SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

2020 Draft - No lottery due to cancelled season

2020 Draft - No lottery due to cancelled season

Draft Class: 2020
Created By: TMarch
Published: Mar. 16, 2020 at 5:04 p.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-No changes to his position in the rankings. Could be generational talent.
2Logo of the Ottawa Senators-A bad WJC doesn't mean much. Almost 10 months younger than Lafreniere. Guys barely making the cutoff in drafts (late birthdays) have good success, because they are doing it younger.
3Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the San Jose SharksThought about Stutzle here, but OTT needs Dmen too.
4Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-Could be the 2nd best player in this draft when it's all said and done. 17 yr old playing against men at a top level (albeit Germany).
5Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-If he's 6'0 instead of 5'9, does he go 2OA?
6Logo of the New Jersey Devils-Give me the scorer over the playmaker at this point.
7Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Perfect #2 C for BUF.
8Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Need wingers for all those Cs in the org.
9Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Could be a little early for him after a blah showing this year. CHI swinging for the fences.
10Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Arizona Coyotes2 years of playing against men in Finland should help his development. Good numbers too (~.55 PPG).
11Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Had an OK year at Wisconsin in what should have been a blowout season with all that talent. Turned into a big dud. One of the youngest guys in the college ranks.
12Logo of the Nashville Predators-Older player, but performed well in his "17 yr old" year as well.
13Logo of the Florida Panthers-Another player that played well in his 17 yr old year. Continued his play after a trade as well.
14Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Pretty good year in the USNTDP, going to North Dakota. Could be a 1 and done in college.
15Logo of the Calgary Flames-Little surprised he didn't play in the WJC this year, but played against men most of the year.
16Logo of the New York Rangers-Injuries keep setting him back a little bit. Playmaker more than a scorer.
17Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Good shot, good skating, good all around. Jack of all trades, master of none.
18Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York IslandersGood size for his age. Probably more of a defensive dman at this point though, which isn't all bad.
19Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Top 4 guy, more offense than his older brother, but could be on a similar trajectory.
20Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsPlayed all over the place this year, but got 24 games with men at age 17.
21Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Carolina HurricanesScorer more than a playmaker (though can do that too).
22Logo of the Dallas Stars-Do it all C, 2 great underage years.
23Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-Good first pass, but probably won't score a ton at the NHL level.
24Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Playmaker for Windsor. VGK needs them in spades.
25Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsBrodin's replacement? Could be a Brodin clone.
26Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-One year, PHI will stop taking Dmen, just not in 2020.
27Logo of the Washington Capitals-Swing for the fences, but scored a ton in Swedish juniors.
28Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningSJS needs Cs badly.
29Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Scorer no matter the league.
30Logo of the St. Louis Blues-Better than his brother is what is said about him. His brother has made a good name for himself. Could be a steal at this point.
31Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston BruinsAnother very young guy in college. Had a good year at UConn.
Mar. 16, 2020 at 5:08 p.m.
OTT is not drafting a Dman 3rd OA...if they draft any Dman with their first 2 picks, it will destroy their rebuild. THEY DON'T NEED DMEN THEY NEED TOP END FORWARD TALENT
Mar. 16, 2020 at 10:08 p.m.
I kinda hope the Wild don't take Holloway at 11, and I say this as a Badger fan... Good player but not sure he's worth taking at 11. Might have changed my mind if the season played out but as of now I'm still not sure what to think of him.
Mar. 17, 2020 at 3:00 a.m.
Brad Boyes please Wq
Quoting: athrin
OTT is not drafting a Dman 3rd OA...if they draft any Dman with their first 2 picks, it will destroy their rebuild. THEY DON'T NEED DMEN THEY NEED TOP END FORWARD TALENT

They need both
Mar. 17, 2020 at 8:53 a.m.
Quoting: StoneFan
They need both

they do yes but have Chabot, Brannstrom, Wolanin, JBD, Thomson and to a lesser extent Lajoie and Gaunnence (not the correct spelling) so at 2 and 3 they are taking forwards with the isles pick they can take a Dman like Guhle, Schneider etc.
athrin liked this.
Mar. 17, 2020 at 12:25 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Of course there will be a lottery. It will just be delayed until the NHL figures out what happens with the rest of the season.

And FINALLY, a non-Canadiens fan understands that the habs don't need centermen.
Mar. 17, 2020 at 10:18 p.m.
Evans truther
If Rossi would be 6' he'd go 1st overall, outproducing Lafrenière AND being a center he'd easily be a lock at number 1.

You're missing Jack Quinn, he's easily going top 15.
Nice mock!
Mar. 19, 2020 at 12:30 p.m.
Quoting: ColonelX
If Rossi would be 6' he'd go 1st overall, outproducing Lafrenière AND being a center he'd easily be a lock at number 1.

You're missing Jack Quinn, he's easily going top 15.
Nice mock!

I had Quinn plugged into a couple of spots and kept moving him down. I know he's well received by most. Could be a huge miss on my part. Could also be 32OA to DET.
Mar. 19, 2020 at 12:41 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Of course there will be a lottery. It will just be delayed until the NHL figures out what happens with the rest of the season.

And FINALLY, a non-Canadiens fan understands that the habs don't need centermen.

I think the lottery will depend on if/when the league restarts. If they don't get it started at all (a la 2005), I bet there won't be a lottery. If they get it with a very condensed playoff, then there will be.

Also, I'm shocked at the number of people who don't see all the C's in MON's org. They may not have a true #1 C, but they easily have a couple of #2 guys in Domi, Kotkaniemi and Suzuki, #3 guys in Poehling and Evans (yes, I know a couple of them have been playing W). They have a few Wingers in the org with Caufield and Ylonen, and maybe Hillis, but that's really it. At some point, Tatar, Gallagher, Byron, Weal et al will need to be replaced.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Mar. 19, 2020 at 1:03 p.m.
Quoting: sherrybear89
they do yes but have Chabot, Brannstrom, Wolanin, JBD, Thomson and to a lesser extent Lajoie and Gaunnence (not the correct spelling) so at 2 and 3 they are taking forwards with the isles pick they can take a Dman like Guhle, Schneider etc.

The reason why I picked Drysdale for OTT is because he's an offensive-minded rightie. Chabot is a leftie, and while Brannstrom is a righty, along with Thomson and JBD. I'm not as high on JBD or Thomson (though I'm higher on Thomson than JBD, I just don't see JBD as a play driver). Drysdale could slot into the #1 or #2 RHD spot next to Chabot, along with playing on the PP. Drysdale plays a lot more defense than the very O-minded Brannstrom (I could see Brannstrom being the #1 PP Dman, with Drysdale as the #2 PP Dman, depending on setup), but you could reasonable put Drysdale out with Chabot to close a game out (I'm not sure I'd do that with Brannstrom).

On F, OTT has Tkachuk, White, Duclair, Chlapik Hawryluk (not sure why FLA waived him, looks like a 3rd liner to me on most teams) and Balcers already in the NHL, with Norris, Formenton, Batherson, Brown and Abramov playing the minors, and Kastelic and Gruden in juniors. In college, you still have Pinto and Crookshank (could be a steal of a pick) playing in top positions for the respective college teams.

With 3 first-round picks in 2020, you could go a long way to deepening your entire club by taking high-end talent at both F and D early in the draft (top C in draft, top D in draft). This early in the draft, no team should be drafting for need, they should be drafting for talent.
sherrybear89 liked this.
Mar. 19, 2020 at 1:11 p.m.
Quoting: TanSor
I kinda hope the Wild don't take Holloway at 11, and I say this as a Badger fan... Good player but not sure he's worth taking at 11. Might have changed my mind if the season played out but as of now I'm still not sure what to think of him.

Holloway is already close to "pro" size (listed at 192lbs on CapFriendly), being one of the youngest guys in the college ranks this year. Wisconsin on the whole underperformed (with Turcotte, Caufield, Holloway, Lindmark, Miller, and Kalynuk it was one of the deeper teams in college), very disappointing for a Granato coached team. They couldn't stop anyone, nor could they really outscore anyone (how can that be?!?!??!) I still think everyone is very high on him, and he goes pretty early.
Mar. 19, 2020 at 1:28 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: TMarch
I think the lottery will depend on if/when the league restarts. If they don't get it started at all (a la 2005), I bet there won't be a lottery. If they get it with a very condensed playoff, then there will be.

Also, I'm shocked at the number of people who don't see all the C's in MON's org. They may not have a true #1 C, but they easily have a couple of #2 guys in Domi, Kotkaniemi and Suzuki, #3 guys in Poehling and Evans (yes, I know a couple of them have been playing W). They have a few Wingers in the org with Caufield and Ylonen, and maybe Hillis, but that's really it. At some point, Tatar, Gallagher, Byron, Weal et al will need to be replaced.

Exactly. Danault too. And while most of them can play wing, they’re much better as centers. IMO, Danault is already a really good 2C, while KK and Suzuki could definitely become #1s. If anything, we’ll need to trade someone like Domi and/or Poehling, since both of them are wasted on the wing, and there’s not much room at C for them. The habs could definitely use a skilled winger like Raymond on their team.
Mar. 19, 2020 at 3:15 p.m.
Evans truther
Could also be 32OA to DET.

He'll go in the Zary - Guhle range.
Apr. 2, 2020 at 2:57 p.m.
The reason why I picked Drysdale for OTT is because he's an offensive-minded rightie. Chabot is a leftie, and while Brannstrom is a righty, along with Thomson and JBD. I'm not as high on JBD or Thomson (though I'm higher on Thomson than JBD, I just don't see JBD as a play driver). Drysdale could slot into the #1 or #2 RHD spot next to Chabot, along with playing on the PP. Drysdale plays a lot more defense than the very O-minded Brannstrom (I could see Brannstrom being the #1 PP Dman, with Drysdale as the #2 PP Dman, depending on setup), but you could reasonable put Drysdale out with Chabot to close a game out (I'm not sure I'd do that with Brannstrom).

On F, OTT has Tkachuk, White, Duclair, Chlapik Hawryluk (not sure why FLA waived him, looks like a 3rd liner to me on most teams) and Balcers already in the NHL, with Norris, Formenton, Batherson, Brown and Abramov playing the minors, and Kastelic and Gruden in juniors. In college, you still have Pinto and Crookshank (could be a steal of a pick) playing in top positions for the respective college teams.

With 3 first-round picks in 2020, you could go a long way to deepening your entire club by taking high-end talent at both F and D early in the draft (top C in draft, top D in draft). This early in the draft, no team should be drafting for need, they should be drafting for talent.

I like your thinking. But I’m not sold on the forwards being high skilled as we need

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll