Forums/Armchair-GM

Pesce for Kapanen Samis Son Goes Home

Created by: Claymish
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 26, 2020
Published: Feb. 26, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
A trade that works for both teams...Leafs finally get an elite defensive right shot D-man with a great contract. Canes free up space and a bit of money to resign Hamilton next summer, get Sami's son and forms the best Finnish line in NHL history.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,250,000
2$825,000
3$825,000
1$825,000
1$1,650,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
5$1,450,000
Trades
CAR
  1. Bracco, Jeremy [RFA Rights]
  2. Kapanen, Kasperi
Additional Details:
Sami's son goes home! After great play down the stretch without Pesce's they realize they are still strong on D and pull a trade to form the strongest Finnish Line ever assembled Teravainen/ Aho/ Kapanen.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$85,500,000$84,784,783$0$400,000$715,217
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,450,000$1,450,000
LW
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
C
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$821,667$821,667
LW, RW
RFA - 4
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 2
$1,650,000$1,650,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 26, 2020 at 2:05 p.m.
tomato
I would do this in a heart beat. But The canes dont even consider it.
Dan10900 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 2:07 p.m.
ahahhahahahhahahhahahhahhahahh
Dan10900 liked this.
I see that the trade works for Toronto but who is the other team it works for?
Dan10900 liked this.
Brace for the Storm
Leafs fans REALLY overestimate Kappanen's value, and I like Kappy a lot.
Dan10900 liked this.
What in tarnation
Canes laugh.

It's Nylander or Marner for Pesce. Not moving their only long-term RHD for a 3rd line winger.
Dan10900 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 2:10 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Yiiikes. Brady Skjei just got a 1st. You think Pesce is going for Kapanen and a diminishing asset in Bracco? Maybe this gets Brady Skjei, but no chance does it get Pesce. I don’t think adding a first comes close to getting it done.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 2:18 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Ugh. I just can’t believe you said, “a trade that works for both teams.” At least be honest about your pillaging ways.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 2:26 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I like Kapanen but he sure isn't worth a top 4 Dman on a team friendly contract. Canes management, their fans and junior Kapanen don't give a flying you know what that senior Kapanen was once a Cane.
Godfried liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 2:37 p.m.
Death, Taxes and Leaf Fans lowballing offers for Pesce
Godfried liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 2:39 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BurgerBoss
Canes laugh.

It's Nylander or Marner for Pesce. Not moving their only long-term RHD for a 3rd line winger.

Lol, just like Manson is worth Sandin, Liljegren, Kapanen and 14 1st round picks.

"He's a right handed shut down defenceman!" He's right handed and was playing with a star player in Slavin who really is the one that does all the work. Pesce is the most overrated player on this site.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 2:48 p.m.
What in tarnation
Edited Feb. 26, 2020 at 3:01 p.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
Lol, just like Manson is worth Sandin, Liljegren, Kapanen and 14 1st round picks.

"He's a right handed shut down defenceman!" He's right handed and was playing with a star player in Slavin who really is the one that does all the work. Pesce is the most overrated player on this site.

I do think that Manson is worth Liljegren. I actually had a discussion about this with a Ducks fan who wanted more than Liljegren for Manson, I myself thought that Liljegren alone should be enough because Manson is not that good really.

Pesce is another story though. He's actually solid. And he has a long-term dream contract.

He has a great value.

For a competitive playoff team that CAR is, if Pesce has to be moved, they want to upgrade their team level-wise. Future assets are unnecessary.

This is why Nylander or Marner are the only assets that make sense.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 2:57 p.m.
Godfried
I do think that Manson is worth Liljegren. I actually had a discussion about this with a Ducks fan who wanted more than Liljegren for Manson, I myself thought that Liljegren alone should be enough because Manson is not that good really.

Pesce is another story though. He's actually solid. And he has a long-term dream contract.

He has a great value.

For a competitive playoff team that CAR is, if Pesce has to be moved, they want to upgrade their team level-wise. Future assets are unnecessary.

This is why Nylander or Marner all the only assets that make sense.

Couldnt agree more with this. The leafs would be a better team to swap nylander (over valued by leafs fan but similar value to pesce) for pesce straight up. Save on space and make your defense better.

Get a grip man, slavin is terrific but he doesnt do all the work. Pesce is very solid. And nobody has said anything about manson like that. It's just that you over value kapanen
Feb. 26, 2020 at 2:58 p.m.
Lets Go Blues

I don't think Pesce is overrated.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/trying-identify-best-defensive-defencemen-nhl/
Feb. 26, 2020 at 3:11 p.m.
Banned

He has a great value.

This is why Nylander or Marner are the only assets that make sense.

I know the Leafs lost against Carolina the other night and really didn't look good for the second half of the game but prior to that, Matthews made Pesce look silly several times. Slavin is a star, he carries their defence. Pesce is a benefit of his surroundings. If he had to carry anything, he'd go no where. He's a good player but he's not half of what this site thinks he is.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 3:15 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Godfried
Couldnt agree more with this. The leafs would be a better team to swap nylander (over valued by leafs fan but similar value to pesce) for pesce straight up. Save on space and make your defense better.

Pesce would be good playing with Rielly, but that is because Rielly is one of the best defenceman in the league...Like Slavin. Pesce for Nylander is just a joke. Also to say Nylander is overrated is the same tired old crap that is on this site. He's on pace for 35+ goals and 70+ points and is only 23 meaning his best hockey is still to come.

This is the same anti Leaf bias that has people saying Carolina light years better than the Leafs and its not close.....despite the two teams have the exact same points at this stage of the season. If anything Carolina is far more likely to miss the playoffs than TO. Why? Because TO just needs to be better than Florida to make the playoffs. Carolina has to make a wildcard spot. Doesn't look like they are going to catch Philly, to get into the top 3 in their division.

But facts and reality don't mean anything when opinion and personal bias is everything.

Get a grip man, slavin is terrific but he doesnt do all the work. Pesce is very solid. And nobody has said anything about manson like that. It's just that you over value kapanen
Feb. 26, 2020 at 3:21 p.m.
Banned

The problem with those articles is its hard to pin point why exactly players show well in advance stats. Is it a product of their team's system? Who they play with? What is their competition each night? I believe at the time of this article, Hamilton was still playing, and he was playing lesser competition on the 2nd pair.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 3:33 p.m.
Bcarlo25
The problem with those articles is its hard to pin point why exactly players show well in advance stats. Is it a product of their team's system? Who they play with? What is their competition each night? I believe at the time of this article, Hamilton was still playing, and he was playing lesser competition on the 2nd pair.

You think they tried to give dougie Hamilton the tough match ups? Dougie Hamilton? Seriously?
hanson493 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 3:40 p.m.
Quoting: Bcarlo25
You think they tried to give dougie Hamilton the tough match ups? Dougie Hamilton? Seriously?

Softer than baby poo Dougie Hamilton. Can confirm did not get the tough matchups lol.
Bcarlo25 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 3:50 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Edited Feb. 26, 2020 at 4:05 p.m.

If it were a product of his team, wouldn't there be a teammate that shows better numbers? The competition is a valid question, but if a guy is clearly effective based on looking at these stats, I would think that they have earned the trust of their coach to play in defensive situations. It's an assumption, but it doesn't refute the stats. So anyway, there is data here on Quality of Competition https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/qoct/1920/CAR/pescebr94/wrap; it's tricky to read but it shows that Pesce spends more time than the average player on the ice against a team's top 4 forwards (and that he's a top-3 d-man for his team in terms of TOI). You could contrast Pesce's deployment to someone like TVR who gets the easy deployment (https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/qoct/1920/CAR/vanritr91/wrap); it shows he faces the 5-12 forwards of the opposition more than the average player would.
hanson493 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 4:49 p.m.
Quoting: A_K
If it were a product of his team, wouldn't there be a teammate that shows better numbers? The competition is a valid question, but if a guy is clearly effective based on looking at these stats, I would think that they have earned the trust of their coach to play in defensive situations. It's an assumption, but it doesn't refute the stats. So anyway, there is data here on Quality of Competition https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/qoct/1920/CAR/pescebr94/wrap; it's tricky to read but it shows that Pesce spends more time than the average player on the ice against a team's top 4 forwards (and that he's a top-3 d-man for his team in terms of TOI). You could contrast Pesce's deployment to someone like TVR who gets the easy deployment (https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/qoct/1920/CAR/vanritr91/wrap); it shows he faces the 5-12 forwards of the opposition more than the average player would.

pwned.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 4:59 p.m.
Banned

And TVR rarely would play with the likes of Svechnikov, Aho and Turbo but Pesce will spend most of his minutes playing with the top 2 lines of Carolina. Advanced stats are great and I like them but there is a reason almost all teams have their own advance stats department and don't rely on the ones the media and fans do. Its easy to come up with numbers but correlating that data and making sense if it is incredibly difficult especially without watching the player and understanding how the game is played. The number one reason a team is good defensively or not is their system. To defend effectively you need a cohesive 5 man unit that knows what their assignments are. Carolina is very good in that regard. Personal help of course and that is why certain players are more successful than others but the system is the biggest contributor. Pesce is the #3 defenceman in Carolina, and he's been good, but he's also benefiting from the system and the players he plays against as well as being on the 2nd pair for most of the season. Slavin gets the toughest assignments all the time and he excells in those situations. I know you can't take a 1 game snapshot and use that as ammo but the other night Matthews had very little trouble with Pesce but Slavin was always there backing him up. I know Matthews didn't score but he went around Pesce several times without trouble but just couldn't find room behind him due to the teams defensive coverage. Pesce will look good from an advanced stats point of view in that game but only because of everyone else behind him. If he was on TO, he wouldn't suddenly become some sort of superstar, I'd wager he'd look suspect a lot. I just don't see the skills that true top end guys have in Pesce. He is not even close to as good as Parayko.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: hanson493
pwned.

Good one.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 5:27 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
And TVR rarely would play with the likes of Svechnikov, Aho and Turbo but Pesce will spend most of his minutes playing with the top 2 lines of Carolina. Advanced stats are great and I like them but there is a reason almost all teams have their own advance stats department and don't rely on the ones the media and fans do. Its easy to come up with numbers but correlating that data and making sense if it is incredibly difficult especially without watching the player and understanding how the game is played. The number one reason a team is good defensively or not is their system. To defend effectively you need a cohesive 5 man unit that knows what their assignments are. Carolina is very good in that regard. Personal help of course and that is why certain players are more successful than others but the system is the biggest contributor.

So... you said he's overrated because he doesn't face tough competition... but now it doesn't matter when you see that he plays against the top competition because he plays with the best players on his team... If a guy plays with the best players on his team, against the best players on the other team (which is true for Pesce), maybe he's just a good player? Those advanced stats that Berkshire collects (not sure where he gets them from, they're not publicly available) are just the counts of good plays that are made, over a big sample size, while that player is on the ice. If systems were the biggest determining factor for how good a player is at those stats, i.e. suppressing entries/shots, wouldn't the graphs just be clusters of players from each team right near each other? Would Cody Ceci's shot suppression data look nearly the same as Jake Muzzin's? Would teams even bother looking for good players when they could just hire better coaches?

Slavin gets the toughest assignments all the time and he excells in those situations.

His usage looks fairly similar to Pesce's but apparently more entries/shots/etc happened when he was on the ice.

I just don't see the skills that true top end guys have in Pesce.

You may not see the skills because defense is a measure of what doesn't happen
Feb. 26, 2020 at 6:27 p.m.
Banned
So... you said he's overrated because he doesn't face tough competition... but now it doesn't matter when you see that he plays against the top competition because he plays with the best players on his team... If a guy plays with the best players on his team, against the best players on the other team (which is true for Pesce), maybe he's just a good player? Those advanced stats that Berkshire collects (not sure where he gets them from, they're not publicly available) are just the counts of good plays that are made, over a big sample size, while that player is on the ice. If systems were the biggest determining factor for how good a player is at those stats, i.e. suppressing entries/shots, wouldn't the graphs just be clusters of players from each team right near each other? Would Cody Ceci's shot suppression data look nearly the same as Jake Muzzin's? Would teams even bother looking for good players when they could just hire better coaches?

His usage looks fairly similar to Pesce's but apparently more entries/shots/etc happened when he was on the ice.

You may not see the skills because defense is a measure of what doesn't happen

Pesce is not worth close to Nylander. Everyone outside Leaf fans it seems, think Pesce is worth Nylander + and that is just silly. That is why he's overrated. He's a good player, I don't discount that but he's a secondary asset. That is not worth a 23 year old elite offensive player who's best hockey is still to come.
NR1203 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 7:51 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Edited Feb. 26, 2020 at 7:57 p.m.
Pesce is not worth close to Nylander. Everyone outside Leaf fans it seems, think Pesce is worth Nylander + and that is just silly. That is why he's overrated. He's a good player, I don't discount that but he's a secondary asset. That is not worth a 23 year old elite offensive player who's best hockey is still to come.

Well that's completely different. Pesce is an extremely good defender. Some people just hate Leafs players and/or misunderstand Nylander. Independent of team needs, their value would probably be pretty similar IMO.
hanson493 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll