Holland is our king

Created by: Miguelicious
Team: 2020-21 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 5, 2020
Published: Mar. 5, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Line 1
AA gets his audition on the creme-de-la-creme line with 97 and 44.
This should be a FAST and HEAVY line that would just terrorize the opposition.

Line 2
Don't mess with perfection.
Nuff said.

Line 3
The acquisition of Glendening and Fast, along with Ennis gives this team what it's been missing: a true 3rd line with speed to burn and enough defensive conscience to not get lit up night after night.

Line 4
We already know what Shea and Archi bring, pair them up with another speedster who had a limited but good showing in Nygard and this is yet another line that pairs solid defensive prowess and blazing fast speed.

The bottom six is now solidified and should be one of, if not the fastest set of six in the league. The top six now gets cemented into what you'd expect from a playoff team: high end skill on both lines, with a big body each who can muck it up if need be.

D-corps
For all intents and purposes, the Oilers do not have a 1st pair. Instead they have 2a and 2b if we're going with contender comparisons. The emergence of Bear as a solid top4 option and the continued development of Nurse will eat up minutes as will the veteran lineup of Klefbom and Larsson. Jones and Bouchard will have to play sheltered minutes in the first half and see where they go. Benning can sub in depending on who they're playing against.

Goalies
Nothing against Mike Smith, ut the opportunity to land Halak is really enticing especially when he's shown he can still play at a near-elite level. Another year of 1a/1b.

Capspace
The trades were made as to not follow the Leaf model. There is ample space for a decent move or two come trade deadline for rentals and there is sufficient space to re-up core players in the offseason.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,500,000
7$4,250,000
1$1,750,000
1$950,000
2$950,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,750,000
2$1,500,000
2$1,500,000
1$850,000
1$850,000
1$3,250,000
2$2,850,000
Trades
OTT
  1. Chiasson, Alex ($650,000 retained)
  2. Russell, Kris ($500,000 retained)
  3. 2021 4th round pick (EDM)
  4. 2021 6th round pick (PIT)
DET
  1. Neal, James
  2. Puljujärvi, Jesse [Reserve List]
  3. 2020 6th round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$88,000,000$82,391,032$341,534$730,000$5,608,968

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 6
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 5
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
RW
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,850,000$2,850,000
RW
UFA - 3
$875,000$875,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 2
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RD
RFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$4,875,000$4,875,000
RW
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$6,083,333$6,083,333
C
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 5, 2020 at 1:37 p.m.
rip
oh my
Mar. 5, 2020 at 1:38 p.m.
I dont think teams want to trade their LTIR due to insurance pays them I think.
aedoran liked this.
Mar. 5, 2020 at 1:40 p.m.
Dont think OTT is the team to move Chaisson to. Gaborik is needed as a cap hit with low actual money payed (insurance) and they have soooo many young forward options ready to play in the bigs next year. Russel and a mid round pick to OTT after July 1 makes sense though (4 mill cap hit with 1.5 mil in real cash).
Mar. 5, 2020 at 1:42 p.m.
Banned
No reason to deal Zetterberg he cost us absolutely noting on LTIR, Cost you far more then Pool-Party+6th for Detroit to take on Neals contract for the next 3 years or so. Like i stated numerous times Pool-Party is pretty much a glorified AHLer right now.
aedoran liked this.
Mar. 5, 2020 at 1:47 p.m.
torontos finest
leaf model is pay a lot for your stars because some bonehead set the standard when he gave a non ppg player 8.5 million

regardless, those trades aren't accepted.
Mar. 5, 2020 at 1:50 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
Quoting: Copenhagen
I dont think teams want to trade their LTIR due to insurance pays them I think.

Quoting: wardbell92
Dont think OTT is the team to move Chaisson to. Gaborik is needed as a cap hit with low actual money payed (insurance) and they have soooo many young forward options ready to play in the bigs next year. Russel and a mid round pick to OTT after July 1 makes sense though (4 mill cap hit with 1.5 mil in real cash).

Quoting: DiehardRedWingsFan58
No reason to deal Zetterberg he cost us absolutely noting on LTIR, Cost you far more then Pool-Party+6th for Detroit to take on Neals contract for the next 3 years or so. Like i stated numerous times Pool-Party is pretty much a glorified AHLer right now.

Mmm did not know that LTIR was paid for by insurance. That does change a bunch of stuff. Will do an updated set sometime. Thanks for the feedback!

..Otherwise, was I on track with players to bring in? Were the contracts I handed out close to what you would do?
Mar. 5, 2020 at 1:58 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
Quoting: mondo
leaf model is pay a lot for your stars because some bonehead set the standard when he gave a non ppg player 8.5 million

regardless, those trades aren't accepted.

That bonehead not only won that deal by a landslide, he locked up our number 1 D for 4.2M for another 3 years.
Dumb as his other moves were, you can't deny he had kahunas to roll the dice on a very educated guess like Draisaitl.

Just because PC won those deals does not excuse the piss poor gambles you clowns tried and lost with the whole "We'll pay Matthews close to McDavid in the hopes he turns into him one day" or "Hey lets hand out another 10.6M contract to the player who actually performed the best the past couple seasons".

But wait, there's more! Let's not forget such classics such as "Oh you didn't tell me you had Leaf pajamas as a kid, so here's an 11M contract for yet another forward so we have no choice but to completely ignore our D" and of course "Are you mad at me buddy? Don't worry, take a break til Dec 1 and I'll just pretend to be a hardass and cave at the last minute".

What you eat wont make me poop, so good on PC for winning more gambles than he lost, and cheers to the leafs who thought they could do the same and failed.
CD282 liked this.
Mar. 5, 2020 at 2:14 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Miguelicious
That bonehead not only won that deal by a landslide, he locked up our number 1 D for 4.2M for another 3 years.
Dumb as his other moves were, you can't deny he had kahunas to roll the dice on a very educated guess like Draisaitl.

Just because PC won those deals does not excuse the piss poor gambles you clowns tried and lost with the whole "We'll pay Matthews close to McDavid in the hopes he turns into him one day" or "Hey lets hand out another 10.6M contract to the player who actually performed the best the past couple seasons".

But wait, there's more! Let's not forget such classics such as "Oh you didn't tell me you had Leaf pajamas as a kid, so here's an 11M contract for yet another forward so we have no choice but to completely ignore our D" and of course "Are you mad at me buddy? Don't worry, take a break til Dec 1 and I'll just pretend to be a hardass and cave at the last minute".

What you eat wont make me poop, so good on PC for winning more gambles than he lost, and cheers to the leafs who thought they could do the same and failed.

ah yes paying over 10 million for guaranteed elite players is a gamble. sorry all our players were actually worth the money when they went to negotiate, sometimes that just happens and you don't have the space to sign mikko kosknien, kris russell and milan lucic.

chai made more bad moves than good. edmonton would've been a much better place.

man, a whole two winning seasons with mcdavid on your team and suddenly oilers fans get really snippy.
Mar. 5, 2020 at 2:19 p.m.
ah yes paying over 10 million for guaranteed elite players is a gamble. sorry all our players were actually worth the money when they went to negotiate, sometimes that just happens and you don't have the space to sign mikko kosknien, kris russell and milan lucic.

man, a whole two winning seasons with mcdavid on your team and suddenly oilers fans get really snippy.

So after Drai is locked up. Leafs Dubas said I see you one and raise you one
Miguelicious liked this.
Mar. 5, 2020 at 3:02 p.m.
Oil Country Rising

Lol at "guaranteed elite". The qualification of elite changes every year, which is exactly why deals like the Klefbom (not elite, but principle applies) and Draisaitl one were considered as gambles.
Same reason you paid Glassman Matthews, Mickey Mouse Marner, and Willie Nillie more than what they were worth.

You're telling me the logic behind them was off?
You called Draisaitl a "less than ppg player" when he got paid and deemed it a "bonehead" move.
Yet signing oft-injured, playoff-invisible, also less than ppg guy Matthews as a genius move because he's supposedly "guaranteed elite"?

There was only ever 1 guy who was "guaranteed elite" and that was pajama boy as he is a proven commodity.
One might argue Marner as a close second, but really shouldn't have been much more than Draisaitl money.

Funny thing is, you guys got caught up in the "Matthews is better than McDavid" nonsense that you failed to see him for what he actually is: a prolific goal scorer, but is lacking as a playmaker and is not a game breaker every shift he's on. Matthews makes the highlight reel goal, maybe 35 of his 50 in a year will be highlight worthy. But for the rest of the games he doesn't really get you much else. Good two way game, but that's about it.
Then you paid him like he poops gold.
Then you put the dude who was actually piling up the points for you (Marner) on the backburner and tried to sign him for less.. which he understandably said "go pound sand".

If they signed Marner first, gave him 9M noone would be joking about it.
But you waited until two less proven players (one of which is supposedly much more elite, almost Godlike in your eyes really) got OVERpaid!
Then circle back to the one putting up the tangible numbers and said "Hey we kinda overpaid on Willie and Glassy, would you take a huge discount the other two didn't?"

The bonehead overpays didnt start with PC. It started when your "whiz kid" GM got his priorities wrong, so you had no choice but to overpay them all lol.
Mar. 5, 2020 at 3:13 p.m.
torontos finest
Lol at "guaranteed elite". The qualification of elite changes every year, which is exactly why deals like the Klefbom (not elite, but principle applies) and Draisaitl one were considered as gambles.
Same reason you paid Glassman Matthews, Mickey Mouse Marner, and Willie Nillie more than what they were worth.

You're telling me the logic behind them was off?
You called Draisaitl a "less than ppg player" when he got paid and deemed it a "bonehead" move.
Yet signing oft-injured, playoff-invisible, also less than ppg guy Matthews as a genius move because he's supposedly "guaranteed elite"?

There was only ever 1 guy who was "guaranteed elite" and that was pajama boy as he is a proven commodity.
One might argue Marner as a close second, but really shouldn't have been much more than Draisaitl money.

Funny thing is, you guys got caught up in the "Matthews is better than McDavid" nonsense that you failed to see him for what he actually is: a prolific goal scorer, but is lacking as a playmaker and is not a game breaker every shift he's on. Matthews makes the highlight reel goal, maybe 35 of his 50 in a year will be highlight worthy. But for the rest of the games he doesn't really get you much else. Good two way game, but that's about it.
Then you paid him like he poops gold.
Then you put the dude who was actually piling up the points for you (Marner) on the backburner and tried to sign him for less.. which he understandably said "go pound sand".

If they signed Marner first, gave him 9M noone would be joking about it.
But you waited until two less proven players (one of which is supposedly much more elite, almost Godlike in your eyes really) got OVERpaid!
Then circle back to the one putting up the tangible numbers and said "Hey we kinda overpaid on Willie and Glassy, would you take a huge discount the other two didn't?"

The bonehead overpays didnt start with PC. It started when your "whiz kid" GM got his priorities wrong, so you had no choice but to overpay them all lol.

I can't tell if you're upset that I didn't call Draisaitl guaranteed elite or that I called the Leafs players guaranteed elite.

Don't believe I ever said or implied Matthews is better than McDavid.
Mar. 5, 2020 at 3:24 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
I can't tell if you're upset that I didn't call Draisaitl guaranteed elite or that I called the Leafs players guaranteed elite.

Don't believe I ever said or implied Matthews is better than McDavid.

Same boat, different reaction. Just calling out your blatant hypocrisy that's all.

Oh don't you worry, your brethren been saying that since the day you drafted him.

Playing dumb is harder in hindsight, especially when you've been proven wrong.

Also, same again with the "two years with McDavid and you guys get snippy"
I thought that as someone who belongs to a fanbase who cheers for a team having accomplished nothing for a half century and still threw shade like nobody's business, you would understand lmao.
Mar. 5, 2020 at 3:53 p.m.
torontos finest
Same boat, different reaction. Just calling out your blatant hypocrisy that's all.

Oh don't you worry, your brethren been saying that since the day you drafted him.

Playing dumb is harder in hindsight, especially when you've been proven wrong.

Also, same again with the "two years with McDavid and you guys get snippy"
I thought that as someone who belongs to a fanbase who cheers for a team having accomplished nothing for a half century and still threw shade like nobody's business, you would understand lmao.

Matthews and Marner were statistically better than Draisaitl in their contract years. That's not hypocrisy. My original point was that the Draisaitl contract set a standard on giving RFA's large raises based on expected performance.

Even though Toronto paid a lot for their guys they're still a competitive team. The "Leaf Model" would be not paying 3-6 million on guys that are just going to take up space like Chairelli did. Your own ACGM banks on clearing 12 million in cap space and exchanging it for LITR players (GEE I WONDER WHAT TEAM IS DOING THAT?!?). Toronto has done a much better job in managing their cap space than the Oilers despite their setbacks.
Mar. 5, 2020 at 4:11 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
Matthews and Marner were statistically better than Draisaitl in their contract years. That's not hypocrisy. My original point was that the Draisaitl contract set a standard on giving RFA's large raises based on expected performance.

Even though Toronto paid a lot for their guys they're still a competitive team. The "Leaf Model" would be not paying 3-6 million on guys that are just going to take up space like Chairelli did. Your own ACGM banks on clearing 12 million in cap space and exchanging it for LITR players (GEE I WONDER WHAT TEAM IS DOING THAT?!?). Toronto has done a much better job in managing their cap space than the Oilers despite their setbacks.

Are you kidding me? Large raises for expected performance has been a thing for a LONG time. Let's not pretend PC was the first to do that.
Some of them fail (like your leafs), some of them work out.

If your idea of "competitive" is simply being good in the regular season, then I've got news for you. That craphole team is so unbelievably bare on D, that when the goalie doesnt bail you out every night or if the forwards can't outscore the team's mistakes you lose! Ever wonder why its been 50+ years since you had anything? It's cause you think your poop don't stink when in fact, it stinks just like everyone else's.

The laffs boast one of the best, if not the best quartet of forwards in the game, yet they are simply mediocre as a team: great regular season, zero postseason success.
Playing an extra week and a half before joining the rest of us in the golf course doesnt mean strutting in all high and mighty is all of a sudden justifiable.

And as for the reasoning behind this, your Laffs gave me the idea!
Did you want to tell me when Horton is going to suit up for the team this year?
There's also the fact that I didn't know insurance actually pays and not the team, figured that cash short teams like OTT would much rather pay a player on the ice than on the mend.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll