SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Where Do We Go From Here

How should the NHL finish this season!
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 13, 2020 at 1:50 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
What should the NHL do with the 2019-2020 season? It seems to me that there are two sensible alternatives:

1. Shorten the Regular Season

The first option is to finish the season out by having each team play the same but a reduced number of games, say 74, and then play a full four-round post-season.

2. Shorten the Stanley Cup Playoffs

The second option is to play the full season out but have an abbreviated three-round post-season. Only the top two finishers in each division would qualify.

Obviously, the amount of time remaining between the resumption of the regular season and July 1 would have an impact on which approach would be best.

What does everybody think?
Mar. 13, 2020 at 1:54 p.m.
Other:

go with 68gp as final schedule. go with standings on that date. then start playoffs. first round best of 5 rest is the same. dont leave 3 days in between games. you do not want games going past mid june. the ice will be literal slush.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 13, 2020 at 1:58 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I think it depends how long the delay is ... if it's two weeks, continue with the schedule as previously planned, just a little late. If it's a month, maybe go right to the playoffs of shorten the regular season to 74 games or whatever ... if it's three months, skip to the playoffs and do a shorter playoffs ... if it's five months, the season, unfortunately, shouldn't be finished.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 13, 2020 at 1:59 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: hanson493
Other:

go with 68gp as final schedule. go with standings on that date. then start playoffs. first round best of 5 rest is the same. dont leave 3 days in between games. you do not want games going past mid june. the ice will be literal slush.

An excellent suggestion. and completely equitable.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Mar. 13, 2020 at 2:06 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: OldNYIfan
An excellent suggestion. and completely equitable.

It sounds like the NHL is willing to do whatever they can to finish the season ... it's probably not going to be any longer than three months, so by mid-June, they could go with the top 8 teams in P/GP and then do a best-of-three for each round. If that begins June 12th (three months after the suspension if the season), it should be done around June 28th at the latest (the 2013 playoffs ended on June 24th and, had it gone to game 7, it would have ended on June 26th).
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 13, 2020 at 4:44 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
It sounds like the NHL is willing to do whatever they can to finish the season ... it's probably not going to be any longer than three months, so by mid-June, they could go with the top 8 teams in P/GP and then do a best-of-three for each round. If that begins June 12th (three months after the suspension if the season), it should be done around June 28th at the latest (the 2013 playoffs ended on June 24th and, had it gone to game 7, it would have ended on June 26th).

theres no way the playoffs would be done by june 28th if each game was a 3 game series that would be 12 games in 16 days.... also yuck.
Mar. 13, 2020 at 4:52 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Realistically speaking, the NHL should be prepared to play into July and rework the offseason schedule. If the league can shorten it down to say, a 74 game schedule and then do the playoffs as normal, they can play until early July, have the draft shortly after and then free agency a few days later. It's obviously not ideal and is going to make things tougher, but I don't think there's a better solution. I don't think the league should jump right into the playoffs, because the quality of hockey wouldn't be very good. Giving teams 4-6 games at the end of the regular season to get back into the swing of things and then the playoffs.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 17, 2020 at 12:11 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: krakowitz
Realistically speaking, the NHL should be prepared to play into July and rework the offseason schedule. If the league can shorten it down to say, a 74 game schedule and then do the playoffs as normal, they can play until early July, have the draft shortly after and then free agency a few days later. It's obviously not ideal and is going to make things tougher, but I don't think there's a better solution. I don't think the league should jump right into the playoffs, because the quality of hockey wouldn't be very good. Giving teams 4-6 games at the end of the regular season to get back into the swing of things and then the playoffs.

This is my feeling, too -- there needs to be a week or so of games to get everyone back in playing shape before launching into the playoffs.
Mar. 17, 2020 at 12:19 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
I'm really hoping that we can just play the season as it would have been, albeit delayed by a month or more. Teams that play far into the playoffs might not start of the season in the best shape, but some of that can be alleviated by a shorter preseason. I know this is unlikely, but this would be my best case scenario.

Plus the draft and free agency can just be pushed back to August, since those don't really have much effect, other than draft prospects playing in Europe, and free agents getting less time to adjust to their new teams. Although I don't think the latter would be too much of an issue, since most players don't spend the summer in their new cities anyways.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 17, 2020 at 12:23 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I'm really hoping that we can just play the season as it would have been, albeit delayed by a month or more. Teams that play far into the playoffs might not start of the season in the best shape, but some of that can be alleviated by a shorter preseason. I know this is unlikely, but this would be my best case scenario.

Plus the draft and free agency can just be pushed back to August, since those don't really have much effect, other than draft prospects playing in Europe, and free agents getting less time to adjust to their new teams. Although I don't think the latter would be too much of an issue, since most players don't spend the summer in their new cities anyways.

I'd like that, too, but I think it's unrealistic. You know how badly the ice deteriorates in June -- imagine how bad it's going to be the first two weeks in July. Some sort of truncation is going to be necessary.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Mar. 17, 2020 at 1:52 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I'd like that, too, but I think it's unrealistic. You know how badly the ice deteriorates in June -- imagine how bad it's going to be the first two weeks in July. Some sort of truncation is going to be necessary.

I know. As a fan of a team that will miss the playoffs, I just want to be able to watch the few games we have left, and I'm sure teams like the Rangers, or other teams that didn't get the chance to get in the playoffs won't accept a shortened regular season.

Although I don't see what the problem would be if we had more northern teams in the finals, since somewhere like Edmonton in the summer is about the same temperature as Florida in the winter, and they have no problems with keeping the ice during a normal NHL season. The only problem would be if you had Florida, Tampa Bay, or Dallas in the finals.
Mar. 17, 2020 at 3:33 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I know. As a fan of a team that will miss the playoffs, I just want to be able to watch the few games we have left, and I'm sure teams like the Rangers, or other teams that didn't get the chance to get in the playoffs won't accept a shortened regular season.

Although I don't see what the problem would be if we had more northern teams in the finals, since somewhere like Edmonton in the summer is about the same temperature as Florida in the winter, and they have no problems with keeping the ice during a normal NHL season. The only problem would be if you had Florida, Tampa Bay, or Dallas in the finals.

Don't forget Las Vegas, where it's normally over 90 degrees Faren. every day in late June. And the humidity in cities like St Louis, Nashville and Raleigh isn't conducive to good ice, either.

Frankly, I think a nice round-robin between the 7 Canadian teams (it IS your national sport, after all) -- four games against each other team -- would be a very nice way to decide the Stanley Cup this year.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit