Forums/Armchair-GM

Nylander must go if leafs miss playoffs or first round exit

Created by: truculence67
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 24, 2020
Published: Feb. 26, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Not a knock on Willie but the leafs cannot continue to devote nearly half their cap to four forwards. And if the Leafs want a young top-pairing dman, a package of kapanen/johnsson/kerfoot, dermott and a 2022 pick isn't going to cut it. You're fooling yourself if you think Manson/Dumba/Severson/Larsson is the answer to the team's d problems.

The list of young 2-way RHDs who are already established NHLers and have elite potential is short. Eliminating teams in the atlantic division, powerhouse cup contenders, and teams with weaker defense corps than the leafs as trade partners, I really only see Jones, Fabbro, Slavin, Trouba, dobson, and maybe klingberg and rasmus andersson as targets that properly fit the bill.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$825,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,250,000
2$875,000
2$800,000
1$725,000
1$700,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
1$900,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Bonino, Nick
  2. Fabbro, Dante
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (NJD)
  4. 2021 3rd round pick (NSH)
TOR
  1. Kirk, Liam [Reserve List]
ARI
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$80,000,750$0$1,250,000$3,499,250
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$4,100,000$4,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$2,550,000$2,550,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 2
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
C
UFA - 2
$875,000$875,000
RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 26, 2020 at 12:40 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Thats very wrong opinion. Also most teams who have solid D cores developed those D cores by themselves.
GenXHockey and mokumboi liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 12:48 p.m.
tony d took a knee
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

slavin as a target

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Feb. 26, 2020 at 12:49 p.m.
tomato
I think Fabbro is closer in value to Dermott than he is to Nylander. I like the idea of acquiring Fabbro but not at that price. A flip of Dermott with pick/prospects would be more intriguing to me, but i dont think Nashville thinks about that trade because of there strength at LHD.
Austerity, truculence67, Trickster and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 12:56 p.m.
Austerity
I don't really see how Fabbro improves the defense moreso than Manson, and you're losing a really good player in Nylander to do it. Like... he's getting over 30 goals this year, is a gym rat, is showing good effort, and only costs 7M. He's not the player to move.

Bonino as a pickup makes a ton of sense, and a Sam Bennett reclamation project is also something I think is a good idea, but you could probably get more for Kerfoot than just Bennett.

Trevor Lewis would be a sick pick-up too: ditto for Trevor VR
truculence67 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 12:58 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: SammyT_51
Thats very wrong opinion. Also most teams who have solid D cores developed those D cores by themselves.

“Leafs can’t continue to pay this much to forwards” solution... trade away best forward contract of player most committed to this team.

Maybe something will have to be moved... but I don’t think so. I think leafs will continue to roll support guys to fit our needs in defence.
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 1:05 p.m.
torontos finest
I'm still fairly against moving one of the big four guys unless it's absolutely necessary. They'd be golden if they were able to land a right sided defender like Muzzin, so the D corps would shape up like this:

Rielly - RHD
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Lije

But one defender won't change the teams problems, they need to play like they played against Tampa last night 82 games a year.
Austerity liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 1:20 p.m.
Good Opinion Haver
As a non leafs fan yes Nylander definitely should go- to my team. Other than Matthews he has no doubt been your best player this year.
Austerity liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 1:22 p.m.
Quoting: nbass
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

slavin as a target

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I didn't say he was a target. I said he fit the bill as a young top pairing RHD on a team that isn't in the leafs division and isn't one of the top cup contenders
Feb. 26, 2020 at 1:33 p.m.
Quoting: tomato43
I think Fabbro is closer in value to Dermott than he is to Nylander. I like the idea of acquiring Fabbro but not at that price. A flip of Dermott with pick/prospects would be more intriguing to me, but i dont think Nashville thinks about that trade because of there strength at LHD.

Quoting: Austerity
I don't really see how Fabbro improves the defense moreso than Manson, and you're losing a really good player in Nylander to do it. Like... he's getting over 30 goals this year, is a gym rat, is showing good effort, and only costs 7M. He's not the player to move.

Bonino as a pickup makes a ton of sense, and a Sam Bennett reclamation project is also something I think is a good idea, but you could probably get more for Kerfoot than just Bennett.

Trevor Lewis would be a sick pick-up too: ditto for Trevor VR

I just think Fabbro's age dramatically increases his value. Teams don't move defensemen of his caliber who are on ELCs or team-friendly RFA deals unless they get blown away with an offer. I don't know what goes on in Dubas' office but I have to imagine that he's exhausted all options involving lesser pieces for a young top-4 RHD. To me, Fabbro would be the minimum return I'd want for a trade involving Nylander, but I think Jones and the other player I named are more of a pipe dream
ChiHawk liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 1:36 p.m.
Leafs fans need to come to grips that investing 1/2 your cap in 4 forwards isn't a winning forumla...it's really that simple. That said, not sure which 4 makes the most sense to move, I'd say Marner but certainly I am far from the best judge.

I hear what people say about developing prospects and that is important but let's be honest, what top 3 guy do the Leafs have on D as a prospect? It's a pretty all order to assume Liljegren is the answer. He may end up being a very solid #4 guy, and realistically, I could see that happening which is great, but who else is in the system that can be a top 3? Why not go after one of the Oilers top prospects like Bouchard or Broberg?
truculence67 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 1:41 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Nylander is at 28 goals right now?
He is proving he is worth at 6.9 million.

Not trading him.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 1:44 p.m.
tony d took a knee
Quoting: truculence67
I didn't say he was a target. I said he fit the bill as a young top pairing RHD on a team that isn't in the leafs division and isn't one of the top cup contenders

your exact words are targets that properly fit the bill. but ok. plus why in the hell would the canes trade their best defenseman and a top 10 defenseman in the NHL for leafs waste, he can't even score on a 42 year old zamboni driver who works for the team
Feb. 26, 2020 at 1:45 p.m.
Quoting: SammyT_51

Quoting: ChiHawk
Leafs fans need to come to grips that investing 1/2 your cap in 4 forwards isn't a winning forumla...it's really that simple. That said, not sure which 4 makes the most sense to move, I'd say Marner but certainly I am far from the best judge.

I hear what people say about developing prospects and that is important but let's be honest, what top 3 guy do the Leafs have on D as a prospect? It's a pretty all order to assume Liljegren is the answer. He may end up being a very solid #4 guy, and realistically, I could see that happening which is great, but who else is in the system that can be a top 3? Why not go after one of the Oilers top prospects like Bouchard or Broberg?

I'd rather the leafs try to pick up a 1st round pick in this draft than target an nhl-ready d prospect like Bouchard or Broberg (or one of chicago's top d prospects) because they'd likely have to pay quite a bit more. I don't follow juniors very closely but I do like the sounds of Jason Barron and Braden Schneider.
Austerity liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 1:48 p.m.
Quoting: truculence67
I'd rather the leafs try to pick up a 1st round pick in this draft than target an nhl-ready d prospect like Bouchard or Broberg (or one of chicago's top d prospects) because they'd likely have to pay quite a bit more. I don't follow juniors very closely but I do like the sounds of Jason Barron and Braden Schneider.

Leafs can't wait on a prospect to develop, they need help in the next year or two and the only guy in the draft that will be ready in that timeframe is Drysdale; he will go in the first 6 picks likely. Therefore, the Leafs would be wise to move Marner for a Bouchard or the likes plus additional assets such as a 1st rounder. Think of this way, how much better would the Leafs look right now with a Cale Makar type guy on the team?
Feb. 26, 2020 at 1:51 p.m.
#LeafsFever
If Nylander is really getting moved this offseason, then I think there is really 1 deal with 1 team that solves basically, or at least potentially, most of the Leafs issues. That team would be the Flyers. I am not sure that the cap numbers work, even with a raised $84 million cap for 2020-21, but the deal would like this:

To Flyers: William Nylander, Kasperi Kapanen, Travis Dermott, Jeremy Bracco
To Toronto: Travis Sanheim, Phillipe Myers, Scott Laughton, Morgan Frost
Feb. 26, 2020 at 1:53 p.m.
torontos finest

Marner gets moved. Matthews can score 40, Tavares is the captain and Nylander's contract is looking solid. It sucks because the guy loves the team.
ChiHawk liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 1:58 p.m.
tomato

Sandin has a higher ceiling than Liljegren as of now. I would be happy with Liljegren playing a top 4 role in a year or so. He will be a solid bottom pairing D next year. I think Sandin has top pairing potential.

I like the idea of going after Bouchard. I dont think trading one of Nylander or Marner should be the cost though. If Bouchard was guaranteed to be a top 4 from next year on and grow into a top pair I would think about it, but i wouldn't want to risk Bouchard not reaching his potential.

I want to leverage Nick Robertson and picks/middle six forwards into a highly touted defense prospect. I want Soderstrom or Lundkvist or Bouchard, etc. Lundkvist might be the most available since the Rangers seem to have a jam at RHD, if they choose to keep DeAngelo.
truculence67 and Austerity liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 1:59 p.m.
Quoting: MG1986
If Nylander is really getting moved this offseason, then I think there is really 1 deal with 1 team that solves basically, or at least potentially, most of the Leafs issues. That team would be the Flyers. I am not sure that the cap numbers work, even with a raised $84 million cap for 2020-21, but the deal would like this:

To Flyers: William Nylander, Kasperi Kapanen, Travis Dermott, Jeremy Bracco
To Toronto: Travis Sanheim, Phillipe Myers, Scott Laughton, Morgan Frost

The only guy in that trade who the leafs would really want is myers and they wouldn't move nylander just for him. Interesting idea though
Austerity liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 2:18 p.m.
Sandin has a higher ceiling than Liljegren as of now. I would be happy with Liljegren playing a top 4 role in a year or so. He will be a solid bottom pairing D next year. I think Sandin has top pairing potential.

I like the idea of going after Bouchard. I dont think trading one of Nylander or Marner should be the cost though. If Bouchard was guaranteed to be a top 4 from next year on and grow into a top pair I would think about it, but i wouldn't want to risk Bouchard not reaching his potential.

I want to leverage Nick Robertson and picks/middle six forwards into a highly touted defense prospect. I want Soderstrom or Lundkvist or Bouchard, etc. Lundkvist might be the most available since the Rangers seem to have a jam at RHD, if they choose to keep DeAngelo.

You're going to need to move marner to generate enough interest to move a locked in guy like Bouchard. You don't get a top 10 defensive prospect for anything less. That said, Bouchard and 1st and maybe a role player for Marner should be worth the return.
tomato43 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 9:47 p.m.
tomato
You're going to need to move marner to generate enough interest to move a locked in guy like Bouchard. You don't get a top 10 defensive prospect for anything less. That said, Bouchard and 1st and maybe a role player for Marner should be worth the return.

I think we just disagree about Bouchards value. If he comes out next year and lights the world on fire like Makar did then that trade would look a lot more even. I just dont see him being at that level, at least not yet. Im not an expert on him or anything but i perceive his value to be more than Liljegren and maybe less than Sandin at this point. Hardly worth a player who is on pace for 95+ points over 82 games, who had 93 the year prior, even if a mid-late first round pick is thrown in.

If Bouchard was guaranteed to be close too a Makar2.0 i would seriously consider and Marner for Bouchard plus a 1st. What might push me over the top would be the immediate cap relief that would come with it for a couple seasons at least. Not sure what we would spend that cap space on though. Maybe wait it out for Hamilton to maybe go UFA the year after next. complicated, but i love thinking about all these hypothetical situations.
Feb. 27, 2020 at 2:25 a.m.
I think we just disagree about Bouchards value. If he comes out next year and lights the world on fire like Makar did then that trade would look a lot more even. I just dont see him being at that level, at least not yet. Im not an expert on him or anything but i perceive his value to be more than Liljegren and maybe less than Sandin at this point. Hardly worth a player who is on pace for 95+ points over 82 games, who had 93 the year prior, even if a mid-late first round pick is thrown in.

If Bouchard was guaranteed to be close too a Makar2.0 i would seriously consider and Marner for Bouchard plus a 1st. What might push me over the top would be the immediate cap relief that would come with it for a couple seasons at least. Not sure what we would spend that cap space on though. Maybe wait it out for Hamilton to maybe go UFA the year after next. complicated, but i love thinking about all these hypothetical situations.

How are you discussing points and comparing a defensive player to a top line winger? doesn't make sense

Bouchard is also better then Sandin hands down....don't know anyone who would rather have Sandin over Bouchard. There is a reason one was drafted in the top 10 and the other almost didn't make the 1st round. Now, there development paths are different and they are different types of players but Bouchard should by all accounts at this point be the clear better player.
Feb. 27, 2020 at 5:57 a.m.
tomato
How are you discussing points and comparing a defensive player to a top line winger? doesn't make sense

Bouchard is also better then Sandin hands down....don't know anyone who would rather have Sandin over Bouchard. There is a reason one was drafted in the top 10 and the other almost didn't make the 1st round. Now, there development paths are different and they are different types of players but Bouchard should by all accounts at this point be the clear better player.

Im using points to demonstrate value. That is perfectly applicable for a forward. A 90+ point forward has incredible value, therefore Marner has incredible value.

Bouchard is also not universally accepted as a much better prospect than Sandin.

The three prospect rankings i could find all have Bouchard lower than Sandin.

Corey Pronman of The Atheltic who specializes in prospects has Sandin listed as the 10th best prospect in the NHL as of about 5 weeks ago. He ranks the players as well as classing them in tiers. Sandin is in the High-end NHL prospect Tier which is define as - Projects as a first-line forward, a top-pair defenseman or a top 10 starting goaltender. Bouchard is in the tier below and is number 22 on the list. falling in the very good NHL prospect tier, defined as - Projects as a top-six forward, top-four defenseman or starting goaltender in the NHL.

Craig Button (not the best at ranking in my opinion) as of Jan 8th has Sandin ranked as the 6th best prospect in the NHL and Bouchard doesn't even make his list of top 50.

TheHockeyWriters.com Prospect Specialist has Sandin at number 17 and Bouchard at 25. Sandin rose significantly compared to the last edition and Bouchard fell slightly from his previous position.

Those are the three ranking i could find and they all have Sandin above Bouchard. If you don't like those list, i would argue that Bouchard and Sandin both have at least equal value.
ChiHawk and Austerity liked this.
Feb. 27, 2020 at 3:14 p.m.
Austerity
@truculence67 You wouldn't consider re-signing Spezza, or did you forget? I think he'd come back for the same deal to try to win the cup.

Also, I just noticed the Buddy Robinson signing. Good idea as well, also he has a cool name awesome face

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll