Forums/Armchair-GM

Deadline Reactions

Created by: ForsbergForVezina
Team: 2019-20 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 24, 2020
Published: Feb. 24, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Today was fun honestly, player movement is the best.

I'm pretty neutral towards the Hawks moves. As a fan, I'm glad we kept Saad, I love that guy. I could see him being a long term piece or he gets moved at the draft. I'm fairly open to either option.

The Lehner and Gustafsson trades were definitely underpayments, but I understand why it had to be that way. Demin really doesn't look like anything special and any potential Subban had when he was drafted seems to be gone. I like the pick though, I'm a sucker for 2nd rounders.

I think at this point its top-3 pick or bust, which is gonna be tough because this team is scrappy as all hell and could make a run. But that said, the retool is progressing and that's a good thing
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$54,621,686$0$7,665,000$26,878,314
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 3
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,475,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3
$850,000$850,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,833$775,833 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 24, 2020 at 8:22 p.m.
Underwhelming return, it seems like Stan waited too long and had better offers on the table.
ChiHawk liked this.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 8:26 p.m.
idk, I think anybody in top 7 or 8 is gonna be top 5 talent in any other draft year. I dont think we are in that bad of a spot tbh. I think next year if dcat returns to form, strome improves, kubalik keeps going, we are in the mix for wildcard at the least
ChiHawk liked this.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 8:37 p.m.
Chicago
This was an embarrassing deadline. Getting a 2nd for Lehner is a joke. He's a top 10 G in the league, are we seriously getting a 2nd for him? Getting a 3rd for Gustafsson is a slap in the face after having a career season.
ChiHawk liked this.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 9:11 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: NickC1988
This was an embarrassing deadline. Getting a 2nd for Lehner is a joke. He's a top 10 G in the league, are we seriously getting a 2nd for him? Getting a 3rd for Gustafsson is a slap in the face after having a career season.

He's a rental goalie, I really wasn't expecting a ton in return. I guess now that we know what we're getting I'm a bit disappointed. Like I said, Demin doesn't jump off the screen at me.

Gus hasn't been good this year. Greene, Scandella and Dillon got 2nd round picks for their defense, which Gus just doesn't have. Hopefully we don't get Kempny-ed again
Feb. 24, 2020 at 9:20 p.m.
hawkman

His career year was last year , this year he has been horrible . I have watched pretty much every game so far , this year there are only two or three games that standout out to me where he had a great game . What does stand out in just about every other game is missed assignments in front of his net , misplaying the puck in the corner bad passes and getting caught pinching in to deep and giving up breakaways or two on ones constantly .
Feb. 24, 2020 at 9:20 p.m.
Chicago
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
He's a rental goalie, I really wasn't expecting a ton in return. I guess now that we know what we're getting I'm a bit disappointed. Like I said, Demin doesn't jump off the screen at me.

Gus hasn't been good this year. Greene, Scandella and Dillon got 2nd round picks for their defense, which Gus just doesn't have. Hopefully we don't get Kempny-ed again

Greene and Scandella can't do much defending, I can't believe Scandella is still in this league at this point. Gus is a PP QB, Carolina's is on IR, why they made a move for Vatanen instead is beyond me. Vatanen is not nearly the QB Gus is.

Gus should've been unloaded in the offseason anyways when you think about it. What did Bowman do to make this team better? Traded for Maatta (Yikes), traded for Nylander (A huge unknown), traded for De Haan (Good price, injury prone), traded for Smith (Overpaid PKer), and signed Carpenter. Why are we expecting a bunch of bottom 6 Fs and average D men were going to carry this team to a playoff spot? Bowman and co. had to know these moves wouldn't make this team a contender, with teams like STL adding Justin Faulk.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 9:22 p.m.
Chicago
Quoting: babouie
His career year was last year , this year he has been horrible . I have watched pretty much every game so far , this year there are only two or three games that standout out to me where he had a great game . What does stand out in just about every other game is missed assignments in front of his net , misplaying the puck in the corner bad passes and getting caught pinching in to deep and giving up breakaways or two on ones constantly .

He's a PP QB. Hell, San Jose was able to get a 2020 1st for Goodrow, a 4th liner. Sure they added a 3rd to incentivize, but a 1st is huge. Why Bowman didn't do that astounds me.
Feb. 24, 2020 at 10:26 p.m.
Chicago Blackhawks
I have been one of Stan Bowman's staunchest defenders, even in spite of some **** awful trades over time, but this year... Holy hell. After the unacceptable-even-under-the-best-of-circumstances Jokiharju trade, to his blatant bull**** about mishandling his two biggest assets at the deadline, and frankly being a C-U-NextTuesday about Lehner and that whole situation, I want his head on a bloody stake. I want his office cleared out, McDonagh fired out of a cannon, and their cars lit on fire for good measure.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 9:48 a.m.
Hawks Fan
Greene and Scandella can't do much defending, I can't believe Scandella is still in this league at this point. Gus is a PP QB, Carolina's is on IR, why they made a move for Vatanen instead is beyond me. Vatanen is not nearly the QB Gus is.

Gus should've been unloaded in the offseason anyways when you think about it. What did Bowman do to make this team better? Traded for Maatta (Yikes), traded for Nylander (A huge unknown), traded for De Haan (Good price, injury prone), traded for Smith (Overpaid PKer), and signed Carpenter. Why are we expecting a bunch of bottom 6 Fs and average D men were going to carry this team to a playoff spot? Bowman and co. had to know these moves wouldn't make this team a contender, with teams like STL adding Justin Faulk.

I hear you but on paper the team improved quite a bit (except the Nylander part). DeHaan and Maatta are upgrades, Smith was to get rid of Anisimov but he hasn’t been awful, Carpy is an excellent signing in my opinion.

The problem to me is that it didn’t translate on the ice. Which is Colliton’s fault. Look what Torts is doing with CBJ who are basically the Cleveland Monsters at this point. Colliton is not an NHL head coach. Fire him. Hire Gallant.
ForsbergForVezina liked this.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 5:14 p.m.
hawkman
Quoting: Jco5ta5
I hear you but on paper the team improved quite a bit (except the Nylander part). DeHaan and Maatta are upgrades, Smith was to get rid of Anisimov but he hasn’t been awful, Carpy is an excellent signing in my opinion.

The problem to me is that it didn’t translate on the ice. Which is Colliton’s fault. Look what Torts is doing with CBJ who are basically the Cleveland Monsters at this point. Colliton is not an NHL head coach. Fire him. Hire Gallant.
I absolutely agree that colliton has been a disaster . I firmly believe if the hawks had a great coach they would be in the playoffs . The loss of seabrook and dehaan was huge . Dehaan was playing very very well . And seabrook in a reduced role playing 8-12 minutes would have been a huge upgrade instead of having to play KKK , gilbert , seeler , carlsson ,
Jco5ta5 liked this.
Feb. 25, 2020 at 5:21 p.m.
hawkman
He's a PP QB. Hell, San Jose was able to get a 2020 1st for Goodrow, a 4th liner. Sure they added a 3rd to incentivize, but a 1st is huge. Why Bowman didn't do that astounds me.

You say why didn't STAN get a first . Obviously if anyone offered a first he would have taken it . So obviously he was not offered a first . The fact that GUS and Lehner were traded at three o'clock which is the deadline tells you he held out for the best offer he got and accepted it . At the end of last season in all my arm chair gm teams i was trading Gus ( one year wonder career year ) for a first and just about everyone on this board was ripping me claiming he was the next boy wonder
Feb. 25, 2020 at 7:07 p.m.
Chicago
Quoting: babouie
You say why didn't STAN get a first . Obviously if anyone offered a first he would have taken it . So obviously he was not offered a first . The fact that GUS and Lehner were traded at three o'clock which is the deadline tells you he held out for the best offer he got and accepted it . At the end of last season in all my arm chair gm teams i was trading Gus ( one year wonder career year ) for a first and just about everyone on this board was ripping me claiming he was the next boy wonder

Nobody was ripping me when I was doing them. Stan waited too long and got caught with his D*** in his hands.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 1:48 p.m.

My thinking to the Lehner trade as it seems evident he wasn’t signed to an extension in Vegas, is that he wants to be available July 1st ( what the market will bare). Any team in the league is not going offer their 1st and not get more than this remaining season back.

Let’s examine the recent 1st’s given up at this trade deadline.

#1 PENGUINS for Zucker. Zucker is with the Pens for 3 more seasons.
#2 LIGHTNING for Coleman. Coleman is with Tampa next season.
#3 BRUINS for for Kase. Kase is 24 (lots of upside), and has another year with the Bruins
#4 Islanders for Pageau. And for New York to give up the 1st Pageau agreed to an extension. 6 yrs.
#5 LIGHTNING for Goodrow (this trade is suspicious to me. Tampa gave up too much) Goodrow will be with the club next season.
#6 CANES for Skjei. Skjei will be with the Canes for 4 more seasons.

I aptly suggest there was no 1st available for the Hawks to have.

Gustafsson’s value deteriorated since October. The Blackhawks power play is why they aren’t in the playoff race. Gustafsson being the quarterback on the point has to shunt some of the clubs failure. Maybe he will flourish in Calgary. It remains to be seen. But I couldn’t see any team offering any pick higher than a third. This year he did not play well and the market bared it.
ForsbergForVezina liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll