Forums/Armchair-GM

THERE IS NOT GOING TO BE CAP COMPLIANCE BUYOUTS

Created by: Jacketsman61
Team: 2020-21 Columbus Blue Jackets
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 23, 2020
Published: Mar. 23, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The cap is likely to remain the same. Teams should not be given compliance buyouts. Teams need to be accountable for the contracts they give out.

The reasons there were compliance buyouts with the current CBA was because of the drastic dip in the cap and new rules based on contracts themselves. None of that is applied here. So please stop with this dream of compliance buyouts.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$6,500,000
5$4,000,000
3$3,500,000
2$975,000
Trades
CBJ
    Not to this team but someone for picks and prospects
    ANA
    1. Anderson, Josh [RFA Rights]
    CBJ
      Not to this team but someone for picks and prospects
      OTT
      1. Korpisalo, Joonas [RFA Rights]
      Buyouts
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      22$81,500,000$63,212,500$0$1,225,000$18,287,500
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
      $2,250,000$2,250,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      $6,500,000$6,500,000
      C
      UFA - 2
      $5,875,000$5,875,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 5
      $2,750,000$2,750,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 3
      $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$375,000$375K)
      LW, C
      RFA - 2
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $897,500$897,500
      LW, C, RW
      RFA - 1
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      RW, LW
      RFA - 2
      $3,750,000$3,750,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 2
      $2,750,000$2,750,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $1,375,000$1,375,000
      LW, C, RW
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 1
      $975,000$975,000
      LW
      UFA - 2
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      $5,400,000$5,400,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $4,000,000$4,000,000
      LD
      UFA - 3
      $1,062,500$1,062,500
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $4,600,000$4,600,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $2,700,000$2,700,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 2
      $3,500,000$3,500,000
      G
      UFA - 2
      $1,650,000$1,650,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 2
      $975,000$975,000
      G
      RFA - 2
      $1,633,333$1,633,333
      LD
      UFA - 2
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $5,850,000$5,850,000
      C, LW
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Mar. 23, 2020 at 4:29 p.m.
      Banned
      Lol so were just gonna deal with having the same cap. Not happening.
      buyout has to be awarded if the cap stays the same. Teams that extended their players are prob mad
      Iraniel liked this.
      Actually since the NHL came out and said the cap would raise and teams started signing extensions to players based on a higher cap hit they might give teams a compliance buyout because if they don’t any team with an RFA who’s up against the cap now is screwed and going to lose their player for nothing. Columbus could fall into that category with Korpisalo, Anderson or PLD. Though I do think Columbus is in a better place then some teams like Tampa who are going to lose someone, just not all 3 of sergachev, Cerelli, and the other one who I’m forgetting his name now.
      palhal liked this.
      Habs
      If the cap ends up dropping (which is very possible) then compliance buyouts would definitely be in order.
      Kings v5 GM
      There should be a compliance buyout or the cap should keep going up. Escrow rates are still rising so there should be things put in place to make sure the cap is rising as well
      There is a very realistic scenario here where the cap could drop. In that case, compliance buyouts are in the realm of possibility for sure.
      Mar. 23, 2020 at 4:30 p.m.
      Your just saying that because Bob and Panarama didnt sign with you lol
      Mar. 23, 2020 at 4:32 p.m.
      Hakuna Matata
      there is going to be a buyout given to teams. 2 weeks ago the cap was supposed to be 84-88.2 now were getting projections of 81.5 or lower. If buyouts are not awarded teams will be pissed, no one can afford anything resulting in a possible lockout. Not saying this scenario could happen but if a buyout is not awarded the league is in trouble
      Ajp_18 liked this.
      Mar. 23, 2020 at 4:44 p.m.
      Banned
      I agree with you!! I hope there no buyout compliance allowed and first of all i don’t know where they heard that crazy rumors.
      Mar. 23, 2020 at 4:50 p.m.
      Banned
      Quoting: aadoyle
      there is going to be a buyout given to teams. 2 weeks ago the cap was supposed to be 84-88.2 now were getting projections of 81.5 or lower. If buyouts are not awarded teams will be pissed, no one can afford anything resulting in a possible lockout. Not saying this scenario could happen but if a buyout is not awarded the league is in trouble

There actually only three or four team that are in real danger if the cap stay put. All the other team can managed their way out, team will have to be creative. Boston didn’t wait and moved backes for a hefty price.
      Mar. 23, 2020 at 4:56 p.m.
      Potential team for Korpisalo (don't think you should trade him) is New Jersey or Detroit
      Mar. 23, 2020 at 5:11 p.m.
      MisstheWhalers
      I agree with this, GM's should have to deal with the contracts they signed, no get out of cap hell free cards!
      JayTea liked this.
      Mar. 23, 2020 at 5:45 p.m.
      LongtimeLeafsufferer
      Quoting: Ajp_18
      Actually since the NHL came out and said the cap would raise and teams started signing extensions to players based on a higher cap hit they might give teams a compliance buyout because if they don’t any team with an RFA who’s up against the cap now is screwed and going to lose their player for nothing. Columbus could fall into that category with Korpisalo, Anderson or PLD. Though I do think Columbus is in a better place then some teams like Tampa who are going to lose someone, just not all 3 of sergachev, Cerelli, and the other one who I’m forgetting his name now.

I agree with your statement that teams were basing signings on the projected 86m cap, so the NHL and NHLPA will have to adjust to the "Coronna cap". Let's say 15% drop. I believe that players even with their current contracts are going to have to take a reduction, no just compliance buyouts or currently unsigned players. The NHLPA will vote on this and I juts don't see that the majority members will sacrifice so much for their salaries, when the option is there that players with current contracts take a similar reduction.
      t
      Mar. 23, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.
      Welcome to the world of cap hell that teams like Chi have been living in for years.
      JayTea liked this.
      Mar. 23, 2020 at 7:36 p.m.
      14m in dead cap

Then those GMs should be fired for having a memory that only goes back about 6 months. Last summer they said the cap was going to be higher and then teams started extending their pending RFAs and UFAs, the actual cap was announced lower than previously stated. Only an idiot heard Daly say $84m-88m and thought that was actually happening while the players would need to approve it and were still losing money to escrow. Teams will have to get creative and I say that as a Caps fan, which was one of the most cap strapped teams this season and yet figured out how to ice a good team.
      MisstheWhalers liked this.
      Mar. 23, 2020 at 7:48 p.m.
      Quoting: JayTea
      Then those GMs should be fired for having a memory that only goes back about 6 months. Last summer they said the cap was going to be higher and then teams started extending their pending RFAs and UFAs, the actual cap was announced lower than previously stated. Only an idiot heard Daly say $84m-88m and thought that was actually happening while the players would need to approve it and were still losing money to escrow. Teams will have to get creative and I say that as a Caps fan, which was one of the most cap strapped teams this season and yet figured out how to ice a good team.

Lol. So you’d fire an GM who’s signed an extension in the last 6 months? I don’t think so.... I’m honestly not sure why you choose to quote me but fine. Players like Muzzins we signed because there was an expectation on the league numbers that the cap would increase. Same with other extensions for players. I hate to say it but signing an extension so you don’t lose a key player for your team is important. Washington is actually one of the better managed cap teams in the NHL. It’s teams like Detroit, Tampa and Toronto who will be losing players, Tampa will also struggle to put a 20 player team on the ice without help due to contracts signed in the past 3 years. If the cap ends up going down like they’re saying it will the KHL will get a good influx of players who NHL teams just can’t afford. Like sergachev, Cerelli, and others.
      Mar. 23, 2020 at 7:56 p.m.
      14m in dead cap
      Lol. So you’d fire an GM who’s signed an extension in the last 6 months? I don’t think so.... I’m honestly not sure why you choose to quote me but fine. Players like Muzzins we signed because there was an expectation on the league numbers that the cap would increase. Same with other extensions for players. I hate to say it but signing an extension so you don’t lose a key player for your team is important. Washington is actually one of the better managed cap teams in the NHL. It’s teams like Detroit, Tampa and Toronto who will be losing players, Tampa will also struggle to put a 20 player team on the ice without help due to contracts signed in the past 3 years. If the cap ends up going down like they’re saying it will the KHL will get a good influx of players who NHL teams just can’t afford. Like sergachev, Cerelli, and others.

I quoted you because you mentioned teams signing players after the “cap” was announced.

Actually since the NHL came out and said the cap would raise and teams started signing extensions to players based on a higher cap hit they might give teams a compliance buyoutbecause if they don’t any team with an RFA who’s up against the cap now is screwed and going to lose their player for nothing. Columbus could fall into that category with Korpisalo, Anderson or PLD. Though I do think Columbus is in a better place then some teams like Tampa who are going to lose someone, just not all 3 of sergachev, Cerelli, and the other one who I’m forgetting his name now.

Somehow I don’t feel bad for Tampa. All those awful contracts they gave out with NTC coming back to bite them. Toronto? Maybe don’t pay half your salary cap to 4 players? Detroit? It’ll help their rebuild I guess, not like they’re doing anything but drafting top 5 in 2021.
      Mar. 23, 2020 at 8:05 p.m.
      I quoted you because you mentioned teams signing players after the “cap” was announced.

Somehow I don’t feel bad for Tampa. All those awful contracts they gave out with NTC coming back to bite them. Toronto? Maybe don’t pay half your salary cap to 4 players? Detroit? It’ll help their rebuild I guess, not like they’re doing anything but drafting top 5 in 2021.

Tampa and Toronto I don’t feel bad for. But Detroit will lose their young players because of it so it won’t help with their rebuild. Teams are going to lose their RFAs because they can’t afford to keep them and other teams won’t be able to sign them... so the NHL is going to their players to the KHL.
      Mar. 23, 2020 at 8:46 p.m.
      14m in dead cap
      Tampa and Toronto I don’t feel bad for. But Detroit will lose their young players because of it so it won’t help with their rebuild. Teams are going to lose their RFAs because they can’t afford to keep them and other teams won’t be able to sign them... so the NHL is going to their players to the KHL.

Detroit has around $34m in cap space to sign all of their players. They'll figure out how to sign the guys who are part of their future and let the guys who aren't go. Given who their GM is, it'll probably be with some franchise crippling NTCs to lower the cap hit, they'll be fine.
      Mar. 23, 2020 at 8:49 p.m.
      14m in dead cap

Your worry about the KHL? Please... would a player rather make $3m to play for a team with cap space like Columbus or play in Vladivlastock for $1m. That may or may not be a team in the KHL, my point is if you're not playing in Moscow or St. Petersburg, the money isn't there.
      Mar. 23, 2020 at 9:23 p.m.
      Your worry about the KHL? Please... would a player rather make $3m to play for a team with cap space like Columbus or play in Vladivlastock for $1m. That may or may not be a team in the KHL, my point is if you're not playing in Moscow or St. Petersburg, the money isn't there.

Columbus won’t have the money to spend... they have their own contracts. For some players it may be KHL or nothing next year if all the teams are up against the cap...about the only team who could sine multiple players is Ottawa... he’s the other part of it... they have to offer them a contract too. Ottawa might be the only one who has the cap room to sign Hall to a reasonable contract this year... so now you have players taking less and skewing the market for next season unless everyone desires to take bridge contracts...

You’re making it seem like the cap not going up doesn’t just screw everyone. This screws the player more then anyone else. The players end up not being paid what they’re worth and skew the market down next season because of it...

I will also say this. No one has any idea of what’s really going to happen so it’s all just speculation at this point. No ones right and no ones wrong.
      Mar. 23, 2020 at 10:55 p.m.
      14m in dead cap
      Edited Mar. 23, 2020 at 11:18 p.m.
      Columbus won’t have the money to spend... they have their own contracts. For some players it may be KHL or nothing next year if all the teams are up against the cap...about the only team who could sine multiple players is Ottawa... he’s the other part of it... they have to offer them a contract too. Ottawa might be the only one who has the cap room to sign Hall to a reasonable contract this year... so now you have players taking less and skewing the market for next season unless everyone desires to take bridge contracts...

You’re making it seem like the cap not going up doesn’t just screw everyone. This screws the player more then anyone else. The players end up not being paid what they’re worth and skew the market down next season because of it...

I will also say this. No one has any idea of what’s really going to happen so it’s all just speculation at this point. No ones right and no ones wrong.

So you're saying poor Taylor Hall might not get overpaid by some GM with more cap space than sense? How ever will he pay his bills, we should probably start a GoFundMe right now to get this handled before he's homeless.
      Mar. 23, 2020 at 11:20 p.m.
      So you're saying poor Taylor Hall might not get overpaid by some GM with more cap space than sense? How ever will he pay his bills, we should probably start a GoFundMe right now to get this handled before he's homeless.

Okay... go away:.. you’re acting like a child now. Please stop.
      Mar. 24, 2020 at 12:15 a.m.

Teams should know by now that the cap can fluctuate. That was just an estimate. The cap will likely stay the same. If that is the case teams will just have to adjust to it. Plain and simple. When the CBA was sign the cap went down a very significant amount. Which prompted owner to ask for compliance buyouts because there just was no other way. There is ways but teams will need to be creative. The CBJ too.
      Mar. 24, 2020 at 12:23 a.m.
      Quoting: aadoyle

No there won't be. Look teams are expected to manage to cap. Those were just estimates. Last season everyone thought the cap was going up to 83 or 84 mil. The cap ended up at 81.5 mil. Teams are not going to get bailed out because they were overzealous. Again, cap compliance buyouts were only made available with the original signing of the current CBA because almost every team would have been unable to achieve compliancy. That is not the case here. Teams need to navigate the cap and make creative deals to manage it.
      Mar. 24, 2020 at 12:36 a.m.
      Hakuna Matata
      Edited Mar. 24, 2020 at 12:47 a.m.
      Quoting: Jacketsman61
      No there won't be. Look teams are expected to manage to cap. Those were just estimates. Last season everyone thought the cap was going up to 83 or 84 mil. The cap ended up at 81.5 mil. Teams are not going to get bailed out because they were overzealous. Again, cap compliance buyouts were only made available with the original signing of the current CBA because almost every team would have been unable to achieve compliancy. That is not the case here. Teams need to navigate the cap and make creative deals to manage it.

trust me knowing the league they are going to grant it. Most Teams have already signed contracts already expecting the cap to be 84-88.2 million. The league knows this. When the cap stayed the same back in 2013 due to a lockout each team was therefore granted two compliance buyouts. If a compliance buyout was granted back than they will do it now especially since the cap is projected to stay the same or even drop next season. Situations like this call for a compliance buy out or the league is screwed and when they return and have that meeting that agreement to not hold a lockout could be voided. If a lockout could grant 2 buyouts than this stoppage of hockey due to corona should also grant one

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll