Forums/Armchair-GM

What if we got number 2 overall

Created by: Kyle_Davidson
Team: 2020-21 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 13, 2020
Published: Feb. 13, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
to win the lottery (again) and be primed to draft assumed 2nd overall pick, Quinton Byfield? He is a big boy, a lot like Kirby, and could be NHL ready out of the draft. I wonder if Hatter would have a stroke, because this would prime us with 2 big bodied, not exactly fast centers for the considerable future.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$5,000,000
3$4,100,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$7,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Byfield, Quinton
3$925,000
Trades
CHI
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (MIN)
NSH
  1. Määttä, Olli
Additional Details:
Anywhere for a pick
CHI
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (COL)
FLA
  1. Caggiula, Drake [RFA Rights]
CHI
  1. 2021 3rd round pick (VAN)
VAN
  1. Koekkoek, Slater [RFA Rights]
CHI
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (CHI)
MTL
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (MIN)
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (COL)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,000,000$73,500,372$1,090,244$4,200,000$9,499,628
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,400,000$6,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 2
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Byfield, Quinton
$925,000$925,000
$4,100,000$4,100,000
C
UFA - 2
$880,833$880,833
LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
G
UFA - 5
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
RD
RFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 13, 2020 at 2:29 p.m.
exo2769
Hahaha, Oh @HatterTParty This would be your nightmare. Although Dach's not nearly as slow as people say. He's outpaced tons of defenders for breakaways this year. I'm 100% A-OK with Byfield. Having too many #1C's have NEVER been an issue in the NHL. Stutzle deserves a look too. Maybe Strome gets traded if he doesn't take a fair or at least prove it contract???
Feb. 13, 2020 at 2:30 p.m.
The Hatter bit. 😂😂
Feb. 13, 2020 at 2:43 p.m.
thanks for Joki

-sabres fans
Feb. 13, 2020 at 2:46 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Quoting: asauer1122
thanks for Joki

-sabres fans

Make the playoffs
-Everyone in the NHL sick of the Sabers sh*t
Feb. 13, 2020 at 3:17 p.m.
The league is clearly biased in favor of large-market teams, so unless they rig the lottery in favor of Toronto, Montreal, and/or New York (assuming they all miss the playoffs), then I think Chicago getting another top 3 spot is a likely possibility.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 3:25 p.m.
I think Byfield is a little bit different from Dach because from what Ive read, it seems like Byfield plays a speed based game rather than a hands based game, but yeah, I think if we got Byfield then Strome definitely gets traded
Feb. 13, 2020 at 3:55 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Stan_Bowman
Make the playoffs
-Everyone in the NHL sick of the Sabers sh*t

Why do some sabres fans run their mouth like their team has any success?
Jco5ta5 liked this.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 4:25 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Quoting: hockeyfanatic05
Why do some sabres fans run their mouth like their team has any success?

It’s weird that they mention the Joki trade, like it helped them in any significant way this season. They should be more worried about their teams continued failure then trying to troll another fan base about a trade they *might* have won. It’s strange.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 4:34 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769
Hahaha, Oh @HatterTParty This would be your nightmare. Although Dach's not nearly as slow as people say. He's outpaced tons of defenders for breakaways this year. I'm 100% A-OK with Byfield. Having too many #1C's have NEVER been an issue in the NHL. Stutzle deserves a look too. Maybe Strome gets traded if he doesn't take a fair or at least prove it contract???

Quoting: Weezley
The Hatter bit. 😂😂

Alright, time for me to screw with expectations here.

Off the bat, I LOVE Byfield. Full stop, absolutely love him. He scores consistently, had a decent showing at world juniors, and is far more like a scheifele or draisital (who, remember, I like). He can score goals, pass well, comes filled out already, and has dominated at his age group already. Key phrase there is he dominated his age group. Also, this guy is an actual winner.

If the hawks took byram or turcotte last year, I’d be rooting for a tank just to get byfield! I thought it was absolutely idiotic to take a center(*cough* or winger *cough*) in Dach when you saw what was available this year. Granted, bowman had the idea that the team would be better, it was a stupid thought, but still. That being said, this all comes back to Dach being a short term fix instead of going for what matures later with a higher ceiling.

That being said, yes, if we took byfield after taking Dach, it would only make me more furious about having Dach. I’d love byfield though. He has more to him and has the experience of winning at his age group, as opposed to Dach, who again, hasn’t won a thing.

Oh btw, are we really trying to argue that the hawks might have won that buffalo trade? Come on guys, we know bowman made botterill look like a genius, and that’s really something.
RichardAvs and exo2769 liked this.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 4:36 p.m.
Banned
It’s weird that they mention the Joki trade, like it helped them in any significant way this season. They should be more worried about their teams continued failure then trying to troll another fan base about a trade they *might* have won. It’s strange.

I still find it funny how they were justifying the Skinner signing and thinking he was going to bring them to the playoffs. $9 mill for a guy with 11 goals and 19 points. But yeah, they definitely should be criticizing other teams
Feb. 13, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Avs
I dunno if I would trade a bag of gummy worms for Slater Koekkoek tbh
Feb. 13, 2020 at 10:02 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: RichardAvs
I dunno if I would trade a bag of gummy worms for Slater Koekkoek tbh

He’s been a serviceable bottom pairing D. Nothing special but serviceable for a team looking for depth.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 10:03 p.m.
Hawks Fan
I’m concerned about the Kubalik contract. It’ll either be really good, or really bad.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 10:23 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Quoting: HatterTParty
Alright, time for me to screw with expectations here.

Off the bat, I LOVE Byfield. Full stop, absolutely love him. He scores consistently, had a decent showing at world juniors, and is far more like a scheifele or draisital (who, remember, I like). He can score goals, pass well, comes filled out already, and has dominated at his age group already. Key phrase there is he dominated his age group. Also, this guy is an actual winner.

If the hawks took byram or turcotte last year, I’d be rooting for a tank just to get byfield! I thought it was absolutely idiotic to take a center(*cough* or winger *cough*) in Dach when you saw what was available this year. Granted, bowman had the idea that the team would be better, it was a stupid thought, but still. That being said, this all comes back to Dach being a short term fix instead of going for what matures later with a higher ceiling.

That being said, yes, if we took byfield after taking Dach, it would only make me more furious about having Dach. I’d love byfield though. He has more to him and has the experience of winning at his age group, as opposed to Dach, who again, hasn’t won a thing.

Oh btw, are we really trying to argue that the hawks might have won that buffalo trade? Come on guys, we know bowman made botterill look like a genius, and that’s really something.

Nylander could still become something, contrary to popular belief.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 11:41 p.m.
Nylander could still become something, contrary to popular belief.

Man, god bless you let optimism Stan.
Feb. 14, 2020 at 9:20 a.m.
exo2769
Edited Feb. 14, 2020 at 9:26 a.m.
Man, god bless you let optimism Stan.

I'm certainly not defending the Joki trade. I will however defend Bowman's moves in general over the past year or so. FOR SURE. 1 bad move doesn't negate the MANY good moves he's made. Kubalik for a 5th was a better positive trade than Joki/Nylander was as a bad trade. 5th rounders RARELY produce 22 goals in their rookie year...and the season isn't over.
Feb. 14, 2020 at 4:27 p.m.
I'm certainly not defending the Joki trade. I will however defend Bowman's moves in general over the past year or so. FOR SURE. 1 bad move doesn't negate the MANY good moves he's made. Kubalik for a 5th was a better positive trade than Joki/Nylander was as a bad trade. 5th rounders RARELY produce 22 goals in their rookie year...and the season isn't over.

Ya see, this is beginning to get very bothersome. For every **** move bowman makes, there will be those who make excuses for him. I however, I will not give him that pass, not after 3 years of this. He may have been at the helm for 3 cups, but it’s a “what have you done for me lately” kind of league. Nuff said.

Bowman has been responsible for trading leddy, danault, teravainen, panarin, hjalmarsson, jokiharju, and even kahun was solid. He has signed **** contracts with seabrook, bickell, and honestly to an extent, toews and Keith. He even gave 3 picks for Shaw!!!!

But kubalik alone makes it okay? This team is essentially in purgatory because of the deals and moves this guy has made. There’s no need to make excuses for him anymore. He even fired Q for a problem bowman himself created! Just fire bowman and his fall guy Colliton and just hit reset. This team doesn’t have a long term future given the way they’ve handled team affairs and approached drafting and roster moves.
Feb. 14, 2020 at 6:26 p.m.
exo2769
Edited Feb. 14, 2020 at 6:35 p.m.
Ya see, this is beginning to get very bothersome. For every **** move bowman makes, there will be those who make excuses for him. I however, I will not give him that pass, not after 3 years of this. He may have been at the helm for 3 cups, but it’s a “what have you done for me lately” kind of league. Nuff said.

Bowman has been responsible for trading leddy, danault, teravainen, panarin, hjalmarsson, jokiharju, and even kahun was solid. He has signed **** contracts with seabrook, bickell, and honestly to an extent, toews and Keith. He even gave 3 picks for Shaw!!!!

But kubalik alone makes it okay? This team is essentially in purgatory because of the deals and moves this guy has made. There’s no need to make excuses for him anymore. He even fired Q for a problem bowman himself created! Just fire bowman and his fall guy Colliton and just hit reset. This team doesn’t have a long term future given the way they’ve handled team affairs and approached drafting and roster moves.

I defend the Leddy and Hjalmarsson trades 100%. Go look at the Murphy Hammer deltas since the trade. Murphy wins in just about every single one. I'm being 100% serious. Panarin is debatable. 1 year of a stud or 3 years of a cost controlled Saad. I can see the debate there. The Hawks couldn't resign Panarin...thus SOME TYPE of trade was going to happen. Whether this trade was the best one available is the question. It's not like he's scored ANY goals for CBJ this year...so I tend to be ok with it.

Kubalik alone? That's a little insulting to Bowman. What do you think about Lehner? He sucks. What do you think about 0 games for either Forlsing or Forsberg? Yeah DeHaan Sucks too. What do you think about Carpenter... He suck too? How about getting Kahun for literally Nothing? Bad move? nope. Was the Kahun for Maata a bad move...I'd actually say NO. Kahun isn't changing this team. The combo of DeHaan and Maata might have. I'm 1,000% ok with that trade. Don't forget that Kahun's bonuses are crazy too for next year. Heck, what about ZSmith?! Our historic terrible PK last year is top 10 this year AND for a lower cap hit. AA isn't doing JACK for OTT. He's made GREAT moves this year. Not good. GREAT.

***EDIT*** Joki is the only trade out of your examples that I'm really upset with. That's it. I get Danault. He wasn't doing much in CHI and Stan was trying to win the cup. Turbo was beyond 3 years, but IF we're going beyond 3 years. I'll 1,000% school you more! Who actually got Panarin for literally nothing??? Yeah...so I'm not trying to be an A-hole, but this time I'll admit it. If you get 61 goals and 91 assists for literally nothing...You should win GM of the year automatically.
Feb. 14, 2020 at 7:02 p.m.
I defend the Leddy and Hjalmarsson trades 100%. Go look at the Murphy Hammer deltas since the trade. Murphy wins in just about every single one. I'm being 100% serious. Panarin is debatable. 1 year of a stud or 3 years of a cost controlled Saad. I can see the debate there. The Hawks couldn't resign Panarin...thus SOME TYPE of trade was going to happen. Whether this trade was the best one available is the question. It's not like he's scored ANY goals for CBJ this year...so I tend to be ok with it.

Kubalik alone? That's a little insulting to Bowman. What do you think about Lehner? He sucks. What do you think about 0 games for either Forlsing or Forsberg? Yeah DeHaan Sucks too. What do you think about Carpenter... He suck too? How about getting Kahun for literally Nothing? Bad move? nope. Was the Kahun for Maata a bad move...I'd actually say NO. Kahun isn't changing this team. The combo of DeHaan and Maata might have. I'm 1,000% ok with that trade. Don't forget that Kahun's bonuses are crazy too for next year. Heck, what about ZSmith?! Our historic terrible PK last year is top 10 this year AND for a lower cap hit. AA isn't doing JACK for OTT. He's made GREAT moves this year. Not good. GREAT.

***EDIT*** Joki is the only trade out of your examples that I'm really upset with. That's it. I get Danault. He wasn't doing much in CHI and Stan was trying to win the cup. Turbo was beyond 3 years, but IF we're going beyond 3 years. I'll 1,000% school you more! Who actually got Panarin for literally nothing??? Yeah...so I'm not trying to be an A-hole, but this time I'll admit it. If you get 61 goals and 91 assists for literally nothing...You should win GM of the year automatically.

First and foremost, this will 100% be a subjective discussion. FOREVER. I don’t care if the moves he made this offseason, on paper, they should have panned out fine. However, they didn’t. De haan was acquired with him knowing full well he had one arm essentially. Shaw was just bad, price wise. Maatta was okay. Anisimov actually has more points than Smith this year but whatever.

That’s just this offseason. How bout summer 2018? We were cash strapped, couldn’t sign anyone? So the answer was to get manning and Kunitz, amongst others. I’m not outright insulting those moves, but i am saying it’s pathetic to blame the inevitable poor play on Q. Hall of Fame coach? Or GM who filled holes around a core he didn’t create? I’ll take the freakin coach on his way to the hall of fame.

How bout the 2017 offseason? Best record in the west, but hey, let’s gut the team cuz WEEEEEE. Later hammer, you’re going to Arizona for a guy who hasn’t reached his potential yet and is constantly injured. Still won’t say we’ve won that yet, but it’s getting closer. Even better, some say we should trade Murphy!! Panarin for Saad? Decent two way player vs. boarderline elite. Decent two way player vs. boarderline elite? Decent two way player vs. boarderline elite??? You had two years to figure out how to fit panarin, not 1! You build around panarin. I mean Jesus you got him for free, great job man! Then you ditched him for two bad years of Saad followed by a decent year this year. So no, panarin and Saad isn’t debatable. Not even close.

Again, this is a “what have you done for me lately” kind of league. I don’t give a **** what moves he made this offseason that APPEAR useful. The moves hasn’t put us in the playoffs, NUFF SAID! Getting 61 goals and 91 assists for free doesn’t get you **** when you throw it away because you can’t fix the cap structure YOU MADE!!! Oh, I almost forgot, only a real moron could make Jason botterill look smart. Plus, leddy was traded for 2 career ahlers.

If we are lucky though, he might be around to trade Dach, boqvist, and beaudin. That’s his niche right? Trading first rounders? Exo you can keep schooling as many people as you want, but the team hasn’t made the playoffs in three years, so what’s the problem? Bowman? Colliton? Toews, Kane, and seabrook for their bloated contracts that BOWMAN signed them to?

BTW: you should seriously call him to see if he needs a new agent. Cuz this boarderline blind loyalty.
exo2769 liked this.
Feb. 14, 2020 at 7:04 p.m.
exo2769
First and foremost, this will 100% be a subjective discussion. FOREVER. I don’t care if the moves he made this offseason, on paper, they should have panned out fine. However, they didn’t. De haan was acquired with him knowing full well he had one arm essentially. Shaw was just bad, price wise. Maatta was okay. Anisimov actually has more points than Smith this year but whatever.

That’s just this offseason. How bout summer 2018? We were cash strapped, couldn’t sign anyone? So the answer was to get manning and Kunitz, amongst others. I’m not outright insulting those moves, but i am saying it’s pathetic to blame the inevitable poor play on Q. Hall of Fame coach? Or GM who filled holes around a core he didn’t create? I’ll take the freakin coach on his way to the hall of fame.

How bout the 2017 offseason? Best record in the west, but hey, let’s gut the team cuz WEEEEEE. Later hammer, you’re going to Arizona for a guy who hasn’t reached his potential yet and is constantly injured. Still won’t say we’ve won that yet, but it’s getting closer. Even better, some say we should trade Murphy!! Panarin for Saad? Decent two way player vs. boarderline elite. Decent two way player vs. boarderline elite? Decent two way player vs. boarderline elite??? You had two years to figure out how to fit panarin, not 1! You build around panarin. I mean Jesus you got him for free, great job man! Then you ditched him for two bad years of Saad followed by a decent year this year. So no, panarin and Saad isn’t debatable. Not even close.

Again, this is a “what have you done for me lately” kind of league. I don’t give a **** what moves he made this offseason that APPEAR useful. The moves hasn’t put us in the playoffs, NUFF SAID! Getting 61 goals and 91 assists for free doesn’t get you **** when you throw it away because you can’t fix the cap structure YOU MADE!!! Oh, I almost forgot, only a real moron could make Jason botterill look smart. Plus, leddy was traded for 2 career ahlers.

If we are lucky though, he might be around to trade Dach, boqvist, and beaudin. That’s his niche right? Trading first rounders? Exo you can keep schooling as many people as you want, but the team hasn’t made the playoffs in three years, so what’s the problem? Bowman? Colliton? Toews, Kane, and seabrook for their bloated contracts that BOWMAN signed them to?

BTW: you should seriously call him to see if he needs a new agent. Cuz this boarderline blind loyalty.

I just saw subjective and said I agree.... now let me read the rest.
Feb. 14, 2020 at 7:16 p.m.
exo2769
Edited Feb. 14, 2020 at 7:22 p.m.
I just saw subjective and said I agree.... now let me read the rest.

@HatterTParty The biggest part of the post i disagree with is the premise of...what have you done for me now. The cap wasn't 100% his fault. but I would agree 90% his fault. You brought up Danault and Leddy and Turbo initially. It seems like the argument is changes because...sorry...your arguments doesn't actuallyt factor in what happened RECENTLY. It goes WAY back. Now clearly you're a knowledgeable fan. I hope NO ONE argues with that. I ALSO agree that Bowmans previous BIGGEST ACHILLIES HEEL was signing his own players for too much. Bickell, Seabs, Panik, etc... You're 100% correct on that. No disagreement here. I do however think he's fixed that problem...and HOPE he will stay judicious. Gus for $1.2M are you going to argue with 75 points for 2.4M???...if Gus never scores another point I'd say a win. Lots of good signings. Lehner, Carpy, Kahun Kampy Rutta Panik blah blah blah.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll