Forums/Armchair-GM

Sustained Success

Created by: avsjunkie11
Team: 2020-21 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 6, 2020
Published: Mar. 6, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
New contracts for the kids who are having career years in hopes to keep the group together to continue the chemistry. I think Namestnikov is an upgrate over Nieto in terms of physicality and skill.
Let's discuss over some comments.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$875,000
3$750,000
3$850,000
3$750,000
3$750,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,250,000
1$1,750,000
3$2,750,000
3$3,750,000
2$3,550,000
2$950,000
1$925,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
1$925,000
2$2,500,000
1$900,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$84,000,000$78,710,595$0$2,500,000$5,289,405

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$5,571,429$5,571,429
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 5
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
RW
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD
UFA - 3
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RD
UFA - 1
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 7
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,550,000$3,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,450,000$3,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
C
RFA
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 6, 2020 at 3:36 p.m.
Dr.
Contracts are hard to determine but i'm sure they will all be around those prices with those years. I agree with you where namestikov is an upgrade over nieto and it would seem like a waste to let him walk but i think he's gonna want to play more minutes, and on other teams he can do that. Nieto has kind of accepted his role and a 4th liner and knows where he will play. Also kaut has proven he can play in the nhl and most likely will be on the team next season so that's another spot you have to make room for.
Mar. 6, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Quoting: ArakinSkywalker
Contracts are hard to determine but i'm sure they will all be around those prices with those years. I agree with you where namestikov is an upgrade over nieto and it would seem like a waste to let him walk but i think he's gonna want to play more minutes, and on other teams he can do that. Nieto has kind of accepted his role and a 4th liner and knows where he will play. Also kaut has proven he can play in the nhl and most likely will be on the team next season so that's another spot you have to make room for.

With kaut in the roster you're looking at losing namestikov or nishkuchin, possibly trading jost and/or defenseman with timmins ready and byram having a wasted year in whl
Mar. 6, 2020 at 8:53 p.m.
Quoting: ArakinSkywalker

I do agree with what you're saying in terms of Namestnikov wanting to play more minutes and another team will surely outbid this contract for more playing time, this is just my ideal roster in my personal opinion. Nieto for sure is making the most of his opportunity in Colorado and it will be interesting to see if he's re-signed. I don't dislike him by any means.
Kaut certainly showed he belongs, but was thinking another year of refinement would do him and the team well.
Mar. 6, 2020 at 9:01 p.m.
Quoting: JeffW
With kaut in the roster you're looking at losing namestikov or nishkuchin, possibly trading jost and/or defenseman with timmins ready and byram having a wasted year in whl

Nichushkin is for sure getting another year, he's been real good.

I don't know why everyone is on the trade Jost wagon. He and Compher have very comparable numbers, games played and points and Compher got himself that nice deal. Why isn't it safe to forsee Jost getting the same? I understand, based on his draft status more is "expected" of him but I think he's staying.

I also don't think Timmins is ready, otherwise I think he'd be the 1st defense call-up right now.

As for Byram, why not let him continue to dominate and develop his leadership qualities before making the jump? There's no sense in giving players away in trades for the sake of bringing a kid up to play minimal minutes.
Mar. 7, 2020 at 10:25 p.m.
They won’t sign Smirnov, Kamenev or Weiss. Can’t sign Kovalenko until next year. Alt won’t get an NHL contract. They won’t sign both Barberio or Connauton if either. I don’t think they’ll sign Namestikov because of Bowers and Kaut. Huge over pays on Jost and Graves, they are RFA’s with no leverage. And Byram is going to be on the Avs next year period, another year in juniors has no upside whatsoever he is ready for the NHL. IMO one of Z or Graves is gone to make space for him probably Z. Burkovsky’s contract is probably a little low considering what he is already making.
Mar. 7, 2020 at 10:29 p.m.
Quoting: avsjunkie11

As for Byram, why not let him continue to dominate and develop his leadership qualities before making the jump? There's no sense in giving players away in trades for the sake of bringing a kid up to play minimal minutes.

He doesn’t need those things, and he won’t get minimal minutes, he was the 4th overall pick for a reason and playing at a 2 PPG pace in February proves it. Especially if you believe some of the rumors the Avs are thinking of bringing him up for the playoffs ala Makar.
Mar. 9, 2020 at 10:49 a.m.
Quoting: Xqb15
They won’t sign Smirnov, Kamenev or Weiss. Can’t sign Kovalenko until next year. Alt won’t get an NHL contract. They won’t sign both Barberio or Connauton if either. I don’t think they’ll sign Namestikov because of Bowers and Kaut. Huge over pays on Jost and Graves, they are RFA’s with no leverage. And Byram is going to be on the Avs next year period, another year in juniors has no upside whatsoever he is ready for the NHL. IMO one of Z or Graves is gone to make space for him probably Z. Burkovsky’s contract is probably a little low considering what he is already making.

Smirnov, Weiss, Alt, Barberio, Connauton are all AHL/Depth signings. Just trying to fill the depth charts lol. Don't know much about signing rules for Kovalenko so my bad?

I know the Jost contract might be scary for everyone but I'm confused as to why everyone thinks Jost is a bust/getting traded when Compher has almost identical numbers, points-wise but nobody batted an eye when he got 4x3.5M. I just figured Jost deserved something similar if we were looking at RFA comparables.
Graves is having himself a tremendous season and I was thinking he should get a deal like this to reward it but also not blow it out of proportion in case its a fluke of a season (which I doubt).
As for Byram, he'll just have to continue to dominate so the Avs have no choice but to bring him in. Obviously I'd love to see him play ASAP but I'd also love to see a roster with experience while they don't have to rely on cheap ELC's (like they will have to start doing at the start of the 2021-2022 season).
Mar. 9, 2020 at 11:39 a.m.
Quoting: avsjunkie11
Smirnov, Weiss, Alt, Barberio, Connauton are all AHL/Depth signings. Just trying to fill the depth charts lol. Don't know much about signing rules for Kovalenko so my bad?

I know the Jost contract might be scary for everyone but I'm confused as to why everyone thinks Jost is a bust/getting traded when Compher has almost identical numbers, points-wise but nobody batted an eye when he got 4x3.5M. I just figured Jost deserved something similar if we were looking at RFA comparables.
Graves is having himself a tremendous season and I was thinking he should get a deal like this to reward it but also not blow it out of proportion in case its a fluke of a season (which I doubt).
As for Byram, he'll just have to continue to dominate so the Avs have no choice but to bring him in. Obviously I'd love to see him play ASAP but I'd also love to see a roster with experience while they don't have to rely on cheap ELC's (like they will have to start doing at the start of the 2021-2022 season).

Smirnov at the absolute best gets an AHL deal. Weiss isn’t ready for pro hockey, and will be back at UNO. Barberio and Connauton AREN’T signing AHL or two way deals and they are UFA’s they will go where they can get the best combination of $/playing time. If Z or Graves were traded I could see them maybe bring Barberio back. Graves and Jost are RFA’s and in Graves case he has had a nice season but you don’t reward a nice season (his only one) with a ridiculous over pay. My best is 2 x 2.25 which is a massive raise for him. As for Jost, Compher isn’t a comp, until very recently Jost hasn’t killed penalties, and he hasn’t had the impact Compher has had and unless I am mistaken Compher’s contract pushes him out a year from becoming a UFA, all stuff you pay a little more for. I’m not one of those fire sale Jost guys but honestly a 2 yr $1.5M deal gets it done.

“Roster of experience...Rely on cheap ELC’s”. None of your statements are more wrong. If you have a team that is a contender like the Avs and they have a talent like Byram(who is an elite prospect and probably not just the best Avs prospect but the best defensive prospect in the NHL) and they are so good that forces you to play them, that is gold, found money, the lottery. Because it allows you to spend money elsewhere to increase your talent level. You play your best player period. Byram is a top pairing dman, that makes the Avs better playing a less talented dman because he has more experience is dumb.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll