Forums/Armchair-GM

Is Manson to WSH possible

Created by: Jah1722
Team: 2020-21 Anaheim Ducks
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 13, 2020
Published: Feb. 13, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
There’s been some talk of WSH wanting/needing to improve the RD. I would love Vrana but obviously Vrana is worth more than just Manson and WSH wouldn’t move him at the deadline. Idk know much about WSH prospects but is there a package that they could put together that might work at the deadline? Or in the offseason when Gudas is UFA could Jones/Ritchie/Kase and Manson be enough for Vrana?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
1$1,200,000
1$1,000,000
3$2,200,000
2$1,200,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,200,000
1$1,200,000
5$4,500,000
5$1,000,000
Trades
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$67,313,833$0$0$16,186,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$2,463,139$2,463,139
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$8,250,000$8,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$3,350,000$3,350,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,456,250$1,456,250
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW
UFA - 3
$820,000$820,000
LW
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 3
$1,133,333$1,133,333
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$6,400,000$6,400,000
G
UFA - 7
$2,602,778$2,602,778
LD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
$2,200,000$2,200,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 13, 2020 at 3:08 p.m.
KFTW
Only if its a 3 way deal or a redirect and he ends up in Toronto
Feb. 13, 2020 at 3:09 p.m.
Jah1722
Quoting: csick

Based on this site, yeah Manson can only be traded to TOR.
csick liked this.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 3:09 p.m.
I dont think a package based around Manson will get you Vrana. If i was the Caps GM that would be a non starter
Feb. 13, 2020 at 3:11 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: moli92
I dont think a package based around Manson will get you Vrana. If i was the Caps GM that would be a non starter

They wouldn't even part with McMichael lol. And Anaheim wouldn't need Alexeyev or Johansen, so I dont see a deal happening
Feb. 13, 2020 at 3:17 p.m.
Quoting: csick

Quoting: Jah1722
Based on this site, yeah Manson can only be traded to TOR.

Based on the proposal I see here Manson only has super high value and only requires a top RHD prospect plus a 1st and Ducks have no use for another middle 6 winger if it's a TO proposal, but have 0 problem trading him to Washington for a #6 F and an RFA LHD while they also add a middle 6 winger with top 6 potential to get the # 6 LW
Feb. 13, 2020 at 3:17 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Vrana would be a no-go. There are other options to improve the defense that don't include giving up our best value contract. I understand why other teams want him, and the pure value isn't tremendously far off (I'm trying to put my Caps bias and love for Vrana aside).
mytduxfan liked this.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 3:26 p.m.
Jah1722
Quoting: krakowitz
Vrana would be a no-go. There are other options to improve the defense that don't include giving up our best value contract. I understand why other teams want him, and the pure value isn't tremendously far off (I'm trying to put my Caps bias and love for Vrana aside).

That’s fair. Doesn’t have to be for Vrana. I just don’t know enough about WSH prospects. McMichael seems to be the best they have but not sure how high his value is tho his numbers look pretty good.
Lenny7 liked this.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 3:30 p.m.
Jah1722
Quoting: Boomer125
Based on the proposal I see here Manson only has super high value and only requires a top RHD prospect plus a 1st and Ducks have no use for another middle 6 winger if it's a TO proposal, but have 0 problem trading him to Washington for a #6 F and an RFA LHD while they also add a middle 6 winger with top 6 potential to get the # 6 LW

Well if Vrana is a #6 fwd then kapanen and johnsson aren’t even middle 6 guys.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 3:36 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
That’s fair. Doesn’t have to be for Vrana. I just don’t know enough about WSH prospects. McMichael seems to be the best they have but not sure how high his value is tho his numbers look pretty good.

McMichael is a tough guy for me to get a read on. His numbers in both the OHL and at the WJC are terrific, so he's clearly a producer. Plus he stuck around in training camp longer than anyone expected, and maybe would have had a nine-game trial if Kuzy was suspended for longer. But every time I watch him, I feel like I want more out of him. He doesn't appear to be driving play a ton and controlling the puck in the offensive zone super frequently, and his two-way play needs some work. I definitely see him more as a middle-six winger right now, but I can see the potential for a center. Just a guy I find tough to get a solid read on.

Our system as a whole is very thin, so there's not a lot to go after. Out of all the guys to go, I'd be okay with moving guys like Lucas Johansen and Kody Clarke, but there isn't a ton of upside with either. I don't really see a trade for us where a prospect can be the main piece, but the system is so thin that it hurts to trade away first and second round draft picks. Tough spot to be in.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 3:39 p.m.
Jah1722
Quoting: krakowitz
McMichael is a tough guy for me to get a read on. His numbers in both the OHL and at the WJC are terrific, so he's clearly a producer. Plus he stuck around in training camp longer than anyone expected, and maybe would have had a nine-game trial if Kuzy was suspended for longer. But every time I watch him, I feel like I want more out of him. He doesn't appear to be driving play a ton and controlling the puck in the offensive zone super frequently, and his two-way play needs some work. I definitely see him more as a middle-six winger right now, but I can see the potential for a center. Just a guy I find tough to get a solid read on.

Our system as a whole is very thin, so there's not a lot to go after. Out of all the guys to go, I'd be okay with moving guys like Lucas Johansen and Kody Clarke, but there isn't a ton of upside with either. I don't really see a trade for us where a prospect can be the main piece, but the system is so thin that it hurts to trade away first and second round draft picks. Tough spot to be in.

I see WSH being much like PIT and being all in for the next few seasons. Most of their roster is older in hockey terms. Looks like they’ll both try to keep this current window open as long as possible and then be in a deep rebuild as both have thin systems and PIT already trading their 2020 1st.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 3:40 p.m.
Well if Vrana is a #6 fwd then kapanen and johnsson aren’t even middle 6 guys.

Relax I never said either of them are Vrana , I merely pointed out that none of the Ducks needs have been addressed in this trade, do you really think Vrana has the same type of production he is having this season in Washington in Anaheim playing with Henrique and Kase or Getzlaf and Silfverberg?
All I'm saying is Anaheim could keep Max Jones (who is top 6 potential) take a Kapenen or Johnsson (Kap is the better player) both are capable of top 6 production along with the general proposed scraps and really be further ahead
Feb. 13, 2020 at 3:49 p.m.
Jah1722
Relax I never said either of them are Vrana , I merely pointed out that none of the Ducks needs have been addressed in this trade, do you really think Vrana has the same type of production he is having this season in Washington in Anaheim playing with Henrique and Kase or Getzlaf and Silfverberg?
All I'm saying is Anaheim could keep Max Jones (who is top 6 potential) take a Kapenen or Johnsson (Kap is the better player) both are capable of top 6 production along with the general proposed scraps and really be further ahead

The same can be said for kapanen and johnsson, can you expect them to produce against tougher matchups? Rather take the guy with better numbers consistently playing in the top 6 than either of the 3rd liners who could be 2nd liners but have produced far less.
mytduxfan liked this.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 3:58 p.m.
I don't think there is a deal to be had for Manson with WSH.

Quoting: moli92

If only for the fact they need him for their playoff push. No point in filling one hole to open up another, especially for a team looking to go all the way again. However, IMO, Manson absolutely has the value to pick-up a winger of Vrana's level. I just don't see why WSH would make that trade on multiple levels, nor do I think it makes sense for ANA.

I wouldn't trade Manson for Jakub Vrana. Leaves us with a huge hole at RD and fills a hole we don't have. We really don't need more LWs with Rakell, Comtois, Ritchie, Jones all playing that side, not to mention Henrique can play LW and Brayden Tracey is a LW. Also, not all ANA fans view Manson in the same light. Jah1722, in particular, has been very down on Manson based on his play this year. He may value him a lot lower than some or even most ANA fans.

But for the record, Vrana > Liljegren + 1st. Kids already had a 24 goal season and is on pace to improve to 30+ this season. He's only 23, so hasn't even entered his prime years and is on a juicy contract for another season after this one. Liljegren is a nice prospect, but is still a risky prospect + mystery box in a 1st. I'd take the young, proven asset over the two higher risk assets any day of the week. TOR fans seem to think that picks and prospects will always pan out and should be valued as if they were sure things. That's the issue here.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 4:02 p.m.

Yeah, Vrana is a strong player driver, unlike AJ or KK. Both AJ's and KK's goal totals dropped this season. I'd be wary of bringing either of them into ANA under the impression they'd go back to being 20 goal scorers. I wouldn't have the same reservations with Vrana as he's proven be a 20+ goalscorer over multiple seasons.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 4:16 p.m.
Jah1722
Quoting: mytduxfan
I don't think there is a deal to be had for Manson with WSH.

If only for the fact they need him for their playoff push. No point in filling one hole to open up another, especially for a team looking to go all the way again. However, IMO, Manson absolutely has the value to pick-up a winger of Vrana's level. I just don't see why WSH would make that trade on multiple levels, nor do I think it makes sense for ANA.

I wouldn't trade Manson for Jakub Vrana. Leaves us with a huge hole at RD and fills a hole we don't have. We really don't need more LWs with Rakell, Comtois, Ritchie, Jones all playing that side, not to mention Henrique can play LW and Brayden Tracey is a LW. Also, not all ANA fans view Manson in the same light. Jah1722, in particular, has been very down on Manson based on his play this year. He may value him a lot lower than some or even most ANA fans.

But for the record, Vrana > Liljegren + 1st. Kids already had a 24 goal season and is on pace to improve to 30+ this season. He's only 23, so hasn't even entered his prime years and is on a juicy contract for another season after this one. Liljegren is a nice prospect, but is still a risky prospect + mystery box in a 1st. I'd take the young, proven asset over the two higher risk assets any day of the week. TOR fans seem to think that picks and prospects will always pan out and should be valued as if they were sure things. That's the issue here.

Show me the goal scoring from Jones, Ritchie, Comtois etc. Vrana fills the goal scoring need. Sometimes you have to move on from the players you’ve grown to like. Kase is one of my favorite players but if there’s a deal that brings back a top 3 D or a top 6 scorer you move him. I like Manson’s play style but if they could get Vrana for him I do it. 25 goals from a guy that fits the age of the current roster is a need of the ducks.

Moving Manson in the offseason makes some sense. There will be suitors for not only Manson but also more teams willing to move on from players that could either replace Manson or add the scoring the ducks need. Yes RD is a glaring need for the future but so is goal scoring. The ducks have continually been towards the bottom in goal scoring even when they were playing in the WCF.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 4:29 p.m.
As a Caps fan I'll tell you it would take a lot to get Vrana out of WSH. Young, cheap, and he's putting up elite numbers in the per 60 stat (last time I checked he was top 5 in 5v5 points and 5v5 goals). He should be playing at least 5 more minutes a night.
mytduxfan liked this.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 4:34 p.m.
Jah1722
Quoting: ClockReads2113
As a Caps fan I'll tell you it would take a lot to get Vrana out of WSH. Young, cheap, and he's putting up elite numbers in the per 60 stat (last time I checked he was top 5 in 5v5 points and 5v5 goals). He should be playing at least 5 more minutes a night.

And that’s fair. I thought Manson would be a good fit in WSH taking Gudas spot on the roster and moving Jensen to 3RD but idk if there really is a trade to be made. I’d guess the 2 main interests from a duck perspective would be Vrana and McMichael so maybe this wasn’t a perfect idea. But just a thought.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 4:55 p.m.
Show me the goal scoring from Jones, Ritchie, Comtois etc. Vrana fills the goal scoring need. Sometimes you have to move on from the players you’ve grown to like. Kase is one of my favorite players but if there’s a deal that brings back a top 3 D or a top 6 scorer you move him. I like Manson’s play style but if they could get Vrana for him I do it. 25 goals from a guy that fits the age of the current roster is a need of the ducks.

Jones is 21 years old man and Comtois was only 20 years old to start the season. Give them time. In Vrana's 20-21 year old season he only posted 6 pts in 21 games and spent the rest in the AHL. Comtois is well ahead of him in that sense (small sample size). In fact, Comtois 20-21 year old season was pacing (31 pts in 82 games) closer to Vrana's 21-22 year old season (27 pts in 78 games). IMO, Comtois has very high potential. I think he could be a 1st line W. He's got the frame, the skill and the skating, but just needs time to get up to the speed of the NHL. With that said, we've got Rakell and Comtois as legit top 6ers for the foreseeable future, so I don't see Vrana being a need. I admit that Ritchie isn't a significant contributor, at least in terms of scoring, and Jones doesn't look like he'll be one either, but Comtois absolutely has that upside.

If we're looking to upgrade at W, its the RW we should be improving. Silf would be better suited as a 2nd line W, Kase has injury-concerns, and I think there are some significant question marks over Terry, certainly more than at the beginning of the season. Again, Terry needs more time before we write him off and start looking for an upgrade at RW, but he's certainly more of a concern for me than Comtois.

IMO, our focus should be improving RD. I think trading Kase for a 2-way RHD with a powerful point shot would be very good for us. It's just finding the right deal.

Moving Manson in the offseason makes some sense. There will be suitors for not only Manson but also more teams willing to move on from players that could either replace Manson or add the scoring the ducks need. Yes RD is a glaring need for the future but so is goal scoring. The ducks have continually been towards the bottom in goal scoring even when they were playing in the WCF.

And who replaces Manson? There is no point in adding more scorers only to give up more goals because you've got a weak D. That's basically TOR and EDM in a nutshell. Pass on being either of those teams. D wins championships. You need to be more patient with our youth players. And even if you don't believe in them, it's far easier to draft top line or even elite forwards with high draft picks than it is to find good D-men and they take far less to become impact players. I'd opt for keeping our D intact and building out the forwards through the draft. Give ourselves at least one more season of Lindholm, Fowler, Manson and Gudbranson before we decide on who to keep and who to move ahead of the Seattle draft.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 5:13 p.m.
Jah1722
Jones is 21 years old man and Comtois was only 20 years old to start the season. Give them time. In Vrana's 20-21 year old season he only posted 6 pts in 21 games and spent the rest in the AHL. Comtois is well ahead of him in that sense (small sample size). In fact, Comtois 20-21 year old season was pacing (31 pts in 82 games) closer to Vrana's 21-22 year old season (27 pts in 78 games). IMO, Comtois has very high potential. I think he could be a 1st line W. He's got the frame, the skill and the skating, but just needs time to get up to the speed of the NHL. With that said, we've got Rakell and Comtois as legit top 6ers for the foreseeable future, so I don't see Vrana being a need. I admit that Ritchie isn't a significant contributor, at least in terms of scoring, and Jones doesn't look like he'll be one either, but Comtois absolutely has that upside.

If we're looking to upgrade at W, its the RW we should be improving. Silf would be better suited as a 2nd line W, Kase has injury-concerns, and I think there are some significant question marks over Terry, certainly more than at the beginning of the season. Again, Terry needs more time before we write him off and start looking for an upgrade at RW, but he's certainly more of a concern for me than Comtois.

IMO, our focus should be improving RD. I think trading Kase for a 2-way RHD with a powerful point shot would be very good for us. It's just finding the right deal.

And who replaces Manson? There is no point in adding more scorers only to give up more goals because you've got a weak D. That's basically TOR and EDM in a nutshell. Pass on being either of those teams. D wins championships. You need to be more patient with our youth players. And even if you don't believe in them, it's far easier to draft top line or even elite forwards with high draft picks than it is to find good D-men and they take far less to become impact players. I'd opt for keeping our D intact and building out the forwards through the draft. Give ourselves at least one more season of Lindholm, Fowler, Manson and Gudbranson before we decide on who to keep and who to move ahead of the Seattle draft.

You compared Comtois to Vrana while I have Comtois in the ducks line up for next season. Vrana immediately upgrades this team. A true top 6 scorer. He’s what you’re hoping Jones or Comtois turn into. Replacing Jones with what you hope he becomes isn’t a horrible idea. Takes out the risk.

As for the D, if you don’t find any scoring it doesn’t matter how good the D is. And FYI it’s been bottom 3rd in the league. You wait to add scoring you push Lindholm, the most important player to ANA besides Gibson, 1 year closer to UFA. They have to take a step next season to being competitive if the want to keep Lindholm and/or Manson. They already took relative discounts. They’ll either be looking to get paid or to win. Have to show that the ducks are close. There’s also a decent amount of replacements available in UFA and the ducks have the cap space to go after Pietrangelo if he’s interested.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 5:25 p.m.
You compared Comtois to Vrana while I have Comtois in the ducks line up for next season. Vrana immediately upgrades this team. A true top 6 scorer. He’s what you’re hoping Jones or Comtois turn into. Replacing Jones with what you hope he becomes isn’t a horrible idea. Takes out the risk.

Vrana upgrades the offence and is a big upgrade on Jones and Comtois, but we take a hit on D. I know you've replaced Manson with Demelo, but he's a downgrade for me and that's assuming he even signs here. I'd be ecstatic if Comtois turned out to be as good as Vrana. Let's wait and see.

As for the D, if you don’t find any scoring it doesn’t matter how good the D is. And FYI it’s been bottom 3rd in the league. You wait to add scoring you push Lindholm, the most important player to ANA besides Gibson, 1 year closer to UFA. They have to take a step next season to being competitive if the want to keep Lindholm and/or Manson. They already took relative discounts. They’ll either be looking to get paid or to win. Have to show that the ducks are close. There’s also a decent amount of replacements available in UFA and the ducks have the cap space to go after Pietrangelo if he’s interested.

I don't know why you're so concerned about losing players. Everyone loves it in ANA. Seriously, when was the last time we lost a big name player to the UFA market? Kariya to COL?

If signing Pietrangelo is an option, I'd go for it and move Manson or Gudbranson for an upgrade a forward. I just don't think ANA is the team to make such a big splash in the UFA market and why would Pietrangelo even come to ANA? He's got a good life in STL.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 6:27 p.m.
Jah1722
Vrana upgrades the offence and is a big upgrade on Jones and Comtois, but we take a hit on D. I know you've replaced Manson with Demelo, but he's a downgrade for me and that's assuming he even signs here. I'd be ecstatic if Comtois turned out to be as good as Vrana. Let's wait and see.

I don't know why you're so concerned about losing players. Everyone loves it in ANA. Seriously, when was the last time we lost a big name player to the UFA market? Kariya to COL?

If signing Pietrangelo is an option, I'd go for it and move Manson or Gudbranson for an upgrade a forward. I just don't think ANA is the team to make such a big splash in the UFA market and why would Pietrangelo even come to ANA? He's got a good life in STL.

This is all based on assumptions. Every AGM is an assumption or hopeful thinking. I made the moves I did and replaced Manson with a quality 2RD and upgraded 3RD massively. I added young goal scoring and downgraded RD minimally but also got younger.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 7:08 p.m.
This is all based on assumptions. Every AGM is an assumption or hopeful thinking. I made the moves I did and replaced Manson with a quality 2RD and upgraded 3RD massively. I added young goal scoring and downgraded RD minimally but also got younger.

Fair enough. Still don't see the motivation from WSH's perspective. If they're looking to add Manson for a deep playoff push, they'd definitely want to keep Vrana and would be looking to offload futures.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 7:47 p.m.
Jah1722
Fair enough. Still don't see the motivation from WSH's perspective. If they're looking to add Manson for a deep playoff push, they'd definitely want to keep Vrana and would be looking to offload futures.

I know. Stated that in the description
Feb. 13, 2020 at 9:05 p.m.
And that’s fair. I thought Manson would be a good fit in WSH taking Gudas spot on the roster and moving Jensen to 3RD but idk if there really is a trade to be made. I’d guess the 2 main interests from a duck perspective would be Vrana and McMichael so maybe this wasn’t a perfect idea. But just a thought.

No I feel ya, it does make sense. But I believe I heard a ANA fan say your strong suit is LHD and that's also our strong suit, so don't know if we can make a trade.
Feb. 15, 2020 at 12:55 a.m.
id do weegar for ritchie in a heartbeat

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll