Forums/Armchair-GM

Something might be cooking in Guerins kitchen

Created by: TanSor
Team: 2019-20 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 23, 2020
Published: Feb. 23, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Guerin called up Mayhew and Belpedio today in light of the Kunin and Soucy injuries. The report was that "Mayhew and Belpedio won't play tonight 'unless something happens' which may mean if #mnwild sit somebody as trade deadline precaution". Well, newest report is "AHL guys to start", so something must be happening.
Trades
MIN
    Likely Trocheck and an add
    MIN
      Guessing Guerin wants Necas but if there's a deal I highly doubt Necas is involved, so maybe something like Suzuki and Toronto's 1st with possibly an additional piece.
      CAR
        Brodin or Dumba
        Buyouts
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MIN
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        21$81,500,000$68,561,924$0$1,100,000$12,938,076
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the Minnesota Wild
        $7,538,462$7,538,462
        LW
        NMC
        UFA - 6
        $1,625,000$1,625,000
        C
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $6,000,000$6,000,000
        RW, LW
        NMC
        UFA - 5
        $700,000$700,000
        C, RW
        UFA - 2
        $4,900,000$4,900,000
        LW, C, RW
        UFA - 1
        $3,000,000$3,000,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 2
        $2,875,000$2,875,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 2
        $1,487,500$1,487,500
        C
        UFA - 2
        $1,900,000$1,900,000
        LW, C, RW
        UFA - 2
        $916,666$916,666 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $5,500,000$5,500,000
        C
        NMC
        UFA - 1
        $1,900,000$1,900,000
        C, RW
        UFA - 2
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $7,538,462$7,538,462
        LD
        NMC
        UFA - 6
        $6,000,000$6,000,000
        RD
        UFA - 4
        $2,166,667$2,166,667
        G
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $700,000$700,000
        RD
        UFA - 1
        $5,187,500$5,187,500
        RD
        NMC
        UFA - 1
        $785,000$785,000
        G
        UFA - 3
        $700,000$700,000
        LD/RD
        UFA - 2
        $2,250,000$2,250,000
        RD
        UFA - 2
        ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
        $2,000,000$2,000,000
        C
        UFA - 3
        $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
        RW, C
        RFA - 1
        $750,000$750,000
        LD/RD
        UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 2:42 p.m.
        v5 CBJ GM
        Why is Koivu on the fourth line
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 2:42 p.m.
        Sam
        Hopefully they announce a trade during the game. That’ll fire me up
        TanSor liked this.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 2:43 p.m.
        Quoting: MaxDomi13

He's played on the 4th line nearly the whole year this year
        zk97 and Kailorhall21 liked this.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 2:49 p.m.
        That tweet was about Mayhew and Belpedio being sent down to Iowa tomorrow morning to be eligible for AHL playoffs. They'll be recalled again tomorrow afternoon. Basically, he was saying they are "AHL guys to start" the day tomorrow.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 2:53 p.m.
        Quoting: BoredWildFan
        That tweet was about Mayhew and Belpedio being sent down to Iowa tomorrow morning to be eligible for AHL playoffs. They'll be recalled again tomorrow afternoon. Basically, he was saying they are "AHL guys to start" the day tomorrow.

Yes, I get that, but they are playing tonight and Russo said they wouldn't unless there's something happening...
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 2:56 p.m.
        14m in dead cap
        Quoting: TanSor
        Yes, I get that, but they are playing tonight and Russo said they wouldn't unless there's something happening...

Where did he say they're playing? If they do, that's 3 games in 3 nights since they just played back to backs in Texas.
        TanSor liked this.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 2:57 p.m.
        Quoting: JayTea
        Where did he say they're playing? If they do, that's 3 games in 3 nights since they just played back to backs in Texas.

Feb. 23, 2020 at 2:57 p.m.

Who reported they were playing tonight? Russo hasn't. He tweeted he won't know the line-up until warm-ups.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 2:58 p.m.
        Quoting: BoredWildFan
        Who reported they were playing tonight? Russo hasn't. He tweeted he won't know the line-up until warm-ups.

I just quoted the tweet above. He said "AHL guys to start", which I interpreted as "Mayhew and Belpedio to start".
        JayTea liked this.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 2:58 p.m.
        14m in dead cap

I think he meant they're AHL guys to start the day tomorrow so they're eligible for the Calder Cup playoffs. Strangely worded tweet though.
        BoredWildFan and TanSor liked this.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 3:05 p.m.
        Quoting: JayTea
        I think he meant they're AHL guys to start the day tomorrow so they're eligible for the Calder Cup playoffs. Strangely worded tweet though.

Maybe you and @BoredWildFan are right, but it seems odd to me to even call them up if you're just going to scratch them, then send them back to Iowa tomorrow, and then call them back up unless there's a trade cooking and they are actually playing.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 3:05 p.m.
        Once a Kings Fan Too
        The current standings table is always deceiving because teams in contention for the same places have rarely played the exact same number of games. When Minnesota plays tonight, the Wild will be one of the three final teams to complete 61 games. (The other two are the Islanders and Pittsburgh.) At that point, the two wild-card teams (Calgary and Winnipeg) had 68 points. If Minnesota wins tonight, they would have 67. So I think Guerin is likely to be making a "hockey trade," not a futures trade (like the Zucker move was, essentially). Just my two cents.
        TanSor and OutCold13 liked this.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 3:07 p.m.
        Quoting: MaxDomi13

He's been there since he returned from whatever injury he had earlier this year. He hasn't been very good this year. His last couple games hes looked better at least.
        TanSor and OutCold13 liked this.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 3:07 p.m.
        Quoting: OldNYIfan
        The current standings table is always deceiving because teams in contention for the same places have rarely played the exact same number of games. When Minnesota plays tonight, the Wild will be one of the three final teams to complete 61 games. (The other two are the Islanders and Pittsburgh.) At that point, the two wild-card teams (Calgary and Winnipeg) had 68 points. If Minnesota wins tonight, they would have 67. So I think Guerin is likely to be making a "hockey trade," not a futures trade (like the Zucker move was, essentially). Just my two cents.

I agree, although I think Guerin realizes this team isn't good enough to truly be a contender. Our beat writer has said he's looking to make significant moves with guys like Parise, Koivu (who has since said he wouldn't waive his NMC), Brodin, Dumba, and Foligno all on the table. You don't look to move those players unless you're planning on missing the playoffs.
        OutCold13 and OldNYIfan liked this.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 3:13 p.m.
        Hockey Fan13
        I thought it was odd the Wild brought Belpedio up. I thought Menell was first man up. I assume that means Dumba is possibly moving?
        TanSor liked this.
        14m in dead cap
        Maybe you and @BoredWildFan are right, but it seems odd to me to even call them up if you're just going to scratch them, then send them back to Iowa tomorrow, and then call them back up unless there's a trade cooking and they are actually playing.

I'm sure you're right that the intent was to have them in case a deal gets done before the game starts, but I wouldn't think something is imminent I guess. Definitely the time of year to wonder what exactly every tweet means if it's not 100% clear. lol
        TanSor and OldNYIfan liked this.

With Kunin and Soucy injured, Billy needed to recall a couple players. He wouldn't be doing his job if he let the team go into the game without a healthy body or two in the pressbox.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 3:18 p.m.
        Quoting: Paul13
        I thought it was odd the Wild brought Belpedio up. I thought Menell was first man up. I assume that means Dumba is possibly moving?

Listening to Russo's podcast now, sounds like Guerin doesn't want to move a D with Soucy out and the team being close to a playoff spot unless they are absolutely blown away by an offer. Russo hinted that Necas might be the only guy for them that would fit that criteria, but before Pesce was injured last night he has been told by multiple sources in Carolina that there is almost no circumstance that they'd be willing to trade Necas. He also said that could change with Pesce's injury, but it depends on how bad the injury is and he isn't sure if Waddell would be willing to move someone as talented as Necas just to give them more help to make the playoffs (he also hinted that it's possible there would be financial benefits for the Canes to make the playoffs and he isn't sure if that could influence their decision to acquire a top D).
        OutCold13 and OldNYIfan liked this.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 3:19 p.m.

Call them up just in case you need them. The Wild have had a bunch of guys miss games because there is some illness floating around the locker room that just won't go away. The TDL is a consideration too. They could just want to see if Belpedio is ready or not for the NHL.

It'll give the AHL guys a nice little boost in their paycheck even if they don't play. Better to have the guys if you need them, than need them and not have them.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 3:32 p.m.
        I agree, although I think Guerin realizes this team isn't good enough to truly be a contender. Our beat writer has said he's looking to make significant moves with guys like Parise, Koivu (who has since said he wouldn't waive his NMC), Brodin, Dumba, and Foligno all on the table. You don't look to move those players unless you're planning on missing the playoffs.

I just think he is looking at all options. If you look at that group is a rental (bad year), 2 x rental+1 (having great years), a significant long term cap hit (good year, but old), and a guy that's having a bad year.

Dumba/Brodin being on the table is partially due the the expansion draft next year. With Soucy playing so well we have another Brodin, Dumba, Spurgeon, Scandella type of situation going on with the d-corps.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 4:32 p.m.
        Once a Kings Fan Too

I just heard that Brett Pesce is out long-term, perhaps all the way until the start of the playoffs, so maybe the Hurricanes have an interest in Dumba. If so, Guerin ought to make them take Rask back.
        TanSor liked this.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 4:42 p.m.
        I just heard that Brett Pesce is out long-term, perhaps all the way until the start of the playoffs, so maybe the Hurricanes have an interest in Dumba. If so, Guerin ought to make them take Rask back.

Sounds like Guerin won't make a move unless it's for a top line center and I (understandably) don't see Carolina moving Aho, which leaves Necas. IF (and this is a massive if) Waddell calls Guerin and says "alright, we need help on defense. We'll give you Necas if we can have our pick of Dumba or Brodin", I think Guerin makes the trade, even if we have to take a cap dump coming back. Really the only way I think they actually move him is if it's what Russo said: there is pressure from the Canes' owner to make the playoffs this year and get home ice advantage, as there is obviously a large financial benefit from hosting playoff games. I mean if it's me and I'm Waddell, I still don't move Necas even for a superb defenseman like Brodin, but if there's pressure maybe Waddell cracks. It will be an interesting 24 hours to say the least...
        OldNYIfan liked this.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 4:48 p.m.
        Once a Kings Fan Too
        Sounds like Guerin won't make a move unless it's for a top line center and I (understandably) don't see Carolina moving Aho, which leaves Necas. IF (and this is a massive if) Waddell calls Guerin and says "alright, we need help on defense. We'll give you Necas if we can have our pick of Dumba or Brodin", I think Guerin makes the trade, even if we have to take a cap dump coming back. Really the only way I think they actually move him is if it's what Russo said: there is pressure from the Canes' owner to make the playoffs this year and get home ice advantage, as there is obviously a large financial benefit from hosting playoff games. I mean if it's me and I'm Waddell, I still don't move Necas even for a superb defenseman like Brodin, but if there's pressure maybe Waddell cracks. It will be an interesting 24 hours to say the least...

I think Waddell and Brind'Amour take Brodin because he can play both sides and what will they do with Hamilton, Pesce and Dumba all healthy next year? Plus Dumba will cost more than just Necas, I think.
        TanSor liked this.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 4:52 p.m.
        I think Waddell and Brind'Amour take Brodin because he can play both sides and what will they do with Hamilton, Pesce and Dumba all healthy next year? Plus Dumba will cost more than just Necas, I think.

I actually think Brodin is the more valuable piece in a trade. Dumba has had quite the down year and while he has a good reason (tore his pec last year), it's still a concern for teams. But I agree, Brodin is more of what they need in terms of on-ice product and they still need another top 4 LD even when Hamilton and Pesce return. I'm starting to wonder more and more if Waddell pulls the trigger. The playoff race is tight out east and Carolina has a game in hand and is only 3 points back from the Flyers to secure 3rd in their division.
        OldNYIfan liked this.
        Feb. 23, 2020 at 4:53 p.m.
        Man I think Necas is going to be really good. Intriguing player but I just don’t see how the canes could fit Brodin or dumba in since their top 4 is already so deep

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll