3-way trade with MTL and NYR

Created by: justaBoss
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 20, 2020
Published: Feb. 20, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
TOR gets: Max Domi, Alexandar Georgiev, Noah Juulsen

MTL gets: Ryan Strome, Brady Skjei, Libor Hajek, Brendan Lemieux, Mikko Kokkonen

NYR gets: William Nylander, Brett Kulak, Jeremy Bracco

---

Originally this trade was constructed as
- Domi, Primeau, Juulsen to TOR in exchange to Nylander, Kokkonen
- Primeau, Bracco to NYR in exchange to Georgiev
- Skjei, Strome, Lemieux, Primeau, Hajek to MTL in exchange to Nylander, Kulak.
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$68,584,777$0$377,500$12,915,223
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$175,000$175K)
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 20, 2020 at 8:35 a.m.
Kings v5 GM
Yikes. I think you may have hit post instead of delete
JOFA liked this.
Feb. 20, 2020 at 8:38 a.m.
Tspky
too convoluted of a trade tbh.. i could see 2-3 players from each team but rangers have 5 players leaving and even though they are getting the best player (nylander) it's just a lot

Probably something more along the lines of
NYR gives up Strome, Skjei, Georgiev
MTL gives up domi, kulak
Tor gives up Nylander

NYR gets Nylander + Kulak
MTL gets Skjei, Strome
Tor gets Domi and Georgiev
AndrewLadd liked this.
Feb. 20, 2020 at 8:39 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: Spanky227
too convoluted of a trade tbh.. i could see 2-3 players from each team but rangers have 5 players leaving and even though they are getting the best player (nylander) it's just a lot

MTL gives up domi, kulak
Tor gives up Nylander

MTL gets Skjei, Strome

Couldn’t have said it better myself
Feb. 20, 2020 at 8:42 a.m.
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Couldn’t have said it better myself

If the Rangers walked away with Nylander for the poo poo poop platter of Skjei, Strome and Georgiev, I would streak 5th avenue naked in celebration. What a steal that would be. Like I sit here thinking, is Kreider @ 50%, Georgiev and DeAngelo enough to get Willy or do the Rangers need to add, and your telling me I could get Willy and Kulak for that? Mind blown
AndrewLadd and justaBoss liked this.
Feb. 20, 2020 at 8:49 a.m.
Tspky
Quoting: BSpadaro83
If the Rangers walked away with Nylander for the poo poo poop platter of Skjei, Strome and Georgiev, I would streak 5th avenue naked in celebration. What a steal that would be. Like I sit here thinking, is Kreider @ 50%, Georgiev and DeAngelo enough to get Willy or do the Rangers need to add, and your telling me I could get Willy and Kulak for that? Mind blown

hence the along the lines phrasing. I just didn't want it to be too convoluted with draft picks and other players
Feb. 20, 2020 at 8:50 a.m.
ChytilMania
This is surprisingly decent. However, the Rangers would like to do this while keeping Brendan Lemieux.
justaBoss liked this.
Feb. 20, 2020 at 9:00 a.m.

The Leafs don't need Georgiev (you had your chance) so this trade is not helpful for them at all. They are also losing by far the best player in this trade, and I very much doubt they are going to want to do that for marginal upgrades and rental players. Toronto has no interest in trading Nylander, because why would they? He's very good, young and underpaid for his performance. People can talk all they want about cap space, cap hell, etc. the Leafs will sell off every depth piece they have before moving Nylander for cap space.
Jack_ liked this.
Feb. 20, 2020 at 9:03 a.m.
Quoting: newballcoach
The Leafs don't need Georgiev (you had your chance) so this trade is not helpful for them at all. They are also losing by far the best player in this trade, and I very much doubt they are going to want to do that for marginal upgrades and rental players. Toronto has no interest in trading Nylander, because why would they? He's very good, young and underpaid for his performance. People can talk all they want about cap space, cap hell, etc. the Leafs will sell off every depth piece they have before moving Nylander for cap space.

imagine looking at the leafs goaltending for the past two years, thinking Jack Campbell solves it all and walking away from any chance to improve it... lol

Also, a 60 pt team controlled RHD who plays PP1 isnt a "depth piece"
Feb. 20, 2020 at 9:25 a.m.
imagine looking at the leafs goaltending for the past two years, thinking Jack Campbell solves it all and walking away from any chance to improve it... lol

Also, a 60 pt team controlled RHD who plays PP1 isnt a "depth piece"

Haha, LOL!!!! My point was not that the Leafs have "solved" their goaltending. You said that, not me. They have no place for Georgiev, so the trade isn't helpful. Not every NHL team wants to run three goalies, and they are guaranteed to lose any of the three they put on waivers, so they would have to make another trade to unload whoever they didn't want. So, once again, not helpful. LOL

DeAngelo is a right handed, slightly worse, version of Morgan Rielly. The Leafs don't need that, they have a PP1 QB already. DeAngelo also does not fit the mold of what the Leafs are looking for. If he's the main piece in a return for WILLIAM NYLANDER, that would be a big decline on the Leafs part.
Feb. 20, 2020 at 9:27 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Spanky227

MTL gives up domi, kulak
Tor gives up Nylander

MTL gets Skjei, Strome

In this case there's only one clear winner and that's NYR...
Feb. 20, 2020 at 9:27 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Jack_
Yikes. I think you may have hit post instead of delete

Rather comment something actually useful?
Feb. 20, 2020 at 9:32 a.m.
What in tarnation
Haha, LOL!!!! My point was not that the Leafs have "solved" their goaltending. You said that, not me. They have no place for Georgiev, so the trade isn't helpful. Not every NHL team wants to run three goalies, and they are guaranteed to lose any of the three they put on waivers, so they would have to make another trade to unload whoever they didn't want. So, once again, not helpful. LOL

DeAngelo is a right handed, slightly worse, version of Morgan Rielly. The Leafs don't need that, they have a PP1 QB already. DeAngelo also does not fit the mold of what the Leafs are looking for. If he's the main piece in a return for WILLIAM NYLANDER, that would be a big decline on the Leafs part.

To be fair, Andersen's contract is about to expire in a year and they have no future goalie in place.

In order to save cap, Georgiev could be a future option if they decide to let Andersen walk.

Needless to say, Campbell is not the answer as to who to replace Andersen with as he's slowly reaching the point where he stars to decline.

Georgiev+Campbell COULD be a solid and relatively cheap tandem for future,,,
Feb. 20, 2020 at 9:38 a.m.
Quoting: BurgerBoss
To be fair, Andersen's contract is about to expire in a year and they have no future goalie in place.

In order to save cap, Georgiev could be a future option if they decide to let Andersen walk.

Needless to say, Campbell is not the answer as to who to replace Andersen with as he's slowly reaching the point where he stars to decline.

Georgiev+Campbell COULD be a solid and relatively cheap tandem for future,,,

And all of those reasons were reasons Toronto would potential acquire Georgiev. But they didn't, because the Rangers price for a backup goalie was silly high. Andersen is up after next year that's true, but acquiring another backup now doesn't help that, you aren't rolling with three next year. And trading Nylander as the main piece in a deal for a backup goalie is ridiculous to even discuss.

If the Leafs are looking to move on from Freddie (which I'm not sure they are) they may make a move this summer to position themselves to do so. That may depend on what he is looking for in his next contract. If he is willing to stay fairly close to his current cap hit, I could see them keeping him. If he wants a ton of money, maybe they make a move. But there's no easy path to that, and I doubt it runs through Georgiev. There is nothing to suggest that Andersen won't be back playing to his usual level in a few weeks, and nothing to suggest he will. Goalies are weird like that. What's his value on the trade market if they choose to go that route?
justaBoss liked this.
Feb. 20, 2020 at 9:51 a.m.
What in tarnation
And all of those reasons were reasons Toronto would potential acquire Georgiev. But they didn't, because the Rangers price for a backup goalie was silly high. Andersen is up after next year that's true, but acquiring another backup now doesn't help that, you aren't rolling with three next year. And trading Nylander as the main piece in a deal for a backup goalie is ridiculous to even discuss.

If the Leafs are looking to move on from Freddie (which I'm not sure they are) they may make a move this summer to position themselves to do so. That may depend on what he is looking for in his next contract. If he is willing to stay fairly close to his current cap hit, I could see them keeping him. If he wants a ton of money, maybe they make a move. But there's no easy path to that, and I doubt it runs through Georgiev. There is nothing to suggest that Andersen won't be back playing to his usual level in a few weeks, and nothing to suggest he will. Goalies are weird like that. What's his value on the trade market if they choose to go that route?

You mean what would TOR be getting if they moved Andersen?

Good question. My guess would be around the same ballpark that they got him for. 1st and 2nd round pick...
Feb. 20, 2020 at 11:05 a.m.
Kings v5 GM
Quoting: BurgerBoss
Rather comment something actually useful?

they have no need to give up so much for a back up when they already have one and they could just pick him up off waivers next season. they are pretty much giving up nylander who is better then domi and on a way better contract. overall they are giving up nylander, kokkonen and bracco for juulsen (who is a downgrade on liljegren), domi (who is a downgrade on nylander) and a goalie who they dont need and will be available for a low cost or even free next season.

this makes no sense for the leafs.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll