Forums/Armchair-GM

Wild 2020 offseason

Created by: OutCold13
Team: 2020-21 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 24, 2020
Published: Mar. 24, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
My ideal Wild off season if the cap is rolled back and each team is allowed 1 compliance buyout. I'm guessing some of this is very wishful thinking but would be interested in other opinions.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$990,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$890,000
2$890,000
2$890,000
2$890,000
2$890,000
2$890,000
2$890,000
2$2,000,000
2$2,000,000
2$4,500,000
4$6,000,000
4$6,341,141
Offer Sheets
Offer sheet annual average (AAV) is calculated by dividing the contract value by the lower of: 1. The contract length, or 2. Five years
PLAYERAAVCOMPENSATION
Strome, Dylan$6,341,141
2021 1st round pick
2021 3rd round pick
Trades
MIN
MTL
  1. Dumba, Matt
  2. Zuccarello, Mats
Additional Details:
I saw this in another post it intrigued me, not sure all Habs fans will be on board.
MIN
    Compliance buyout
    MIN
    1. Sergachev, Mikhail [RFA Rights]
    TBL
    1. Hunt, Brad
    2. 2020 1st round pick (PIT)
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$78,000,000$67,227,104$0$132,500$10,772,896
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Minnesota Wild
    $1,625,000$1,625,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,900,000$1,900,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $6,341,141$6,341,141
    C
    UFA - 2
    $990,000$990,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,487,500$1,487,500
    C
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RW, C
    RFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $1,900,000$1,900,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,875,000$2,875,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $811,667$811,667 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
    C
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,166,667$4,166,667
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $890,000$890,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $7,538,462$7,538,462
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    $785,000$785,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $7,575,000$7,575,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 3
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Mar. 24, 2020 at 4:50 p.m.
    Banned
    that Sergachev trade is terrible. Strome is terrible only plays good because of Kane
    Mar. 24, 2020 at 4:52 p.m.
    Hockey Fan13
    Quoting: hockeytor_15
    that Sergachev trade is terrible. Strome is terrible only plays good because of Kane

Sergachev trade is terrible except because lightning are in cap hell they need a cheap reliable defenseman and a 1st.
    Mar. 24, 2020 at 4:54 p.m.
    Quoting: Paul13
    Sergachev trade is terrible except because lightning are in cap hell they need a cheap reliable defenseman

That they do, but Brad Hunt isn't that.
    Mar. 24, 2020 at 4:54 p.m.
    Banned
    Sergachev trade is terrible except because lightning are in cap hell they need a cheap reliable defenseman and a 1st.

Lol I am sure there are other teams willing to give up 2 first or a better package. If you haven't heard of a bridge deal its when you sign a player to 3-2 years and get them cheaper to see what they can do.
    Their not even in cap hell they are just really tight to the cap
    Mar. 24, 2020 at 4:55 p.m.
    Mayhew is on the roster when he has no business near NHL ice. Rask is a bought out with $6m in cap space. Khovanov on the roster. Trades that make no sense.

Not sure if this is supposed to be a troll post or what?
    Mar. 24, 2020 at 4:58 p.m.
    Hockey Fan13
    Quoting: hockeytor_15
    Lol I am sure there are other teams willing to give up 2 first or a better package. If you haven't heard of a bridge deal its when you sign a player to 3-2 years and get them cheaper to see what they can do.
    Their not even in cap hell they are just really tight to the cap

Very likely someone else does come up with a better package but we shall see.
    Mar. 24, 2020 at 4:58 p.m.
    Log off the internet
    TB counter-offers Kaprizov for a 2021 1st and Coburn
    Mar. 24, 2020 at 5:05 p.m.
    Hockey Fan13
    Quoting: wabit
    Mayhew is on the roster when he has no business near NHL ice. Rask is a bought out with $6m in cap space. Khovanov on the roster. Trades that make no sense.

Not sure if this is supposed to be a troll post or what?

What trade bothers you?
    Mar. 24, 2020 at 5:08 p.m.
    Hockey Fan13
    Quoting: Hedman77
    TB counter-offers Kaprizov for a 2021 1st and Coburn

Cool. Declined, Wild have salary cap to sign their players. I know you may find a better offer but more than likely a team just offer sheet him away giving you a 2021 1st and probably a 3rd. Could try the bridge deal but I still don't think you have cap space.
    Mar. 24, 2020 at 5:20 p.m.
    Log off the internet
    Cool. Declined, Wild have salary cap to sign their players. I know you may find a better offer but more than likely a team just offer sheet him away giving you a 2021 1st and probably a 3rd. Could try the bridge deal but I still don't think you have cap space.

How about Fiala and 3 1st's for Gourde
    Mar. 24, 2020 at 5:28 p.m.
    Hockey Fan13
    Quoting: Hedman77
    How about Fiala and 3 1st's for Gourde

Have a nice day.
    Mar. 24, 2020 at 5:51 p.m.
    What trade bothers you?

Trade Dumba to dump Zucc, just to get a 50-60p wing and an older rental version of Dumba. Neither the offense of the defense gets any better.

OS Strome who looks good with Kane, and not so good without Kane. The guy is a 3C you're paying $6m+ season.

Tampa trade isn't near enough, and not really a target MN should be after. Just re-sign Brodin for less than that.

Rask buyout is completely unneeded, there is plenty of cap space for him as the 4C/pressbox guy.

Zucc (or Spurgeon) should be the (unlikely imo) compliance buyout.

Parise is better than both Domi and Zucc. Undo the MTL trade completely, trade Dumba for something useful or keep him. Heck the Tor for Kerfoot+Bracco trades look good compared to Petry+Domi.

Put Parise back into the lineup and it's a better team overall. Kunin as the 4C is a complete waste.

Khovanov belongs in the AHL, so does Mayhew.
    Mar. 24, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.
    14m in dead cap
    Khovanov won't be in the NHL next year, people need to pump the brakes just a bit on him. Why buyout Rask if you have the cap space to keep him? He's a serviceable, though overpaid, center who can fill in for injuries in a pinch. Why trade for Domi just to put him on the LW? Strome isn't that good and giving up an unprotected 1st is silly given this team's inconsistency. Kunin should have a bigger role, not centering the 4th line. Maybe give Sturm a shot at 4C? Paying a 3rd pairing LHD $6m is insane.

And 29 other teams offer a better package for Sergachev. Tampa may need to move him due to cap problems, but they'll still get a decent return on him if they do.
    Mar. 24, 2020 at 6:19 p.m.
    Hockey Fan13
    Trade Dumba to dump Zucc, just to get a 50-60p wing and an older rental version of Dumba. Neither the offense of the defense gets any better.

OS Strome who looks good with Kane, and not so good without Kane. The guy is a 3C you're paying $6m+ season.

Tampa trade isn't near enough, and not really a target MN should be after. Just re-sign Brodin for less than that.

Rask buyout is completely unneeded, there is plenty of cap space for him as the 4C/pressbox guy.

Zucc (or Spurgeon) should be the (unlikely imo) compliance buyout.

Parise is better than both Domi and Zucc. Undo the MTL trade completely, trade Dumba for something useful or keep him. Heck the Tor for Kerfoot+Bracco trades look good compared to Petry+Domi.

Put Parise back into the lineup and it's a better team overall. Kunin as the 4C is a complete waste.

Khovanov belongs in the AHL, so does Mayhew.

I thank you for your response.

I probably should have kept Rask and left Mayhew In the AHL but i instantly buyout Rask everytime because that is going to happen most likely.
    Mayhew is just a filler I agree he is a great AHL guy, not a good NHL guy.

Trading Dumba is a way to get rid of Zuccarello and free up 12 mil in cap space.

Sergachev is a preperation to a aging Suter. The deal isn't fair value but given TB is screwed with the cap they will not be getting fair value.

I would definitely plan to resign Brodin after the expansion draft.

Strome is a risk but I am comfortable with it.

Parise was good this year but he can't have much left in the tank.

You lose a lot of credibility suggesting Kerfoot + Bracco is a better deal.

Sorry but I disagree.
    Mar. 24, 2020 at 6:25 p.m.
    Hockey Fan13
    Quoting: JayTea
    Khovanov won't be in the NHL next year, people need to pump the brakes just a bit on him. Why buyout Rask if you have the cap space to keep him? He's a serviceable, though overpaid, center who can fill in for injuries in a pinch. Why trade for Domi just to put him on the LW? Strome isn't that good and giving up an unprotected 1st is silly given this team's inconsistency. Kunin should have a bigger role, not centering the 4th line. Maybe give Sturm a shot at 4C? Paying a 3rd pairing LHD $6m is insane.

And 29 other teams offer a better package for Sergachev. Tampa may need to move him due to cap problems, but they'll still get a decent return on him if they do.

Sergachev is probably a pipe dream but worth a shot.
    Rask I always dump right away b4 I even look at the cap but right in this case I should have kept him. The Domi trade is about cap space and dumping Zuccarello. Though I like the idea of having a wing I can play at center.
    I know I over rate Strome, but I see nothing else anyone the Wild can draft will be 3 years away.
    Khovanov is more of a 20 game tryout that's why he is a wing. I don't think he is fully ready yet.
    Mar. 24, 2020 at 7:41 p.m.
    I thank you for your response.

I probably should have kept Rask and left Mayhew In the AHL but i instantly buyout Rask everytime because that is going to happen most likely.
    Mayhew is just a filler I agree he is a great AHL guy, not a good NHL guy.

Trading Dumba is a way to get rid of Zuccarello and free up 12 mil in cap space.

Sergachev is a preperation to a aging Suter. The deal isn't fair value but given TB is screwed with the cap they will not be getting fair value.

I would definitely plan to resign Brodin after the expansion draft.

Strome is a risk but I am comfortable with it.

Parise was good this year but he can't have much left in the tank.

You lose a lot of credibility suggesting Kerfoot + Bracco is a better deal.

Sorry but I disagree.

Kerfoot is an actual center, not a wing trying to playing center. Petry is old, has a year left on his deal, and doesn't add anything to the team that Dumba doesn't already do. For all the hate Zucc gets (and I'm one of the haters) he does still have very similar stats to Domi. Your claim to clear up $12m in cap is false. Petry+Domi is $10m. You save $2m, and spent your best trade chip to do it. Seriously this trade is as bad as all the Tor junk ones for Dumba that have littered the site for months.

Khovanov gets a couple of games in camp as a tryout then gets sent to the AHL. Beating up on kids in the Q in you draft year+2 isn't even close to playing in the NHL.

I want Zucc gone too, but the compliance buyout in your scenario is the way to go. Parise might have a season or two left and be done with hockey, but he is the perfect LTIR(etire) candidate. His real money salary drops to almost nothing the last 3 years of the deal. He can be traded then, or be used as a LTIR slush fund for MN.

Re-sign Chucky to play a bottom-6 center (he's been surprisingly good in the small sample size). Call up Strum to be a bottom-6 center. Sign Haula to be a middle-6 center. Maybe Koivu actually has something left and just came back from injury too soon.
    Mar. 25, 2020 at 10:59 a.m.
    Banned

laugh And you think Hunt+1st is enough to convince JBB to trade Sergachev to Minnesota. He'd laugh at that offer.
    Mar. 25, 2020 at 3:31 p.m.
    Hockey Fan13
    Quoting: DiehardRedWingsFan58
    laugh And you think Hunt+1st is enough to convince JBB to trade Sergachev to Minnesota. He'd laugh at that offer.

So I've been told. Tampa doesn't have enough cap space to sign him. A team could realistically offer sheet him away. My guess is he will come in at around 6 million a year. I could be wrong it could be more. But if its 6 million then Tampa would receive a 1st and a 3rd in 21. So hence my valuation of a 1st and Hunt. Why hunt you ask? Glad you did. He can play either side and has been pretty reliable for the Wild additionally he has a good shot that's useful on the pp. Mostly though he is about as cheap as you can get for tampa to plug in because they need players.
    You could have other teams offer more, and they probably will, just saying my offer is based on offer sheet price.
    Mar. 25, 2020 at 10:05 p.m.
    Hockey Fan13
    Kerfoot is an actual center, not a wing trying to playing center. Petry is old, has a year left on his deal, and doesn't add anything to the team that Dumba doesn't already do. For all the hate Zucc gets (and I'm one of the haters) he does still have very similar stats to Domi. Your claim to clear up $12m in cap is false. Petry+Domi is $10m. You save $2m, and spent your best trade chip to do it. Seriously this trade is as bad as all the Tor junk ones for Dumba that have littered the site for months.

Khovanov gets a couple of games in camp as a tryout then gets sent to the AHL. Beating up on kids in the Q in you draft year+2 isn't even close to playing in the NHL.

I want Zucc gone too, but the compliance buyout in your scenario is the way to go. Parise might have a season or two left and be done with hockey, but he is the perfect LTIR(etire) candidate. His real money salary drops to almost nothing the last 3 years of the deal. He can be traded then, or be used as a LTIR slush fund for MN.

Re-sign Chucky to play a bottom-6 center (he's been surprisingly good in the small sample size). Call up Strum to be a bottom-6 center. Sign Haula to be a middle-6 center. Maybe Koivu actually has something left and just came back from injury too soon.

So I looked into the stats a little closer and built a team according to your recommendations.

1st I should mention it's nice to know someone has more of a dislike for Domi than I do. What you say about Zuccarello and Domi having a similar statistical output is true especially if you go points/60.

I was suckered by the chance to dump Zuccarello.

I'll still argue Domi better than Kerfoot, but we both agree neither is going to help the Wild much.

To the point of the signings you suggested, it's a good route in the way that it keeps the Wild in good salary cap standing for future re-signing like, Fiala, Brodin, JEEK, and Kaprizov.
    The flaw to your method is it looks like another 1st round loss team. I know Kaprizov is a upgrade, but I fully expect him to struggle his first year, like many Russians do their 1st year, so he won't help much.
    Wild still need a youngish number 1 center because Staal seems to wear down as the season gets long.
    So I guess Wild are looking at trading Dumba + for a center, what's that deal going to look like iyo?
    Mar. 26, 2020 at 4:39 a.m.
    @Paul13 I don't actually dislike Domi. I think he's a really good player. He's just not the player MN needs with the way their roster is constructed. There are quite a few players out there in these ACGMs that I like to watch, but are a bad fit for the team.

The need for a 1C is the glaring hole, as always. A flat cap could actually help the Wild. It might make some guys more available next season as teams struggle to make their own cap work. It'll be a strange/interesting offseason.
    OutCold13 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll