Forums/Armchair-GM

How the Pens retain Murray and Jarry for next season

Created by: Nights_King93
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 18, 2020
Published: Feb. 18, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I expect the cap to go up a few million. This was what Rutherford was expecting last year, i think it might be larger than this but time will tell.

I think all of those deals are in the right ball park unless Jarry or Murray absolutely carry the Pens to a title. Like sub 2.00 goals against and a 9.20 or higher playoffs save percentage. Very hard to do when every goalie has at least a couple of bad games in the playoffs.

If I am low by half a mill on Simon, McCann, Kahun, Riikola, Jarry, and Murray, the team is still under the cap. I don't expect to be off by more than that.

This is very possible. Having Zucker and Guentzel at under 6 mill is great. Look at what other teams are paying wingers.

Having Rust at 3.5 is a steal now. Marino won't get paid until next season. Lafferty will not get a better deal than Blueger yet.

Yes, the Pens can keep both. Assuming Seattle steals one of them, they will have at least three million of cap open up the next season. They can use that to throw money at Marino if he stays as solid as he has been.

Just as fans overvalue guys in trade talks, i believe many Pens fans put arbitrary value on McCann, Kahun, Simon, etc. They have NHL value and they are important contributors, but I'm not sure they are all getting between 2.5 and 4.5 million. McCann has hit a bit of a scoring lull. Kahun might be playing 4th line in the playoffs.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
2$750,000
2$3,000,000
5$6,000,000
2$1,500,000
2$1,125,000
2$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
Trades
PIT
  1. 2021 3rd round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
Literally any team. If bjugstad has a solid playoff he might demand a second. He could fall as low as a 4 or 5.
PIT
  1. 2020 4th round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
A team out there could use Desmith. If the Pens are locking up Matt and Tristan until the expansion draft, may as well move him. This is an attempt at moving JJs contract as well. Could be other teams, obviously
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$84,000,000$78,075,175$0$850,000$5,924,825
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 18, 2020 at 2:39 p.m.
Banned
by under paying guys and moving JJ in a trade that probably isn't happening?

Yeah no.
Lets see how this season finishes for Murray. We maybe heading into 1 year prove it deals and the loser is off to Seattle.
Feb. 18, 2020 at 2:51 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow

Yeah no.
Lets see how this season finishes for Murray. We maybe heading into 1 year prove it deals and the loser is off to Seattle.

I hardly see how anyone is underpaid. Like i said, you can add 0.5 mill to every contract. Do you really think Mccann is worth more than 3.5 million as an RFA or Kahun is worth more than 2.5 million as an RFA? I certainly dont.

In his last 11 games, McCann has 0 goals and 3 assists. He has been playing on Sid and Geno's lines. If not, 3C.

If his last name were Galchenyuk people would be saying the Pens should consider trading him. He was putting up 0.35PPG on the 4th line.

I just don't see how the value is that far off. If anyone wants to give Simon over 1.5 or 2.0 million, I hope the Pens have guys in the room reminding everyone he has the worst shot in the lineup.

People forget the difference between RFA and UFA when giving value. Short deals that end RFA can be lower than market value.
Feb. 18, 2020 at 2:56 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Nights_King93
I hardly see how anyone is underpaid. Like i said, you can add 0.5 mill to every contract. Do you really think Mccann is worth more than 3.5 million as an RFA or Kahun is worth more than 2.5 million as an RFA? I certainly dont.

In his last 11 games, McCann has 0 goals and 3 assists. He has been playing on Sid and Geno's lines. If not, 3C.

If his last name were Galchenyuk people would be saying the Pens should consider trading him. He was putting up 0.35PPG on the 4th line.

I just don't see how the value is that far off. If anyone wants to give Simon over 1.5 or 2.0 million, I hope the Pens have guys in the room reminding everyone he has the worst shot in the lineup.

People forget the difference between RFA and UFA when giving value. Short deals that end RFA can be lower than market value.

you didn't pay McCann 3.5 you paid him 3 and the same is true for Kahun.
Now you add that up, and you re add JJ salary that you aren't going to dump to LA. and where are we?
Feb. 18, 2020 at 3:08 p.m.

Yeah no.

wtf???
Nights_King93 liked this.
Feb. 18, 2020 at 3:13 p.m.
you didn't pay McCann 3.5 you paid him 3 and the same is true for Kahun.
Now you add that up, and you re add JJ salary that you aren't going to dump to LA. and where are we?

Still under the cap. Haha. I said, if all 6 guys are off by half a million the Pens are still under the cap.

Give Kahun and Mccann half a million each, that is one mill. 80.6 mill in cap used.

I think JJ can be traded in a deal like I mentioned. But let's say he can't be. 3.25-0.75= 2.5 million. The deal to Yannick isn't offered and this is the difference.

That brings it to 83.1 mill. I have the cap at 84. I think it will be at least 83.5.

I know reading and math is hard, but please read my explanation and do the math for yourself instead of making outlandish comments.
Feb. 18, 2020 at 5:37 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Blynasty
wtf???

they fighting for jobs bro.
Feb. 18, 2020 at 5:46 p.m.
Banned
Still under the cap. Haha. I said, if all 6 guys are off by half a million the Pens are still under the cap.

Give Kahun and Mccann half a million each, that is one mill. 80.6 mill in cap used.

I think JJ can be traded in a deal like I mentioned. But let's say he can't be. 3.25-0.75= 2.5 million. The deal to Yannick isn't offered and this is the difference.

That brings it to 83.1 mill. I have the cap at 84. I think it will be at least 83.5.

I know reading and math is hard, but please read my explanation and do the math for yourself instead of making outlandish comments.

what an arrogant comment.
First of all you have to add to the books the remainder of DeSmiths contract so you should do the math better as it doesn't all get buried.
so that's another $175,000.
Your margin for error on any players contract is so small it's absurd.
Let alone being able to manage that with injuries etc... there is no breathing room. It's not a real feasible plan.

Furthermore, it totally avoids the whole point of the original comment. The odds maybe pretty low here depending on the play these last few months that either guy is signed long term.
A. it's easier to trade a goalie to Seattle if Seattle gets to work his contract out. Especially if he's the guy who DIDN"T out play the other guy.
Second, with some of the play we have seen here. Jarry's play is limited so it will most definitely be a show me contract before he signs a better deal as I'm sure the player will bet on himself in hopes of making big money. And with Murray's slow start if it doesn't pick up and stay that way consistently through the rest of the playoffs they aren't going to commit 6 million in term there.
It makes no sense for the penguins to do that unless he returns to lights out play. Not saying he can't, but we wouldn't be having this conversation if he did all year.
Feb. 18, 2020 at 7:07 p.m.
what an arrogant comment.
First of all you have to add to the books the remainder of DeSmiths contract so you should do the math better as it doesn't all get buried.
so that's another $175,000.
Your margin for error on any players contract is so small it's absurd.
Let alone being able to manage that with injuries etc... there is no breathing room. It's not a real feasible plan.

Furthermore, it totally avoids the whole point of the original comment. The odds maybe pretty low here depending on the play these last few months that either guy is signed long term.
A. it's easier to trade a goalie to Seattle if Seattle gets to work his contract out. Especially if he's the guy who DIDN"T out play the other guy.
Second, with some of the play we have seen here. Jarry's play is limited so it will most definitely be a show me contract before he signs a better deal as I'm sure the player will bet on himself in hopes of making big money. And with Murray's slow start if it doesn't pick up and stay that way consistently through the rest of the playoffs they aren't going to commit 6 million in term there.
It makes no sense for the penguins to do that unless he returns to lights out play. Not saying he can't, but we wouldn't be having this conversation if he did all year.

I have Desmith getting traded. I'm done talking to you. Go live in your little fairy tale world where you make obnoxious comments on everyone's posts without reading the details. The margin of error isn't really that small.

I think the most these two goalies get is 9 million. You seem to be in agreement on that.

You seem to be in agreement with my prices on all but two players. Both of which I said might be bumped up by half a million in the original post. You seem to agree with that.

If they retain Murray and Jarry, Desmith gets traded. Desmith may get traded before the deadline. That money will be gone for that reason, as I have him getting moved in the offseason.

You literally have nothing to argue about besides Jack Johnson, who I believe becomes more moveable every year. And even when I take this consideration, and the Pens are half a mill under the predicted cap, you call it an extremely tight margin. In case you forget, the Pens entered the season over the cap this year.

This is all very realistic. You just want to argue because it didn't come from your "beautiful" mind.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 7:35 a.m.
Banned
I have Desmith getting traded. I'm done talking to you. Go live in your little fairy tale world where you make obnoxious comments on everyone's posts without reading the details. The margin of error isn't really that small.

I think the most these two goalies get is 9 million. You seem to be in agreement on that.

You seem to be in agreement with my prices on all but two players. Both of which I said might be bumped up by half a million in the original post. You seem to agree with that.

If they retain Murray and Jarry, Desmith gets traded. Desmith may get traded before the deadline. That money will be gone for that reason, as I have him getting moved in the offseason.

You literally have nothing to argue about besides Jack Johnson, who I believe becomes more moveable every year. And even when I take this consideration, and the Pens are half a mill under the predicted cap, you call it an extremely tight margin. In case you forget, the Pens entered the season over the cap this year.

This is all very realistic. You just want to argue because it didn't come from your "beautiful" mind.

yeah you traded DeSmith in a trade that is never going to happen. Or did you forget that part living in your arrogant head?
Feb. 19, 2020 at 11:25 a.m.
yeah you traded DeSmith in a trade that is never going to happen. Or did you forget that part living in your arrogant head?

You are the arrogant one. I said Desmith gets traded if they retain both no matter what. He has value. And like I said, I believe Desmith and Johnson could get moved for a midround pick. You saying a trade will never happen and me saying it could doesn't make you right, buddy.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll