Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs need grit and leadership

Created by: MNBassman
Team: 2019-20 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 23, 2020
Published: Feb. 23, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Marcus Foligno is the perfect player to fix the Leafs...so they need to pay a premium to get him!
Trades
MIN
  1. Räsänen, Eemeli [Reserve List]
  2. 2021 1st round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Foligno, Marcus ($1,400,000 retained)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$71,253,591$0$1,100,000$10,246,409
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 3
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,625,000$1,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, C
RFA - 1
$1,487,500$1,487,500
C
UFA - 2
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$916,666$916,666 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
UFA - 4
$2,166,667$2,166,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
UFA - 2
$5,187,500$5,187,500
RD
NMC
UFA - 1
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 23, 2020 at 10:56 a.m.
Mods have power egos
Great trade what a waste of time you trash players are worth nothing you’ll be lucky to get a 3rd for foligno
Feb. 23, 2020 at 11:00 a.m.
Yes the Minnesota players scream leadership and grit with all their winning habits
Feb. 23, 2020 at 11:06 a.m.
MNBassman
Quoting: Boomer125
Yes the Minnesota players scream leadership and grit with all their winning habits

The Wild have 3 fewer wins in 3 fewer games played than the Leafs who have twice as much talent!
Feb. 23, 2020 at 11:08 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: MNBassman
The Wild have 3 fewer wins in 3 fewer games played than the Leafs who have twice as much talent!

Did you just forget the whole Babcock saga? Kinda difficult to argue record when the first quarter is tainted.

And I find it funny that the leafs losing badly to the only team in the league who uses analytics as much as the leafs do has people saying that we need LESS analytics and not more.

It's almost like people are trying to spin their own bull**** narratives around this.
Feb. 23, 2020 at 11:14 a.m.
MNBassman
Quoting: Random2152
Did you just forget the whole Babcock saga? Kinda difficult to argue record when the first quarter is tainted.

And I find it funny that the leafs losing badly to the only team in the league who uses analytics as much as the leafs do has people saying that we need LESS analytics and not more.

It's almost like people are trying to spin their own bull**** narratives around this.

Can you dumb that down for me??? I have no idea what you are saying.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 23, 2020 at 11:15 a.m.
14m in dead cap

Which advanced statistic measures shots against a 42 year old zamboni driver that works for your organization? Asking for a friend.
MNBassman and OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 23, 2020 at 11:25 a.m.

CAR uses analytics more, and better, iirc Tulsky made some basic level analytics with just publicly available data, now with all the extra data he has, I'd imagine he has done some pretty amazing stuff, and I know that pretty much what he says goes in that organization, while Dubas has picked up some analytical black holes in Barrie and signing Ceci
MNBassman and OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 23, 2020 at 11:39 a.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: NYRxLundqvist
Great trade what a waste of time you trash players are worth nothing you’ll be lucky to get a 3rd for foligno

Foligno is not trash. The return here is optimistic but he is exactly the kind of player Leafs need.

Quoting: Boomer125

Wild are a team greater than the sum of their parts Leafs are a team less than the sum of their parts
Foligno is a leader but it's his defensive awareness, grit and energy that Leafs need most.

What is the difference in record since the coaching change? I know you had a initial turnaround, but lately the results look the same as the beginning of the season.

Leafs currently have a guy named Clifford who plays a similar role as Foligno, but the national guys on the NHL radio network are in complete agreement that the Leafs need more guys like Clifford.
BLIvingston33 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 23, 2020 at 11:49 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Paul13
Foligno is not trash. The return here is optimistic but he is exactly the kind of player Leafs need.

Wild are a team greater than the sum of their parts Leafs are a team less than the sum of their parts
Foligno is a leader but it's his defensive awareness, grit and energy that Leafs need most.

What is the difference in record since the coaching change? I know you had a initial turnaround, but lately the results look the same as the beginning of the season.

Leafs currently have a guy named Clifford who plays a similar role as Foligno, but the national guys on the NHL radio network are in complete agreement that the Leafs need more guys like Clifford.

The first thing you learn about Toronto is to ignore the media entirely. Clifford is also good analytically. And I don't know the exact record, but they've been one of the best teams in the league since the coaching change, even with the slumps.

Quoting: AFOX10900
CAR uses analytics more, and better, iirc Tulsky made some basic level analytics with just publicly available data, now with all the extra data he has, I'd imagine he has done some pretty amazing stuff, and I know that pretty much what he says goes in that organization, while Dubas has picked up some analytical black holes in Barrie and signing Ceci

Barrie was alright analytically, Kerfoot was the main return on the Kadri trade and he is an analytical darling, and Ceci was the cost of dumping zaitsev.

Quoting: JayTea
Which advanced statistic measures shots against a 42 year old zamboni driver that works for your organization? Asking for a friend.

Carolinas ability to shut down a team, which would be breakups/60, xGA, etc.

Yes I do know this wasn't a serious question, but car played a phenomenal game.

Your title is that we need grit and leadership. We lost to the only team in the league who relies on analytics as much if not more than Toronto does. That would suggest analytics is the way to go, not back to old school hockey.

And you argue that MIN's record isn't much worse than Toronto's while ignoring the fact the leafs were tanking the first quarter of the season under Babcock. When a sample size is as tainted as that, it isn't a legitimate form of criticism. Look at the leafs since the coaching change, they've been one of the best teams in the league even with various slumps.
Dan10900 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2020 at 11:52 a.m.

Barrie was alright analytically, Kerfoot was the main return on the Kadri trade and he is an analytical darling, and Ceci was the cost of dumping Zaitsev.

Barrie is worse than marincin analytically, Kerfoot isn't anything special, he had one really good defensive year last year, but every other year in his career he's been basically average, Kadri was an analytical darling, he has fallen off a bit recently tho, and you didn't have to sign Ceci, you could have let him walk after arbitration
Feb. 23, 2020 at 12:00 p.m.
Edited Feb. 23, 2020 at 12:18 p.m.
The first thing you learn about Toronto is to ignore the media entirely. Clifford is also good analytically. And I don't know the exact record, but they've been one of the best teams in the league since the coaching change, even with the slumps.

Barrie was alright analytically, Kerfoot was the main return on the Kadri trade and he is an analytical darling, and Ceci was the cost of dumping zaitsev.

Your title is that we need grit and leadership. We lost to the only team in the league who relies on analytics as much if not more than Toronto does. That would suggest analytics is the way to go, not back to old school hockey.

And you argue that MIN's record isn't much worse than Toronto's while ignoring the fact the leafs were tanking the first quarter of the season under Babcock. When a sample size is as tainted as that, it isn't a legitimate form of criticism. Look at the leafs since the coaching change, they've been one of the best teams in the league even with various slumps.

It’s 23-13-4. Wild in the last 40 games are 22-13-5. Leafs are one point better under Keefe. Wild started the season 1-8, worse start than Toronto too.
OutCold13 and MNBassman liked this.
Feb. 23, 2020 at 12:26 p.m.
MNBassman
Foligno is a helluva lot more than just grit! Do some research on him, watch him - he’s a very underrated player and would stand up to the Leafs’ bevy of softies without hesitation.
Feb. 23, 2020 at 12:30 p.m.

Barrie is worse than marincin analytically, Kerfoot isn't anything special, he had one really good defensive year last year, but every other year in his career he's been basically average, Kadri was an analytical darling, he has fallen off a bit recently tho, and you didn't have to sign Ceci, you could have let him walk after arbitration

Put everything aside and the Kadri wasn't moved for Barrie or Kerfoot, Kadri was moved because he was suspended in back to back playoff series, he had a M NTC, Kadri and his agent did not want to leave TO, hand in a no team trade list of Anaheim, Minnesota, New Jersey, etc (teams with Defensemen the Leafs would want and Kadri would have the value to aquire) your left with what Dubas was able aquire (his hands were to a large degree tied, and everything about the Leafs cap situation and needing a RHD to play minutes they did pretty well in Aquiring Barrie at 50% retained along with Kerfoot which has when used in the spot as Kadri has been fine.

Ceci Dubas could of absolutely walked away from, but given the timeframe and available RHD I can't say any other gm would have walked away either (given TOs up front line up), he clearly miss read that scenario but not directly tied to Ceci's play, Ceci did not cause this lazy Im not feeling it tonight play.

Foligno is exactly the type of player TO should aquire, but in no way will they over pay with a first
Feb. 23, 2020 at 12:31 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming

Would like to know which model has marmar over Barrie. Marmar is an analytical darling (for a 7th dman anyway) because he is a low end Hjalmarsson (terrible with the puck but good at breakups) but there is little if any evidence he was grading out better than Barrie.

Kerfoot had 2 good years (not including this because it hasn't ended yet), and both of those years were his 1st and 2nd line the league. I think you may be thinking of another player here lol.

The way ARB works is you are forced to sign him if it was under 4.7 or something like that, but if we went to ARB he could have gotten a 2nd year at a higher aav. The myth we could have walked is totally unfounded.

Quoting: BLIvingston33
It’s 23-13-4. Wild in the last 40 games are 22-13-5. Leafs are one point better under Keefe. Wild started the season 1-8, worse start than Toronto too.

You are intentionally tanking (or supposed to be anyway) and you are on a hot streak. Wait until the new coach shine wears off, you'll come down a bit.
Feb. 23, 2020 at 12:35 p.m.
Would like to know which model has marmar over Barrie. Marmar is an analytical darling (for a 7th dman anyway) because he is a low end Hjalmarsson (terrible with the puck but good at breakups) but there is little if any evidence he was grading out better than Barrie.

Kerfoot had 2 good years (not including this because it hasn't ended yet), and both of those years were his 1st and 2nd line the league. I think you may be thinking of another player here lol.

The way ARB works is you are forced to sign him if it was under 4.7 or something like that, but if we went to ARB he could have gotten a 2nd year at a higher aav. The myth we could have walked is totally unfounded.

You are intentionally tanking (or supposed to be anyway) and you are on a hot streak. Wait until the new coach shine wears off, you'll come down a bit.

We’re 2-1 with the new coach LOL. We were on a hot streak with Boudreau. You’re saying the Leafs are better but you have one more point than a team intentionally tanking? Something is wrong there.
Feb. 23, 2020 at 12:42 p.m.
Dont worrie this guy is just pissed off his so talented team cant beat a zamboni driver.
Feb. 23, 2020 at 12:48 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
We’re 2-1 with the new coach LOL. We were on a hot streak with Boudreau. You’re saying the Leafs are better but you have one more point than a team intentionally tanking? Something is wrong there.

The whole point of my comment was that under babs we were unintentionally tanking for the 1st quarter of the season and that is throwing our record off. I am glad you got it rolling eyes
Feb. 23, 2020 at 1:18 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
"Marcus Foligno is the perfect player to fix the Leafs...so they need to pay a premium to get him!" Really? Foligno has won one playoff game in seven full years in the NHL. Leadership and grit?
Feb. 23, 2020 at 1:21 p.m.
MNBassman
Quoting: palhal
"Marcus Foligno is the perfect player to fix the Leafs...so they need to pay a premium to get him!" Really? Foligno has won one playoff game in seven full years in the NHL. Leadership and grit?

Look at the crappy teams he has played on! Wow, Palhal, you’re a lot smarter than this!! Foligno is everything a team like the Leafs need...sans maybe a RHD.
I expect more out of you...
Feb. 23, 2020 at 1:45 p.m.

RAPM, takes into account QoT and QoC, obv sample size for him, but still...
Fine using a three year sample size, he was average this year and the year before last, but was amazing defensively last year, I was just assuming he wasn't much better his first few years lol, I did not know that about arb. As far as I was aware if you didn't want to pay the guy his arb number you could let him walk to UFA no matter the arb $
Feb. 23, 2020 at 2:26 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

Don't worry -- neither does he.
MNBassman liked this.
Feb. 23, 2020 at 2:31 p.m.
The whole point of my comment was that under babs we were unintentionally tanking for the 1st quarter of the season and that is throwing our record off. I am glad you got it rolling eyes

Okay I took that part out of your record and took out the same amount of games from the Wild’s record. You’re 1 point better in the same amount of games compared to a team you say is tanking.
MNBassman liked this.
Feb. 23, 2020 at 2:34 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

Toronto's record first 20 games = 9-7-4
Toronto's record last 20 games*=9-8-3

*through game 61
MNBassman liked this.
Feb. 23, 2020 at 4:39 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Toronto's record first 20 games = 9-7-4
Toronto's record last 20 games*=9-8-3

*through game 61

Now go from the coaching change
Feb. 23, 2020 at 4:39 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Okay I took that part out of your record and took out the same amount of games from the Wild’s record. You’re 1 point better in the same amount of games compared to a team you say is tanking.

*Supposed to be*
Boudreau was doing very well with your roster. Still have no idea why they fired him.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll