Forums/NHL Trades

(ANA/BOS) - Kase for Backes, Andersson, 1st round pick

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 21, 2020 at 1:20 p.m.
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Makes Dubas look like a clown after giving up a 1st to dump Marleau

Pretty different circumstance. Marleau asked for a trade, basically said he wouldn't play for anyone but a Californian team, and Toronto absolutely needed to shed the whole thing. He wasn't going to qualify for LTIR, and because it was a 35+ contract, they couldn't get relief if he didn't report.

Doesn't take away from how well Boston did here, but it's a very different animal.
Weezley and Random2152 liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 1:20 p.m.
The reason that the cost was lower for Backes than for Marleau was because Boston retained 25% of the hit. Carolina, unlike Anaheim, was willing to eat the full hit outright, hence why they got a 1st round pick for free, essentially.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 1:21 p.m.
Quoting: Salzy
Yeah, different situations too, Cap savings for BOS only roughly 800k with the retention

Probably the more critical part is that they occurred at different times of the year. At the beginning of the year teams weren’t sure how a season would go, versus the deadline where it’s a bit more clear.
Salzy liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 1:23 p.m.
Banned
lol
Feb. 21, 2020 at 1:25 p.m.
Quoting: Danny12357
Pretty different circumstance. Marleau asked for a trade, basically said he wouldn't play for anyone but a Californian team, and Toronto absolutely needed to shed the whole thing. He wasn't going to qualify for LTIR, and because it was a 35+ contract, they couldn't get relief if he didn't report.

Doesn't take away from how well Boston did here, but it's a very different animal.

They really did. I know people have been calling Kase a depth winger but good teams have a way of making them better, so I won’t be surprised to see him float in the top 6 when needed and to succeed.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 1:26 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
Awesome deal for the 2nd best winger in the league!

All joking aside, BOS wins; they shed the Backes contract and pay a little less than I'd expect in a vacuum for someone like Kase.
justaBoss liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 1:28 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
This is a great trade for both teams because both teams got what they wanted. Boston gets the RW they hope will make David Krejci even more effective and gets rid of Backes and his contract. Anaheim gets the RD prospect they so desperately need plus a first-round draft pick* in a really bountiful draft pool. It's almost as if I had predicted it:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1600049

* Alternatively, you could consider this the first pick of the second round.
ZiggyPalffy and justaBoss liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 1:31 p.m.
Banned
I can't help, but think of @Gofnut999 and how many times he said with %100 certainty that BOS WILL NOT trade their first round picks. Get off ya high horse buddy...
Feb. 21, 2020 at 1:33 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: OldNYIfan
This is a great trade for both teams because both teams got what they wanted. Boston gets the RW they hope will make David Krejci even more effective and gets rid of Backes and his contract. Anaheim gets the RD prospect they so desperately need plus a first-round draft pick* in a really bountiful draft pool. It's almost as if I had predicted it:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1600049

* Alternatively, you could consider this the first pick of the second round.

ON FEBUARY 1ST when you posted that, you never disappoint me!
OldNYIfan and JayTea liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 1:37 p.m.
Quoting: DDoverChucky
I voted Anaheim. Kase is already in his mid 20s and has never hit 40 points and you get a 1st rounder back.

He just turned 24 in Nov. Also has had injuries and played on an awful team.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 1:39 p.m.
Backes contract is different BO cost is $4M not 6

Also - The timing. Dubas needed money to protect against Marner offer sheet or the price would have been higher if he had to react. Backes is presumably open to playing in Anaheim whereas Marleau was a cash transaction.
mondo and OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 1:46 p.m.
Banned
It's hard to judge this trade at the moment.
Too many people on here think this is a clear win for BOS.

First the move of Backes. They had to retain 1.5 million of it. He's already buried so you are really looking at roughly 2.4 million of cap space next year. That's if he even reports.
My guess is that he does not report to ANA's AHL team and that contract gets terminated. But we'll see on that.

Then there is Kase. Kase looked good up till shoulder surgery. Is he 100% recovered? Is it simply because he's on a bad team?
We don't know the answer to that yet. Could be a good pick up for BOS. It could also be he's not the same player.

Either way they got a 1st and a decent prospect out of him. That seems to be the going rate. As I don't see Backes actually reporting to an AHL team.
Salzy, OldNYIfan and Trickster liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 1:48 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
It's hard to judge this trade at the moment.
Too many people on here think this is a clear win for BOS.

First the move of Backes. They had to retain 1.5 million of it. He's already buried so you are really looking at roughly 2.4 million of cap space next year. That's if he even reports.
My guess is that he does not report to ANA's AHL team and that contract gets terminated. But we'll see on that.

Then there is Kase. Kase looked good up till shoulder surgery. Is he 100% recovered? Is it simply because he's on a bad team?
We don't know the answer to that yet. Could be a good pick up for BOS. It could also be he's not the same player.

Either way they got a 1st and a decent prospect out of him. That seems to be the going rate. As I don't see Backes actually reporting to an AHL team.

Backes will be reporting to ANA, the Athletic reported
Feb. 21, 2020 at 1:50 p.m.
Banned

Sure because if he didn't report this year it would effect the trade and then BOS would have issues.
Its not about reporting this year. It's next year.
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 1:52 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: ON3M4N
Remember when people said it would take a 1st just to move Backes? Again you were wrong.

I mean...it did take a 1st though...
Feb. 21, 2020 at 1:52 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: DDoverChucky
It was awful. No one has ever payed that much for dumping a contract. Carolina robbed Dubas.

No choice. Marleau was on a multi year 35+ contract with an nmc. This means that they had to find a team to take on the whole salary and buy him out and let him move on.

Apples and oranges. Especially with retained salary.
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 1:54 p.m.
Edited Feb. 21, 2020 at 2:40 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769
I mean...it did take a 1st though...

If you think Kase was only worth Andersson lol. Andersson + 2nd would be cost of Kase. To take Backes the 2nd becomes a first. Its not a straight first just for Backes, like many said it would be.
exo2769 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 1:55 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: ON3M4N
If you think Kase was only worth Andersson lol. Andersson + 2nd would be cost of Kase. To take Backes the 2nd becomes a first. Its not a straight first just for Backes, like nanny said it would be.

Don't get me wrong. Great trade by BOS. I also think it's a great trade for ANA. They need the picks more than the cap next year.
ON3M4N and OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 2:35 p.m.
Quoting: Bf3351
I can't help, but think of @Gofnut999 and how many times he said with %100 certainty that BOS WILL NOT trade their first round picks. Get off ya high horse buddy...

Wrong as usual. I said they would never trade their 1st with Backes as a stand alone move. They would have to get a piece back to move the 1st with Backes. Which they did. I also called this move a month ago . But whatever dude.
OldNYIfan, exo2769 and JayTea liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 2:38 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Gofnut999
Wrong as usual. I said they would never trade their 1st with Backes as a stand alone move. They would have to get a piece back to move the 1st with Backes. Which they did. I also called this move a month ago . But whatever dude.

@Propeller09 called it, too.
exo2769 and Propeller09 liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 2:41 p.m.

With ANH being on his NT list, I imagine they offered him an NHL role and that's why he waived
exo2769 and Propeller09 liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 2:45 p.m.
Banned

You should get your memory checked. I never traded Backes in any of my ACGMs they were always about picking up deadline RW's and that's when you and your big brain would come in and say Boston ain't trading their 1st round picks FOR ANYTHING... Hey, remember how much you value your super late 1st round picks and super late 2nd round picks? How are you responding to this ludacris trade by the Bruins? Are you okay? Your team might just win the Stanley Cup, but boy! You'll sure miss the incredibly valuable draft picks!
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 2:46 p.m.
Banned

RIGHT like you call everything and know everything, impressive...
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 2:46 p.m.
And immediately he’s on the bruins IR
Goavs141 and ZiggyPalffy liked this.
Feb. 21, 2020 at 2:47 p.m.
Quoting: Bf3351
You should get your memory checked. I never traded Backes in any of my ACGMs they were always about picking up deadline RW's and that's when you and your big brain would come in and say Boston ain't trading their 1st round picks FOR ANYTHING... Hey, remember how much you value your super late 1st round picks and super late 2nd round picks? How are you responding to this ludacris trade by the Bruins? Are you okay? Your team might just win the Stanley Cup, but boy! You'll sure miss the incredibly valuable draft picks!

Never said that. My memory is just fine. Lol

And I’m happy with the trade. As I said called it a month ago when talking with Duck fans. 🤷🏻‍♂️

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit