Forums/Armchair-GM

The High but realistic cost of each Canes defender

Created by: Wqrrior
Team: 2020-21 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 8, 2020
Published: Mar. 8, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
destinations aren't meant to be realistic, nor do i even assume that any of these happen. but from a value perspective, this is what, if I were a canes fan, would be asking for.
Trades
CAR
  1. Nylander, William
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (TOR)
CAR
  1. 2020 1st round pick (CAR)
CAR
  1. Pulock, Ryan [RFA Rights]
NYI
  1. Hamilton, Dougie
Additional Details:
1 year of Hamilton = multiple of Pulock
CAR
  1. Romanov, Alexander [Reserve List]
  2. Suzuki, Nick
  3. 2021 1st round pick (MTL)
  4. 2021 3rd round pick (MTL)
  5. 2022 2nd round pick (MTL)
CAR
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (FLA)
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (FLA)
CAR
  1. Puljujärvi, Jesse [Reserve List]
  2. 2021 3rd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Fleury, Haydn [RFA Rights]
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
16$85,000,000$58,675,521$1,367,073$3,632,500$26,324,479
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$8,460,250$8,460,250
C
UFA - 4
$5,400,000$5,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,375,000$3,375,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RW
RFA - 2
$763,333$763,333 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
C, RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,125,000$3,125,000
G
UFA - 1
$737,500$737,500
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 8, 2020 at 10:15 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
One year of Hamilton definitely does not equal Pulock.
Don't see why the Leafs need to add a pick for Pesce and the Habs would be crazy to trade all of that for Slavin, the other trades all seem pretty fair and accurate.
GMs and GenXHockey liked this.
Mar. 8, 2020 at 10:22 p.m.
These are all too much. You would be lucky to get a third for Gardiner
Mar. 8, 2020 at 10:29 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
One year of Hamilton definitely does not equal Pulock.
Don't see why the Leafs need to add a pick for Pesce and the Habs would be crazy to trade all of that for Slavin, the other trades all seem pretty fair and accurate.

Per the description, the team chosen is meaningless. However, that's the appropriate value to pry Slavin out of CAR. He is a top 10 defenseman in this league and on perhaps the league's best contract for defensemen - and those don't come easily. They'd have to pay some pretty darn good prospects and draft picks. I used MTL because they have a wide variety of prospects to choose from to illustrate that.

As for the Pulock trade, Hamilton is definitely the better defenseman and likely the one that would make the most immediate impact to wherever he is traded. It's hard to gauge the value of a rental, but we can be assured that if Hamilton gets moved, it would be significantly above market value.

Quoting: papishark
These are all too much. You would be lucky to get a third for Gardiner

He has gained a significant chunk of value back as the season as progressed. If you said this 4 months ago I would have agreed. I'd downgrade to a 2nd and a 3rd.
Mar. 8, 2020 at 10:57 p.m.
you have to stop pushing in the Qtip when there is resistance
Mar. 8, 2020 at 11:01 p.m.
Quoting: ithinkimrational
you have to stop pushing in the Qtip when there is resistance

The issue is, that the other teams undervalue this team's D core significantly. If CAR had a market like Toronto, we would all be valuing these players much the same. I am very strong on my assessments on Slavin and Pesce. I could be reasoned with on Hamilton and Gardiner.
Mar. 8, 2020 at 11:32 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Wqrrior
The issue is, that the other teams undervalue this team's D core significantly. If CAR had a market like Toronto, we would all be valuing these players much the same. I am very strong on my assessments on Slavin and Pesce. I could be reasoned with on Hamilton and Gardiner.

I think the canes have the best d core in the league when healthy. I am heavy into analytics just as much as the canes are when it comes to player evaluation.

Pesce. Is. Not. Worth. Nylander.
He never was and he still isn't. The fact that you have Toronto adding here is laughable.

A good portion of this AGM is an absolute tire fire.
Skjei is not as good as his reputation on here (he isn't that good) and shouldnt cost that much considering he'd be a salary dump. Maybe CAR and clearsight thinks they can rehab him but public data is skeptical on his ability which as of now is not worth much.

And I don't even know what to say about that Hamilton trade. He is a Norris calibre dman. I get that there is one year left, but to suggest he will be traded as a rental (for a rental price) rather than being extended or traded with extension is... Woof.
Dan10900 liked this.
Mar. 8, 2020 at 11:33 p.m.
GM Game v1 v2
I understand the basis for the Slavin trade. I understand the ask should be high, but would you think something similar like this could work instead?

CAR gives:
Slavin

MTL gives:
Domi (RFA)
Romanov
2021 1st
2022 2nd
Mar. 8, 2020 at 11:38 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
I think the canes have the best d core in the league when healthy. I am heavy into analytics just as much as the canes are when it comes to player evaluation.

Pesce. Is. Not. Worth. Nylander.
He never was and he still isn't. The fact that you have Toronto adding here is laughable.

A good portion of this AGM is an absolute tire fire.
Skjei is not as good as his reputation on here (he isn't that good) and shouldnt cost that much considering he'd be a salary dump. Maybe CAR and clearsight thinks they can rehab him but public data is skeptical on his ability which as of now is not worth much.

And I don't even know what to say about that Hamilton trade. He is a Norris calibre dman. I get that there is one year left, but to suggest he will be traded as a rental (for a rental price) rather than being extended or traded with extension is... Woof.

Pesce is immediately Toronto's #2 guy. He is better than Muzzin. Top pair defenseman equate to top six forwards on the trade market. Not to mention the value of cap in this league. Practically 3 million in savings for 5 years - 15 million would cost significant value in cap dumps, why shouldn't that pull Pesce's value up.

I literally traded Skjei back for exactly what he cost. Didn't alter anything there, and I agree that that trade should probably not have happened.

I didn't suggest Hamilton be traded. The whole purpose of this is to find what a player's value is. That doesn't mean they actually should be traded. But if in the .001% chance that Carolina becomes a tire fire next year (aka pulls a NJD) and reasons that they must move Hamilton, I'm expecting a pretty dang good package. I don't think trading a norris defenseman without term for a top 4 defenseman on term is rediculous. Pulock himself is inflated by the Isles defensive system. His flaws would show more if he were moved.
Mar. 8, 2020 at 11:40 p.m.
Quoting: We_Want_The_Cup
I understand the basis for the Slavin trade. I understand the ask should be high, but would you think something similar like this could work instead?

CAR gives:
Slavin

MTL gives:
Domi (RFA)
Romanov
2021 1st
2022 2nd

Thank you for being reasonable.
It's an interesting proposal, but Domi < Suzuki in terms of value. Instead of removing the 3rd, it should probably be upgraded to a 2nd. That would likely meet the value standpoint, though realistically no trade of that sort will happen.
Mar. 9, 2020 at 1:06 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Wqrrior
Pesce is immediately Toronto's #2 guy. He is better than Muzzin. Top pair defenseman equate to top six forwards on the trade market. Not to mention the value of cap in this league. Practically 3 million in savings for 5 years - 15 million would cost significant value in cap dumps, why shouldn't that pull Pesce's value up.

I literally traded Skjei back for exactly what he cost. Didn't alter anything there, and I agree that that trade should probably not have happened.

I didn't suggest Hamilton be traded. The whole purpose of this is to find what a player's value is. That doesn't mean they actually should be traded. But if in the .001% chance that Carolina becomes a tire fire next year (aka pulls a NJD) and reasons that they must move Hamilton, I'm expecting a pretty dang good package. I don't think trading a norris defenseman without term for a top 4 defenseman on term is rediculous. Pulock himself is inflated by the Isles defensive system. His flaws would show more if he were moved.

Pesce not being worth Nylander isn't because of any fault with Pesce, it is because Nylander is in lock step with Marner and always was. He is comically undervalued by large sections of the hockey world. Before your go saying that I am only saying this because Marner is having a down year and Willy is hot, I've been saying this since before the contracts and even last year. You don't trade a player as good as Nylander for a #2Dman.

Just because the Canes overpaid for Skjei doesn't mean he is worth that.

When I say suggest, I mean in the context of the theoretical situation that this AGM exists. He isn't being traded for a pittance. Period.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll