Quoting: Chigurrhh
False.

In what terms is Zucker the better player right now? He's worse in all zones, on a worse contract. They aren't comparable.
Yojimbo liked this.
Feb. 10, 2020 at 9:45 p.m.
Quoting: Baphomet
Tatar is good but to say he is “twice the player” is major overkill and a very homer statement that most wont take seriously.

That's fine, but Tatar is twice the player.
Feb. 10, 2020 at 9:55 p.m.
Quoting: HabsForEver

Maybe not twice, but as a Wild fan that has watched Zucker play for years I can tell you Tatar is definitely better.
Feb. 10, 2020 at 9:57 p.m.
I felt like this was the value all along but others convinced me of less so I'm very glad to finally get some clarity on the speculated trade values.
JayTea and mondo liked this.
Feb. 10, 2020 at 10:13 p.m.
G O S I M E K

You’re so right. Gosh, how could I have overlooked Tatar. I forgot that when players put on the Habs crest that their value goes up 200%. Yet somehow only won one playoff round in the last five years. Must be an anomaly.
JayTea, hockeyfanatic05, Random2152 and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 10, 2020 at 10:15 p.m.
I actually voted Pittsburgh. Galchenyuk won’t re-sign and is having a bad year, Addison isn’t that much of a loss with Marino and Oliver Joseph on the rise, and the late first shouldn’t matter when they are in win now mode. Zucker is really good, he could do damage on a line with Crosby and Guentzel
Lord_Simek, A_K and OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 10, 2020 at 10:22 p.m.
G O S I M E K
Quoting: Blues4TheCup
I actually voted Pittsburgh. Galchenyuk won’t re-sign and is having a bad year, Addison isn’t that much of a loss with Marino and Oliver Joseph on the rise, and the late first shouldn’t matter when they are in win now mode. Zucker is really good, he could do damage on a line with Crosby and Guentzel

Yeah that line will be dangerous in the playoffs, if healthy of course.
Feb. 10, 2020 at 10:23 p.m.
14m in dead cap
Quoting: Blues4TheCup

People act like Pittsburgh couldn’t afford to do this. Both teams get what they need, hopefully Zucker gets a Cup.

But hopefully not until 2021 after the Pens go out in round 1 of the 2020 playoffs and the Wild get a pick around 20 or so. smile
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 10, 2020 at 10:37 p.m.
Nazaleaf
Feel like Galchenuyk is getting devalued hard. Should've been a 2nd rounder instead.
Feb. 10, 2020 at 10:47 p.m.
Quoting: thelastlongbow
Feel like Galchenuyk is getting devalued hard. Should've been a 2nd rounder instead.

Galchenyuk played 3 minutes in the Pens last game. He's essentially a healthy scratch right now, he has no value.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 10, 2020 at 10:55 p.m.
IG vincemark78
This package overall favors the Wild because they got a fantastic return for a Top 4 winger signed for three more seasons. It opens up their cap space and gives them 2 first round picks in a deep class. Guerin is a disciple of the Penguins management tree; he knows what he's getting in Addison.

Zucker is a good player and everything, but this type of a return is sizable and takes away the biggest piece (1st round pick) the Penguins had to add anybody else at the deadline.. Now I'm not opposed to this package entirely, although it was a lot, but the 1st round pick is also tough to lose this season in a deep draft when we already don't have our 2nd... First pick is end of the 3rd round? Not ideal in a good draft class.

Further, is 3 more years of Zucker worth it from a cap perspective? How will the Pens be signing all of McCann, Kahun, Lafferty, Simon, Shultz (lol), Riikola, Murray, AND Jarry? Probably will not be able to do that. In that regard I see this as a precursor to a potential move to add a D man where some of those RFAs will be included in the deal to make room. Either way it would be sweet to add a second round pick somehow... anyone want an old Bjugstad?! It'll probably still work once it's fixed!
Feb. 10, 2020 at 11:09 p.m.
You’re so right. Gosh, how could I have overlooked Tatar. I forgot that when players put on the Habs crest that their value goes up 200%. Yet somehow only won one playoff round in the last five years. Must be an anomaly.

So tell me, how is Zucker better?
Feb. 10, 2020 at 11:21 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Zucker might be well in Pittsburgh but betcha Minni liked getting 5.5m per year in cap space. Now Minni just has spend that missing cap wisely. Addison and the pick...just added benefits if they turn out to bee NHLers.
JayTea and OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 10, 2020 at 11:31 p.m.
torontos finest
1st and Addison are fair for Zucker. It'll be worth it if the Pens go deep this year.
Feb. 10, 2020 at 11:31 p.m.
torontos finest

Don't argue with him. All he does is pick fights and spam the thread.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 10, 2020 at 11:43 p.m.
this was a ridiculous level of overpay, Galchenyuk is worth probably a 4th or 5th, so its basically a 1st, 4th, and top prospect for a good but not great player who is signed for more than he is worth.

A 2nd plus a different prospect would have been fair.
Feb. 10, 2020 at 11:49 p.m.
I totally forgot the Wild were in the NHL until this trade.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 10, 2020 at 11:53 p.m.
G O S I M E K
So tell me, how is Zucker better?

I never said he was better, I said Tatar was not “twice the player”. Reading comprehension is taught early in grade school, you should revisit. Go ahead, I’ll wait.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 11, 2020 at 12:24 a.m.
MNBassman
Quoting: Random2152
Believe it or not, this is a fair deal. Jason Zucker is criminally underrated and will be fantastic in PIT. I know Addison is seen as being very good, but him and a 1st is basically the going rate for a player of Zucker's calibre.

Honestly thought the Wild were going to get much less (thanks in part to the fenton era). Good for them for getting fair value.

I’m sorry to burst your bubble, but Zucker is absolutely NOT an “all around player” - not even close! He is a mediocre defensive forward on his best day and lacks the hockey acumen to produce as much as he should. He is a terrific skater with a quick, hard, and very inaccurate shot. I have been describing him for years as the other team’s best puck moving defenseman because the vast majority of his shots miss high and wide and make a great breakout pass for the other team. What he is, though, is a bonafide and incontestable first class human being!!! There are very few better people anywhere, much less the NHL, better than him. Simply put, Pittsburgh is a better city now than it was only a few hours ago because of this trade!
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 11, 2020 at 12:34 a.m.
Majors and minors
Depends on Mr Zucker... his current season is above career average BUT 1st round pick and 2nd round right shooting D Man who the last time I looked had 203 points in 238 WHL games. Galchenyuk is having crappy season.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 11, 2020 at 12:44 a.m.
This deal is very good for MIN, but they should've started the rebuild last summer. They can still contend for a WC spot during the rebuild, but that Zuccarello contract was brutal.
OldNYIfan and MNBassman liked this.
Feb. 11, 2020 at 12:48 a.m.
Clearly the Pens see themselves as Cup contenders now, and they should. The term remaining on Zuckerberg's contract was a strong selling point. He's been pretty consistent. I think both teams win this trade. Actually a great trade for both teams.
Feb. 11, 2020 at 1:13 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
That's a crazy price to pay.
Feb. 11, 2020 at 2:29 a.m.
PIT easily wins this trade today.

Zucker is easily good for 20+ goals for the next 3 seasons, plus whatever he brings this year. Playing with Crosby/Malkin has potential to surpass 30. Not many guys like that in the league, and for $5.5mm per?

MIN could possibly win this trade, but there are a lot of ifs involved. If Addison works out. If the 1st round pick works out 4-5 years from now. If they use the pick in a package for someone.

Galchenyuk is just a throwaway UFA.
Addison is wait-and-see with it being more likely than not that he never pans out to much.
1st round pick is 4-5 years away from contributing and is likely in the 24-31 range, which has about a 25% chance of ever amounting to anything.

MIN got ammo. PIT got better. I'll take the bonafide player that is cost controlled every day of the week.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 11, 2020 at 3:47 a.m.
This is how trade deadline works - the Penguins had to pay more, because they had to overpay other offers.
Good trade for Minnesota.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit