SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Corona Virus

Mar. 12, 2020 at 11:28 a.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I think the first step the NHL will take (today) is to play games in empty arenas. They may decide to have every team play to the same number of games and then stop.

i think they are suspending the season and resuming in april with start of the playoffs.
Mar. 12, 2020 at 1:04 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
@palhal As to your point about financial impact:

As you know, my wife and I are retired and elderly. As a result, we find it difficult to make dinner for ourselves every night, and so usually go out to eat two or three times per week. What will happen if people like us decide we can't run the risk of going to restaurants? One of the four places we frequent on a regular basis is owned and operated by an elderly Thai woman who has only one employee -- her cook. What happens to them if their business craters? How about all the concessionaire stand employees at ball parks? If baseball games are played in empty stadiums, there won't be any long beer lines but those people won't have jobs, either. I see the makings for more than a recession here.
palhal liked this.
Mar. 12, 2020 at 1:58 p.m.
gregb569
Quoting: hanson493
I dont see the major issue with coronavirus. More of a media product than a real health issue. RIGHT NOW the only real people that are dying are the old and the sick. The CDC said that most people wont even realize they have it as symptoms just wont show up.

this didn't age well
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 12, 2020 at 1:59 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
i think they are suspending the season and resuming in april with start of the playoffs.

But my teams are both out of the playoffs lol
Mar. 12, 2020 at 2:10 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: palhal
Gents.

Just for a revenue point of view....is the threat or the reality of the coronavirus going to affect the pro teams.?
Are fans going to stay away from arenas/stadiums? Will fans not make trips to other cities? If recessionary, will fans not have the discretionary income to spend money attending sports events and related pro sports products
The Canadian dollar has gone lower due to lower oil prices, which is continue will affect the NHL total revenues.
There big worldwide ramifications if the virus turns into a true world wide health issue long term. Just saying pro sports might be really affected too.

the NHL has insurance for most of the financial issues involved.
My guess is it will cover it.
Mar. 12, 2020 at 2:15 p.m.
Quoting: gregb569
this didn't age well

how so its my opinion which carries zero weight or insight. I still dont see the major HEALTH issue here. its spreading. okay. the death rate is extremely low.
rangers300 liked this.
Mar. 12, 2020 at 2:38 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
the NHL has insurance for most of the financial issues involved.
My guess is it will cover it.

my only counter argument is what happens if nobody is working to put into the insurance. companies gunna lose some REAL $$$
Mar. 12, 2020 at 2:45 p.m.
how so its my opinion which carries zero weight or insight. I still dont see the major HEALTH issue here. its spreading. okay. the death rate is extremely low.

Death rate for the spanish flu was like 3% and that killed 60-100 million people. The main goal right now is to reduce the spread
Mar. 12, 2020 at 2:50 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

Zero insight is right. It's ten to twenty times deadlier than the ordinary flu. If 100 million people get exposed and contract it, that's two million dead people. You might even know some of them.
gregb569 liked this.
Mar. 12, 2020 at 2:55 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I see the moron who posted the following "comment" has deleted it, so I'll resurrect it for archival purposes:

"give it time and you will be able to [get vaccinated against it]. you arent going to change my mind on this i dont think this is such a big deal if you do than (sic) you do you"

(1) While we're "giving it time" due to the current government's feckless incompetence, which prevented them from getting ahead of the virus, we may contract it and die from it. Then the arrival of a vaccine won't help us much, will it?

(2) I love the admission that you're impervious to education.

(3) If you catch it, I assume you won't mind if we don't think that's a big deal?
Mar. 12, 2020 at 2:57 p.m.
Zero insight is right. It's ten to twenty times deadlier than the ordinary flu. If 100 million people get exposed and contract it, that's two million dead people. You might even know some of them.

actually i have just seen some articles pop up that are saying its not as bad as is being said
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/02/28/i-have-coronavirus-so-far-it-isnt-that-bad/
Mar. 12, 2020 at 3:03 p.m.

10-20x based on what data? Korea has a .6% death rate with accurate testing. the more testing thats done, the lower the death rate goes. obviously the more people it reaches the more it kills but if 1/3 of the united states gets it and is tested and .6% die. How many dont die, get it, and arent tested. Literally been stated most of us will never see symptoms. So then the death rate becomes inaccurate and skewed.
Mar. 12, 2020 at 3:06 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
10-20x based on what data? Korea has a .6% death rate with accurate testing. the more testing thats done, the lower the death rate goes. obviously the more people it reaches the more it kills but if 1/3 of the united states gets it and is tested and .6% die. How many dont die, get it, and arent tested. Literally been stated most of us will never see symptoms. So then the death rate becomes inaccurate and skewed.

The last data reported by responsible sources is that in South Korea, the death rate is 2.4%. Allowing for a reasonable range of error, that's between 10 and 20 times the rate of death from ordinary strains of the flu virus. You, of course, may be getting your information from alternative sources.
Halidec liked this.
Mar. 12, 2020 at 3:13 p.m.
the site is deleting our posts...the big boys are pissed
Mar. 12, 2020 at 3:33 p.m.
Habs

It's important to take these major precautions so that the virus stops spreading altogether. If we don't stop it while the death rate is relatively low, then it will just continue to spread and rise.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 12, 2020 at 4:21 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: rangers300
the site is deleting our posts...the big boys are pissed

Stop making bad posts and they won't be deleted.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 12, 2020 at 5:13 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
imagine the NHL cancelling the rest of the season... oof. not gunna lie ide still go watch the bruins if tickets were cheap enough.

My wife is worried. No hockey, no basketball. She wasn't expecting to have a child in 9 months or so.....but with less to watch on TV, you never know.
Mar. 12, 2020 at 5:20 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
@palhal As to your point about financial impact:

As you know, my wife and I are retired and elderly. As a result, we find it difficult to make dinner for ourselves every night, and so usually go out to eat two or three times per week. What will happen if people like us decide we can't run the risk of going to restaurants? One of the four places we frequent on a regular basis is owned and operated by an elderly Thai woman who has only one employee -- her cook. What happens to them if their business craters? How about all the concessionaire stand employees at ball parks? If baseball games are played in empty stadiums, there won't be any long beer lines but those people won't have jobs, either. I see the makings for more than a recession here.

The domino effect in the economy could be catastrophic if people either are unemployed for the reasons you indicated above. I'm more concerned about the supply change of goods being severed. Could large food processors produce less because of ill or quarantined employees? Or any distribution disruption lessens the amount of good to the stores. I've actually have become stock up on non perishable foods. I recommend others to do the same. I have no problem storing and paying for my "stash", but many others without a second fridge/freezer or little discretionary income can't..
OldNYIfan and Halidec liked this.
Mar. 12, 2020 at 6:50 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: palhal
The domino effect in the economy could be catastrophic if people either are unemployed for the reasons you indicated above. I'm more concerned about the supply change of goods being severed. Could large food processors produce less because of ill or quarantined employees? Or any distribution disruption lessens the amount of good to the stores. I've actually have become stock up on non perishable foods. I recommend others to do the same. I have no problem storing and paying for my "stash", but many others without a second fridge/freezer or little discretionary income can't..

Half of our food we buy from grocery stores of one sort or another, but every Sunday from dawn to a little after noon there is an open-air farmers' market down Ivar Street between Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards one block west of Vine Street to Cahuenga. How are local farmers like that going to sell their produce? (We buy our bagels there and also our shrimp, believe it or not, plus our plants.)

What are people going to do about seeing a new movie?

What about gyms and other fitness centers?

This isn't going to be something the idiots blithely pass off as "no big deal" and "only the old people are going to get really sick"
palhal liked this.
Mar. 12, 2020 at 7:41 p.m.
Halidec

The issue with this is most experts think that it is mutating which is why it might be as high as about 10% death rate in Italy, also from what i've read the summer weather is not slowing it down south korea actually think it gets worse with heat. Yes korea is slowing down the amount of people getting it but to be honest thats cause of the drive thru clinics and the extensive measures they are taking. I truly feel that Trump needs to let the experts talk and stop lying to everyone and both Canada and the US should honestly think of doing similar things that South Korea have done.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 2, 2023 at 5:53 p.m.
and proud of it
Honestly it better not. I'm tired of everyone acting like Covid is the end of the world, and I want my hockey lol
Sep. 2, 2023 at 7:12 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: HockeyManiac95
Honestly it better not. I'm tired of everyone acting like Covid is the end of the world, and I want my hockey lol

me when i'm three years behind
Bflo_Soldier liked this.
Sep. 3, 2023 at 8:39 a.m.
and proud of it
Quoting: mondo
me when i'm three years behind

Naw I just realize that Covid isn't much worse than the flu and isn't going to kill average healthy people, much less NHL players. Besides, everyone has the vaccine now and if you don't you can get it pretty much anywhere for free, so what's the worry?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll