LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 26, 2020 at 3:28 p.m.
Biased Opinion
Not enough for Pesce and too much for Dumba
Feb. 26, 2020 at 3:33 p.m.
Quoting: Barbs

Minnesota's ask for dumba was nylander +. confirmed by multiple reporters. these arent even close for either player.
Official Leafs Fan
I’d swap korshkov and Bracco and maybe turn to free agency rather than rowney..... and try to bring back Spezza cheap, heck of a D-core though and that top 6 is top notch as should be expected
Edit*
I also think Mikheyev will be cheaper due to sample size
Bcarlo25
Minnesota: hell no.
Carolina: Hellllll no. Stop calling please.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 3:42 p.m.
Sufferingleafsfan
Huge over pay to Souperman on that contract he's been a good player for half a season and then got injured (not his fault obviously) but you don't pay a guy 2.8mil based on a half-season of work

Dumba is not the solution to what ails this team he is not defensively responsible enough, he doesn't pass the eye-test or a look at his advanced stats, he's a better version of Barrie.

Pesce I could get behind but as others have said your value is probably a bit off.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 3:57 p.m.
Banned

Those pieces wouldn't even get Dumba, Both Carolina and Minnesota would want Nylander.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 3:57 p.m.
Banned
Both Carolina and Minnesota Say Hell No.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 4:30 p.m.
I read the cap for next year ( a conservative estimate will be $82.5 M) I am here to break it to all Leaf fans. There is no money available for big ticket items. There is always the hope the cap can be increase another $10+ M, so Toronto can pay another forward 7 figures.

Thank God there is only one NHL franchise in Leafdom, cause if there were another, the original would actual have to do it right to keep their ravenous fans in the building. When was the last time Toronto? 1967. How many years is that? My head is starting to hurt counting too high.
Feb. 26, 2020 at 5:32 p.m.
I'd try to get more term on Mikheyev. We don't want Dumba for that price. Carolina says no to the Pesce deal.
Feb. 28, 2020 at 8:57 a.m.
Biased Opinion
Quoting: DiehardRedWingsFan58
Those pieces wouldn't even get Dumba, Both Carolina and Minnesota would want Nylander.

Quoting: hanson493
Minnesota's ask for dumba was nylander +. confirmed by multiple reporters. these arent even close for either player.

Just because you ask for something doesn't mean that's what it's worth. Matt Dumba is just Tyson Barrie 2.0 and last week most leaf fans were begging for Barrie to be shipped out
Feb. 28, 2020 at 9:00 a.m.
Banned
Just because you ask for something doesn't mean that's what it's worth. Matt Dumba is just Tyson Barrie 2.0 and last week most leaf fans were begging for Barrie to be shipped out

Who cares but Carolina and Minnesota easily decline those deals, Pesce not available and Bill Guerin said it'll be costly to acquire Matt Dumba so it is what it is.
Feb. 28, 2020 at 9:47 a.m.
Biased Opinion
Quoting: DiehardRedWingsFan58
Who cares but Carolina and Minnesota easily decline those deals, Pesce not available and Bill Guerin said it'll be costly to acquire Matt Dumba so it is what it is.

So back to my original point

Not enough for Pesce (which we agree)

Too much for Dumba from Toronto's perspective.

I'm sure Guerin would say that it costs a lot to acquire Dumba, he'd be an awful negotiator if he said what he'd actually be willing to take for him.
Feb. 28, 2020 at 11:55 a.m.

YOU might not think Dumba is worth that. MINNESOTA who HOLDS DUMBAS RIGHTS does. so i mean. ill believe the reporters on this one and say if you want dumba it starts with nylander, no matter what.
Feb. 28, 2020 at 12:02 p.m.
torontos finest
YOU might not think Dumba is worth that. MINNESOTA who HOLDS DUMBAS RIGHTS does.

then he's not getting traded.

i'd rather keep all of toronto's pieces than overpay for some rhd
Feb. 28, 2020 at 1:07 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
then he's not getting traded.

i'd rather keep all of toronto's pieces than overpay for some rhd

then thats your prerogative. I probably wouldnt do that either, im just saying from leverage perspective and need. Minnesota wouldnt be taking anything less for arguably their best trade asset. IF Dumba were to get moved, it would be for a ridiculous ask because he A) is young, B) has a good amount of term left on his deal, he isnt a rental, C) Toronto is overvaluing kapanen and liljegren. D) Dumba has had unreal bad puck luck this year, seems hes hit more posts than the bruins did vs the habs in 2014 playoffs.
Feb. 28, 2020 at 1:37 p.m.
Biased Opinion
YOU might not think Dumba is worth that. MINNESOTA who HOLDS DUMBAS RIGHTS does. so i mean. ill believe the reporters on this one and say if you want dumba it starts with nylander, no matter what.

I encourage you to fully believe everything that is reported by the media. I mean there's no reason for them to report anything that wasn't 100% factual or for us to believe that GMs would use them as a negotiating tactic in any way.

Shame on me for expressing my opinion on this trade proposal posted on an open forum. Next time I'll consult with the GM who is selling to confirm how much he would ideally want to fleece the other team. If a 25 year old defensively deficient defenseman who's on pace for 28 points this season is worth a 23 year old forward who's on pace for 74 plus additional assets. Who am I to question that?
Feb. 28, 2020 at 2:28 p.m.
I encourage you to fully believe everything that is reported by the media. I mean there's no reason for them to report anything that wasn't 100% factual or for us to believe that GMs would use them as a negotiating tactic in any way.

Shame on me for expressing my opinion on this trade proposal posted on an open forum. Next time I'll consult with the GM who is selling to confirm how much he would ideally want to fleece the other team. If a 25 year old defensively deficient defenseman who's on pace for 28 points this season is worth a 23 year old forward who's on pace for 74 plus additional assets. Who am I to question that?

Right so you shaming me for my opinion is okay though? got it. still a 25 year old defenseman thats actually shown he can put up 50 points in a season. and can actually play in the nhl. unlike lilly pad over there. kapanen is a middle 6 forward. nothing more. this package is a slap in the face for minnesota. not like dumbas 30 and wont be around for when they actually get competitive again.
Feb. 28, 2020 at 3:22 p.m.
Biased Opinion
Right so you shaming me for my opinion is okay though? got it. still a 25 year old defenseman thats actually shown he can put up 50 points in a season. and can actually play in the nhl. unlike lilly pad over there. kapanen is a middle 6 forward. nothing more. this package is a slap in the face for minnesota. not like dumbas 30 and wont be around for when they actually get competitive again.

How uncivil of me to resort to sarcasm to get my point across. My apologies. I'll be sure to follow your example of gentlemanly conduct by voicing my displeasure to your argument with CAPITAL LETTERS!!!

I will now rebut your points

Yes, Dumba can play in the NHL and he has once successfully reached 50 points in a season but he is not known for his defensive prowess. That is especially concerning how much better Minnesota is at defending. Dumba would likely be repeatedly exposed on Toronto's blueline. To my earlier comment, Tyson Barrie has accomplished that same feat (50 points in a season) multiple times but his inability to defend has drawn much criticism. Trading for Dumba would be repeating the same mistake.

It might be too soon to say Liljegren can't make it in the NHL. He's only 20 years old and he's been nothing short of dominant in the AHL. Might need more than 8 games with limited minutes to figure that out. There's no reason to think he couldn't be a reliable top 4 RHD for the Leafs in the next few years.

Kapanen is a middle six forward on Toronto. He would be a top 6 forward in Minnesota. It's all relative. His age, speed, and contract (he's still an RFA at the end of this one) would make him pretty desirable for an older/rebuilding team like Minnesota.

An unprotected 1st round pick holds a lot of value when there's a full season yet to be played. You'd have to think that Toronto would make the playoffs in 2020-2021 and that the pick wouldn't be too valuable but nothing is guaranteed in hockey. Just look at what happened to San Jose this season.

For all these reasons and more, Dumba isn't worth this proposed trade package above. Definitely not worth Nylander either.
Mar. 2, 2020 at 9:43 a.m.
How uncivil of me to resort to sarcasm to get my point across. My apologies. I'll be sure to follow your example of gentlemanly conduct by voicing my displeasure to your argument with CAPITAL LETTERS!!!

I will now rebut your points

Yes, Dumba can play in the NHL and he has once successfully reached 50 points in a season but he is not known for his defensive prowess. That is especially concerning how much better Minnesota is at defending. Dumba would likely be repeatedly exposed on Toronto's blueline. To my earlier comment, Tyson Barrie has accomplished that same feat (50 points in a season) multiple times but his inability to defend has drawn much criticism. Trading for Dumba would be repeating the same mistake.

It might be too soon to say Liljegren can't make it in the NHL. He's only 20 years old and he's been nothing short of dominant in the AHL. Might need more than 8 games with limited minutes to figure that out. There's no reason to think he couldn't be a reliable top 4 RHD for the Leafs in the next few years.

Kapanen is a middle six forward on Toronto. He would be a top 6 forward in Minnesota. It's all relative. His age, speed, and contract (he's still an RFA at the end of this one) would make him pretty desirable for an older/rebuilding team like Minnesota.

An unprotected 1st round pick holds a lot of value when there's a full season yet to be played. You'd have to think that Toronto would make the playoffs in 2020-2021 and that the pick wouldn't be too valuable but nothing is guaranteed in hockey. Just look at what happened to San Jose this season.

For all these reasons and more, Dumba isn't worth this proposed trade package above. Definitely not worth Nylander either.

First, Tyson Barrie is an offensive defenseman. He was NEVER touted for his defensive abilities. Second Dumba is a great 2 way dman. His lack of scoring is whats been causing wild fans to want to move him. To be brutally honest, their advanced numbers are similar except barrie has a 67% offensive zone start rate where dumba is 50-50 split with a far worse goalie.

Second, you do not know if kapanen is a top 6 forward in minnesota. You dont know if his play style fits minnesota. You just assume he would slot into their top 6 which is likely that doesnt give him top 6 forward value. They have too many aging vets that i doubt it would be a good fit. They also need centermen far more than they need wingers since koivu is 35, staal is also 35. Their farm system was ranked 22nd in the nhl in august. I cant imagine that has gotten any better recently. Adding a 21 year old unproven dman for a 26 year old proven dman seems like a step in the very wrong direction. Plenty of dmen at any age look great in the AHL. its a vastly inferior league.

Lastly, San Jose has 3 over 30 dmen on massive contracts. they had really 2 lines of sustained offense last year and when pavelski left that dropped to one. Jones has been atrocious and thats partly because of how quickly vlasic is aging, how poor burns defense is, and how poor EK defense is. Im sure they didnt expect this level drop off this immediately but it wasnt completely out of the question that if EK had another down year that they would be bottom dwellers. They had the oldest roster in the nhl with zero depth and zero farm system. It was inevitable they collapsed and started to rebuild. That happened alot sooner than they hoped.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll