Off Season Leafs

Created by: Trevorchef
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 7, 2020
Published: Mar. 11, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Which Team(s) say no?

I'm going to guess that the Duck's fans have mixed reactions.
The Flames fans go bat-crap crazy with "no's"... and...
The Blue and White Goggled Leaf fans go on and on about losing term on Mitch Marner. (Which I will say in advance is an absolute joke if the return is Tkachuk).

Anyways.... This should be fun, lets begin.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,250,000
3$1,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
2$1,800,000
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$84,000,000$80,184,283$0$0$3,815,717
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$2,550,000$2,550,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$2,050,000$2,050,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$737,500$737,500
LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 11, 2020 at 12:10 p.m.
ANA accepts
Trevorchef and Lenny7 liked this.
Mar. 11, 2020 at 12:13 p.m.
Quoting: AFOX10900
ANA accepts

No **** lol. OP, this is a BIG overpay for Manson.
Lenny7 and Dan10900 liked this.
Mar. 11, 2020 at 12:15 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
No **** lol. OP, this is a BIG overpay for Manson.

I disagree but, whatever. That is why I opened the discussion. I don't expect the Ducks to accept anything less than something similar from anyone else if they even want to move Manson. You shouldn't either.
Lenny7 liked this.
Mar. 11, 2020 at 12:16 p.m.
Lenny7
Quoting: AFOX10900
ANA accepts

Agreed. I'd take it from the Ducks side, and IMO that's the value (minus maybe Johnsson...he's probably the guy that pushes the end value in Anaheim's direction...could include a mid tier prospect instead?)

I don't think that I'd really like it from a Toronto side...do they really want to go 3 years in a row without a 1st round pick?
Mar. 11, 2020 at 12:17 p.m.
Quoting: Lenny7
Agreed. I'd take it from the Ducks side, and IMO that's the value (minus maybe Johnsson...he's probably the guy that pushes the end value in Anaheim's direction...could include a mid tier prospect instead?)

I don't think that I'd really like it from a Toronto side...do they really want to go 3 years in a row without a 1st round pick?

That depends on how they evaluate their window to win I suppose.

I think it is around four years TBH. Manson would help us get there. That pick will not. Thanks for the feedback.
Lenny7 liked this.
Mar. 11, 2020 at 12:21 p.m.
HarryW1991
mikeyev and dermott would deny, maybe you get them at that aav on 1 year deal maybe
Mar. 11, 2020 at 12:22 p.m.
Lenny7
Quoting: Trevorchef
That depends on how they evaluate their window to win I suppose.

I think it is around four years TBH. Manson would help us get there. That pick will not. Thanks for the feedback.

That's fair. I mean, I'd absolutely accept it given that our window is different from yours...What do you think about changing Johnsson to a mid level guy like Hollowell or Lindgren? Or is Johnsson included to help your cap? If that's the case, Ducks could always retain a bit on Manson?
Mar. 11, 2020 at 12:23 p.m.
Banned
manson is not good enough to overpay for
Mar. 11, 2020 at 12:24 p.m.
That's fair. I mean, I'd absolutely accept it given that our window is different from yours...What do you think about changing Johnsson to a mid level guy like Hollowell or Lindgren? Or is Johnsson included to help your cap? If that's the case, Ducks could always retain a bit on Manson?

The cap is important, but not critical with the move. There does have to be salary going from a Leafs perspective. I'm not that big on Johnsson anyways. Especially since the only way that I would be comfortable moving him was if the other trade suggestion was to go through anyways. So, some perspective is required here.
Lenny7 liked this.
Mar. 11, 2020 at 12:28 p.m.
Quoting: vr1995
manson is not good enough to overpay for

I agree. I also don't think that is an overpay. The Leafs Right Side D is absolute trash. It needs fixing. Trading from a position of strength, (wingers), and future draft capital is the approach here IMO. Manson is better than Liljegren and we are already playing without AJ. The pick means nothing to me if there is no direct plan to win in the next four years by fixing what is wrong with this team.
Lenny7 liked this.
Mar. 11, 2020 at 12:28 p.m.
I disagree but, whatever. That is why I opened the discussion. I don't expect the Ducks to accept anything less than something similar from anyone else if they even want to move Manson. You shouldn't either.

The Ducks should accept the best offer they can get for Manson and they would be stupid not to. If it matches this (which would be a big overpay), I just hope he doesn't go to the Leafs. Manson is a mediocre Dman who is good at keeping the puck out his teams net, and not much else. You can get guys like this in FA or for cheaper in other trades. To give up a younger, cheaper winger, a good prospect, as well as a first for a 28 year old guy who is nothing special and also a UFA in two years... is a bad deal.
Lenny7 liked this.
Mar. 11, 2020 at 12:29 p.m.
Lenny7
The cap is important, but not critical with the move. There does have to be salary going from a Leafs perspective. I'm not that big on Johnsson anyways. Especially since the only way that I would be comfortable moving him was if the other trade suggestion was to go through anyways. So, some perspective is required here.

I mean, I'd be happy to take him if that's what pushes it to get done...Ducks could always flip him at some point.

Only thing Ducks-wise that I'd be wary of is that they'd be taking away minutes from a younger guy that could use them (Just wouldn't want to lose someone on waivers...)
Mar. 11, 2020 at 12:37 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I would say toronto on both.
Mar. 11, 2020 at 12:38 p.m.
Lenny7
Manson is a mediocre Dman who is good at keeping the puck out his teams net, and not much else. You can get guys like this in FA or for cheaper in other trades.

I don't know, the whole "He's very good at keeping the puck out of his teams net" thing would be pretty good for the Leafs, right? Offensively, it's not really like he gets much of a shot on a regular basis, especially when you consider that his offensive zone start %'s over the past 4 years have been 39.8%, 35.3%, 32.8%, and 43.0% (Career= 38.7%)...The one season that he actually got PP time, he put up 37 points. Not great, but it's clear that he could play up if needed (You shouldn't need that).

I think you can also add the intangibles that he brings as well..not that it should be a deciding factor on how good a player is, but he's an exceptional leader, and great locker room guy...that's why "Your wife does not love you as much as the Ducks love Manson"
Mar. 11, 2020 at 12:50 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

I watch a lot of Manson. He isn’t horrible but he isn’t amazing. Could slot in well with the leafs but this is certainly an overpay. Could be what the ducks demand if they don’t want to move Manson. I think at that point a smart GM moves on to a better trade partner.

The flames deal... wow! I would take that all day long as a flames fan. May need a bit of cap gymnastics but marner could make Monahan look like a true 1c. Allowing lindholm to slide down to 2C giving them a proper middle. You will hear a lot back from other flames fans but they aren’t looking at the bigger picture. Dermott being able to play the right side would be able to slot right in beside Hanafin if the are unable to re sign either of Brodie or Hamonic.

Leafs side.... ouch. That D is razor thin. Rosen playing his weak side and 2 injuries away from having to make a trade to fill in on the blue line.

The forward depth isn’t horrible but Bennet has been a black hole this year. Maybe a change of scenery could help.
Mar. 11, 2020 at 12:52 p.m.
I don't know, the whole "He's very good at keeping the puck out of his teams net" thing would be pretty good for the Leafs, right? Offensively, it's not really like he gets much of a shot on a regular basis, especially when you consider that his offensive zone start %'s over the past 4 years have been 39.8%, 35.3%, 32.8%, and 43.0% (Career= 38.7%)...The one season that he actually got PP time, he put up 37 points. Not great, but it's clear that he could play up if needed (You shouldn't need that).

I think you can also add the intangibles that he brings as well..not that it should be a deciding factor on how good a player is, but he's an exceptional leader, and great locker room guy...that's why "Your wife does not love you as much as the Ducks love Manson"

Don't get me wrong, I very much like Josh Manson and his style of play would absolutely be beneficial to the Leafs. He would be a great partner for Rielly IMO as I believe that complimentary D pairs are the way to go. The reason why Rielly was able to run free with Hainsey was because Hainsey accepted the defensive role. The only thing is that Hainsey was not good at the defensive role. Manson is. You're right, he does not get get much of a shot offensively. But that is because his best asset is his D-zone play. The Leafs have plenty of guys who can play an offensive style, if they are acquiring Manson it will be for his defense. The thing to me is, considering the role Manson would be playing in TOR, there are other guys who are about as good as him for much cheaper. I want Manson on the Leafs, but if this is the price...not so much.
Lenny7 liked this.
Mar. 11, 2020 at 12:56 p.m.
Lenny7
Don't get me wrong, I very much like Josh Manson and his style of play would absolutely be beneficial to the Leafs. He would be a great partner for Rielly IMO as I believe that complimentary D pairs are the way to go. The reason why Rielly was able to run free with Hainsey was because Hainsey accepted the defensive role. The only thing is that Hainsey was not good at the defensive role. Manson is. You're right, he does not get get much of a shot offensively. But that is because his best asset is his D-zone play. The Leafs have plenty of guys who can play an offensive style, if they are acquiring Manson it will be for his defense. The thing to me is, considering the role Manson would be playing in TOR, there are other guys who are about as good as him for much cheaper. I want Manson on the Leafs, but if this is the price...not so much.

Fair, and as a Ducks fan, I don't really see him being moved anyway. He'll be a solid mentor for the young guys coming up (Mahura, Larsson, Guhle, Axellllll, etc.), and in my mind, if the Ducks can add a top 4 RD this offseason, they *should* surprise a lot of teams next year. No point wasting one of the top 2-3 goalies on the planet.
Mar. 11, 2020 at 1:03 p.m.
Fair, and as a Ducks fan, I don't really see him being moved anyway. He'll be a solid mentor for the young guys coming up (Mahura, Larsson, Guhle, Axellllll, etc.), and in my mind, if the Ducks can add a top 4 RD this offseason, they *should* surprise a lot of teams next year. No point wasting one of the top 2-3 goalies on the planet.

I hope you're right. I've always kind of liked the Ducks for no particular reason. If they end up being better than I expect then good for them, I just hope that they don't sit on that fence of mediocrity where they aren't a playoff team, but won't get a high pick either. It is a shame to Gibson's years not amounting to much right now.
Lenny7 liked this.
Mar. 11, 2020 at 1:07 p.m.
Lenny7
I hope you're right. I've always kind of liked the Ducks for no particular reason. If they end up being better than I expect then good for them, I just hope that they don't sit on that fence of mediocrity where they aren't a playoff team, but won't get a high pick either. It is a shame to Gibson's years not amounting to much right now.

Yeah, I've been a bit worried over the past couple of weeks, because they're finally playing some good hockey, but they're going to push themselves to the 8-10 OA range in the draft...I always feel like a bad fan when I hope for losses, and really hate when teams tank, but I'd love a little lotto-love this year to maybe get Drysdale...
Mar. 11, 2020 at 1:15 p.m.
Yeah, I've been a bit worried over the past couple of weeks, because they're finally playing some good hockey, but they're going to push themselves to the 8-10 OA range in the draft...I always feel like a bad fan when I hope for losses, and really hate when teams tank, but I'd love a little lotto-love this year to maybe get Drysdale...

It does suck hoping for losses. The year that the Leafs were tanking was the only time I didn't watch every game that I possibly could've because there was just no winning, if they won it sucked because you want a high pick, if they lost it sucked watching them lose. It just felt like a waste of time. Having said that though, I don't hold it against teams at all if they tank. It's the best way to build a solid foundation for you're future. The reward for accepting/embracing that you suck is that, if you're smart, you won't suck for long.
Lenny7 and GenXHockey liked this.
Mar. 11, 2020 at 2:57 p.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
I would say toronto on both.

Well... Of course "you" would. That's no surprise.
Mar. 11, 2020 at 4:24 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Well... Of course "you" would. That's no surprise.

Both dubas and I... and most other gm’s. The trade value just isn’t there. Upheaving the roster for a 2nd year in a row won’t do much for chemistry. I get that these trades aren’t realistic and just for fun but I wouldn’t make either.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll