Forums/NHL Trades

(OTT/NYI) - Pageau for 2020 1st, 2020 2nd, conditional 2022 3rd

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 24, 2020 at 3:29 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: punchmaster11
Unless the Islanders can resign Pageau, this is an overpay. While Dorian is still not a great GM, he got a really good return for an impending UFA.

$5 million US for 6 years.

How do you feel now?
Feb. 24, 2020 at 3:30 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
$5 million US for 6 years.

How do you feel now?

Sens weren't willing to go to 5x5. I would not have signed this contract. I hope Pageau can live up to it though.

I'm very happy with how this worked out for Ottawa.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 4:19 p.m.
Quoting: Hockeylover360
Isn’t Kreider a winger?

He plays both.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 4:35 p.m.
Crazy Penguins Fan
How do you feel now?[/quote]
Feb. 24, 2020 at 4:55 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: pharrow
a 2nd and 3rd.
I mean really you have to consider where he's coming from.
OTT gets what would be role players on other teams to rack up points because there is no one else there to do it.
Someone has to net some points. So his numbers are inflated. Much like Dzingle was last year. He went to CBJ and didn't look close to the part then went to CAR and hasn't either.
You'd have a hard time convincing me he's even worth the 2nd and a 3rd at this point because he's a player of circumstance.
He goes on a good team, he's little more than a role player. Just go look at his history as a player. He hasn't really done anything worth that. His best year other than this year is 3 years ago at 19 goals other than that he's been basically nothing. I can't believe they gave him 5 million a year. Would you give a guy with that player history 5 million a year?
He's like a 12-15 goal scorer on a good team. That's not what you fork a ton over for.

He's been a good 2nd/3rd/4th liner his whole career. And he's a good 2-way player, too. I agree the contract isn't great but I'd say he's worth at least a 2nd+3rd ... a 1st, 2nd, AND conditional 3rd is an overpayment, though, in my opinion.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 6:58 p.m.
The Isles needed a 3C and they got one of the best. The Isles likely make the playoffs, so I don't think OTT gets a high pick here. The Isles don't LOSE this trade.

However, Ottawa wins this trade. If Pageau left for nothing, that would have been bad. Now they get presumably two quality prospects for him.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 7:16 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
Clear win for OTT, but the fact that this was a sign-and-trade makes it more worth it for NYI than it would be otherwise.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 8:34 p.m.
I don't get why people think this is an absolute steal for OTT. This is basically picks #23 and #54 (approximately) for one of the best #3C, that NYI really needed, in a seller's market. I think people have a hard time evaluating the value of late first (20+). There really isn't a big value difference between the prospects you can get in the 20-45 range. I'm sure if this trade was for 2 2nd (let's say #34 and #40, essentially the same value), people would call it a fair trade, like it is. Don't get me wrong, this is a good return for OTT, but if I was a NYI fan, I wouldn't mind this trade at all.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 8:53 p.m.
Am Yisrael Chai
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
Credit to Pierre Dorion. This is a great deal for Ottawa.

God damn I will miss Pageau, but if he was asking for 5x5 there was no way they could sign him.

NYI is getting a great player. He plays Barry Trotz Hockey, and he's a legend in the Playoffs. Great add. He plays Ovechkin super hard, so look out for that if they meet in the playoffs.

How Truer words have never been spoken.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Aug. 19, 2020 at 1:15 a.m.
Quoting: Stanley_Cup_To_Manhattan
How Truer words have never been spoken.

I haven't been able to watch much of that series, but I remember Ovi absolutely hated that matchup. I remember one game Ovi took like 3 cross checking penalties because Pageau just stuck to him like they were attached at the hip. Completely neutralized him.

It's been so great to see the legend of Playoff Pageau grow, even if it's not with Ottawa. Dude is so unbelievably clutch, like a modern day Joel Ward.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 10:31 a.m.
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
I haven't been able to watch much of that series, but I remember Ovi absolutely hated that matchup. I remember one game Ovi took like 3 cross checking penalties because Pageau just stuck to him like they were attached at the hip. Completely neutralized him.

It's been so great to see the legend of Playoff Pageau grow, even if it's not with Ottawa. Dude is so unbelievably clutch, like a modern day Joel Ward.

I saw pageau a couple times vs the bruins when he was with the sens. He is incredibly underrated in the defensive zone. He added a scoring touch this year which might be a fluke but he is incredible at the gritty things that you want other teams to not have. backchecks well, forechecks well, can win faceoffs effectively and you can put him against anyone and he will be pretty effective in shutting them down.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 1:32 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: hanson493
I saw pageau a couple times vs the bruins when he was with the sens. He is incredibly underrated in the defensive zone. He added a scoring touch this year which might be a fluke but he is incredible at the gritty things that you want other teams to not have. backchecks well, forechecks well, can win faceoffs effectively and you can put him against anyone and he will be pretty effective in shutting them down.

And he's a +9 in 9 games this playoff.
Oct. 30, 2021 at 6:40 p.m.
sensonfire
If I was a GM of another team, I would have only offered a 2nd and a conditional 3rd that could have turned into another 2nd.

This is over the top.

Ottawa wins.
Oct. 30, 2021 at 8:54 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: sensonfire
If I was a GM of another team, I would have only offered a 2nd and a conditional 3rd that could have turned into another 2nd.

This is over the top.

Ottawa wins.

NYI get a top 6 Center and Ottawa gets nothing (so far). NYI win right now.
Oct. 30, 2021 at 9:50 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
NYI get a top 6 Center and Ottawa gets nothing (so far). NYI win right now.

A 1st and a 2nd in a deep draft is nothing??

Then, why doesn't Montreal just trade away their firsts and seconds for future considerations?
Oct. 31, 2021 at 11:26 a.m.
WentWughes
A 1st and a 2nd in a deep draft is nothing??

Then, why doesn't Montreal just trade away their firsts and seconds for future considerations?

It means nothing if you don't develop them into valuable NHL players. As of right now, Ottawa hasn't done that so NYI Win.
Oct. 31, 2021 at 12:34 p.m.
sensonfire
It means nothing if you don't develop them into valuable NHL players. As of right now, Ottawa hasn't done that so NYI Win.

Alright then.

So, Columbus gets the 25th overall pick from the last draft and a 4th next year for Nick Foligno.

But Columbus isn't any better at developing prospects than Ottawa is.

And so, according to your logic, those picks are nothing.

This would mean that Toronto fleeced Columbus, not the other way around.

Were you one of those 15 people that voted for Toronto?

Or were you one of the hundreds of people that voted for Columbus?

Comment #7, 19, 25, 62, 74, 88, 96, 97, 106, and 107 should give you a hint.

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/439452/1

Also, thank you for being a good boy and liking comment #40

You're not being honest.

At all.
Oct. 31, 2021 at 1:22 p.m.
WentWughes
Alright then.

So, Columbus gets the 25th overall pick from the last draft and a 4th next year for Nick Foligno.

But Columbus isn't any better at developing prospects than Ottawa is.

And so, according to your logic, those picks are nothing.

This would mean that Toronto fleeced Columbus, not the other way around.

Were you one of those 15 people that voted for Toronto?

Or were you one of the hundreds of people that voted for Columbus?

Comment #7, 19, 25, 62, 74, 88, 96, 97, 106, and 107 should give you a hint.

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/439452/1

Also, thank you for being a good boy and liking comment #40

You're not being honest.

At all.

Again there's context. I'm sure at this point you're trolling, I sure as hope you're not this dumb.

Nick Foligno scored a grand total of 5 points for Toronto before leaving for Boston. Toronto paid those picks for 11 NHL games and 5 NHL points. These situations are nowhere near similar.

I really hope you aren't actually this dumb.
Oct. 31, 2021 at 1:42 p.m.
sensonfire
Again there's context. I'm sure at this point you're trolling, I sure as hope you're not this dumb.

Nick Foligno scored a grand total of 5 points for Toronto before leaving for Boston. Toronto paid those picks for 11 NHL games and 5 NHL points. These situations are nowhere near similar.

Again there's context.

I'm sure at this point you're trolling.

I sure as hope you're not this dumb.

Columbus got nothing.

Because the picks are nothing.

You said it yourself.

If the picks from the Pageau trade are nothing, then the picks from the Foligno trade are nothing as well.

You can't have it both ways.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit