Forums/Armchair-GM

WTF is this

Created by: matulix
Team: 2019-20 Tampa Bay Lightning
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 24, 2020
Published: Feb. 24, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
We have acquired Barclay Goodrow and a 2020 third round draft pick (previously acquired from Philadelphia) from San Jose in exchange for a 2020 first round pick and Anthony Greco.
Trades
TBL
  1. Goodrow, Barclay
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (PHI)
SJS
  1. Greco, Anthony
  2. 2020 1st round pick (TBL)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$81,500,000$83,128,331$0$1,180,000-$1,628,331
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$8,500,000$8,500,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 5
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
UFA - 8
$4,450,000$4,450,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$6,750,000$6,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,166,666$5,166,666
C, LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 6
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$833,333$833,333
C
UFA - 1
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 7
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$1,300,000$1,300,000
RD
UFA - 1
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
$697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$147,500$148K)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 24, 2020 at 4:49 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Better than Goodrow for a first straight up, that's what it is.
hanson493 liked this.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 4:49 p.m.
I want Yzerman back
hanson493 liked this.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 4:50 p.m.
I thought that was weird too. I had to double check on Goodrow, just in case he was having a monster year and I missed it.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 4:51 p.m.
Log off the internet
At least we got a 3rd..?
Feb. 24, 2020 at 4:51 p.m.
Banned
Greco is a huge loss to TB. Playoffs ruined they will never recover
Feb. 24, 2020 at 4:52 p.m.
What in tarnation
Last year Brisebois didn't do anything by the deadline.

This year he's done nothing but overpaid for assets...
Feb. 24, 2020 at 4:52 p.m.
GO BOLTS
We do not have one of our first picks in our lineup since SY took over. We have many second and third so maybe it is ok.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 4:53 p.m.
Plus it's not even a 3rd from SJ but from PHI
matulix liked this.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 4:55 p.m.
Stamkos>Tavares
We have Detroit’s 4th round pick and two 3rd rounders that’s good value gonna end up getting 3 choices within 20 spots
Feb. 24, 2020 at 4:56 p.m.
Win the cup and it doesn't matter, but man they got hosed
Feb. 24, 2020 at 4:58 p.m.
Pretty sure the fact that he has another year at $925000 is why they gave up a first, same reason they did with Coleman.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 5:01 p.m.
I'm happy to have Goodrow on our team. I just think 1st round is too much lol. I know we have bad history with 1st round picks and pretty good in 2nd and later rounds, but still...
Feb. 24, 2020 at 9:00 p.m.
Is this an overpay, yes, however the term at 925k is crucial for next year. Tampa will recoup one of the firsts with Killorn imo and they have had many more hits in the middle rounds than the 1st anyway. Ultimately a very late 1st, even in a deep draft, would not have helped for 3 years most likely. Tampa knows the window to win is now, not neccesarily in 3 or 4 years. The only thing I wish JBB had pushed for was either San Jose's likely early 3rd or Colorado's later 2nd rather than Philly's mid to late 3rd.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 12:55 a.m.
Go Boltz! & Go Avs!
Edited Feb. 25, 2020 at 1:05 a.m.
Quoting: JTBF81
Is this an overpay, yes, however the term at 925k is crucial for next year. Tampa will recoup one of the firsts with Killorn imo and they have had many more hits in the middle rounds than the 1st anyway. Ultimately a very late 1st, even in a deep draft, would not have helped for 3 years most likely. Tampa knows the window to win is now, not neccesarily in 3 or 4 years. The only thing I wish JBB had pushed for was either San Jose's likely early 3rd or Colorado's later 2nd rather than Philly's mid to late 3rd.

Why cannot we get Thornton then? Or dump salary or anything? Tampa Bay Lightning was on his trade list...
It would be still a bad trade, but without him. It's insane...
He better shutdown Ovechkin or Pasternak in the playoffs... Or if we make the finals:the whole Vegas Golden Knights team or MacKinnon or Jamie Benn... or the whole freakin St. Louis Blues team, if they make the finals 2 times in a row by some miracle... Tarasenko will be back by then, if we also make it... Crosby's team is deadly as well...if they healthy...

I don't even know if it's still worth it, let's see: 6.25% that we win the cup

We are 2 times better than lots of other teams. Let's make it 15% just for the sake of it...
Almost 1 out of 7 times it works... great trade...

But if you don't believe basic math:
I use:hockey-reference.com
They predict Tampa Bay Lightning win cup: 11.1% right now so that's 1 in 9... The odds are not on BriseBois's side... even though i think if we can avoid Washington/Philly/St. Louis we might win it.
But i'm biased. The math is not biased. It always works...
Odds makers never make mistakes, otherwise they just lose a lot of money.
So it's 1 in 9 we get lucky.... great trade... With his help we better kill 90% !!! penalties in the playoffs... what we had last playoffs, like 50%? LUL

Digest this: Tampa Bay Lightning Stanley-Cup contender 50% PK in the playoffs in 2018/2019... no wonder we got swept... Toronto was 2nd worst with 56%....

Goodrow "the Franchise Savior" Let's go!

Carolina only got Skjei,Vatanen,Trocheck.... lmao... now we have to be afraid from that team as well... they can win with a Zamboni driver you know vs top atlantic team Toronto...
Trocheck is hard to play against... those defenders are almost both top-tier...

This is BriseBois worst move by far, regardless of cup or not... at least he costs us 0$ for 2020/2021, oh well...
Other problem, he forgot to address D-man issues:
Coburn = new grandpa Girardi and almost always injured... or tired if he has to play lots of games...
Schenn = AHL level - free 0.5 goals/game to opponents for no reason by giveaways...
Rutta = still sux hard, just like Koekoekk in Chicago...
Others : injury prone ( see Hedman last year's playoffs)
McDonagh(aging and injured but at least he provides stability)
Cernak ( down year)

So with all these issues about our D, we have to rely on godtier Vasi + forwards coming backcheking and blocking shots in every single playoffs game...
We could do it for 1-2 months in reg season ... But in playoffs = only good and strong teams = much harder to do same... Stamkos still can't defend... etc..

This trade helps in size & grit little... but it doesn't guarantee anything, as he can't even score 10 goals/season...
Yeah in a dream world we allow 2 goals/game and score 2.5 and we win the cup... but that's proved by the math only happens 1 in 9 cases... when the playoffs starts in april...

Why didn't we go allin on a D-man, where our issues lies. You really think Schenn/Rutta/Coburn will help us to achive 2.0 goals / game allowed? What's needed for a cup run ~ around...
Our goal scoring just disappears in the playoffs after a while... Or sometimes at the beginning...
Check series vs Columbus, Washington or Chicago... We need insane luck for this trade to be even bad...
But it's the worst trade of 2020 by a huge margin right now. Noone can defend this... cup or not... It's a panic move... and it's not a good one... and we missed out on Thornton...

We could've gotten Ennis,Grant,Namestnikov - Dillon,Demelo, Vatanen/Hamonic/Brodie/Scandella/Green/Greene for these 1st round picks... or any other good D-man... multiple combinations of these players... Or not get anyone if BriseBois can't work out a deal...

This together with the Coleman deal is insane, when Stephens played well... and others... If the Coleman deal not happend, then at least we got a good pick(the Van 1st rounder)...
Now we have nothing... past history doesn't matter in this case.. If we missed on 10 1st rounders in a row... we probably not miss the next 10... it's not a reason to trade away 1st round picks...
we needed help on D... BriseBois failed... Bogosian yeah... the injury plagued monster bust 1st round pick... now we must pray he is the best defender ever in multiple tough & physical series... all Buffalo fans are hating on him from the comments, just like they said on Rutta... they were right on Rutta...
Bogosian is not good... that's all we need to know about him... we needed a much better shutdown D-man, like Josh Manson from Anaheim Ducks... just give up anything they need 1st round + 2 prospects, whatever. At least he would've helped a lot... Bogosian+Goodrow combined... sure... i pray that they will have career playoffs... i pray for that 1 in 9... thanks BriseBois... looks like he is not as good as Yzerbro was...

Oh did i say Bogosian has drug problems, i read that somewhere...
Also, he doesn't even show up for the AHL team... contract terminated... great guy... just like Buff in winnipeg... Great...
Feb. 25, 2020 at 1:26 a.m.
Quoting: F3ruS
Why cannot we get Thornton then? Or dump salary or anything? Tampa Bay Lightning was on his trade list...
It would be still a bad trade, but without him. It's insane...
He better shutdown Ovechkin or Pasternak in the playoffs... Or if we make the finals:the whole Vegas Golden Knights team or MacKinnon or Jamie Benn... or the whole freakin St. Louis Blues team, if they make the finals 2 times in a row by some miracle... Tarasenko will be back by then, if we also make it... Crosby's team is deadly as well...if they healthy...

I don't even know if it's still worth it, let's see: 6.25% that we win the cup

We are 2 times better than lots of other teams. Let's make it 15% just for the sake of it...
Almost 1 out of 7 times it works... great trade...

But if you don't believe basic math:
I use:hockey-reference.com
They predict Tampa Bay Lightning win cup: 11.1% right now so that's 1 in 9... The odds are not on BriseBois's side... even though i think if we can avoid Washington/Philly/St. Louis we might win it.
But i'm biased. The math is not biased. It always works...
Odds makers never make mistakes, otherwise they just lose a lot of money.
So it's 1 in 9 we get lucky.... great trade... With his help we better kill 90% !!! penalties in the playoffs... what we had last playoffs, like 50%? LUL

Digest this: Tampa Bay Lightning Stanley-Cup contender 50% PK in the playoffs in 2018/2019... no wonder we got swept... Toronto was 2nd worst with 56%....

Goodrow "the Franchise Savior" Let's go!

Carolina only got Skjei,Vatanen,Trocheck.... lmao... now we have to be afraid from that team as well... they can win with a Zamboni driver you know vs top atlantic team Toronto...
Trocheck is hard to play against... those defenders are almost both top-tier...

This is BriseBois worst move by far, regardless of cup or not... at least he costs us 0$ for 2020/2021, oh well...
Other problem, he forgot to address D-man issues:
Coburn = new grandpa Girardi and almost always injured... or tired if he has to play lots of games...
Schenn = AHL level - free 0.5 goals/game to opponents for no reason by giveaways...
Rutta = still sux hard, just like Koekoekk in Chicago...
Others : injury prone ( see Hedman last year's playoffs)
McDonagh(aging and injured but at least he provides stability)
Cernak ( down year)

So with all these issues about our D, we have to rely on godtier Vasi + forwards coming backcheking and blocking shots in every single playoffs game...
We could do it for 1-2 months in reg season ... But in playoffs = only good and strong teams = much harder to do same... Stamkos still can't defend... etc..

This trade helps in size & grit little... but it doesn't guarantee anything, as he can't even score 10 goals/season...
Yeah in a dream world we allow 2 goals/game and score 2.5 and we win the cup... but that's proved by the math only happens 1 in 9 cases... when the playoffs starts in april...

Why didn't we go allin on a D-man, where our issues lies. You really think Schenn/Rutta/Coburn will help us to achive 2.0 goals / game allowed? What's needed for a cup run ~ around...
Our goal scoring just disappears in the playoffs after a while... Or sometimes at the beginning...
Check series vs Columbus, Washington or Chicago... We need insane luck for this trade to be even bad...
But it's the worst trade of 2020 by a huge margin right now. Noone can defend this... cup or not... It's a panic move... and it's not a good one... and we missed out on Thornton...

We could've gotten Ennis,Grant,Namestnikov - Dillon,Demelo, Vatanen/Hamonic/Brodie/Scandella/Green/Greene for these 1st round picks... or any other good D-man... multiple combinations of these players... Or not get anyone if BriseBois can't work out a deal...

This together with the Coleman deal is insane, when Stephens played well... and others... If the Coleman deal not happend, then at least we got a good pick(the Van 1st rounder)...
Now we have nothing... past history doesn't matter in this case.. If we missed on 10 1st rounders in a row... we probably not miss the next 10... it's not a reason to trade away 1st round picks...
we needed help on D... BriseBois failed... Bogosian yeah... the injury plagued monster bust 1st round pick... now we must pray he is the best defender ever in multiple tough & physical series... all Buffalo fans are hating on him from the comments, jsut like they said on Rutta... they were right on Rutta... Bogosian is not good... that's all we need to know about him... we needed a much better shutdown D-man, like Josh Manson from Anaheim Ducks.... just give up anything they need 1st round + 2 prospects, whatever. At least he would've helped a lot... Bogosian+Goodrow combined... sure... i pray that they will have career playoffs... i pray for that 1 in 9... thanks BriseBois... looks like he is not as good as Yzerbro was...

Great...

Tampa doesn't go for rentals, didn't under Yzerman and since JBB was his right hand man, philosophy remains the same. I don't care what Tampa's playoff stats were last year, that's old news. Yeah Carolina added a player in Vatanen who is hurt, a dman in Skeij that most Rangers fans thought was just meh and Trocheck who is having a horrible year. Your evaluation of Tampa's defensive situation is also laughable. Guys like Schenn, Coburn etc aren't going to be playoff regulars barring multiple injuries and Rutta has been very solid this year. Tampa will be stretched by the cap so they were never going to go all in on a dman that they likely couldn't resign next year anyway(Manson, Petry, Brodin etc). Tampa now has great depth on all 4 lines and several guys who can play that heavier game in the playoffs when less penalties get called. I would have rather kept the 1st but I have a feeling JBB made these moves already looking ahead to the summer and knowing some will get recouped when they trade one of the 4.5-5 million guys(most likely Killorn). These moves also help when Tampa loses role players this off season in order to still have quality depth and keep the key rfa's. The East is going to be very difficult with Tampa, Boston, Wash, Pittsburgh and others, but Tampa has put themselves in as good of a position as they can for the here and now. You mention that JBB isn't looking as good as Yzerman and ultimately that may be the case, but for as good as Yzerman was he made his share of questionable moves(too many ntc's for starters) and the team didn't win any Cups while he was GM.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 2:30 a.m.
Go Boltz! & Go Avs!
Edited Feb. 25, 2020 at 2:42 a.m.

Your evaluation of Tampa's defensive situation is also laughable. Guys like Schenn, Coburn etc aren't going to be playoff regulars barring multiple injuries and Rutta has been very solid this year.

Okay dude my evaluation are "laughable". SURE.
Then let's hear your evaluation about every tampa D-man... Then after the playoffs we come back here, and evaluate who were right.
Are you in?
If not , it's you, who are the laughable...

What are the chances that our whole D-core is injury free in 25 super phiysical games? Amount needed to win the cup?
Bank on it, that Schenn will play or Bogosian... and a lot...
Shattenkirk one hit from Wilson/Hayes etc... and he is down for the year...
Playoff hockey is hard hitting and 10 times mroe phiysical than almost 90% of reg season. Do you think Coburn will not play? Then who will play?
You are living in a dream world, if you think all our D-core will be fully healthy for all 25 games...
Oh yes, if we only play 10 games, they might be... but 10 not = 25.
That's why you need to forget abotu next season, when you go for it... Like SJ did... We needed Manson, who btw has 1 other year on his contract if i remember correctly... We also can just sign guys like Bogosian,Schenn,Shattekirk again in next offseason... Not worth to prepare this much for next year, when our goal = cup.
If we win the cup 1 of the next 2 years. BriseBois will still lose this 2 trades. It will just not feel bad... The Cup relieves the pain and every tampa fan will be happy then...

Rutta is solid yeah sure, then why were we bottom 5 defensively for half the year, when Rutta played... Looks like you have a short memory...
Can you check his stats from the Chicago days. What made Rutta good? I'm telling you, nothing.
He only "looks good", because he plays with a beast = Hedman.
Without Hedman or if Hedman is not there. He looks like a lost man out there. Searching for the puck, which is in the net more often, than not.
Looks like you're blinded by the 20 winning streak and you can't evaluate the players based on every game they played...
Schenn = just as bad as others told me
Rutta = same
Coburn = good season in 2018/2019 ----> horrible season in 2019/2020

Shattenkirk = every 1st line gives him trouble
Sergachev = yeah he is better than last year, but he is not suddenly the new Dougie Hamilton/Mark Girodano/Parayko/Pietrangelo/Hedman/Carlson/Josi etc... He still needs to learn a lot...
Cernak = unfortunately he has a slump = lots of other players have this on 2nd year) - we have to hope it's temporary- maybe the injury rest will be good for him, unfortunately if you look at his performance, he did not that many good things except playing 2 times more physical, than last year. His defensive errors were huge...

Nothing changed on the D-front: We need to rely on Hedman.
Hedman = super-sayian mode = we win
Hedman = out of form/ injured = we lose

It's playoffs time, not regular season 5-3 games...
Opponents top lines will expose every weakness, so i hope at least Goodrow/Coleman helps with that...

I watch other teams and our defense is still bad.
We improved on limiting high danger scoring chances. But it doesn't gurantee playoffs success vs top metro teams.
We struggle vs Philly,Carolina,Washington, and others...

In best case - theory our D-core:
Hedman-Rutta = medicore
McDonagh-Cernak = mediocre(in top form it would be good, but both out of form this season)
Serg-Shatty = good

We were 1 shutdown D-men away from being unstoppable. And unfortunately our GM failed to adress this...

Dillon would have helped a lot for super cheap price...
Manson/Brodin for expensive price...
Demelo = again super cheap and he had really good stats on a bad team...
Scandella = still not expensive = really good pickup for St. Louis
Greene = old but good shotblocker
Hamonic = good option
etc...

With the lots of injuries last few weeks perfect opportunity to get a reliable good shutdown D-man. Nope he got zero...
He got us instead Goodrow. I pray to god our PK in playoffs = 90%+...
There were lot of options for cheap, that's hurt the most and he did nothing... he got us Bogosian... ...enjoy his injuries... im sure you will...
Shattenkirk worked out... not everyone will work like him though... i never heard anyone saying any good thing abour Bogosian, except that he uses drugs... good player i'm sure... Shattenkirk = i remember him when he played in St. Louis ages ago= he was quite good, so im not surprised he is still not that bad... he is a good 3rd pairing D, that's for sure...

If we lose in the playoffs, don't blame it on GM or Rutta/Schenn/Coburn/Bogosian or others, blame it on Cooper...
Feb. 25, 2020 at 6:44 p.m.
Quoting: F3ruS
Okay dude my evaluation are "laughable". SURE.
Then let's hear your evaluation about every tampa D-man... Then after the playoffs we come back here, and evaluate who were right.
Are you in?
If not , it's you, who are the laughable...

What are the chances that our whole D-core is injury free in 25 super phiysical games? Amount needed to win the cup?
Bank on it, that Schenn will play or Bogosian... and a lot...
Shattenkirk one hit from Wilson/Hayes etc... and he is down for the year...
Playoff hockey is hard hitting and 10 times mroe phiysical than almost 90% of reg season. Do you think Coburn will not play? Then who will play?
You are living in a dream world, if you think all our D-core will be fully healthy for all 25 games...
Oh yes, if we only play 10 games, they might be... but 10 not = 25.
That's why you need to forget abotu next season, when you go for it... Like SJ did... We needed Manson, who btw has 1 other year on his contract if i remember correctly... We also can just sign guys like Bogosian,Schenn,Shattekirk again in next offseason... Not worth to prepare this much for next year, when our goal = cup.
If we win the cup 1 of the next 2 years. BriseBois will still lose this 2 trades. It will just not feel bad... The Cup relieves the pain and every tampa fan will be happy then...

Rutta is solid yeah sure, then why were we bottom 5 defensively for half the year, when Rutta played... Looks like you have a short memory...
Can you check his stats from the Chicago days. What made Rutta good? I'm telling you, nothing.
He only "looks good", because he plays with a beast = Hedman.
Without Hedman or if Hedman is not there. He looks like a lost man out there. Searching for the puck, which is in the net more often, than not.
Looks like you're blinded by the 20 winning streak and you can't evaluate the players based on every game they played...
Schenn = just as bad as others told me
Rutta = same
Coburn = good season in 2018/2019 ----> horrible season in 2019/2020

Shattenkirk = every 1st line gives him trouble
Sergachev = yeah he is better than last year, but he is not suddenly the new Dougie Hamilton/Mark Girodano/Parayko/Pietrangelo/Hedman/Carlson/Josi etc... He still needs to learn a lot...
Cernak = unfortunately he has a slump = lots of other players have this on 2nd year) - we have to hope it's temporary- maybe the injury rest will be good for him, unfortunately if you look at his performance, he did not that many good things except playing 2 times more physical, than last year. His defensive errors were huge...

Nothing changed on the D-front: We need to rely on Hedman.
Hedman = super-sayian mode = we win
Hedman = out of form/ injured = we lose

It's playoffs time, not regular season 5-3 games...
Opponents top lines will expose every weakness, so i hope at least Goodrow/Coleman helps with that...

I watch other teams and our defense is still bad.
We improved on limiting high danger scoring chances. But it doesn't gurantee playoffs success vs top metro teams.
We struggle vs Philly,Carolina,Washington, and others...

In best case - theory our D-core:
Hedman-Rutta = medicore
McDonagh-Cernak = mediocre(in top form it would be good, but both out of form this season)
Serg-Shatty = good

We were 1 shutdown D-men away from being unstoppable. And unfortunately our GM failed to adress this...

Dillon would have helped a lot for super cheap price...
Manson/Brodin for expensive price...
Demelo = again super cheap and he had really good stats on a bad team...
Scandella = still not expensive = really good pickup for St. Louis
Greene = old but good shotblocker
Hamonic = good option
etc...

With the lots of injuries last few weeks perfect opportunity to get a reliable good shutdown D-man. Nope he got zero...
He got us instead Goodrow. I pray to god our PK in playoffs = 90%+...
There were lot of options for cheap, that's hurt the most and he did nothing... he got us Bogosian... ...enjoy his injuries... im sure you will...
Shattenkirk worked out... not everyone will work like him though... i never heard anyone saying any good thing abour Bogosian, except that he uses drugs... good player i'm sure... Shattenkirk = i remember him when he played in St. Louis ages ago= he was quite good, so im not surprised he is still not that bad... he is a good 3rd pairing D, that's for sure...

If we lose in the playoffs, don't blame it on GM or Rutta/Schenn/Coburn/Bogosian or others, blame it on Cooper...

Tampa's defense is fine and tougher than you think. It was a fluke fall and a rocket from Malkin that hurt Rutta and McD. Rutta has been vastly improved this year and has been a very solid defensive dman on the right side. Granted having Hedman as a partner is quite nice, but Rutta has held his own just fine. McD and Cernak are still a good shutdown 2nd pair, Cernak slumped a bit in the 1st half but has lately found his game again. Sergachev has taken many steps forward this year and Shattenkirk , while not great defensively, is still fine on the 3rd pair. Many of the dmen you mentioned would've been fine, but JBB was not going to trade for a rental and the 2 or 3 main guys with term would've cost far too much and Tampa would not have been able to afford their cap hit next year without basically guaranteeing losing one of Serg or Cirelli, which is unacceptable.

Tampa's big problem lately in the playoffs has been a lack of offense in big moments, not terrible defense. Not looking at last year, every other big series before where Tampa lost was because the top 6 went silent and Tampa didnt have the depth scoring to save it. Tampa also didn't have the size and grit to p l.j a yh a more physical, punishing game when the refs swallow the whistles more. They have now addressed both and have an offense that is capable to win different ways. The price was high, but JBB recognized what he believed was the weakness that needed to be addressed.

I wish the pick Tampa got back was Colorado's 2md or San Jose's early 3rd, as the loss of 20-25 or ~35 picks would have been easier to digest than the ~50 pick drop it will be, but Tampa has done very well in the mid rounds finding gems and even in a deep draft like this one, with Tampa's pick being where it would have been, at best a 50/50 chance that player makes a meaningful contribution within 3 years. JBB will likely recoup assets anyway this summer so it's not as though Tampa won't get picks back. JBB is playing a game where he has given Tampa a better chance now while slightly mortgaging the future. He is also working on keeping the team a contender 3 years down the line which these moves also help with.

I have never been a big fan of Cooper, so if the Lightning fail again I am 100% behind his ouster. I believe he is a good coach but no longer necessarily the right fit for this team. I hope he proves me wrong but if not, if look at Gallant perhaps if he's still available. With yhe.moves JBB made, he has clearly signaled that the time is right now and so another failure should mean a coaching change and if then still no success, perhaps a change in GM as well.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 1:14 p.m.
Go Boltz! & Go Avs!
Edited Feb. 26, 2020 at 1:46 p.m.
Tampa's defense is fine and tougher than you think. It was a fluke fall and a rocket from Malkin that hurt Rutta and McD. Rutta has been vastly improved this year and has been a very solid defensive dman on the right side. Granted having Hedman as a partner is quite nice, but Rutta has held his own just fine. McD and Cernak are still a good shutdown 2nd pair, Cernak slumped a bit in the 1st half but has lately found his game again. Sergachev has taken many steps forward this year and Shattenkirk , while not great defensively, is still fine on the 3rd pair. Many of the dmen you mentioned would've been fine, but JBB was not going to trade for a rental and the 2 or 3 main guys with term would've cost far too much and Tampa would not have been able to afford their cap hit next year without basically guaranteeing losing one of Serg or Cirelli, which is unacceptable.

Tampa's big problem lately in the playoffs has been a lack of offense in big moments, not terrible defense. Not looking at last year, every other big series before where Tampa lost was because the top 6 went silent and Tampa didnt have the depth scoring to save it. Tampa also didn't have the size and grit to p l.j a yh a more physical, punishing game when the refs swallow the whistles more. They have now addressed both and have an offense that is capable to win different ways. The price was high, but JBB recognized what he believed was the weakness that needed to be addressed.

I wish the pick Tampa got back was Colorado's 2md or San Jose's early 3rd, as the loss of 20-25 or ~35 picks would have been easier to digest than the ~50 pick drop it will be, but Tampa has done very well in the mid rounds finding gems and even in a deep draft like this one, with Tampa's pick being where it would have been, at best a 50/50 chance that player makes a meaningful contribution within 3 years. JBB will likely recoup assets anyway this summer so it's not as though Tampa won't get picks back. JBB is playing a game where he has given Tampa a better chance now while slightly mortgaging the future. He is also working on keeping the team a contender 3 years down the line which these moves also help with.

I have never been a big fan of Cooper, so if the Lightning fail again I am 100% behind his ouster. I believe he is a good coach but no longer necessarily the right fit for this team. I hope he proves me wrong but if not, if look at Gallant perhaps if he's still available. With yhe.moves JBB made, he has clearly signaled that the time is right now and so another failure should mean a coaching change and if then still no success, perhaps a change in GM as well.

Oh yes, we agree on a lot of things, i know Rutta is better then in Chicago Blackhawks( + i just saw today Koekoekk and he played hopelessly like i expected vs Blues - he is still bad frown ), But will Rutta be better in the playoffs? VS top team's top lines in tryhard mode + physical style. Not reg-season style of soft games...
You cannot base your evaluation on those games future playoffs performances...
My answer: He will be not good "enough" for a cup run... i hope i'm wrong obviously... but the eyetest to me in hard-fought physical matches shows = he is not good.

I'm talking about playoffs hockey, where every small mistake = you lose 1 game most likely.
Do you understand the difference between Rutta playing good(from the eyetest) vs Ottawa/Anaheim/1 meaningless Colorado game(just random examples) vs when we meet Caps + Mr. Tom "publicenemy Nr. 1" Wilson + possible Perfection line vs Boston in 2nd round.

Also i heard New York Islanders plays dirty in the playoffs too, if we meet and their coach is Barry "godtier" Trotz, who outcoaching Cooper in latest years...
What if we meet Dallas Stars in the finals? Have you watched the games this year vs them. We looked uncomfortable out there. Result 0-2 sweep for them this year... They play dirty , like Radulov + Jamie Benn ( almost just got suspended for a dirty hit)
You see where i'm going with this. If we would've gotten a guy like Dillon. He would've helped us a lot on the D-men front or a guy like Josh Manson... some of our forwards were rookies i know... but u cant have every 12 forward perfect... so it's alright to get 2 heavy hitter forward, who good on the pk/checking/clutch moments/energizers...

So back to Rutta and the "Enforcer type guys & dirty physical teams"... They will just push him away from the middle or from the net and we allow 1+ goal for free...
But like a guy like Dillon, who is super physical and plays dirty and he pushes Kucherov to the ice and doesn't even get penalized for it? REFEREES are just plain r*tard*d in the playoffs. That's so bad for our team's long term success...

I just checked couple days ago the last 5-6 years overall points stats in reg season i wrote the stats in other post...
All teams almost has already!!! minimum 1 cup except Boston Bruins and Tampa Bay Lightning.
I wonder why? Oh yeah, because we never play like those teams together with boston... Boston is not that physical as other people say... they easily lost to Blues last year after easy 3 series...
Our tripping = penalty. Their Holding = game on... then eventually we lose... because 1 penalty / game = such a huge momentum change potentially and they allow every holding/interefence to go without punishment.
So that's why i'm starting to see the value in Goodrow the more days are passing since the trade happend. He will come handy in playoffs. But i feel our D-Core is just not good enough for a cup run ...
I wish Bogosian would be good, i wish man... other people call him = super trash in every forum i see.. it's not hopeful... but i'm still praying he will be "useful" in playoffs...

Anyways back to the Goodrow trade...
I wrote a long post about the 2 trades combined in other topic. And it comes out as a package deal:
middle 1st round + early 2nd round + early 2nd round for Coleman/goodrow package.
Not even that bad, if u analyze a little deeper. Between pick Nr 26th vs pick Nr 35th not much of a difference... Much smaller than pick Nr3 vs pick Nr 10...
But still both trades a big win for the other team... unless we win the cup in 2020 or in 2021 ( doubtful). Yes as a tampa fan i expect us to win it, but that's not the reality...

You always have to look it from a neutral perspective: Our D-Core has huge leaks = we have random chance of winning.(1 in 9 right now)
Yes i know, 10 games winning streak x 2 is a good sign for a cup win, but it's not a guarantee, when the referees will just take away their whistles and our team will have injury problems after 15 games in the playoffs...

Yes i know in theory we can get lucky, like last year's Boston and make the finals without playing "hard physical teams", where we have insane win %.
Like i have no doubt we win vs non-metro + non-central teams... or like the NYR/Panthers if they make it... we are king of the atlantic + we have like insane win % vs pacific teams... we are better than those teams.(usually they dont have a good goalie).Arizona has but they dont have elite forwards... kessel is regressing... hall = injury prone etc...

Other topic I wanna show you this list i made. In () are the expected playoffs results based on my calculations + season series + past history...
I watch often other games in the NHL as well... so i know every team basically... i know the main strength + weakness of every team...
If you think i'm wrong in any playoffs results, please share your thoughts.

Physicality list NHL 2019-2020:
01. STL(0-4)
02. Washington(2-4)
03. Dallas(4-3)
04. Columbus(4-2)
05. Philadelphia(3-4)
06. NYI(4-3)
07. Anaheim(4-0)
08. TBL
09. Boston(4-3)
10. LA(4-1)
11. Pittsburgh(4-3)
12. Colorado(4-3)
13. VGK(3-4)
14. Calgary(4-2)
15. Ottawa(4-0)
16. NYR(4-0)

Who is not on the list---> We probably win that series smile

So 03. Dallas(4-3) means = Dallas is 3rd most physical team in the NHL - and we will win the stanley cup finals 4-3 vs them.
You could ask? But why am i predicting a win---> when we went 0-2 this year vs dallas?
Because the west is a bloodbath, and they will be "beat up" in june.
They play a hard style of hockey... and they are not a young team... so by the time they make it to finals... they will be out of gas/lots of injuries/fatigue/focus problems...
They can't play super-sayian mode vs us like Columbus did last year in round 1 or what they did in the reg season this year... Example from last year:
fresh Columbus-Tampa 4-0
vs
tired Columbus-Boston 2-4

You could ask? But why will Tampa be fresh in the finals?
Because based on my predictions, we only make the finals , if we avoid the worst matchups(Washington-Philly-Islanders).
So if we avoid these teams, we will be fresh. And we probably lose vs these teams anyways... so not worth to calculate what happens when we play these teams...
Odds are, we are out... we will just get outgrinded... Only 2 players,Goodrow+Coleman probably doesn't help... need more...

Yes i wrote a 4-3 win over Islanders but that's probably just wishful thinking on my part... i hope they will fail to make the playoffs with some miracle... I just hope they will be tired from the defensive grind in 2020 may, if we meet them... Trotz!!! probably beats us... so that matchup is just probably bad... Cooper just can't find a new strategy, when we losing badly vs good defensive teams...

Here is my current Stanley-Cup finals + winner predictions:
East Washington Capitals
Vs.
West Vegas Golden Knights

Winner: Vegas Golden Knights

Dark Horse: flyers ( i want to avoid them 1st+2nd playoffs round like plague- so please no Pres trophy...)

Also before season i thought St. Louis Blues never doing a repeat run, but now i think they are playing super amazing hockey again. So back2back cup = possible.... Good for them,if they do it...

Currently i don't think my 2 fav teams are making it. Avs has too many injuries the whole year = gonna be even worse in playoffs = almost hopeless + non-elite goalies doesn't help them... and you already know why i don't predict Tampa in the finals... Although with luck we might be there. Fingers crossed wink
TBL vs VGK = would be amazing finals cheers
I would put Tampa currently only 4th favorite only. If we would've traded for a shutdown reliable D-man: I would have put tampa in 1st place = Top favourite

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll