SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Muzzin has been extended according to TSN

Feb. 13, 2020 at 6:46 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
According to TSN it sounds like Muzzin's extension is basically done and that will be announced by the deadline (waiting for tagging rules and whatnot)

What do we expect the contract to look like?
I am thinking something in the realm of 3@6

Feb. 13, 2020 at 8:25 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Random2152
According to TSN it sounds like Muzzin's extension is basically done and that will be announced by the deadline (waiting for tagging rules and whatnot)

What do we expect the contract to look like?
I am thinking something in the realm of 3@6

God I hope not.
Muzzin is too old and slow, please dont extend.
Leaf_fan_74 liked this.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 8:39 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Trickster
God I hope not.
Muzzin is too old and slow, please dont extend.

He is our best dman and it isn't close. As long as they get 2-3 years it should be fine. If it's any longer the aav better be a large discount.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 8:49 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
He is our best dman and it isn't close. As long as they get 2-3 years it should be fine. If it's any longer the aav better be a large discount.

I disagree.
Sign someone younger and more mobile
Leaf_fan_74 liked this.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 8:57 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Trickster
I disagree.
Sign someone younger and more mobile

What could you possibly be disagreeing about. It is a fact that he is out best dman. It isn't even close. He is 30, so as long as we only get 2, maybe 3 years his skating shouldn't fall off enough to be an issue.

And exactly who is this younger guy that the leafs can just sign so easily?
Feb. 13, 2020 at 9:31 p.m.
What could you possibly be disagreeing about. It is a fact that he is out best dman. It isn't even close. He is 30, so as long as we only get 2, maybe 3 years his skating shouldn't fall off enough to be an issue.

I watch just about every game and I feel at times he struggles to keep with the speed of the game. While I feel for now, that's okay, the fear I have is beginning next season that concern is going to grow slightly bigger. I don't want to think of the season after...

6 million AAV hurts.
Leaf_fan_74 liked this.
Feb. 13, 2020 at 9:37 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: oneX
I watch just about every game and I feel at times he struggles to keep with the speed of the game. While I feel for now, that's okay, the fear I have is beginning next season that concern is going to grow slightly bigger. I don't want to think of the season after...

6 million AAV hurts.

I'd rather give a bit on the aav to keep that term down. I'd like 2 ideally, but I think the compromise might be 3. If it is any longer I expect a large discount because I agree that if his skating falls of much from where it is, he will rapidly decline.
oneX liked this.
Feb. 14, 2020 at 9:36 a.m.
torontos finest
So the left side would be Rielly-Muzzin-Sandin. Wonder what this means for Dermott.
Feb. 14, 2020 at 11:45 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: mondo
So the left side would be Rielly-Muzzin-Sandin. Wonder what this means for Dermott.

Either a switch to Rd or he is being shopped along with Kap, mango, and Kerfy for a rhd
Feb. 16, 2020 at 3:08 p.m.
Prepare for MORE
Next year, You have Rielly, Holl & Marincin under contracts. You need both offence and shut down defenceman. On the left side Rielly can do both, Sandin has the offensive talent and needs to work on the defensive side of his game. Marincin is the spare part. So you need the shut down guy Dermott couldn't do it when muzzin was hurt and hasnt showed much as of yet. On the right side you have Holl who can play the shut down roll, Lilegren like Sandin is young and has the offensive talent and needs to work on the defensive side. They still need a RHD that can do both like Reilly.
Feb. 16, 2020 at 5:28 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Supposedly in the 5.5m x 4 realm. Which I’m actually okay with.
Feb. 17, 2020 at 12:13 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Dave_LFFE
Next year, You have Rielly, Holl & Marincin under contracts. You need both offence and shut down defenceman. On the left side Rielly can do both, Sandin has the offensive talent and needs to work on the defensive side of his game. Marincin is the spare part. So you need the shut down guy Dermott couldn't do it when muzzin was hurt and hasnt showed much as of yet. On the right side you have Holl who can play the shut down roll, Lilegren like Sandin is young and has the offensive talent and needs to work on the defensive side. They still need a RHD that can do both like Reilly.

Rielly is terrible defensively.
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 17, 2020 at 12:30 a.m.
Campbe11
Just speculation at this point! But, No F'n way he is worth 6mil... nope not a chance in Hell. Dubis isn't that stupid!
Feb. 17, 2020 at 12:37 a.m.
Campbe11

That's the problem, isn't it?
Feb. 17, 2020 at 12:42 a.m.
Campbe11

I prefer to see it this way... He's offensively minded. If you give him a reliable stay at home right shooting partner he's an Allstar. Paul Coffey was a **** defender too, but also was a Hall-of-Famer because he didn't need to play defence so much. Reilly needs an A. Larsson type partner. NOT DUMBA!
Feb. 17, 2020 at 3:12 a.m.
Quoting: Leaf_fan_74
That's the problem, isn't it?

Yep it's a problem if the term is 2 years too long or AAV is too high. Yes he's the best Leafs got as defensive shutdown guy...but the team needs another, younger version of him too make this D core more steady than it's shown so far.
Leaf_fan_74 and Trickster liked this.
Feb. 18, 2020 at 9:58 p.m.

He's not that bad. He's average defensively. Just more focus on his mistakes because he's a star.
Feb. 18, 2020 at 10:05 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
He's not that bad. He's average defensively. Just more focus on his mistakes because he's a star.

No he really isn't.
ERG2qh1WsAQX10A?format=png&name=small
Gards for example:
ERG2qhpWoAAhmDI?format=jpg&name=small
Feb. 18, 2020 at 11:09 p.m.
Campbe11
No he really isn't.
ERG2qh1WsAQX10A?format=png&name=small
Gards for example:
ERG2qhpWoAAhmDI?format=jpg&name=small

OK, @Random2152 I'm not saying this to brag, albeit, I have studied statistics at a graduate level (7000). That's said I have no idea what you've posted here.

First, I thought we were talking about Muzzin, yet I see charts for three other players' not named Muzzin.
Next, it is customary that when you present a chart you must also present a title that explains what the chart represents.

Could you help me understand what you're trying to say with these graphics?
Feb. 18, 2020 at 11:13 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
OK, @Random2152 I'm not saying this to brag, albeit, I have studied statistics at a graduate level (7000). That's said I have no idea what you've posted here.

First, I thought we were talking about Muzzin, yet I see charts for three other players' not named Muzzin.
Next, it is customary that when you present a chart you must also present a title that explains what the chart represents.

Could you help me understand what you're trying to say with these graphics?

Were talking about Rielly in this instance. He was saying Rielly was fine defensively while I contend he very much is not.

These are rapm charts. Basically it measures how good a player is in a catagory relative to an average player (y axis is SD) and runs the numbers through a regression model.

Tldr, Rielly is good offensively, bad defensively.

And they aren't my charts, so the title isn't exactly something I can control
Feb. 18, 2020 at 11:50 p.m.
Campbe11
Were talking about Rielly in this instance. He was saying Rielly was fine defensively while I contend he very much is not.

These are rapm charts. Basically it measures how good a player is in a catagory relative to an average player (y axis is SD) and runs the numbers through a regression model.

Tldr, Rielly is good offensively, bad defensively.

And they aren't my charts, so the title isn't exactly something I can control

Thank you for that. I agree with you about Reilly not being great defensively using an eye test since I don't have the data to analyze! However, I do think he is a great offensive defenseman!

As I stated, I have taken many courses in statistical analysis and the first rule of thumb is the statistical-results must be able to withstand scrutiny. It's impossible to quantify the reliability of any analysis without transparency of the process; for that matter, statistics can be falsely generated to support anything and frankly most don't understand enough to know the difference. Fact is Stats/Data Analysis is one of the most hated/fear courses in the university. The interpretation of said analysis should also be scrutinized and if this site you are copying these graphics from isn't providing that information, can any of it be trusted? I think not. Additionally, using a regression-equation isn't going to provide any sensible analysis, this sort of analysis would require Anova's and lots of them.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 12:06 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Thank you for that. I agree with you about Reilly not being great defensively using an eye test since I don't have the data to analyze! However, I do think he is a great offensive defenseman!

As I stated, I have taken many courses in statistical analysis and the first rule of thumb is the statistical-results must be able to withstand scrutiny. It's impossible to quantify the reliability of any analysis without transparency of the process; for that matter, statistics can be falsely generated to support anything and frankly most don't understand enough to know the difference. Fact is Stats/Data Analysis is one of the most hated/fear courses in the university. The interpretation of said analysis should also be scrutinized and if this site you are copying these graphics from isn't providing that information, can any of it be trusted? I think not. Additionally, using a regression-equation isn't going to provide any sensible analysis, this sort of analysis would require Anova's and lots of them.

Not sure where you are looking but the site very much goes into depth in the model and stuff. Hell you can talk to the twins in twitter if you want. They are always answering questions. It is one of the most trusted public models available. These guys literally just had a lecture at cbjhac (hockey analytics conference)
Feb. 19, 2020 at 12:12 a.m.
Campbe11
Not sure where you are looking but the site very much goes into depth in the model and stuff. Hell you can talk to the twins in twitter if you want. They are always answering questions. It is one of the most trusted public models available. These guys literally just had a lecture at cbjhac (hockey analytics conference)

Please provide a link, I don't use twitter. please forgive me, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just would like to know more about this and I have a little spare time.
Cheers
Feb. 19, 2020 at 8:24 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Please provide a link, I don't use twitter. please forgive me, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just would like to know more about this and I have a little spare time.
Cheers

Evolvinghockey.com
@evolvinghockey
Leaf_fan_74 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll