Initial Creation Date: Feb. 19, 2020
Published: Feb. 19, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
PIT
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (VGK)
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (NJD)
VGK
  1. Schultz, Justin ($2,750,000 retained)
PIT
  1. Miller, Colin ($1,875,000 retained)
  2. Sheary, Conor
BUF
  1. Bjugstad, Nick
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (PIT)
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (PIT)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$76,374,125$132,500$3,832,500$5,125,875
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$874,125$874,125
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 4
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 19, 2020 at 11:28 a.m.
Nothing wild or outrageous here, but I think I like the current roster better than this one. Especially if Buffalo wouldn't retain on Miller, which I'm not sure that they would.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 11:29 a.m.
Quoting: Nights_King93
Nothing wild or outrageous here, but I think I like the current roster better than this one. Especially if Buffalo wouldn't retain on Miller, which I'm not sure that they would.

I just have this feeling the pens could steal miller from Buffalo. I’ve always seen him as the ideal Schultz replacement. I don’t think they’d need to give up Bjugstad either.
Nights_King93 liked this.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 11:33 a.m.
Quoting: dgfresh78
I just have this feeling the pens could steal miller from Buffalo. I’ve always seen him as the ideal Schultz replacement. I don’t think they’d need to give up Bjugstad either.

I could see that scenario more. Bjugstad has lower value right now but could lead a great possession line in the playoffs. If he scores then the Pens could trade him in the offseason. I'd rather that than Sheary.

I don't hate Sheary but the last two playoff runs his shots were not great.. The last year he would literally get thrown off of the puck any time he possessed it. I know the Pens like a speed game, but he isn't Rust or Tanev. He doesn't have much push back.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 11:35 a.m.
Quoting: Nights_King93
I could see that scenario more. Bjugstad has lower value right now but could lead a great possession line in the playoffs. If he scores then the Pens could trade him in the offseason. I'd rather that than Sheary.

I don't hate Sheary but the last two playoff runs his shots were not great.. The last year he would literally get thrown off of the puck any time he possessed it. I know the Pens like a speed game, but he isn't Rust or Tanev. He doesn't have much push back.

If they were to get a depth forward from Buffalo Larsson or Girgensons fit that mold as they’re good defensively and can kill penalties.
Nights_King93 liked this.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 11:40 a.m.
If they were to get a depth forward from Buffalo Larsson or Girgensons fit that mold as they’re good defensively and can kill penalties.

Would love Girgensons for the right price. I'd be interested to see how he would fit in with the Pens style.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 11:41 a.m.
Banned
I was just thinking yesterday, if Marino wasn't hurt would Schultz have been traded by now?

Miller is a natural R hand shot and would work as a 3RD as he's in the right cap space framework.
The only thing I don't like about this is taking back Sheary. Please, not him, let Buffalo keep him.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 11:44 a.m.
Quoting: pharrow
I was just thinking yesterday, if Marino wasn't hurt would Schultz have been traded by now?

Miller is a natural R hand shot and would work as a 3RD as he's in the right cap space framework.
The only thing I don't like about this is taking back Sheary. Please, not him, let Buffalo keep him.

Then take your pick of Larsson, Girgensons, or Rodrigues because either way I’m anticipating the pens needing a depth forward.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 11:54 a.m.
I see there are no Buf fans response yet. They are taking on big Bjug money for another year, retaining on Miller for 2 years, all for a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick? They are trying to be relevant. These aren't the type of moves you make to become relevant. If something happens with Sheary it will be for a like a bottom of a the barrel prospect or late late draft pick. He's a non-factor in Buffalo, UFA at the end of the year, and maybe Buffalo just gives him a shot to play for the Cup.

People hating on Sheary, we are giving Simon 12-15 a night to play with Crosby and now Zucker. I don't hate Simon but that could be even better if you have a guy with a better nose for the net. Sheary has shown that in the past. Is he my first choice? No. Not even my top 10 choice, but he's a cheap risk-free has been proven to work choice that would be a great plan C for JR.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 12:02 p.m.
Banned
Then take your pick of Larsson, Girgensons, or Rodrigues because either way I’m anticipating the pens needing a depth forward.

you might be able to throw Vesey in that list too. They got a lot of guys on expiring deals.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 12:03 p.m.
you might be able to throw Vesey in that list too. They got a lot of guys on expiring deals.

I forgot about Vesey...he’d be my main guy too.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 12:04 p.m.
Quoting: Blynasty
I see there are no Buf fans response yet. They are taking on big Bjug money for another year, retaining on Miller for 2 years, all for a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick? They are trying to be relevant. These aren't the type of moves you make to become relevant. If something happens with Sheary it will be for a like a bottom of a the barrel prospect or late late draft pick. He's a non-factor in Buffalo, UFA at the end of the year, and maybe Buffalo just gives him a shot to play for the Cup.

People hating on Sheary, we are giving Simon 12-15 a night to play with Crosby and now Zucker. I don't hate Simon but that could be even better if you have a guy with a better nose for the net. Sheary has shown that in the past. Is he my first choice? No. Not even my top 10 choice, but he's a cheap risk-free has been proven to work choice that would be a great plan C for JR.

They could honestly pull the deal off without trading Bjugstad in my opinion. Getting BUF to retain a small bit on Miller is paramount and if PIT needs to take Bjugstad out for that to happen I’m fine with it.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 12:04 p.m.
Banned

I'm not sure what Sheary you were watching but he was worthless on the ice. Worked his way down to the 4th line.
If he wasn't related to Sully he wouldn't have gotten that contract or playing time. But that's a different story.

As for Simon, I too don't think he should be on that line, but RW is their greatest weakness. He's not a bad player, hell he can do everything you want a player to do......but find the net with his shot.
You would think after this year he will really work on that. The rest of the game is there. The reason I don't like him is he's no threat to score and that doesn't work on top lines.
But who else can they put there. Hornqvist. Putting Hornqvist on Crosby's line is the best way for the opposing team to slow Crosby down.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 12:20 p.m.
I'm not sure what Sheary you were watching but he was worthless on the ice. Worked his way down to the 4th line.
If he wasn't related to Sully he wouldn't have gotten that contract or playing time. But that's a different story.

As for Simon, I too don't think he should be on that line, but RW is their greatest weakness. He's not a bad player, hell he can do everything you want a player to do......but find the net with his shot.
You would think after this year he will really work on that. The rest of the game is there. The reason I don't like him is he's no threat to score and that doesn't work on top lines.
But who else can they put there. Hornqvist. Putting Hornqvist on Crosby's line is the best way for the opposing team to slow Crosby down.

He signed the contract after scoring 23 goals in like 60 games and scoring 50 points. He regressed from there but that contract didn't seem like a bad idea at the time. At this point I'd take Sheary over Simon on Sid's RW and if there is no risk involved and it is 10 min til the deadline I make that move.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 12:29 p.m.
Banned
He signed the contract after scoring 23 goals in like 60 games and scoring 50 points. He regressed from there but that contract didn't seem like a bad idea at the time. At this point I'd take Sheary over Simon on Sid's RW and if there is no risk involved and it is 10 min til the deadline I make that move.

yeah it did but that's besides the point. Just like the Horny contract was bad the second it was signed.
I would take Simon over Sheary, at least he'll go get the puck. Sheary was worthless on the ice. It took him right down to the 4th line.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 12:30 p.m.
yeah it did but that's besides the point. Just like the Horny contract was bad the second it was signed.
I would take Simon over Sheary, at least he'll go get the puck. Sheary was worthless on the ice. It took him right down to the 4th line.

Where was Simon when Crosby was out?
Feb. 19, 2020 at 12:35 p.m.
Banned
Where was Simon when Crosby was out?

Simon bounced too, no doubt and he can't score. That's a straw man argument. I've already said he doesn't belong there. He's there because they don't have anyone better.
But hell, Sheary was on the 4th line when Crosby was in.
Point being Simon gets the puck and can hold possession. Which is why they put him there. Sheary will never do that.
Simon just can't do anything with the puck once he has it other than pass it to someone who can. And that frankly isn't much of a skill.
Neither one of them really belongs there. Which is the point I was making with Sheary to begin with.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 12:56 p.m.

Larsson and girgensons are polarizing figures in buffalo. Both have been here for far too long and never played a playoff game. They are tenacious forecheckers and know how to cycle down low- if thats your thing, but they provide almost no offense at all. Girgensons has had some time with eichel and reinhart due to injuries, which probably bumps his stats up into what you might like to see, production-wise from a fourth liner. Take those with a hefty grain of salt. Also, our pk has been shockingly bad, i havent looked recently but we were 31st if you take out the 10 game winning streak to start the season. Larsson and girgensons are both on this unit. Could be special teams coaches, our pp is also terrible, neither unit should be this bad. I would be willing to send you miller and girgensons on the condition you take botterill back, for a box of fresh wyoming air. Having said that, im just gonna assume that bjugstad is coming, he is a center, and he plays for the pens, which seems to check all of the boxes for some reason.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 2:07 p.m.
Miller would be a good add especially earlier in the season but i don't see how the Pens get him in a Bjugstad trade now that it doesn't look like he will be ready to play anytime soon. Bjugstad at this point would be a cap dump that will likely be made during the off season if he can come back and start playing somewhat decent. He has no value now unfortunately. Def not enought to take on his salary and retain on a Miller.

The KNights are trading for Martinez so i think they are done bolstering their defense. But vegas may need to move a contract to fit Martinez in. if so Cody Eakins would be a decent 3rd line center and probably come pretty cheap.

Larsson or Girgensons wouldn't be bad depth pickups since they will be cheap and add grit. Bogosian could be a very cheap depth D add since it is very obvious he wants out of Buffalo.
Feb. 19, 2020 at 3:16 p.m.
Quoting: Toddyd77
Miller would be a good add especially earlier in the season but i don't see how the Pens get him in a Bjugstad trade now that it doesn't look like he will be ready to play anytime soon. Bjugstad at this point would be a cap dump that will likely be made during the off season if he can come back and start playing somewhat decent. He has no value now unfortunately. Def not enought to take on his salary and retain on a Miller.

The KNights are trading for Martinez so i think they are done bolstering their defense. But vegas may need to move a contract to fit Martinez in. if so Cody Eakins would be a decent 3rd line center and probably come pretty cheap.

Larsson or Girgensons wouldn't be bad depth pickups since they will be cheap and add grit. Bogosian could be a very cheap depth D add since it is very obvious he wants out of Buffalo.

I’ve changed my mind on trading Bjugstad...I think they could get it done for picks. As for Schultz I think there could be a real market for him with the demand for RHD at the deadline. I used Vegas because I was under the impression that the Martinez trade fell through and that Vegas would need to look at other options.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll