SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Who do you want traded most

Trade who?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

May 29, 2020 at 7:20 p.m.
Would rather trade:
1. Kapanen. I don’t think his value is going to get much higher (to other teams) he is under contract @ a decent # for a few more years. But, if they wait too long then other teams can shift focus/he can feminist his own value with inconsistent play.

2. Engvall. Too much money for a meh, player. I know they didn’t know the season was going to be halted & revenue would dry up. This the cap would stagnate. But, this was an unforced error. Now, some believe he wouldn’t clear waivers... great that means he has value. Trade him.

3. Bracco. Stuck behind one great similar player (in terms of style of play ,Marner). Bad luck for him, I don’t feel that he has the maturity yet to change his game to better his chances at a NHL spot. He may just need a change of scenery.

4. Johnsson. Like him when he is healthy. Just a bit annoying to the opposition & has the skill to play with good - great players. But, so does Soup, Kerfoot & Hyman. I would rather hold on to the other three, give opportunities to other players & have a better chance at a solid D-corps. Then run back with Johnsson on one of the top three lines.

A) Soup is better on the defencive side of the game & most likely cheaper.
B) Kerfoot is more versatile (LW & C) plays a similar role, granted less annoying to opponents. But, is a very smart hockey player (an oxymoron to some, I know).
C) Hyman....nuff said, although he may be in for a BIG pay day soon.
Jun. 12, 2020 at 1:37 a.m.
Quoting: Jack_
Markstrom is a top 5 goalie in the nhl right now and it looks like he and his agent dont seem to know it. Resigning freddy isnt a good idea with his injury history. Lehner would also be a good idea at the right cost. Hes shown hes capable of playing in diverse situations and hes been fantastic on a horrible hawks team. If freddy bounces back for the rest of the season he would get a very good return. Getting assets for freddy and upgrading the goalie position would be a huge win.

I dont believe that goalies are very important but if the leafs arent able to build a strong defensive structure like Carolina, Columbus, The Isles or Arizona does then they need to invest in very good goalies without having to pay them too much

Would you move Andersen in the off-season for picks only and sign or trade for another goalie? Specifically asking about this coming off-season.
Trickster liked this.
Jun. 12, 2020 at 10:55 a.m.
Kings v5 GM
Quoting: oneX
Would you move Andersen in the off-season for picks only and sign or trade for another goalie? Specifically asking about this coming off-season.

Definitely I would. Looking ahead to next offseason there arent many goalie options and Freddie's next contract will be horrible. Markstrom can be locked up to a reasonable contract and by the private metrics that NHL teams use hes the 4th best goalie in the nhl. He hasn't played a lot in his career so his body is relatively fresh and hes an extremely hard worker. Hes also very smart so he always looks to improve, eats well and does what's best for himself so he can be the best possible goalie.

If they could get Markstrom then trade Freddie for pretty much anything they would be golden. The nice thing with the offseason cap is that you can go up to 10% over so they wouldnt have to risk trading Freddie then end up not getting Markstrom. They could sign Markstrom then trade Freddie. I would love picks but there are quite a few teams that need a goalie and the leafs could get a decent prospect or player in return. The leafs would have to add a but but Rasmus Andersson didnt have a good season. Oli Julevi in Vancouver is an option. Picks would be great though. You get an upgrade on a goalie and get picks. It's like trading a rental goalie for a better goalie with term and extra assets- it should be a no brainer
oneX liked this.
Jun. 12, 2020 at 12:03 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
I said Muzzin for one reason - you could probs get a RD to play with Rielly for him
Jun. 12, 2020 at 1:05 p.m.
hey look a squirrel

Definitely I would. Looking ahead to next offseason there arent many goalie options and Freddie's next contract will be horrible. Markstrom can be locked up to a reasonable contract and by the private metrics that NHL teams use hes the 4th best goalie in the nhl. He hasn't played a lot in his career so his body is relatively fresh and hes an extremely hard worker. Hes also very smart so he always looks to improve, eats well and does what's best for himself so he can be the best possible goalie.

If they could get Markstrom then trade Freddie for pretty much anything they would be golden. The nice thing with the offseason cap is that you can go up to 10% over so they wouldnt have to risk trading Freddie then end up not getting Markstrom. They could sign Markstrom then trade Freddie. I would love picks but there are quite a few teams that need a goalie and the leafs could get a decent prospect or player in return. The leafs would have to add a but but Rasmus Andersson didnt have a good season. Oli Julevi in Vancouver is an option. Picks would be great though. You get an upgrade on a goalie and get picks. It's like trading a rental goalie for a better goalie with term and extra assets- it should be a no brainer

I see age as an issue.
They ate both 30 already.

I say stay away from both and go younger.
Jun. 12, 2020 at 2:29 p.m.
Kings v5 GM
Quoting: Trickster
I see age as an issue.

Personally I'm a believer in getting rid of the need for good goalies like Carolina, Minnesota, CBJ and Arizona has but that's probably not realistic. A good goalie is generally a product of a good defensive system but a great goalie isnt. The problem with needing a great goalie is that they cost a lot and, like every goalie are unpredictable. Theres so much volatility in that position that it's almost always a bad thing to do to bet on goalies. I know I have no idea what Freddie or Markstrom will end up doing next season. I'm just going off what I've watched, their stats and what I've been able to find about their work ethic/personality. I know I dont know what will happen next season with Freddie, I know Kyle dubas and the majority of GMs besides the ones who have created good d situations dont know what their goalies will end up doing next year and I definitely know that no one on capfriendly knows what will happen next year.

I've always been a believer in creating a great d situation that any goalie can succeed in so they wont have to worry about giving up a ton for a goalie.

That isnt realistic with the leafs so if they want to target a young guy their best targets are Georgiev or Murray. Jarry is also good but I assume Pittsburgh will want to keep him. I dont trust Georgiev to take over for Freddie yet. Murray seems like the most realistic option because hes young, coming off a rough season and he played in the SOO with dubas. I have no idea what he will do next season though
Trickster liked this.
Jun. 12, 2020 at 2:50 p.m.
Personally I'm a believer in getting rid of the need for good goalies like Carolina, Minnesota, CBJ and Arizona has but that's probably not realistic. A good goalie is generally a product of a good defensive system but a great goalie isnt. The problem with needing a great goalie is that they cost a lot and, like every goalie are unpredictable. Theres so much volatility in that position that it's almost always a bad thing to do to bet on goalies. I know I have no idea what Freddie or Markstrom will end up doing next season. I'm just going off what I've watched, their stats and what I've been able to find about their work ethic/personality. I know I dont know what will happen next season with Freddie, I know Kyle dubas and the majority of GMs besides the ones who have created good d situations dont know what their goalies will end up doing next year and I definitely know that no one on capfriendly knows what will happen next year.

I've always been a believer in creating a great d situation that any goalie can succeed in so they wont have to worry about giving up a ton for a goalie.

That isnt realistic with the leafs so if they want to target a young guy their best targets are Georgiev or Murray. Jarry is also good but I assume Pittsburgh will want to keep him. I dont trust Georgiev to take over for Freddie yet. Murray seems like the most realistic option because hes young, coming off a rough season and he played in the SOO with dubas. I have no idea what he will do next season though

If there's enough cap space moved from forwards to D, then a tandem goalie makes sense but yeah otherwise acquiring an elite goalie is tough nevermind paying him.
Jack_ and Trickster liked this.
Jun. 12, 2020 at 3:38 p.m.
I see age as an issue.

At this point I think it's easier to improve the D than it is to land an elite goalie. As @Jack_ said, goalies can have up and down years but the D plays as a core and can be easier to acquire.
Jack_ and Trickster liked this.
Jun. 12, 2020 at 5:25 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
If there's enough cap space moved from forwards to D, then a tandem goalie makes sense but yeah otherwise acquiring an elite goalie is tough nevermind paying him.

At this point I think it's easier to improve the D than it is to land an elite goalie. As @Jack_ said, goalies can have up and down years but the D plays as a core and can be easier to acquire.

What would you think Leafs signing Binnington after next season? Not saying he will leave St. Louis but he will be a UFA.
Jun. 13, 2020 at 2:46 a.m.
What would you think Leafs signing Binnington after next season? Not saying he will leave St. Louis but he will be a UFA.

Not sold on Binnington as much as I was on St. Louis's defense. He played well but didn't need to stand on his head to win games for the team. This is why having a stronger defense is important imo.
Trickster liked this.
Jun. 13, 2020 at 2:42 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Not sold on Binnington as much as I was on St. Louis's defense. He played well but didn't need to stand on his head to win games for the team. This is why having a stronger defense is important imo.

Grubauer?
Jun. 13, 2020 at 9:28 p.m.
Grubauer?

Even less sure about him than Binnington. Infact, Grubauer and Matt Murray are the same imo and if I was picking one of them, I'd pick Murray.
Trickster liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit