Forums/NHL Trades

(VGK/CHI/TOR) - Subban, Demin for Lehner for Dzierkals

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 24, 2020 at 6:47 p.m.
AwesomeMatthews
I don't get this for the Leafs.
KennyBoi and rrgdsafgerwrgwr liked this.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 6:58 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
What's going on here? Toronto paid a first and a second for Freddie Andersen, and now Las Vegas is paying a similar second and Malcolm Subban for Robin Lehner? And since when is a fifth-round draft pick sufficient compensation for retaining $2.5 MM?
GenXHockey liked this.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 7:03 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: AwesomeMatthews
I don't get this for the Leafs.

Toronto got a 5th for taking on the 1.1 million cap hit. Johnsson is on LITR through the offseason so the Leafs had room to spare.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 7:07 p.m.
Nazaleaf
I'm thinking this has something to do with the LTIR situation. Maybe we needed more salary on board to maintain a high cap total.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 7:17 p.m.
Quoting: VGKforthecup
I appreciate you leafs - originally the trade involved a 2nd until you came along
THANKS

Still does though.
rrgdsafgerwrgwr liked this.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 7:36 p.m.
Banned
who do the leafs hate so much that they were willing to retain for VGK for nothing?
Feb. 24, 2020 at 8:16 p.m.
AwesomeMatthews
Quoting: thelastlongbow
I'm thinking this has something to do with the LTIR situation. Maybe we needed more salary on board to maintain a high cap total.

That 5th round pick doe to lol.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 8:23 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: thelastlongbow

You didn't have to add salary, more like you were able to.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Fleury is still the man in Vegas. I'm surprised that they added Lehner but yet I'm more surprised the Leafs took on more cap. They could have spent that in so many other places.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 1:41 a.m.
And there were people saying Dubarelli did nothing this TDL.......
habs_fan123 liked this.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 9:17 a.m.
Quoting: Nohate
Why did Toronto have to be in this trade

This trade was essentially the signal that let everyone know they weren't doing anything else. Dubas had a bit of cap space to work with til the end of the year because of the LTIR space, and they found a way to buy a pick for about $180k in cash. Weird to think, given the narrative around the team this year, that they would be essentially selling cap space for a pick at the end of the year, but here we are.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 9:18 a.m.
Quoting: Missouri
Fleury is still the man in Vegas. I'm surprised that they added Lehner but yet I'm more surprised the Leafs took on more cap. They could have spent that in so many other places.

The Leafs, after making no moves, have surplus cap space the rest of the year. I guess it's better than letting it go to waste.
Missouri liked this.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 9:20 a.m.
Vegas did pretty well here. I like Lehner, and I like that this team will be able to have two good goalies going into the stretch run. They did it while making the cap space work. A 2nd is actally a pretty hefty price for a rental goalie, there usually isn't that type of market for one, so Chicago did well too. Toronto got something for cap space they didn't use, so hard to really have an issue there either.

Pretty solid, and overly complicated, deal all around.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 9:25 a.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
What's going on here? Toronto paid a first and a second for Freddie Andersen, and now Las Vegas is paying a similar second and Malcolm Subban for Robin Lehner? And since when is a fifth-round draft pick sufficient compensation for retaining $2.5 MM?

The Leafs are retaining $1.1M in cap space, but that isn't really relevant. They paid about 180k in cash for a 5th. They aren't using all of their cap space this year.

Lehner is likely a pure rental for Vegas. Freddy was a 26 year old RFA who signed a 5 year extension. Also, the 1st Toronto gave up was already set, and it was the 30th selection, it wasn't much more valuable than a mid 2nd.

It seems like you really like to try and throw anything negative back at anything the Leafs do, but with so much ammunition to choose from, this is a a massive reach.
palhal liked this.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 10:06 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Danny12357
The Leafs are retaining $1.1M in cap space, but that isn't really relevant. They paid about 180k in cash for a 5th. They aren't using all of their cap space this year.

Lehner is likely a pure rental for Vegas. Freddy was a 26 year old RFA who signed a 5 year extension. Also, the 1st Toronto gave up was already set, and it was the 30th selection, it wasn't much more valuable than a mid 2nd.

It seems like you really like to try and throw anything negative back at anything the Leafs do, but with so much ammunition to choose from, this is a a massive reach.

You think I'm anti-Leaf? That's hilarious. Toronto stalwarts @palhal and @Jamiepo among several others would disagree with you.
GenXHockey and palhal liked this.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 10:15 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

@OldNYIfan is anything but a leaf hater... and I mean anything lol.
OldNYIfan and palhal liked this.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 10:23 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Looks like it was 1.1m retained, atleast how it shows on our cap. We are also using ltir so the benefits of pro rated salary aren’t There. AAlso a good way to open up relationships with western teams for trading further on down the road.

I see what happened. Chicago retained 50% and leafs retained another 50%.
palhal liked this.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 10:35 a.m.
You think I'm anti-Leaf? That's hilarious. Toronto stalwarts @palhal and @Jamiepo among several others would disagree with you.

I have no idea if you are anti-leaf or just pissed off about the current state of things. I am saying it's an awful big reach to try and compare the Andersen trade to the Lehner trade.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 10:37 a.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
Looks like it was 1.1m retained, atleast how it shows on our cap. We are also using ltir so the benefits of pro rated salary aren’t There. AAlso a good way to open up relationships with western teams for trading further on down the road.

I see what happened. Chicago retained 50% and leafs retained another 50%.

It was about 44% of the 50% that wasn't already retained. It was an overly complicated deal, but basically amounts to $180k in real cash for a 5th round pick. Once the Leafs decided to make no other trades, the cap space was just going to sit there. They had no other way to use it. It's about paying cash for a pick.

I don't know how much a 5th should be worth, but the cap space ends up essentially irrelevant, since it just expires at the end of the year.
GenXHockey liked this.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 11:01 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
It was about 44% of the 50% that wasn't already retained. It was an overly complicated deal, but basically amounts to $180k in real cash for a 5th round pick. Once the Leafs decided to make no other trades, the cap space was just going to sit there. They had no other way to use it. It's about paying cash for a pick.

I don't know how much a 5th should be worth, but the cap space ends up essentially irrelevant, since it just expires at the end of the year.

Yup, lots of teams Vegas could have went to. You don’t grind a gm and later it pays off.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 4:39 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
@OldNYIfan is anything but a leaf hater... and I mean anything lol.

Thanks. Now if the Elder Statesman of Georgian Bay would chime in . . .
GenXHockey liked this.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 4:57 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Lmfao...
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 5:04 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Lmfao...

For some reason, the word "whippersnapper" keeps occurring to me . . .
GenXHockey liked this.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 10:27 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

I thought the Leafs would have got more than a fifth rounder for that retention. But it isn't THAT much actual cap. It's just for seven weeks of the season.
OldNYIfan is a Leaf fan....how can there be any doubt.

Regarding the Leafs activities or lack of at TDL. Was any player available that would have the difference maker to make the Leafs THAT much better? Then you get other Leaf fans who thin any upcoming UFA has to be traded because you "can't let them walk". So their rationale is...keep missing the playoffs and collect those third round picks and then suddenly one year you are guaranteed to win the Cup so you don't trade your UFAs.
GenXHockey and OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 28, 2020 at 11:19 a.m.
Drumman44
Quoting: Nohate
Why did Toronto have to be in this trade

Because they love spending $1.1 million on a fifth round pick.
Marincin_memes liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit