Forums/Armchair-GM

next year

Created by: pharrow
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 14, 2020
Published: Feb. 14, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Both Murray and Jarry are on show me deals. That's going to really be the biggest thing this offseason. One of them will be off to Seattle at the end of the year. It lets them choose and then work out a deal.
Is TVR an underpayment, probably. But they don't have much cap room and the pickings for a RHD are slim in the offseason outside guys that will cost a lot more than they can afford. Maybe they can make it happen though.
3RD is their biggest hole to fill now.
Poulin sticks to the team next year.. They need cap relief somewhere a rookie contract is good for that and frankly I think he's an upgrade over Simon who can't score.
When they move Hornqvist it will create some cap room for Marino. His contract is the biggest thing hanging over the teams cap structure going forward.
But it only saves roughly 4 million or so as someone has to take a roster spot.
Given ZAR and Blueger will both need deals as well they need to keep a little space as moving Horny and the cap increase won't be enough to cover all the salaries.
Ideally they can trade JJ. But I'm not holding my breath.

I am thinking Kahun as the 3C. He's actually 53% on the dot this year but on limited amount of draws. So maybe he can fill that role if he needed to. Otherwise you are looking at Blueger and the search fora 4C with Nikita and Hallander being given a shot.

The roster below is what this team would look like if it moved Hornqvist.

I think those 12 forwards are probably the best 12 forwards on any team and that the top 4 defense is as solid as they come.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$4,000,000
1$2,000,000
2$2,500,000
8$3,500,000
2$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,000,000
Trades
PIT
    anywhere for a pick. This has to happen to get under the cap.
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    25$84,000,000$79,158,509$0$1,032,500$4,841,491
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $894,167$894,167
    C, LW
    RFA - 4
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LW, RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $764,167$764,167 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    C
    RFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    C
    RFA
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RW
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    $4,025,175$4,025,175
    LD
    UFA - 5
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    G
    UFA - 4
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $700,000$700,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    G
    UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 14, 2020 at 3:19 p.m.
    I think Murray gets at least $5.5M....really like the TVR signing though.
    Pens3lieve liked this.
    Feb. 14, 2020 at 3:45 p.m.
    Hockey IQ
    I totally agree on most everything...In all likelyhood, Poulin and Hallander start at WBS next season. JJ, Bjugstad, and probably Hornqvist (even though I like him) will be need to be moved although Hornqvist has a Full NTC through next year then goes to 8-team NTC. Agree about Murray/Jarry, although if Murray really wants a big payday like 6-8 M, I see him being moved on the offseason. I like McCann at wing better as well, but I think they see him as the 3C. 46-53-13 has been so good defensively I hate to break that up...it might be one of the best “4th lines” in hockey.
    Feb. 14, 2020 at 3:55 p.m.
    Pocket Aces
    Quoting: Pens3lieve
    I totally agree on most everything...In all likelyhood, Poulin and Hallander start at WBS next season. JJ, Bjugstad, and probably Hornqvist (even though I like him) will be need to be moved although Hornqvist has a Full NTC through next year then goes to 8-team NTC. Agree about Murray/Jarry, although if Murray really wants a big payday like 6-8 M, I see him being moved on the offseason. I like McCann at wing better as well, but I think they see him as the 3C. 46-53-13 has been so good defensively I hate to break that up...it might be one of the best “4th lines” in hockey.

poulin cant be in WBS mate
    Feb. 14, 2020 at 4:16 p.m.
    Hockey IQ
    Quoting: Amplifys
    poulin cant be in WBS mate

I hope not...just my best guess
    Feb. 14, 2020 at 4:18 p.m.
    Pocket Aces
    I hope not...just my best guess

he might have a chance at NHL but i dont really think so he will be with sherbrooke again
    Pens3lieve liked this.
    Feb. 14, 2020 at 4:23 p.m.
    Hockey IQ
    Hopefully he gets an nhl tryout at least. If he’s not ready, seasoning with the WBS penguins can’t hurt.
    Feb. 14, 2020 at 4:40 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Amplifys
    he might have a chance at NHL but i dont really think so he will be with sherbrooke again

here is the thing. They need cap savings somewhere if they are going to make the roster work. And he's better than anything else they have at that price range.
    If you are going to say this is it. This is the last rebuild chance for a cup. You have nothing to lose giving him a try.

I don't think they really like him at center. He and Blueger have the same problem. They both suck at faceoffs. Which is why I suggested maybe Kahun who is better at them in the small sample we have.
    I would say they go out and get a 3C. But if we are being honest about the cap numbers, it's really hard to do that next year.
    So they have to go with what they got. I think they try Hallander or Nikita maybe and give the 3C to Blueger who is a natural defensive center. Or maybe go with Kahun and let Blueger center the 4th line.

But they need a better faceoff guy, they don't have cap for it.

Quoting: dgfresh78
    I think Murray gets at least $5.5M....really like the TVR signing though.

Here is the thing on Murray. How he plays at the end of the year will dictate a lot. If he plays lights out, he's probably looking at 6 with term.
    From what I have seen, he's not there yet, but lets be honest they haven't been playing great in front of him either.
    There is cap space to give him the 5.5M. But I think a show me deal is what is coming. Both guys are still RFA, and they are going to have to make a choice. After next year you can take both those cap hits, combine them and you are probably looking at your Goalie cap hit for one of them and then DeSmith comes up.
    But I think both know the cap is in a crunch, and that next year is going to be make or break in whatever direction they go. If they sign one of them to a huge contract and they doesn't play well, it makes it really hard to send them to Seattle. It's best they go there as a RFA needing a contract. Then they can decide if they wants to stay in Seattle with them signing a contract or do a 1 year deal and get out of there on the open market.
    Feb. 14, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
    Pocket Aces
    Quoting: pharrow
    here is the thing. They need cap savings somewhere if they are going to make the roster work. And he's better than anything else they have at that price range.
    If you are going to say this is it. This is the last rebuild chance for a cup. You have nothing to lose giving him a try.

I don't think they really like him at center. He and Blueger have the same problem. They both suck at faceoffs. Which is why I suggested maybe Kahun who is better at them in the small sample we have.
    I would say they go out and get a 3C. But if we are being honest about the cap numbers, it's really hard to do that next year.
    So they have to go with what they got. I think they try Hallander or Nikita maybe and give the 3C to Blueger who is a natural defensive center. Or maybe go with Kahun and let Blueger center the 4th line.

But they need a better faceoff guy, they don't have cap for it.

Here is the thing on Murray. How he plays at the end of the year will dictate a lot. If he plays lights out, he's probably looking at 6 with term.
    From what I have seen, he's not there yet, but lets be honest they haven't been playing great in front of him either.
    There is cap space to give him the 5.5M. But I think a show me deal is what is coming. Both guys are still RFA, and they are going to have to make a choice. After next year you can take both those cap hits, combine them and you are probably looking at your Goalie cap hit for one of them and then DeSmith comes up.
    But I think both know the cap is in a crunch, and that next year is going to be make or break in whatever direction they go. If they sign one of them to a huge contract and they doesn't play well, it makes it really hard to send them to Seattle. It's best they go there as a RFA needing a contract. Then they can decide if they wants to stay in Seattle with them signing a contract or do a 1 year deal and get out of there on the open market.

i mean i get what u mean but we dont NEED to try him out next year id love to dont get me wrong but we really dont need to if he aint ready id like to not screw up his development
    Feb. 14, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
    Pocket Aces
    Hopefully he gets an nhl tryout at least. If he’s not ready, seasoning with the WBS penguins can’t hurt.

sigh HE CANT PLAY IN WBS

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll