Forums/Armchair-GM

Get Simon out of town before he ruins another run Sully will play him

Created by: Nights_King93
Team: 2019-20 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 22, 2020
Published: Feb. 22, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I was at today's game. Outside of bad turnovers and the team not waking up for 15 minutes. This was a striking issue. Zucker and Sid were fighting. They were making good plays. Who is left open? Simon. Simon proceeds to stick handle his way out of scoring range or he misses the net. When he does well.. He puts a weak wrist shot right in the emblem. What does Sully do? He moves Zucker down to the Blueger line and leaves Simon up there. If there were ever a moment for Jim to realize Sully will never pick the right lines with this player on the roster... Today was that moment.

Rust could have been bumped up to the top line and his preferred spot on the RW. Horny could have been bumped up to the top line and Rust could still go back to RW. Simon could move to LW on Malkin's line even in that scenario. But instead of getting our best goal scorer back on his comfortable wing... Sully insists on Simon staying on unit one and bumping Zucker down... The guy we just traded our best D prospect and a first for.

I think the only way to fix this terrible judgment is to trade the guy, even though he is probably a serviceable middle six wing.

This goes back to our quest for a 3peat. Simon had no shot, surprise surprise, but he also committed huge turnovers. Anyone else remember that god awful penalty in the offensive zone in the first period of game 5, i believe it was... He takes a late penalty in a really good period for the Pens and the Caps immediately score and flip the momentum of the game. I'm done with him and Sully bumping Zucker today before him was the last straw for me.
Trades
PIT
  1. 2020 4th round pick (EDM)
NYR
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (PIT)
  2. 2021 5th round pick (PIT)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$72,774,125$132,500$3,832,500$8,725,875
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the New York Rangers
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$874,125$874,125
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 22, 2020 at 8:24 p.m.
You were at the game?! Wow. I bet Jim Rutherford was at Denny's. That's why you know more than the hall of fame GM.
Feb. 22, 2020 at 8:28 p.m.
Quoting: DonkeyLips
You were at the game?! Wow. I bet Jim Rutherford was at Denny's. That's why you know more than the hall of fame GM.

I go to about ten games a year... If you honestly believe that Simon deserves top line minutes over Rust, Hornqvist, or even giving a guy like Tanev some time out there, you are misguided. I won't respond to a snarky comment.

I have a good background and education. Some coaches play their favorites far too often. They literally can't make the right call sometimes. Not their fault. But it is time for JR to tell Sully he is wasting the roster that was constructed or just trade the guy that rarely gets bumped down.

Do you really think Zucker should be relegated to the "Buzzsaw line" over Simon?
Feb. 22, 2020 at 8:29 p.m.

Unrelated but is your pic John Candy?
Feb. 22, 2020 at 8:33 p.m.
Quoting: Scoob1978
Unrelated but is your pic John Candy?

No. My pic is donkeylips.
Feb. 22, 2020 at 8:51 p.m.
Quoting: Nights_King93
I go to about ten games a year... If you honestly believe that Simon deserves top line minutes over Rust, Hornqvist, or even giving a guy like Tanev some time out there, you are misguided. I won't respond to a snarky comment.

I have a good background and education. Some coaches play their favorites far too often. They literally can't make the right call sometimes. Not their fault. But it is time for JR to tell Sully he is wasting the roster that was constructed or just trade the guy that rarely gets bumped down.

Do you really think Zucker should be relegated to the "Buzzsaw line" over Simon?

You already responded. Even when you said you wouldn't.

I go to 1 game a year to see the Charlestown chiefs. I have a bad background and am poorly educated.

But I did see how well the geuntzel-crosby-simon line played when all were healthy. If Simon allows Crosby to be at his best, then he should be there. I trust a two time Stanley cup winning coach and a hall if fame GM way more than some rando that sits in nosebleed seats 10 times a year.
Feb. 22, 2020 at 9:03 p.m.
You already responded. Even when you said you wouldn't.

I go to 1 game a year to see the Charlestown chiefs. I have a bad background and am poorly educated.

But I did see how well the geuntzel-crosby-simon line played when all were healthy. If Simon allows Crosby to be at his best, then he should be there. I trust a two time Stanley cup winning coach and a hall if fame GM way more than some rando that sits in nosebleed seats 10 times a year.

I wasn't going negative. I was stating rationale and making my point. I don't sit in the nosebleeds. Sully got handed a great situation. I like him, but he has flaws. He got thoroughly outcoached by Trotz last year. When Brock Nelson and Jordan Eberle look better than Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. You were outcoached. 4-0 was embarrassing. The team can't do that again. By all indicators, JR is all in this season. Anything less than the 3rd round is a failure when you don't have a 1st and a 2nd round pick.

Sully was upset after the game today. He should be. But he needs to share some of the blame. Zucker should never get bounced before Simon. He definitely did not deserve it today.
Feb. 22, 2020 at 9:08 p.m.
When people say that Sullivan is a good coach I lol.

It's not quite at the point of saying that the Pens win in spite of him, but the certainly don't win because of him.
Nights_King93 and pharrow liked this.
Feb. 22, 2020 at 9:17 p.m.
Quoting: Yojimbo

It's not quite at the point of saying that the Pens win in spite of him, but the certainly don't win because of him.

If that were true they would have won under Mike Johnson.
Feb. 22, 2020 at 10:12 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Yojimbo

his inability to adjust has cost this team cups. I was shocked he changed the system this year. But even that can't prevent Letang and Schultz from turning the puck over repeatedly.
The biggest issue right now is injury. 1/3 of the skaters are out. WTF does this poster think is going to happen. They got a 4th line of pure AHL talent. And the blue line is a mess with 1/2 the top 4 out.

Here are just some facts for the OP.
The fastest way to slow down the Crosby or Malkin line is to put Hornqvist on it.
They refuse to give Tanev more ice time because they want him in a defensive role. Honestly, they should put him with Crosby at this point.
That gives you Rust on Malkin's wing where he is more suited to play. And Simon.
I don't know what else you are going to do with those pieces. It is what it is.

'm not going to defend Simon because I don't think he belongs on the ice either. However, they don't have anyone else. But I do think Simon will be a better player next year actually. If he isn't spending the whole off season working on his shot, he should be left in the AHL. That's the only thing really holding him back. Although I hope they bring in Poulin next year and are done with this mess.
Feb. 22, 2020 at 10:23 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
his inability to adjust has cost this team cups. I was shocked he changed the system this year. But even that can't prevent Letang and Schultz from turning the puck over repeatedly.
The biggest issue right now is injury. 1/3 of the skaters are out. WTF does this poster think is going to happen. They got a 4th line of pure AHL talent. And the blue line is a mess with 1/2 the top 4 out.

Here are just some facts for the OP.
The fastest way to slow down the Crosby or Malkin line is to put Hornqvist on it.
They refuse to give Tanev more ice time because they want him in a defensive role. Honestly, they should put him with Crosby at this point.
That gives you Rust on Malkin's wing where he is more suited to play. And Simon.
I don't know what else you are going to do with those pieces. It is what it is.

'm not going to defend Simon because I don't think he belongs on the ice either. However, they don't have anyone else. But I do think Simon will be a better player next year actually. If he isn't spending the whole off season working on his shot, he should be left in the AHL. That's the only thing really holding him back. Although I hope they bring in Poulin next year and are done with this mess.

Hornqvist presents a better shot and netfront presence. A nice little shot at me.. But you agree for the most part. I don't think Patric is the answer either, but he would be better than Simon. I think you also agree that bumping Zucker down to line three was a joke.

I would put Horny or Tanev up with Sid and Zucker over simon 8 days of the week. Tanev might fit perfectly. May as well try it if we aren't going to make a trade. That Buzzsaw line is off until ZAR is back anyways.
Feb. 22, 2020 at 10:34 p.m.
Banned
Hornqvist presents a better shot and netfront presence. A nice little shot at me.. But you agree for the most part. I don't think Patric is the answer either, but he would be better than Simon. I think you also agree that bumping Zucker down to line three was a joke.

I would put Horny or Tanev up with Sid and Zucker over simon 8 days of the week. Tanev might fit perfectly. May as well try it if we aren't going to make a trade. That Buzzsaw line is off until ZAR is back anyways.

hornqvist is to slow. He makes those lines useless. They want to play with speed. Which is why he puts Simon there. I don't know what he has against putting Tanev there. I can't account for his horrible thinking. But this team has so many injuries right now. It's biggest issue is not having an actual blueline that isn't on IR.
Feb. 22, 2020 at 11:20 p.m.
L take tbh, Simon usually goes into the corners and fights for pucks more and such better than most, where you don't want Crosby and good concussions going, not to mention he has a really great neutral zone play, and is always open for that perfect Crosby pass, yeah he just can't finish most of the time, but I'd rather him have the puck on his stick than Tanev who can't handle pucks, and Hornqvist is never open like Simon, he's just battling in front of the net 99.9% of the time
Feb. 23, 2020 at 12:12 a.m.
Quoting: AFOX10900
L take tbh, Simon usually goes into the corners and fights for pucks more and such better than most, where you don't want Crosby and good concussions going, not to mention he has a really great neutral zone play, and is always open for that perfect Crosby pass, yeah he just can't finish most of the time, but I'd rather him have the puck on his stick than Tanev who can't handle pucks, and Hornqvist is never open like Simon, he's just battling in front of the net 99.9% of the time

I just disagree. Simon has one of the worst shots in the league.. Buffalo took Sid and Zucker away today and let Simon wide open repeatedly. That is a problem. The analytics don't mean a darn thing if you are that terrible of a shot. The analytics on shot performance show the Simon is the worst on the team.. Worse than ZAR.

Simon gets pushed off the puck. Simon stick handles for no reason 4-5 times a game.. Those boost his analytics on possession, but it means nothing if it leads to an offside or losing offensive zone time.

Simon might be the worst RW the Pens have given Sid of alltime.
Feb. 23, 2020 at 1:53 a.m.
GM67
I completely agree that Simon MUST GO!!! Everything you said was spot on. He ruins everything with his wasteful stick handling.
Nights_King93 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2020 at 10:37 a.m.
I just disagree. Simon has one of the worst shots in the league.. Buffalo took Sid and Zucker away today and let Simon wide open repeatedly. That is a problem. The analytics don't mean a darn thing if you are that terrible of a shot. The analytics on shot performance show the Simon is the worst on the team.. Worse than ZAR.

Simon gets pushed off the puck. Simon stick handles for no reason 4-5 times a game.. Those boost his analytics on possession, but it means nothing if it leads to an offside or losing offensive zone time.

Simon might be the worst RW the Pens have given Sid of alltime.

Those don't boost his analytics btw, you actually have to make a play and shoot the puck to have your analytics boosted, and what do you mean by unnecessary stickhandling, I really don't see much where he stickhandles himself into trouble, usually he gets it out of a corner and to Crosby or Zucker or Letang or whoever that pointman is on his side for a give and go/high cycle (that's what absolutely killed DET, and he does it to perfection) and come on, you can't say he's worse than Conor Sheary lmao, he didn't do anything, he had a slightly below average shot, and nothing else was near as good as Simon, you can also at least get fair value back for a "young serviceable middle 6 winger" (see Coleman, Kase trades)
Feb. 23, 2020 at 10:55 a.m.
Quoting: AFOX10900
Those don't boost his analytics btw, you actually have to make a play and shoot the puck to have your analytics boosted, and what do you mean by unnecessary stickhandling, I really don't see much where he stickhandles himself into trouble, usually he gets it out of a corner and to Crosby or Zucker or Letang or whoever that pointman is on his side for a give and go/high cycle (that's what absolutely killed DET, and he does it to perfection) and come on, you can't say he's worse than Conor Sheary lmao, he didn't do anything, he had a slightly below average shot, and nothing else was near as good as Simon, you can also at least get fair value back for a "young serviceable middle 6 winger" (see Coleman, Kase trades)

I think there is an analytic formula that just takes in time of possession.. But. I see him pushed off of pucks in the corner as often as he makes a play, particularly against very physical teams. There is a reason Sid is quiet against the Bruins and Caps a lot. Sid used to destroy the Caps and hasn't been doing so as often as in the past.

Sheary had worn out his time, but don't forget that goal run he went on during 2016, before Jake came around. It was marvelous and he was a big reason that team won the cup. I don't see Simon doing that.

I should say it was marvelous compared to what he did the next two years... But 4 goals and 6 assists isn't bad for a rookie. A couple of those goals came at huge moments
Feb. 23, 2020 at 11:19 a.m.
I think there is an analytic formula that just takes in time of possession.. But. I see him pushed off of pucks in the corner as often as he makes a play, particularly against very physical teams. There is a reason Sid is quiet against the Bruins and Caps a lot. Sid used to destroy the Caps and hasn't been doing so as often as in the past.

Sheary had worn out his time, but don't forget that goal run he went on during 2016, before Jake came around. It was marvelous and he was a big reason that team won the cup. I don't see Simon doing that.

I should say it was marvelous compared to what he did the next two years... But 4 goals and 6 assists isn't bad for a rookie. A couple of those goals came at huge moments

There's no analytics formula that takes into account toa, it would be extremely helpful if there was, but idk what you expect vs Tom Wilson or Zdeno Chara in the corners, any player on PIT is gonna lose in a puck battle against them 99 times out of 100

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll