SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

What Is Wrong With Mitch Marner

Mar. 6, 2020 at 12:08 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: MitchMarnerElite

Guys, Leafs writer Bill Comeau said that something is off about Mitch Marner’s stick work. Whenever he goes to receive the puck or attempts to maneuver past opponents, he tends lose his balance, fall down, fumble it & costs possession. This has made him largely ineffective in the play, sometimes a liability. What’d y’all think of this? Has this always been an issue in his game? Why could this be?

who
Mar. 6, 2020 at 12:27 p.m.
Kings v5 GM
@jack_ @Random2152 @Britishbulldog

Guys, Leafs writer Bill Comeau said that something is off about Mitch Marner’s stick work. Whenever he goes to receive the puck or attempts to maneuver past opponents, he tends lose his balance, fall down, fumble it & costs possession. This has made him largely ineffective in the play, sometimes a liability. What’d y’all think of this? Has this always been an issue in his game? Why could this be?

he might be injured. hes definitely not a a liability but he hasn't been as effective. I also believe he doesn't look as good because hes playing with matthews. everyone's comparing his play to last season where the majority of his points came off of crazy moves where he did a bunch of crap that resulted in JT being open back door for a tap in. now that hes up with matthews hes not being asked to do as much offensively. hes just got to make a relatively easy pass to matthews who is able to create his own space and take a good shot. They aren't using marners talent to his fullest potential with matthews. They are very good together but there isn't that much of a difference between marner there and nylander there. Its such a waste seeing marner make these simple passes when we know nylander can do the same and at the same time knowing marner would be so much better doing all these crazy things offensively to help JT who isn't as good at creating his own shots. To simplify everything I think its a waste of marners ability to have him with matthews when JT is much better with marner. The leafs goal should be to get the best out of their lines. JT+Nylander is very good but it could 100% be better. AM+Marner is very good but it could be better.

Im also a big believer in using a shutdown line/pair. if I were an opposing team I would love to have AM+MM together so they can do everything they can to shut them down and that leaves the bottom 9 a lot weaker then it would be if the 2nd line is AM+WN. Marners DZ coverage has always been very suspect but I trust him more then Nylander. Hyman/Mikheyev-Tavares-Marner gives them the best shut down line they would be able to assemble
Mar. 6, 2020 at 4:04 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Funny he just scored one of the prettiest goals of the season from his knees. He is agile and able to make moves even if it means dropping to knees. And again... is throwing up points at a crazy pace.... no issues here.
Mar. 6, 2020 at 4:15 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Jamiepo
Funny he just scored one of the prettiest goals of the season from his knees. He is agile and able to make moves even if it means dropping to knees. And again... is throwing up points at a crazy pace.... no issues here.

Personally I don't give a **** about points. His decision making has been atrocious all year long and it has been murdering so much opportunity for the Leafs both offensively and defensively. I try to be better than the media and not panic about things, so I am not ready to suggest that we NEED to trade Marner or anything crazy like that, but I am beginning to wonder if he is a good fit for this team's possession play style long term. Hopefully he bounces back next season and puts these issues to rest but if not we should consider moving him for a monster return.
oneX and Britishbulldog liked this.
Mar. 6, 2020 at 4:39 p.m.
V5 ANA and BOG

This is something that I've noticed too. The thing is, Marner isn't the greatest puck handler. When watching Matthews or even Nylander with the puck, there's smoothness in the way they handle it. They corral passes better and seem in control a lot more than Marner does. Something he should work on. His hands are very choppy.

Then again, he's still effective as anybody else in the league so it's not something to spend too much time worrying about. The goal he scored on Tuesday night is evidence.
Mar. 6, 2020 at 8:26 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Jack_
he might be injured. hes definitely not a a liability but he hasn't been as effective. I also believe he doesn't look as good because hes playing with matthews. everyone's comparing his play to last season where the majority of his points came off of crazy moves where he did a bunch of crap that resulted in JT being open back door for a tap in. now that hes up with matthews hes not being asked to do as much offensively. hes just got to make a relatively easy pass to matthews who is able to create his own space and take a good shot. They aren't using marners talent to his fullest potential with matthews. They are very good together but there isn't that much of a difference between marner there and nylander there. Its such a waste seeing marner make these simple passes when we know nylander can do the same and at the same time knowing marner would be so much better doing all these crazy things offensively to help JT who isn't as good at creating his own shots. To simplify everything I think its a waste of marners ability to have him with matthews when JT is much better with marner. The leafs goal should be to get the best out of their lines. JT+Nylander is very good but it could 100% be better. AM+Marner is very good but it could be better.

Im also a big believer in using a shutdown line/pair. if I were an opposing team I would love to have AM+MM together so they can do everything they can to shut them down and that leaves the bottom 9 a lot weaker then it would be if the 2nd line is AM+WN. Marners DZ coverage has always been very suspect but I trust him more then Nylander. Hyman/Mikheyev-Tavares-Marner gives them the best shut down line they would be able to assemble

Yes I agree. Marner was mainly the puck carrier with JT but now playing with AM, doesn’t have it as much. I think it’s because AM is bigger, faster & a better skater than JT therefore he possesses it more easily. JT does more off the puck work to get goals & make plays. I definitely think Marner is a better fit with JT & Nylander is better with Matthews. One thing I’ve noticed is that Marner doesn’t go into the corner to fight for the puck this season. It’s probably cuz they have Hyman & Matthews on a line who both do that.
Mar. 6, 2020 at 8:29 p.m.
Banned

Quoting: Random2152
Personally I don't give a **** about points. His decision making has been atrocious all year long and it has been murdering so much opportunity for the Leafs both offensively and defensively. I try to be better than the media and not panic about things, so I am not ready to suggest that we NEED to trade Marner or anything crazy like that, but I am beginning to wonder if he is a good fit for this team's possession play style long term. Hopefully he bounces back next season and puts these issues to rest but if not we should consider moving him for a monster return.

Yes I agree, his decision making has been so questionable this season it’s frustrating to watch him. So many times he gives up the puck trying to make an extra move or pass, other times he just shoots it straight into the opposing team’s players’ legs. Given his hands, vision & agility, I think Marner should fare well in any puck possession system. But it seems to me he is not very strong at sustaining offensive zone pressure. Not sure why that is perhaps he is too small, keeps getting knocked off stride & gives up possession. I’m not sure if he’s capable of bouncing back he looks like he’s playing with zero confidence. A change of scenery may benefit both him & the Leafs.
Britishbulldog liked this.
Mar. 6, 2020 at 8:37 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: NR1203
This is something that I've noticed too. The thing is, Marner isn't the greatest puck handler. When watching Matthews or even Nylander with the puck, there's smoothness in the way they handle it. They corral passes better and seem in control a lot more than Marner does. Something he should work on. His hands are very choppy.

Then again, he's still effective as anybody else in the league so it's not something to spend too much time worrying about. The goal he scored on Tuesday night is evidence.

I don’t think Marner has as much strength, speed & balance as Nylander & Matthews that’s why he doesn’t look as smooth carrying the puck, but his stick handling & puck control is really good. His confidence seems shot this season though.
Mar. 6, 2020 at 11:27 p.m.
Quoting: Jack_

Good points. I thought about the various line creations, tweaks..etc and the most reasonable conclusion I have come to is the bad decision of keeping Babcock as the coach in the off-season.

Let's face it, Keefe is and will be playing catchup with this roster for the rest of the season and playoffs. If he had the off-season to prepare for the season, he would have a better handle on which players play well together.

I fully believe Keefe will be better next season just because of this very reason.
Jack_ and Britishbulldog liked this.
Mar. 7, 2020 at 12:34 p.m.
C,mon Leafs...Please

He definitely seems off since signing his huge contract this off-season.

I was surprised that his agent also noted people were after Marner's dad on social media but it was his dad who started it after Matthews signed his contract and even before that when the press were discussing Mariners possible contract value a year earlier Marner's camp were saying he wasn't taking a discount, etc.

Marner has insisted his value compared to Austin is equal even though it was shown that a center has more value than a winner every time.

I thought he was starting to break out of the funk a couple games ago but the last three games has been pretty rough still. If he was playing like he was the last two years then I wouldn't be as concerned but he only has had one small stretch after Keefe became coach that he looked like the ELC Marner.

I think others are right and that Marner plays better with Tavares and not Matthews style
Mar. 8, 2020 at 5:35 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Britishbulldog
He definitely seems off since signing his huge contract this off-season.

I was surprised that his agent also noted people were after Marner's dad on social media but it was his dad who started it after Matthews signed his contract and even before that when the press were discussing Mariners possible contract value a year earlier Marner's camp were saying he wasn't taking a discount, etc.

Marner has insisted his value compared to Austin is equal even though it was shown that a center has more value than a winner every time.

I thought he was starting to break out of the funk a couple games ago but the last three games has been pretty rough still. If he was playing like he was the last two years then I wouldn't be as concerned but he only has had one small stretch after Keefe became coach that he looked like the ELC Marner.

I think others are right and that Marner plays better with Tavares and not Matthews style

Yes I agree Marner has not looked like himself one bit other than a brief stint. Must be a confidence issue.
Mar. 27, 2020 at 5:32 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: mondo
no idea but over-analyzing his every move probably isn't helping.

Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
I just chalk it up to the ebbs and flows that players experience during the course of a season and their careers. Maybe put him back with John to see if it lights a fire underneath him? Also, he's probably over-analyzing everything he's doing because of how the team has performed and the constant pressure these guys are under. I'm sure he'll find a way to get out of his own head at some point but for now, I think he just needs to go through the process and when he gets back to being the player we all know he can be he will have learned a valuable lesson or at least that's the hope. That's just my take on it tho.

62 points in 53 games. I have no issues.

Quoting: Trickster
I think he is under performing a but like @jamiepo said, 62 points in games.

Let him continue to grow and learn IMO.

Quoting: TMLSage
Marner is a franchise player for the Leafs and plays 5x5, PP and PK and is an assistant captain on the team. As far as I know, he was on a 100 point pace if he was not injured so not sure why you are so concerned.

He is playing fine and still very productive. A couple of little things that could be going on are as follows:

1. He is adjusting to playing with Austin Matthews from John Tavares as his centre which is changing his game a little.
2. He is nolonger quarterbacking the team's powerplay from the right point which is now being done by Tyson Barrie.
3. He is trying to play more defensively responsible as he is now a an assistant captain and part of Leafs leadership team.

Quoting: RangerWall92
I'm not concerned at all about Marner. I get sometimes he can be a bit inconsistent, but his point production hasn't come unnoticed. His role on the team has changed in a lot of ways. He's playing with Matthews instead of Tavares, he's an alternate captain, and he's no longer powerplay QB anymore with Barrie

Quoting: oneX
Mostly this although he doesn't look as dominant as he looked ladt last season.

Overall he and the rest of the forwards need to improve on the mental side of the game so the D isn't hung out to dry on the plays we've seen this season.

Quoting: Trevorchef
Marner is still putting up points because that is what Marner does. He creates and he gets a lot of assists. I have no issues with Marner continuing to do that because that is what he is really, really good at. He just should not be paid 10.9 million dollars a year to do it. He is overpaid by at least two million dollars a year IMO. Possibly more.

Great player and we are lucky to have him. He is just overpaid and that limits our options moving forward.

I think very much like JT, he's still pretty effective but not as flashy as us fans expect. I think there's more to his game but scrutiny of the team has been high since the all-star break, at the highest point in the Matthews/Marner era. He hasn't felt this much heat before.
3 out of the last 4 games the Leafs have looked like a real contender, possibly the 3 best games of their season so I think he's on the verge of getting back to that level.

Last night I thought he was invisible (which isn't the worst but not the best either), didn't make any mistakes or bad plays but also didn't really do anything exciting.

Oh Nylander too... some people will still hate him even if he won 10 hart trophies, broke Gretzky's point record and then cured cancer.

There's more expected and hopefully he can get there soon.

@aadoyle @LeafsFanForSomeReason @palhal @leafs_and_sens_fan @JaredOfLondon @jack_ @Random2152

Alright, so I think it’s time to assess Marner’s play this season. He finished off on a 22 goal 93 point pace. According to his isolated impact charts, he was 6% above the league average in driving offence. He was 13% above the league average in defensive contributions. He had a 54.13 GF%, a 56.61 xGF% & a 52.5% Corsi. It is obvious he did not live up to the contract he signed, but how would you grade him for his performances? Personally, I give a D-.
Mar. 27, 2020 at 5:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
@aadoyle @LeafsFanForSomeReason @palhal @leafs_and_sens_fan @JaredOfLondon @jack_ @Random2152

Alright, so I think it’s time to assess Marner’s play this season. He finished off on a 22 goal 93 point pace. According to his isolated impact charts, he was 6% above the league average in driving offence. He was 13% above the league average in defensive contributions. He had a 54.13 GF%, a 56.61 xGF% & a 52.5% Corsi. It is obvious he did not live up to the contract he signed, but how would you grade him for his performances? Personally, I give a D-.

If he signed for 8.93 nobody would be complaining. The sad thing is he almost got 11mill making him look money hungry rather than team committed
Mar. 27, 2020 at 6:14 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: aadoyle
If he signed for 8.93 nobody would be complaining. The sad thing is he almost got 11mill making him look money hungry rather than team committed

I think it was his dad who was money hungry. The thing is, if Marner signed for 9, the Leafs had 2 million extra to trade for a good defenseman.
Mar. 27, 2020 at 10:33 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I think it was his dad who was money hungry. The thing is, if Marner signed for 9, the Leafs had 2 million extra to trade for a good defenseman.

It was Leafs management choice too, to or not sign any contracts sign any contracts. They should have not have agreed to the contract with Nylander, Matthews or Marner. An Aho contract was excellent comparable...two seasons in a row, identical stats with Marner and he signed for 8.5m X 5. IMO 5m overpaid for those three guys.
Mar. 27, 2020 at 10:48 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: palhal
It was Leafs management choice too, to or not sign any contracts sign any contracts. They should have not have agreed to the contract with Nylander, Matthews or Marner. An Aho contract was excellent comparable...two seasons in a row, identical stats with Marner and he signed for 8.5m X 5. IMO 5m overpaid for those three guys.

They could’ve used that 5 million cap space to get a good defenseman like DeMelo this off-season.
Mar. 28, 2020 at 2:28 p.m.
V5 ANA and BOG

I give him a B-. D- is harsh for a player who was on pace for 93 points, and according to the stats you just mentioned, was an above-average play driver in both ends which is impressive considering the fact that he's a trusted PK player who scores as much as he does deserves a lot of credit. He'll always be overpaid in my eyes unless he becomes a 120 point player every year for the next 5 years. He was solid, but we expect him to be spectacular. This year, he was not. I'll also cut him some slack for JT's injury and the time if took him to get back to form, and for the tough start under Babcock.
Mar. 28, 2020 at 2:32 p.m.
V5 ANA and BOG
Quoting: palhal

Nylander's contract terms weren't the problem. The length of the negotiation, the fact that it got done with just 5 minutes left to save his season, was the problem. But after that long negotiation, Dubas didn't want to risk it again with Matthews so he caved in and overpaid. Marner than used that as a comparable (even though Matthews is much more valuable). Also, his dad gassing him up has always been a problem (I remember reading an article in the hockey news back in 2015, where his dad complained that Mcdavid was stealing his spotlight) and probably boosted his ego a bit too much.
Mar. 28, 2020 at 2:40 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Nylander's contract terms weren't the problem. The length of the negotiation, the fact that it got done with just 5 minutes left to save his season, was the problem. But after that long negotiation, Dubas didn't want to risk it again with Matthews so he caved in and overpaid. Marner than used that as a comparable (even though Matthews is much more valuable). Also, his dad gassing him up has always been a problem (I remember reading an article in the hockey news back in 2015, where his dad complained that Mcdavid was stealing his spotlight) and probably boosted his ego a bit too much.

the ironic thing was with nylander the announcers predicted getting him resigned would be a nightmare as his father had the same attitude when it came to money. As for Matthews that contract was high but if u think about it, If Mcdavid never got 12.5 mill most good players would probably get kane money 10.5 or even less. Whenever a team sets a bar for a good player other teams follow. Karlsson can thank doughty for getting 11.65 mill and so on. The main thing is sure dubas overpaid but at the same time matthews has recently been playing his best hockey yet and may be on the verge of multiple 100point seasons. As for Marner I would give him a B+. I think he is just overthinking things on the team and trying to do to much. He also is on a new line with Matthews so hes getting used to playing with a different center but so far its gone pretty well. Next season Keefe should maybe consider putting the tavares line back together and trying (Nylander - Matthews - Kapenan) as that line could be interesting to see. we will just have to wait and see what dubas plans for this team come the 2020-2021 season
Mar. 28, 2020 at 2:49 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming

Matthews wasn't overpaid. I will die on this hill. If Matthews got the same 2nd contract Malkin did he'd be paid 5@12.5aav.
Whether you think Matthews is better or worse than Malkin is irrelevant, he is certainly close enough that getting paid a full million less is a fair contract at worst
Mar. 28, 2020 at 3:02 p.m.
Banned
I give him a B-. D- is harsh for a player who was on pace for 93 points, and according to the stats you just mentioned, was an above-average play driver in both ends which is impressive considering the fact that he's a trusted PK player who scores as much as he does deserves a lot of credit. He'll always be overpaid in my eyes unless he becomes a 120 point player every year for the next 5 years. He was solid, but we expect him to be spectacular. This year, he was not. I'll also cut him some slack for JT's injury and the time if took him to get back to form, and for the tough start under Babcock.

Yeah Marner got off to a real slow start under Babcock, then got injured, then looked like he was shot out of a cannon during the first 2 weeks under Keefe. He went back to stinking after that. Overall he wasn’t as bad as I described, but he wasn’t good either. His dad must put a lot of pressure on him to be as good as mcDavid.
NR1203 liked this.
Mar. 28, 2020 at 3:03 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: aadoyle
the ironic thing was with nylander the announcers predicted getting him resigned would be a nightmare as his father had the same attitude when it came to money. As for Matthews that contract was high but if u think about it, If Mcdavid never got 12.5 mill most good players would probably get kane money 10.5 or even less. Whenever a team sets a bar for a good player other teams follow. Karlsson can thank doughty for getting 11.65 mill and so on. The main thing is sure dubas overpaid but at the same time matthews has recently been playing his best hockey yet and may be on the verge of multiple 100point seasons. As for Marner I would give him a B+. I think he is just overthinking things on the team and trying to do to much. He also is on a new line with Matthews so hes getting used to playing with a different center but so far its gone pretty well. Next season Keefe should maybe consider putting the tavares line back together and trying (Nylander - Matthews - Kapenan) as that line could be interesting to see. we will just have to wait and see what dubas plans for this team come the 2020-2021 season

Yes you’re right but I’m not sure if there’s gonna be a spot on the team for Marner next season.
Mar. 28, 2020 at 3:05 p.m.
Banned
Matthews wasn't overpaid. I will die on this hill. If Matthews got the same 2nd contract Malkin did he'd be paid 5@12.5aav.
Whether you think Matthews is better or worse than Malkin is irrelevant, he is certainly close enough that getting paid a full million less is a fair contract at worst

Didn’t Geno sign for 8 years?
Mar. 28, 2020 at 3:14 p.m.
V5 ANA and BOG

Matthews was overpaid for the term he got. 7 years should have been the minimum for that salary. Mcdavid signed for 3 more years at only 1 million more. That's another comparable. Eichel signed for 8 years at less money (10 million). Mackinnon got criminally underpaid but still, he signed 2 years longer and 5 million cheaper. Dubas should have done better
Mar. 28, 2020 at 3:15 p.m.
V5 ANA and BOG
Didn’t Geno sign for 8 years?

I think his 3rd contract was 8. His 2nd was 5 years at 8.7 AAV (I'm pretty sure Crosby signed the same thing at the time)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll