Forums/Armchair-GM

Carolina Fans -- My Thoughts in Description

Created by: PuckLuck_77
Team: 2019-20 Los Angeles Kings
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 12, 2020
Published: Feb. 12, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Apparently Carolina is willing to shop one of their first round picks for a defenseman with term. I don't think there is a better value top-4 defenseman on the market than Martinez, especially if the Kings are willing to retain salary on him.

From the Kings side, they are taking on salary from Edmundson to make the deal work for Carolina. The Canes send the lower of the 1st round picks and a forward prospect with potential, but not listed as one of their top 10 guys in the system.

Carolina fans, what do you think? You get Martinez, a top-4 shot-blocking phenom with playoff experience, the "clutch" factor (2 series-winning goals in 2014), and the connection to Justin Williams for $2mil this year and next. Also what is essentially a late 2nd round pick, and $1.1mil cap space to possibly look for another forward option at the deadline. I tried to make this as reasonable as possible, from an admittedly biased perspective.
Trades
LAK
  1. Edmundson, Joel
  2. Tieksola, Tuukka [Reserve List]
  3. 2020 1st round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
Conditional 1st: It is the "worse" of the two picks Carolina has.
CAR
  1. Martinez, Alec ($2,000,000 retained)
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (LAK)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Recapture Fees
Termination Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$71,450,114$0$1,832,500$10,049,886
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$2,425,000$2,425,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$2,636,364$2,636,364
RW, C
UFA - 3
$4,600,000$4,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
RFA - 2
$759,167$759,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,893,750$1,893,750
LD
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 8
$2,900,000$2,900,000
G
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$858,333$858,333
G
UFA - 3
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$3,100,000$3,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$745,000$745,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 12, 2020 at 10:32 a.m.
MArtinez isn't exactly a fit. His underlying numbers aren't great, and his one major issue is his legs are starting to go. With skaters like Foegele, Necas, Aho, Teravaineen, Svechnikov, Dzingel who just skate around guys, Martinez isn't gonna be able to keep up. Personally, I'd rather target someone like DeMelo, and extend him, although I think the value is fair
Feb. 12, 2020 at 10:38 a.m.
Quoting: Caniac2000
MArtinez isn't exactly a fit. His underlying numbers aren't great, and his one major issue is his legs are starting to go. With skaters like Foegele, Necas, Aho, Teravaineen, Svechnikov, Dzingel who just skate around guys, Martinez isn't gonna be able to keep up. Personally, I'd rather target someone like DeMelo, and extend him, although I think the value is fair

I think "underlying numbers" have to be taken with a grain of salt when looking at anyone on the LA roster. Pretty much everyone has done better away from the team, key examples being Pearson and Kovalchuk. Granted, those aren't defenseman, but Muzzin has done pretty well for Toronto, being their one stable defender. I disagree with saying his legs are starting to go. As someone who has watched nearly every Kings game for the past 10 years, his legs are close to the same as they've always been. He's never been a burner, but he's smart with the puck in his own zone, makes a good first outlet pass, and can keep up with the play. He would also be a great PK'er, and could sub in on PP2 when needed. It certainly would be an adjustment for him moving to a faster team, but I think he could do it.

I hope you wouldn't have to give up a 1st for DeMelo!!

Thanks for the feedback.
OldNYIfan and thilk liked this.
Feb. 12, 2020 at 10:57 a.m.
tony d took a knee
i dont mind martinez but that's an overpay. one of the bigger insiders said that his value is around a second so sending a good prospect and a first is a overpay
Feb. 12, 2020 at 11:02 a.m.
Quoting: nbass
i dont mind martinez but that's an overpay. one of the bigger insiders said that his value is around a second so sending a good prospect and a first is a overpay

You're a little outdated on your value estimation on Martinez. From the Athletic's Craig Custance yesterday:

" 3. Alec Martinez, Los Angeles Kings – There are a bunch of teams looking for defensemen – Carolina, Vegas, Toronto, Winnipeg – and Martinez is an attractive option. He’s playoff experienced. He’s reasonably priced. He’s a left-shot who can play on the right side. He has a year left.
What gets it done? One source suggested it may not include a first, but the Kings could expect two seconds and a prospect in a possible package. There’s not a lot of supply on the top-four defenseman market.
“There are probably at least eight teams going for a defenseman,” said an executive. “How many are out there? There’s going to be teams left without one.” "

That's the basis of where I started for this. With retention, taking back salary, and sending the LAK pick the other way, I upped the two second round picks to a 1st, which I thought was fair. Tieksola is ranked #15 on Scott Wheeler's list of Carolina prospects. It's not like I'm asking for Dominik Bokk.

But either way, thanks for your feedback.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 12, 2020 at 11:19 a.m.
tony d took a knee
Quoting: PuckLuck_77
You're a little outdated on your value estimation on Martinez. From the Athletic's Craig Custance yesterday:

" 3. Alec Martinez, Los Angeles Kings – There are a bunch of teams looking for defensemen – Carolina, Vegas, Toronto, Winnipeg – and Martinez is an attractive option. He’s playoff experienced. He’s reasonably priced. He’s a left-shot who can play on the right side. He has a year left.
What gets it done? One source suggested it may not include a first, but the Kings could expect two seconds and a prospect in a possible package. There’s not a lot of supply on the top-four defenseman market.
“There are probably at least eight teams going for a defenseman,” said an executive. “How many are out there? There’s going to be teams left without one.” "

That's the basis of where I started for this. With retention, taking back salary, and sending the LAK pick the other way, I upped the two second round picks to a 1st, which I thought was fair. Tieksola is ranked #15 on Scott Wheeler's list of Carolina prospects. It's not like I'm asking for Dominik Bokk.

i don't think that the canes would ship out a first in a deep class (especially since one of the picks will be in the lottery) and tieksola, who should be a little higher on the list but due to the amount of solid prospects isn't. Personally, the prospect would be someone like clark bishop, anton forsberg, or maybe oliwer kaski. All players that could be on a roster with kaski having good potential as a puck moving d-man

but what do I know
Feb. 12, 2020 at 11:30 a.m.
Quoting: nbass
i don't think that the canes would ship out a first in a deep class (especially since one of the picks will be in the lottery) and tieksola, who should be a little higher on the list but due to the amount of solid prospects isn't. Personally, the prospect would be someone like clark bishop, anton forsberg, or maybe oliwer kaski. All players that could be on a roster with kaski having good potential as a puck moving d-man

but what do I know

It's being reported today that Carolina is shopping that extra 1st rounder though, just fyi. Hmm. You think one of Toronto or Carolina misses? It seems to me like they have a pretty solid shot to both be in it, but it'll certainly come down to the wire. Either way, that's why I said "worse". There's no way they get rid of a lottery pick, you're absolutely right.

One of the most fun times of the season!
OldNYIfan and RandyLahey liked this.
Feb. 12, 2020 at 12:21 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
My take is, since the Carolina guys seem to be miffed about the first, let's make them happy and take the 2020 second from the Rangers and their 2021 second. And then give them our 2020 fourth instead of the third.
PuckLuck_77 and RandyLahey liked this.
Feb. 12, 2020 at 12:34 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
My take is, since the Carolina guys seem to be miffed about the first, let's make them happy and take the 2020 second from the Rangers and their 2021 second. And then give them our 2020 fourth instead of the third.

I'd be interested in something like that. The whole point of retaining, taking on salary, and sending a pick the other way is to upgrade into the first round. If the asking price is already two 2nds and a prospect, I'd settle for the two picks you mentioned and not sending one back the other way. I'd even be tempted to take some of the retention away, like $1mil instead of $2mil, to make it an even salary swap.
RandyLahey liked this.
Feb. 12, 2020 at 3:02 p.m.
Banned
I think "underlying numbers" have to be taken with a grain of salt when looking at anyone on the LA roster. Pretty much everyone has done better away from the team, key examples being Pearson and Kovalchuk. Granted, those aren't defenseman, but Muzzin has done pretty well for Toronto, being their one stable defender. I disagree with saying his legs are starting to go. As someone who has watched nearly every Kings game for the past 10 years, his legs are close to the same as they've always been. He's never been a burner, but he's smart with the puck in his own zone, makes a good first outlet pass, and can keep up with the play. He would also be a great PK'er, and could sub in on PP2 when needed. It certainly would be an adjustment for him moving to a faster team, but I think he could do it.

I hope you wouldn't have to give up a 1st for DeMelo!!

Thanks for the feedback.

Considering the Kings have been very bad for quite sometime now, you might be able to add McNabb to that list of examples. Well said👍
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 12, 2020 at 3:06 p.m.
Banned

You also have to take into account that because there are so many teams looking at Martinez, he will go to the highest bidder. A team could consider sending a 1st if they are that desperate for a solid defenseman. Cough cough Capitals😬
OldNYIfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll